• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Mix

Okay...
Bungie.net updates into the long anticipated Bungie.Next and fans are upset by unforeseen changes and reasonably so. They weren't told their precious forum was going to change completely over night, from having an organized, specific format to being a social dump of oddly set comments like that of Facebook.
Bungie acknowledges the fact that they made mistakes by the end of the following week and gives us their famous line Soon(tm). They'd fix it Soon(tm). Less than a month after the launch of the site, Bungie releases fixes: actual forum categories, the ability to make your background dark again, etc. Bungie fixed their own problems and in a hurry...
343i has been fantastic about everything they've done, given the fact that they're a new studio and everything along those lines. They have a ton of room for improvement and they have a lot to do to earn some of our respect back, but I'm over happy with what they are doing, they just need to pick up their own pace.

tl;dr: Bungie is doin' it right, 343i has some stuff to learn.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Still trying to understand how no JIP is competitive. Do you just end the match if somebody is dropped or drops out?

If not...
Until JiP works as intended, there shouldn't be JiP IMO. It does more harm than good.

Also, I agree that Palmer wasn't a wasteful PoS for once. Still a bad character though. Hopefully there is some development ahead.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Watch that playlist be at the bottom of the list.

Despite some theories, this doesn't matter at all. Look at SWAT.

I'm actually excited for once. They're listening? They want to make an ideal competitive playlist for our 1-50 needs?

wow

Only thing to ask now is why it took so damn long.

Had a very close and good game of Boundless BRs.

One think I don't like about the maps in Halo 4 is that none of them have a quirkiness. For Snowbound, it's the fact that you can see through to the other side (above) while you're in the bases. Valhalla had the plasma shooting out of its bases, Sandtrap and Sandbox had their weird barriers, Terminal had its train, Relic had that unlockable teleportor, and so on. You get the idea.

Where are my quirky maps, 343?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Community Cocktographer

tag me baby

Also

Frankie said:
Personally I think join in progress would occasionally be helpful when teammates have to bail. Or are jerks, but ultimately this combined with CSR means that people will, on balance, prefer the predictability that no JIP will bring.

michael-jordan-fist_display_image.jpg

Not that I hate JiP but it just has no place in ranked settings. Glad to see CSR isn't just some bullshit number.

Before everyone gets excited,
-They haven't removed auto pickup or the ability to drop the flag in CTF.
-We don't know if the ordnance is random, just that it is on timers. Why not use static weapon spawns?
-Is there a penalty for quitting?
-Preset loadouts probably means DMR and BR instead of one or the other
-Sprint is still in the game

A step in the right direction but this does not "save Halo" by any means. A lot of these settings should be standard across all playlists anyways.

GrizzNKev

Banned
-We don't know if the ordinance is random, just that it is on timers. Why not use static weapon spawns?

Ideally the part where he said they're going to talk about it in more detail shortly and are expecting feedback to make adjustments to what we actually want.
I may be cynical but I haven't run out of hope yet.

A step in the right direction but this does not "save Halo" by any means. A lot of these settings should be standard across all playlists anyways.

I'd rather play some Halo than no Halo.
Frankie seems to understand too but wouldn't squeak on it until it was out in the open.

THIS IS WHAT IT TAKES 343. Don't fuck up again.

-We don't know if the ordinance is random, just that it is on timers. Why not use static weapon spawns?

C'mon man...this is a huge step forward. No need to knock it off it's pedestal immediatly by pointing out every negative

Fuchsdh

Why are you still here if this is such an issue for you? This is 2013. That battle was lost a long time ago.

Tashi

Props to Bravo and Kevin Franklin for doing this up. This will hopefully be what the MLG playlist and gametype settings have been since the Halo 2 days.
About 90% of what I'll play

Ordnance clearly can't be "random" if it's on timers. Being able to time it makes it predictable.

I'm sure your CSR will take a negative hit if you quit.

Everything else you mentioned is hardly a problem.

Tashi

Ordnance clearly can't be "random" if it's on timers. Being able to time it makes it predictable.

The location of drops in Global Ordnance is random, the timers are not. It's every 2 minutes in standard matchmaking.

I'll bet my left nut that Global Ordnance as we know it will not be in this competitive playlist.

Also, hope you guys hate radar as much as I do, because that shit has no place in a competitive playlist.

The location of drops in Global Ordnance is random, the timers are not. It's every 2 minutes in standard matchmaking.

I'll bet my left nut that Global Ordnance as we know it will not be in this competitive playlist.

