• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Wait a second, it's been six months. What the hell has Chief been up to during Spartan Ops, just chilling in the Infinity break room with coffee and Emotions Monthly while Sarah Palin Palmer is leading Crimson on a button quest?

Also, can we reunite Chief with Halsey sooner rather than later? Something tells me it wouldn't be in best interest to effectively be putting the goddamn Master Chief's closest thing to a mother in custody surrounded by armed guards. I have a feeling he wouldn't appreciate that much.

And I want to see Chief grab one of her guard's guns and just bend it in half in front of them or some shit. Protective Chief is the best Chief.

Nah, sounds way too official for that.
Perhaps

Replace John in what? It's not like they've been using/needing him ever since he went into crytostasis. Now if your talking about rank, do you think that Master Chief would care about his rank to do what's necessary?
Sounds like the dude wants to get rid of Chief's legacy in replace for his own.

Rank or not it doesn't matter to john obviously.

I don't see how you could have a shooter created by MLG that would ultimately work. If people don't wanna' play it, they aren't going to want to watch it, necessarily, so I think a top-down approach would be waaay too much of a risk. As for developers, I don't think it makes much sense for them to brand their game the MLG game.

The market for MLG is just not large enough or have enough clout. That would be like EGL deciding they hated StarCraft and trying to make their own RTS.

He talks about how now is not the time, but down the line. Possibly with a controlling influence on the MP of some future arena shooter.

Moa

Wait a second, it's been six months. What the hell has Chief been up to during Spartan Ops, just chilling in the Infinity break room with coffee and Emotions Monthly while Sarah Palin Palmer is leading Crimson on a button quest?

We'll likely know more at the end of Season 1, now that Halsey knows he is alive, she won't give up until she can see him & Cortana.

CyReN

MLG was "working" on a game around Halo 2/3, guess it fell through. Interesting read.

-----
MLG Black Ops 2 already at 64 passes sold in 2 hours, a lot quicker than I imagined.

Fuchsdh

He talks about how now is not the time, but down the line. Possibly with a controlling influence on the MP of some future arena shooter.

I know, but what would compel someone to essentially cede their design to MLG's whims? Not saying they couldn't design a good shooter, but it doesn't seem like a good idea for the developer. My point is MLG doesn't have the acclaim or the clout. They aren't "The NFL's official game" type deal, now or in the near (<5 years) future definitely, and most likely not even after that.

Thats gonna be good. I think I remember juggling March Madness and a MLG event last year too. Probably be a good weekend.

Who wants to bet they hit 20k concurrent viewers and that will be higher than any playlist population in H4?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
MLG was "working" on a game around Halo 2/3, guess it fell through. Interesting read.

-----
MLG Black Ops 2 already at 64 passes sold in 2 hours, a lot quicker than I imagined.

I remember that. What was the studio name? It was something with an "A"

I have an idea, if MLG likes Halo 2 so much....wait for it.... Why don't they just play Halo 2 again!

I'm kidding, plz no hate

I know this is a joke but some people really say this. MLG needs competitors and to have the most possible they need to use the newest installment of the franchise. While a halo 2 tournament would be great the amount of competitors that would show up would be underwhelming.

Ghazi

I hope you aren't being serious.
I'm not, I'm not that stupid.

I know that it wouldn't bring in many viewers or competitors, everyone wants to play what's new because what was out before has already been played a lot (obviously) but with franchises starting to go in different directions like Halo 4 and I would say Black Ops 2 (it's seems like the most radical shift in the series recently) there aren't going to be any "good" competitive games to play and showcase. As much as I'd like to go back to the good old days, it's obviously impossible that something like that would be logically viable for many reasons. I know my post doesn't seem we'll thought out and doesn't make too much sense but it's not easy typing long detailed paragraphs on mobile.

heckfu

Banned
slightly off topic, but quick question about PAX.

