• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

For people that primarily play smaller scale Halo (4v4/5v5), I think you could make a case for the Reach maps simply because there were more appropriately 4v4 sized maps on the disc than there are in Halo 4.
Even then though, the selection wasn't that great. It had more poor maps then good ones.

Even then though, the selection wasn't that great. It had more poor maps then good ones.

Selection isn't great in Halo 4 either.

I'm not saying that I think Reach has a hands down better map selection, but it's a bit absurd to say it's delusional to have that view, it's pretty valid to feel that way, especially for players that primarily play 4v4/5v5.

malfcn

Can't assassinate flag carriers? Because twice I haven't been able to do it. And their runner is just taking no damage from anyone.

DeadNames

Banned
Reach for sure had a better 4v4 map selection.

Good 4v4 Halo 4 maps:

Haven
Adrift
Solace(?)

Good 4v4 Reach maps:

Zealot
Sword Base (I didn't mind it)
Countdown
Powerhouse
I'm probably missing a few, but eh.

Halo 1 = Halo 2 maps > Halo 3 maps > Halo 4 maps > Reach maps.

Only counting the base shipped maps.

How the heck do you not include Halo 1? Fixed* and I agree.

I put the = because Halo 1/2 maps were both great. Hard to choose a clear winner IMO..

Camo doesn't belong in the game as an AA.

Seriously bullshit.

Get it right, son.

It was a bit of a hyperbole, yes. Didn’t mean to really offend anyone with it, but in hindsight I should have worded it better.

I barely played CE multiplayer, so I rather not comment on it.

I will never get over it OddOne!
<3
And true, that's too bad ;[

TheOddOne

Selection isn't great in Halo 4 either.

I'm not saying that I think Reach has a hands down better map selection, but it's a bit absurd to say it's delusional to have that view, it's pretty valid to feel that way, especially for players that primarily play 4v4/5v5.
It was a bit of a hyperbole, yes. Didn&#8217;t mean to really offend anyone with it, but in hindsight I should have worded it better.

How the heck do you not include Halo 1? Fixed* and I agree.

I put the = because Halo 1/2 maps were both great. Hard to choose a clear winner IMO..
I barely played CE multiplayer, so I rather not comment on it.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I feel like if Reach hadn't given us a platter of such shitty maps I'd be more critical of 4's selection. But in contrast to Reach they seem Halo 3 quality at least. People forget that Halo 3 only had a few strong maps at launch. And frankly, even now I'd almost put Haven on the same level as The Pit.

Halo 2 Maps > Halo PC Maps > Halo CE Maps = Halo 3 Maps > Halo 4 Maps > Halo Reach Maps > Halo Wars Maps

Solace is horribly underrated. Without all those fucking UNSC crates it'd be god-tier. To the people saying it's too labyrinthine need to learn how to parkour across all the ledges and shit.

Omni

OT: Check out this kickstarter for "Radio the Universe", a sci-fi induced Zelda. Posted about it a while in the main Kickstarter thread on the gaming side, it was then at $2,000. Surprisingly nobody heard of the game untill I brought it up.

I don't know how to explain it without sounding naive... but I don't like kickstarters. Those "stretch goals" kinda irritate me. Now I know pretty much every game in existence has had features cut, it's just something about the whole "if we don't get x amount of money, you don't get x feature" that bothers me.

Saying that, I might pledge 10 bucks.

Kuroyume

Banned
People that camp with camo are going to camp anyway. Camping is a strategy in nearly all FPS. It's what people do whether you like it or not.

TheOddOne

I don't know how to explain it without sounding naive... but I don't like kickstarters. Those "stretch goals" kinda irritate me. Now I know pretty much every game in existence has had features cut, it's just something about the whole "if we don't get x amount of money, you don't get x feature" that bothers me.

For bigger studios who kickstart, I agree. However for these really small projects, I rather they be realistic about what they can do with the money. I utterly hate when they overpromise and the eventual product becomes this waterdown version. Radio the Universe kickstarter is just being realistic, heck their base funding goal wasn’t that high to begin with.

malfcn

Love the game, but fucking done with this shit tonight.

Dudes meleeing air and other stuff that gets impossible kills is a boner killer.

For bigger studios who kickstart, I agree. However for these really small projects, I rather they be realistic about what they can do with the money. I utterly hate when they overpromise and the eventual product becomes this waterdown version. Radio the Universe kickstarter is just being realistic, heck their base funding goal wasn&#8217;t that high to begin with.