Also, hope you guys hate radar as much as I do, because that shit has no place in a competitive playlist.
I'm sure that you'll be able to predict where weapons will be spawning, even if it means that a weapon spawns at point A and then later spawns at point B. Since they're on timers, you'll know that, for example, once you pick sniper up at point A it will spawn at point B in X amount of time.

Maybe I'm wrong on that, but that's what I assumed when I read it. I'm no expert on how ordnance currently works in Halo 4, I only know what I've observed (and I'm sure my observations aren't 100% perfect).

Also while I don't hate Radar, I'm not against it being taken out for this playlist.

As Tashi said, it is random. I didn't even bring up Halo 4's maps, which may be a problem.

This is one step closer to what the game needs to be, but I'm not sure that it is enough.

Read last sentence. Was editing when you posted. It is a move in the right direction but I'm hoping for them to do more.

We all are, but it's not going to happen overnight or even in a month. Halo 4 has to go through a lot of changes to be competitive as much as we want. This playlists addresses many concerns, more than anyone predicted 343 would do. The more we appreciate this direction, the better Halo 4 will hopefully change.

We all are, but it's not going to happen overnight or even in a month. Halo 4 has to go through a lot of changes to be competitive as much as we want. This playlists addresses many concerns, more than anyone predicted 343 would do. The more we appreciate this direction, the better Halo 4 will hopefully change.

Introducing static weapon spawns, forced starting weapons, and eliminating sprint would be easy changes that could be introduced into this playlist. They are taking a step in the right direction but they could take a bigger step.

Tashi

I'm sure that you'll be able to predict where weapons will be spawning, even if it means that a weapon spawns at point A and then later spawns at point B. Since they're on timers, you'll know that, for example, once you pick sniper up at point A it will spawn at point B in X amount of time.

Maybe I'm wrong on that, but that's what I assumed when I read it.

Also while I don't hate Radar, I'm not against it being taken out for this playlist.

It could be like that but I would be very surprised. I'm also not against a system like that and it's something I wish Global Ordnance was. A set order of locations and weapon drops that can be memorized for the hardcore and essentially random for the casuals. However, if I had to choose, I would have the classic style.

It could be like that but I would be very surprised. I'm also not against a system like that and it's something I wish Global Ordnance was. A set order of locations and weapon drops that can be memorized for the hardcore and essentially random for the casuals. However, if I had to choose, I would have the classic style.
I'm just trying to be optimistic. And if it were up to me I'd go back to the classic system to, but I wouldn't mind seeing a less random version of global ordnance either.

Introducing static weapon spawns, forced starting weapons, and eliminating sprint would be easy changes that could be introduced into this playlist. They are taking a step in the right direction but they could take a bigger step.

I agree with everything but the forced starting weapons. What if 343's pre-set loadouts are BR and DMR? We'll be able to choose, I'd rather want that than be forced. Pre-set loadouts can be great if implemented correctly and this may be 343's chance to try that out.

Tashi

And it'll be able to be updated outside of the MLG tournament shedule! We won't have to put up with a single person at MLG cockblocking playlist updates with content from their community for no reason!

No the worst was having the new MLG settings come out (which were sometimes very drastic changes) and then having to wait a month or longer until the playlist could be updated. With this new weekly system, that shit won't happen.

Hopefully some of these changes will be rolled out into the other playlists. I want to see the ranked/social divide of H3 and H2 return. Naming this playlist Team Slayer would be a great way to start.

Also, does no split screen play mean that two accounts on the same xbox can't play together? I'm all for now guests but two accounts on the same xbox does not bother me.

-We don't know if the ordnance is random, just that it is on timers. Why not use static weapon spawns?

0vidi74.gif

"Due to low population numbers, we are removing Squad Slayer Pro in favor of Infinity Grifball."

OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD those settings

FyreWulff

Hopefully some of these changes will be rolled out into the other playlists. I want to see the ranked/social divide of H3 and H2 return. Naming this playlist Team Slayer would be a great way to start.

Also, does no split screen play mean that two accounts on the same xbox can't play together? I'm all for now guests but two accounts on the same xbox does not bother me.

No Guests and No Split Screen are mentioned separately so I assume this will be the first Halo playlist at Max Local Players: 1 (that's not Score Attack)

I agree with everything but the forced starting weapons. What if 343's pre-set loadouts are BR and DMR? We'll be able to choose, I'd rather want that than be forced. Pre-set loadouts can be great if implemented correctly and this may be 343's chance to try that out.

Personally I think including both in the game was a mistake from the beginning. I'd rather them just commit to one weapon or the other.

No Guests and No Split Screen are mentioned separately so I assume this will be the first Halo playlist at Max Local Players: 1 (that's not Score Attack)

Interesting. Doesn't really affect me but it is strange to see that change.

Top Bottom