So I got a saturday pass for PAX east since all of 3-day passes were sold out. I have classes until 12 on fridays, but I'm already in Boston so I could easily go that day as well. Is it worth it to buy a friday pass as well if I'm just going from 1 onwards, or is friday kind of a slow day?

Never been to an expo, so not really sure.
PAX prime was definitely fun all 3 days so I'd go ahead and say get one!

You're literally like a day late though, just gave away my 3 day for free :(

Quick Thought: Could Halsey's Mysterious ONI Imposter/Interrogator be a former Spartan seeking to replace John?

Eh, I don't think he's a replacement, but I do think there is more to that story.. I wouldn't be surprised if the interrogation happens post Halo 4, maybe even post Spartan Ops.

Danny 117

Eh, I don't think he's a replacement, but I do think there is more to that story.. I wouldn't be surprised if the interrogation happens post Halo 4, maybe even post Spartan Ops.

It could have been but Halsey [episode 7 spoilers]
finds out MC is alive in episode 7 so the line "his file reads missing in action" makes no sense if it's post spartan ops.

Man

I JIP'd a Dominion game, spawned, got sniped literally within 1 second, gotta be a record. I then got spawn trapped 5 more times before the game gave me a decent spawn point. Then got betrayed and spawned out in the open again, bloody ell. Other team had 3 snipers, spartan laser guy, banshee, most using camo, hiding behind anything possible. Teammates going 1-20, etc

Love this game

Dominion is a shitty mess, Reach was 24/7 Invasion for me... I think I played 6 Dominion matches.

Rip in peace Prometheans v.s Spartans mode.

Well I'm about to get blown away by a tornado. Been real folks.

: /

image.php

Seriously though, stay safe.

I can't do this anymore.
This base game isn't fun competitively, and it's not viable to play it socially.

I just tried to relax and play some Halo with my brother who isn't very good.
So we hop into Forge Test because it most resembles classic Halo... First game we get matched against Ninja who is playing with three other really good players.
Yep, that was fun. True skill.
So we move to Infinity Slayer, and are still matched against a bunch of people my skill level, trying extremely hard.

What was so wrong with Ranked and Social playlists?
I just don't get it.
None of my friends who are good at the game actually want to play it.
And I feel bad when playing with my less skilled friends because we get matched against really good players.

Back to COD I guess.

I can't do this anymore.
This base game isn't fun competitively, and it's not viable to play it socially.

I just tried to relax and play some Halo with my brother who isn't very good.
So we hop into Forge Test because it most resembles classic Halo... First game we get matched against Ninja who is playing with three other really good players.
Yep, that was fun. True skill.
So we move to Infinity Slayer, and are still matched against a bunch of people my skill level, trying extremely hard.

What was so wrong with Ranked and Social playlists?
I just don't get it.
None of my friends who are good at the game actually want to play it.
And I feel bad when playing with my less skilled friends because we get matched against really good players.

Back to COD I guess.
Was that game against Ninja on Relay by chance? I hope not. Truskill indeed. What a blatant mismatch.

Fracas

#fuckonami
If I got matched with Ninja, I'd probably try for awhile, but eventually I'd give up and just start teabagging or something.

PAX prime was definitely fun all 3 days so I'd go ahead and say get one!

You're literally like a day late though, just gave away my 3 day for free :(
DrunkFu
Dominion is a shitty mess, Reach was 24/7 Invasion for me... I think I played 6 Dominion matches.

Rip in peace Prometheans v.s Spartans mode.
Challenge to the MP designers: Create a three-way elaborate objective gametype between Spartans, Elites, and Prometheans.

The potential for awesomeness would be high, the gametype would probably not live up to that potential as both Invasion and Dominion failed to.

Challenge to the MP designers: Create a three-way elaborate objective gametype between Spartans, Elites, and Prometheans.

The potential for awesomeness would be high, the gametype would probably not live up to that potential as both Invasion and Dominion failed to.
Halo Wars 2

Top Bottom