I see it like: OK these games are funded by people. They don't have some big company breathing down them for a release date. Games tend to be in development forever if they don't because people are always adding and fixing the game forever.

So by these stretch goals they are just dedicating themselves to features if they see this much money well guarantee this is in it and wont get cut. Which is what gamers want, it encourages them to give more money so we can get features. This creates hope.

Whereas a larger game with a deadline promises everything and then slowly cuts and removes features til it can get released on time. This only creates disappointment.

I know Shadowrun Returns hit its goal offered stretch goals hit a few of those. They now will have two campaigns in different cities. More classes. And some other stuff I forgot. Although their original estimated date was unrealistic so they pushed it back. The features took the priority over release date. Ultimately this is best for the gamer. Even if it takes more time. Larger studios dont have this luxury.

Which is often why you'll see these little indie games deliver these features and gameplay and are like "How the hell did they do this with these resources?!" Mostly because they had time (and passion) to do it all.

Thats wordy: Basically I like Kickstarter extended goals cause you are locking in features. I think like this, if I could lock in 60 fps for Halo 4 or Dedi's I would pay a shitload and I wouldn't care if it came out in three years. I would wait knowing something great was coming that fit my needs.

TheOddOne

I see it like: OK these games are funded by people. They don't have some big company breathing down them for a release date. Games tend to be in development forever if they don't because people are always adding and fixing the game forever.

So by these stretch goals they are just dedicating themselves to features if they see this much money well guarantee this is in it and wont get cut. Which is what gamers want, it encourages them to give more money so we can get features. This creates hope.

Whereas a larger game with a deadline promises everything and then slowly cuts and removes features til it can get released on time. This only creates disappointment.

I know Shadowrun Returns hit its goal offered stretch goals hit a few of those. They now will have two campaigns in different cities. More classes. And some other stuff I forgot. Although their original estimated date was unrealistic so they pushed it back. The features took the priority over release date. Ultimately this is best for the gamer. Even if it takes more time. Larger studios dont have this luxury.

Which is often why you'll see these little indie games deliver these features and gameplay and are like "How the hell did they do this with these resources?!" Mostly because they had time (and passion) to do it all.

Thats wordy: Basically I like Kickstarter extended goals cause you are locking in features. I think like this, if I could lock in 60 fps for Halo 4 or Dedi's I would pay a shitload and I wouldn't care if it came out in three years. I would wait knowing something great was coming that fit my needs.
All I can say is hire juices.

Well said.

It definitely has to be something game makers keep in check, I think. Asking for people to pay up front for your really cool idea can be great and all for indie devs, or popular artists who want to try something edgy, but don't want to risk working on something, only for it not to sell. At the same time... When every new dev is doing this kickstarter thing, you could get a bunch of vaporware. Anyone can come up with an idea, but it's a waste of a lot of people's time I think when you're dealing with people who see Kickstarter as less of an idea-funding engine, and more of a quick cash grab for a product you haven't even made yet. But you also have to consider that not every concept looks fun or interesting in the beginning, so using Kickstarter as the "judge" or what have you of whether your game can be successful is kinda iffy.

I probably sound naive, too.

Gah....

I've been trying to use the thruster-boost lately for a few reasons:

1) I'm trying to keep the game interesting by giving myself new challenges

2) I felt like I was starting to lean a little too heavily on PV as a crutch

But I'm finding that I go through entire matches without even using it, like I'm forgetting it's even there.

So far the best tactic I've found with it are to thrust at a forward diagonal in the middle of a mid-range gun-fight, basically combining a lateral strafe with the boost forward to simultaneously break their bead on me and quickly move to their side faster than they can turn (assuming they're not using a high stick sensitivity... which few people seem to). I use the second stick to adjust the camera mid-boost, obviously, so that I have a bead on them coming out of the animation.

This only works when I'm in tighter than mid-range though (basically unscoped DMR or BR range), any farther out and it's pretty simple for them to keep tracking me through the animation.

I also find that jumping and strafing side-ways or backwards in mid-air is a good way to break a bead, and typically works for a quick evasion.

Any other effective/creative uses of thruster? And at what point in the fight (ie, how much shield damage have you taken) do you choose to use it?

Thanks

Gah....

But I'm finding that I go through entire matches without even using it, like I'm forgetting it's even there.

So far the best tactic I've found with it are to thrust at a forward diagonal in the middle of a mid-range gun-fight, basically combining a lateral strafe with the boost forward to simultaneously break their bead on me and quickly move to their side faster than they can turn (assuming they're not using a high stick sensitivity... which few people seem to). I use the second stick to adjust the camera mid-boost, obviously, so that I have a bead on them coming out of the animation.

