• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Alright weird question. I don't know if it is just my monitor calibration but has anyone noticed that some of the guns in Halo 4, like the Railgun, have weird coloring artifacts on them? Like you can see weird greens and blues and other rainbow colors on the gun?

Due to bandwidth™ reasons they had to save all the Ordnance models as jpegs. For shame 343.

I hopped into BTB again today and also experienced significant lag. Also played Nexuiz local with bots because nobody else was playing it and experienced some major frame drops. :lol they made it too pretty, sadly.

Rev3rb

Alright weird question. I don't know if it is just my monitor calibration but has anyone noticed that some of the guns in Halo 4, like the Railgun, have weird coloring artifacts on them? Like you can see weird greens and blues and other rainbow colors on the gun?

Nope

Rainbow weapon skins confirmed.

Seriously though, its probably an issue with the monitor.

Computron

Everyone's been talking about audio. cool.

I have been trying to learn more about Adobe Audition lately. I dont really have a penchant for audio, but it comes up occasionally and its nice to know.
I have no idea how foley artists do it, but respect to those guys. (Plus that sounds like a fun job.)
Just making audio sound like it is coming from a direction in stereo is difficult, let alone trying to integrate it into it's environment with occlusion, compression, reverb, and all the other effects.
And they have to do this stuff for every single sound in a movie, excluding dialogue, for a ~2 hour production, in surround sound.

Well, anyway... I tried giving the warthog a radio. It's not very good. :-/

(Watch with Headphones)

The clips are just high rated ones I found on Bungie Pro.

Anyone have experience with adding/integrating positional sound-effects/foley onto video?

-----

Also, here is a video of a research project presented at siggraph in 2010 on physically simulating the propagation of audio for applications such as video games.

They show some examples with Half life 2. It's really slick, and I would love to see something like this in a Halo game.

m23

Everyone's been talking about audio, cool.

I have been trying to learn more about Adobe Audition lately. I dont really have a penchant for audio, but it comes up occasionally and its nice to know.
I have no idea how foley artists do it, but respect to those guys. (Plus that sounds like a fun job.)
Just making audio sound like it is coming from a direction in stereo is difficult, let alone trying to integrate it into it's environment with occlusion, compression, reverb, and all the other effects. And they have to do this stuff for every single sound in a movie other than diolouge for a ~2 hour production, in surround sound.

Well, anyway, I tried giving the warthog a radio. It's not very good. :-/
(Watch with Headphones) The clips are just high rated ones I found on Bungie Pro.

Anyone have experience with adding positional sound effects to video?

That video was so awesome. Nice song choice lol.

Mix

I hate regicide. I legitimately HATE it. I won more than three matches today with a final score of 305 and had one or more less kills than the person who came in second. This has happened to me before as well.

I wish that I could go back to BTB and enjoy a game or two on Ragnarok or Exile, but I only get the mediocre (at best) Crimson maps filled with nothing but airy lag fights and idlers and quitters. Halo 4, you let me down sometimes. At least you're not Reach.

Also, Is Lars Bakken still at Bungie? I don't know why but when I think of Bungie the names that come to mind are Lars Bakken, Jason Jones, Joesph Staten, Marty O'Donnell and (now ex-bungie) Marcus Lehto

Everyone's been talking about audio, cool.

Just making audio sound like it is coming from a direction in stereo is difficult, let alone trying to integrate it into it's environment with occlusion, compression, reverb, and all the other effects. And they have to do this stuff for every single sound in a movie other than diolouge for a ~2 hour production, in surround sound.

Well, anyway, I tried giving the warthog a radio. It's not very good. :-/
(Watch with Headphones) The clips are just high rated ones I found on Bungie Pro.

Anyone have experience with adding positional sound effects to video?

-----

Also, here is a video of a research project presented at siggraph in 2010 on physically simulating the propagation of audio for applications such as video games.

They show some examples with Half life 2. It's really slick, and I would love to see something like this in a Halo game.

A few recommendations:

Paul's Magic Audio Stretch Program (Paul Stretch)
-Simple post-processing program that slows sounds down but "blends" them and can help you get a feel for soundscapes.
Audacity
-Good for some basic effects like reversing audio.
Acoustica Mixcraft 6
-My personal DAW. Allows for use of simultaneous MIDI and audio tracks and recording/manipulation and gives you access to a pretty large library. Has a 2-week trial available. Also gives you access to a pretty substantial loop library which I mostly use for the drum loops.
-Pro Scores
Roughly ~4GB of fair use audio samples, mostly orchestral and based in film scores. Costs a pretty penny but can be good to mess around with to get a better feeling with audio post-processing.
Zebra2
-Vastly dynamic plugin with an unlimited synthesizer library allowing for the creation of synthesizer instruments as well as a large preset library. Has a large community who often share cheap-to-expensive additional plugins. Has an "unlimited" trial with the sole restriction of note progression being overrode from the actual notes to C - E - B - (R[andom]) - A after 10 minutes of use. Afterwards, you just need to reset your DAW and it works normally.

I hate regicide. I legitimately HATE it. I won more than three matches today with a final score of 305 and had one or more less kills than the person who came in second. This has happened to me before as well.
Regicide isn't FFA, you can't play it that way and expect to win. Go for the king, kill as the king, survive as king.

And Team Regicide is awesome.

Computron

A few recommendations:

Paul's Magic Audio Stretch Program (Paul Stretch)
-Simple post-processing program that slows sounds down but "blends" them and can help you get a feel for soundscapes.
Audacity
-Good for some basic effects like reversing audio.
Acoustica Mixcraft 6
-My personal DAW. Allows for use of simultaneous MIDI and audio tracks and recording/manipulation and gives you access to a pretty large library. Has a 2-week trial available. Also gives you access to a pretty substantial loop library which I mostly use for the drum loops.
-Pro Scores
Roughly ~4GB of fair use audio samples, mostly orchestral and based in film scores. Costs a pretty penny but can be good to mess around with to get a better feeling with audio post-processing.
Zebra2
-Vastly dynamic plugin with an unlimited synthesizer library allowing for the creation of synthesizer instruments as well as a large preset library. Has a large community who often share cheap-to-expensive additional plugins. Has an "unlimited" trial with the sole restriction of note progression being overrode from the actual notes to C - E - B - (R[andom]) - A after 10 minutes of use. Afterwards, you just need to reset your DAW and it works normally.

Thanks for the tips. I am a total noob when it comes to creating audio. Audition and Audacity are the few programs I've used, and I don't really know if their the best tools for the job.
Do you have any suggestions that would apply specifically to tasks like making that radio, well, work? Like, how would you go about doing it?

The way I did it was keyframeing curves for things like the song's volume and pan according to the distance, visibility and orientation of the warthog to the player/camera in the video.
Then I tried adding and keyframing a whole rack of various effects, filters and reverbs:

unNJ4Z0.png

Its pretty tedious, and the result isn't very realistic. I have looked into using 3d software and camera tracking to localize the audio and its volume in stereo, but it still seems like there should be a much easier way of doing it.

GrizzNKev

Banned
holy damn I thought I was one of the youngest ones here

Turning 20 the day Bioshock Infinite releases. Which is during GDC. Which is during spring break. So hype.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Playing a bunch of Halo CE. Halo as come a looooooooooong way. Spawn system is straight up spawn on your bro. I've never been spawned killed by rockets in a 2v2 this much in my life lol

Duji

Playing a bunch of Halo CE. Halo as come a looooooooooong way. Spawn system is straight up spawn on your bro. I've never been spawned killed by rockets in a 2v2 this much in my life lol

Predictability... oh how we miss you. Please come back.

Released

It's not straight up spawn on your bro. There are a couple ways to manipulate it through randoming or forcing through walls, ceilings, etc. If you're getting really bad spawns, your partner needs to step it up.

Tashi

Predictability... oh how we miss you. Please come back.

Ehh I probably just don't understand the system but it's just weird to be getting spawn killed on maps with so many potentially safe spawns in a 2v2.

It's not straight up spawn on your bro. There are a couple ways to manipulate it through randoming or forcing through walls, ceilings, etc. If you're getting really bad spawns, your partner needs to step it up.

Actually he's the really good one. I'm the one who's not that good at CE.

Released

Actually he's the really good one. I'm the one who's not that good at CE.

Yeah, I know minto is good. It's really difficult to coordinate spawning on XBC if you're not on the same screen or communicating through skype or something, even for good players.

If you want to learn more about CE's spawns, check out this thread. Pretty interesting stuff.

Fuchsdh

Cause I get to pay $234 a month in rent and the other housemates are cool.

Damn. Where do you live? Around here a 1BR apartment is $1000 and up, and living with three other people I'm still paying about $700 when utilities are included. Such is the price of living right near transit and the city.

I'm hoping Bioshock is good. I didn't really like the actual gameplay of the first two games, I was just a sucker for the interesting locations.

I would love for an unlockable pacifist mode in games like Halo where you can just wander around the levels and explore without getting shot at.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Damn. Where do you live? Around here a 1BR apartment is $1000 and up, and living with three other people I'm still paying about $700 when utilities are included. Such is the price of living right near transit and the city.

I'm hoping Bioshock is good. I didn't really like the actual gameplay of the first two games, I was just a sucker for the interesting locations.

I would love for an unlockable pacifist mode in games like Halo where you can just wander around the levels and explore without getting shot at.

I'll probably try to beat it in one sitting/marathon. I'm not a huge Bioshock fan but the first was really awesome and I'm hoping Infinite can capture my imagination again.

What 343 needs to do on the 720.

Since I really doubt they'll go back to the classic gameplay with MP in Halo 5 and the main installments going into the future, they need to take the Halo CE engine and make an all new MP only game on XBLA. Take the simple weapon sandbox from CE, and basically just copy it. Except, take the pistol and reskin it as a rifle. Give the other weapons updated designs, but keep the art style CE had. Add matchmaking, ranked and unranked. Put in 10 arena maps, 5 new ones, and remakes of The Pit, Lockout, Midship, Beaver Creek, and Citadel. Cap the player count at 8 so nothing bigger than 4 v 4. No game types other than Slayer, Team Slayer, CTF, Oddball, and Assault. Sell for $20 on XBLA, instant money and it would satisfy the hardcore fans.

I would take one game like this on the 720 I could play for years over more MP games like Halo 4, and I'm sure many here would as well.

Anyway, that is my cool idea of the day that will never actually happen despite how awesome it would be.

Fuchsdh

What 343 needs to do on the 720.

Since I really doubt they'll go back to the classic gameplay with MP in Halo 5 and the main installments going into the future, they need to take the Halo CE engine and make an all new MP only game on XBLA. Take the simple weapon sandbox from CE, and basically just copy it. Except, take the pistol and reskin it as a rifle. Give the other weapons updated designs, but keep the art style CE had. Add matchmaking, ranked and unranked. Put in 10 arena maps, 5 new ones, and remakes of The Pit, Lockout, Midship, Beaver Creek, and Citadel. Cap the player count at 8 so nothing bigger than 4 v 4. No game types other than Slayer, Team Slayer, CTF, Oddball, and Assault. Sell for $20 on XBLA, instant money and it would satisfy the hardcore fans.

I would take one game like this on the 720 I could play for years over more MP games like Halo 4, and I'm sure many here would as well.

Anyway, that is my cool idea of the day that will never actually happen despite how awesome it would be.

They're never going to do an XBLA Halo multi game in the forseeable future. And with good reason. Until they can solve the issue of XBLA games becoming dead zones within two or three months of their release... it's just a waste of coin.

(In other words, better to make an ODST-like $40 game that fits your description or whatever than an XBLA title.)

Released

Does XBC work well? No real lag issues? Are there a decent number of people on Halo 2/CE?

H2 xbc works pretty well. CE....takes some getting used to, lol. CE has the lower population. It's difficult to get games outside of peak hours (6-10pm est). H2 usually has several rooms up at any given time throughout the day, but it can be difficult to find games with Americans and good gametypes/maps.

Released

The guys you're playing against look pretty good too, Tashi. Why don't they let you host? Seems like that would create better games.

Ok, I downloaded it and installed it. I'm guessing I need to hook my laptop up to my router?

There are a few ways to set it up. Ideally, you'd have both your computer and your console connected to the router. If you're like me and can't do that for whatever reason, I'd connect your PC and console with a cable and just go wireless from your PC to the router.

The guys you're playing against look pretty good too, Tashi. Why don't they let you host? Seems like that would create better games.

There are a few ways to set it up. Ideally, you'd have both your computer and your console connected to the router. If you're like me and can't do that for whatever reason, I'd connect your PC and console with a cable and just go wireless from your PC to the router.

Do you have to have an original xbox or can you run xbox games through your 360?

Tashi

I'm not gonna take the time to learn the spawns that way. I'll just pick up on them. First few games I couldn't get more than 5 kills but I started to learn where to shoot and shit. It would probably take me a few days to learn more of the spawns and shit.

My teammate was using a timer, not me. I used to LAN Halo 3 with him back in the day. He's about as good as I am but I don't think he played much Reach and H4. So he just plays H1/H2 on XBC mostly.

Cow

Any ideas whether they will actually make the 1-50 visible in game lobby or not?

I'd love it if they implemented Halo 3's level system as well (like make the rank be one of the hurdles for the next level).

Rev3rb

Any ideas whether they will actually make the 1-50 visible in game lobby or not?

I'd love it if they implemented Halo 3's level system as well (like make the rank be one of the hurdles for the next level).

From what we currently know, it will only be viewable on waypoint.

Top Bottom