This only works when I'm in tighter than mid-range though (basically unscoped DMR or BR range), any farther out and it's pretty simple for them to keep tracking me through the animation.

I also find that jumping and strafing side-ways or backwards in mid-air is a good way to break a bead, and typically works for a quick evasion.

Any other effective/creative uses of thruster? And at what point in the fight (ie, how much shield damage have you taken) do you choose to use it?

Thanks

I'm still waiting for that bubbling shit cauldron, dude, and I'm not getting any younger.

Gah....

Thanks

Going out of lifts and then backing up is somewhat useful. It really is mainly for fake-outs, like jumping off the map and then thrusting backward back onto it, things like that. You can do things like thrust backward if someone is about to assassinate you, and then can instead assassinate them. Ninja a ninja. I haven't noticed it really improving my movement on the map, though, aside from small things like going off a lift in Haven, then thrusting backward to go to the street above, quickly.

This is the CRAZIEST glitch I have ever seen in a Halo game.. I'm playing Spartan Ops and there are weapons shooting us from 2 inches off the floor.

Seriously.

The weapons themselves are floating around Complex 2 inches off the ground, throwing grenades and killing us LMFAO! They're Elites making sounds and shit.

blamite

This is the CRAZIEST glitch I have ever seen in a Halo game.. I'm playing Spartan Ops and there are weapons shooting us from 2 inches off the floor.

Seriously.

The weapons themselves are floating around Complex 2 inches off the ground, throwing grenades and killing us LMFAO! They're Elites making sounds and shit.

I think Ellis said at the time that the tiny Covenant thing was intentional somehow... Did anyone ever figure out how it's supposed to be triggered?

Fotos

Seriously.

happened to me a few weeks ago.

GrizzNKev

Banned
JiP ruined the game for me today. I was trying to do the CTF daily and it put me in three consecutive games where my team was already losing by at least 2 caps.

SO FRUSTRATING UGHHH

You guys should like this. Much much more detail on my upcoming sandbox revision. I'd post images of the charts but imgur and minus are being weird for me right now.

Click to view the actual document(s).

I'm sorry. Please I really don't mean to offend. What exactly is the point of a document like this.

It just seems like you put a good amount of time and work into it, and I don't think I understand why. I understand what the document is, but what's it's purpose?

I'm sorry. Please I really don't mean to offend. What exactly is the point of a document like this.

It just seems like you put a good amount of time and work into it, and I don't think I understand why. I understand what the document is, but what's it's purpose?

It's just all of the statistical data that's going to be part of a much larger writeup I'm doing in an attempt to discuss a possible sandbox for Halo 5. It's kind of like how 343 did the weapon details in their weekly updates, but with actual combat information instead of things like manufacturers. Everything will be more polished and readable along with complimentary media like animations and stuff when the writeup itself comes out. This is just to give people an idea of the thought process behind it. As much as I'd love to have an easier way to document all the raw data, there's not much you can do when you have like 40 weapons and upwards of 15 descriptors per weapon.

I think 343 either needs to go all out with weapon counts and have one per faction or go back to Halo's roots (lol) and go minimal. I decided to do both with my sandbox; there are about 40 weapons total with a single "wild card" weapon for each faction that doesn't share a sandbox role with the others, but the UNSC weapons are set up in such a way that you could isolate them (to about 11, excluding the Spartan Laser) and have a competitively balanced sandbox for things like Slayer Pro.

In addition to this, there's even variation among weapon categories--for example, Rockets are anti-air, Plasma Launcher is for light/medium vehicles like Warthogs, and the Incineration Cannon is meant to take out heavy vehicles like the Mantis and Wraith.

Louis Wu

Nope, the helmet is blatantly the Marathon helmet.

marathon.jpg

marine.jpg

Falls under copyright.

Now, they could do an "inspired by" kind of helmet.. but it'd be kind of pointless as the point of the helmet was a callback to Bungie's previous work. 343 doing it would be kind of hollow.
Heh - except that Mullins image was created long before he ever did any work for Bungie - it's fan art, pure and simple. Not sure that's how copyright works...

(Yes, he based the picture off the in-game helmet - but the in-game helmet was about 50 pixels. The detail is all his. If Bungie's Halo 3 helmet is based off this pic, and you're right, it seems to be... that's Mullins' work.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom