• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT17| We Flew Out Members To Make This OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
Looking at the Xbox One info from the dashboard and there is a reference to Smart Match, haven't heard that referenced anywhere else, but maybe just missed it.

Find the perfect match.
Introducing Smart Match, Xbox One's revolutionary multiplayer matchmaking system.
Completely reengineered for a new generation of gaming, Smart Match uses advanced algorithms to pair players based on skill, language, and now reputation.

Joystiq talked about this, i think.

As for "reputation". Is it one of those systems where i get matched with people with bad reputation just because people gave me bad rep for shit'n'giggles?
It won't work, not without human moderation.

Find the perfect match.
Introducing Smart Match, Xbox One's revolutionary multiplayer matchmaking system.
Completely reengineered for a new generation of gaming, Smart Match uses advanced algorithms to pair players based on skill, language, and now reputation.
The perfect match is my preferred gametypes on my preferred maps with my preferred settings.

Matchmaking is still a borked concept, and premium multiplayer DLC just makes things worse.

Defect

Looking at the Xbox One info from the dashboard and there is a reference to Smart Match, haven't heard that referenced anywhere else, but maybe just missed it.

Find the perfect match.
1982474-reach_searchrestrictions.jpg

Computer

Did they say anything about the Xbox being a DVR?
It is not. You can plug-in a DVR.
That is dumb it has a HDD all would need is recording software. I don't understand why they are pushing the TV market so hard when people are leaving cable for Hulu and Netflix. I also don't see how they benefit from this unless they can run there own adds over the cable providers.
I probably spent more money on battery packs that failed to hold a charge over these past 7+ years then it would have cost to buy a few new controllers.

This is Microsoft. They're going to milk the hell out of us for accessories.

Since these use AA, they'll provide them in box, and you'll have to shell out $49+ for the official battery pack or charger etc.

Sure you can just get some cheap rechargeable, but meh. I'd rather they have some time of new Lithium Ion battery pack that you can just put in, and it gives ten times better battery life and you just recharge with a cable to the console. Once the pack loses a charge after 2+ years, get a new one.

Anyone know what type of battery was in the 360 packs to begin with? I have a feeling they were just cheap AA rechargeable batteries?

They are rechargeable AA batteries in disguise.

Madness

I probably spent more money on battery packs that failed to hold a charge over these past 7+ years then it would have cost to buy a few new controllers.

This is Microsoft. They're going to milk the hell out of us for accessories.

Since these use AA, they'll provide them in box, and you'll have to shell out $49+ for the official battery pack or charger etc.

Sure you can just get some cheap rechargeable, but meh. I'd rather they have some type of new Lithium Ion battery pack that you can just put in, and it gives ten times better battery life and you just recharge with a cable to the console. Once the pack loses a charge after 2+ years, get a new one.

Anyone know what type of battery was in the 360 packs to begin with? I have a feeling they were just cheap AA rechargeable batteries?

Kibbles

Also having the ability to jump completely to other things is useful. In game recording is good.

Looking at the few positives the consoles has is nice. The controller looks good. 1000 friend limit.

When did they mention in-game recording? Like Sony's share? I was hoping for a twitchtv support to combat Sony's ustream support.

Booshka

When did they mention in-game recording? Like Sony's share? I was hoping for a twitchtv support to combat Sony's ustream support.

They didn't want to mention TwitchTV because it would confuse the message of delivering traditional Television programming through your new Xbox to the masses.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...evements-carry-over-from-xbox-360-to-xbox-one

Recorded video as a whole plays a much larger role on Xbox One, just as it does on PS4. "A dedicated Game DVR captures and accesses your magic moments, all saved to the cloud," apparently, and there are on-board editing and sharing tools.

Obscured

Joystiq talked about this, i think.

As for "reputation". Is it one of those systems where i get matched with people with bad reputation just because people gave me bad rep for shit'n'giggles?
It won't work, not without human moderation.

Agreed, if they don't have a way to handle people gaming the system it is going to get gamed hard and very quickly be rendered useless. It is interesting in that they seem to be suggesting system-wide as opposed to specific developer implementation. TrueSkill has some interesting math behind it, so I'm curious where they've gone with it.

DeadNames

Banned
Not gonna lie.. This whole TV approach to the Xbox one has got me pretty rattled.

I WANT A FUCKING GAME SYSTEM, NOT A TV YOU DENSE FUCKERS

Defect

Sir, destiny has definitely not had a 2 year cycle. It's development started in 2007

Bungie's contract with Activision says something about Destiny releasing every two years along with an expansion every year after a game release.

those buttons in that picture don't do anything, theyve got no code behind them

I know they don't really do anything. This new system probably won't even work well at all.

Madness

Here's some Microsoft answers to questions. The first quote is what they want to do with the used games scenario: how the fuck is it in any way customer centric, simple and understandable?

"Our goal is to make it really customer-centric, really simple and really understandable and we will announce those details in due course."

"We think that most of the biggest games on Xbox One and most of the games and experiences and services you want to use will be internet-connected."

"No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet."

They gave Sony shit for revealing something without revealing it, is Microsoft any better? They don't even know their own stuff yet. Now Eurogamer is saying Phil Harrison said it's not all set in stone yet, these things could/would change etc.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I still don't understand this Halo TV thing. It's like more and more they are trying to move the "storyline" away from the game.

Just give us the fucking game.

senador

Banned
Halo series has potential, but what does it have to do with a the new console and why did the news need to come today during the reveal? I'm so confused by it all.

Mix

Bungie's contract with Activision says something about Destiny releasing every two years along with an expansion every year after a game release.
I apologize, I do remember this, but the main thing is out of the way with it's first release which is defining the game/engine/story

Halo series has potential, but what does it have to do with a the new console and why did the news need to come today during the reveal? I'm so confused by it all.

The whole reveal is odd. Maybe the TV show will lead up to a Halo game, similar to FuD and Halo 4.

Madness

I still don't understand this Halo TV thing. It's like more and more they are trying to move the "storyline" away from the game.

Just give us the fucking game.

Silly Halo fan, don't you know, you're but a drop in a large bucket? Why only take your $59.99 when they can take $9 bucks for the new Sarah Palmer Chronicles novels/comics, they can get $39.99 from officially licensed Hasbro toys and Mega Bloks.

They can sell tons of shirts, dvd and blu-ray boxed sets of the television show. Create meme's, have kids forget all about Master Chief, Halsey, Keyes, Johnson, the Arbiter and instead focus on Team Switchback who will all be played by young hot Abercrombie models and actors. This way, they can finish the reclaimer trilogy, and have spinoff titles featuring people from the series and events in the years between. Eventually after this generation ends, people will forget about what old Halo was like.

It's like Star Wars. Ask any fan younger than 14 who Boba Fett is, you'll get a 'huh?' but ask them who Ahsoka Tano is, you'll hear them say she's Anakins padawan blah blah.

Most kids who drive sales of the Lego star wars games, clone wars games, toys, etc. They probably haven't even seen the original trilogy.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I dunno man, I'm seriously considering the PS4. The xbox one didn't really wow me. Still reserving judgments until E3.

Well, we didn't see shit. Yeah, I'd definitely wait for E3 before calling what you want. Hell, I'd wait till a month before launch. preorder both to ensure you get one, then cancel the one you don't want before launch.

Silly Halo fan, don't you know, you're but a drop in a large bucket? Why only take your $59.99 when they can take $9 bucks for the new Sarah Palmer Chronicles novels/comics, they can get $39.99 from officially licensed Hasbro toys and Mega Bloks.

They can sell tons of shirts, dvd and blu-ray boxed sets of the television show. Create meme's, have kids forget all about Master Chief, Halsey, Keyes, Johnson, the Arbiter and instead focus on Team Switchback who will all be played by young hot Abercrombie models and actors. This way, they can finish the reclaimer trilogy, and have spinoff titles featuring people from the series and events in the years between. Eventually after this generation ends, people will forget about what old Halo was like.

It's like Star Wars. Ask any fan younger than 14 who Boba Fett is, you'll get a 'huh?' but ask them who Ahsoka Tano is, you'll hear them say she's Anakins padawan blah blah.

Most kids who drive sales of the Lego star wars games, clone wars games, toys, etc. They probably haven't even seen the original trilogy.

Clearly.

willow ve

Here's some Microsoft answers to questions. The first quote is what they want to do with the used games scenario: how the fuck is it in any way customer centric, simple and understandable?

"Our goal is to make it really customer-centric, really simple and really understandable and we will announce those details in due course."

"We think that most of the biggest games on Xbox One and most of the games and experiences and services you want to use will be internet-connected."

"No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet."

They gave Sony shit for revealing something without revealing it, is Microsoft any better? They don't even know their own stuff yet. Now Eurogamer is saying Phil Harrison said it's not all set in stone yet, these things could/would change etc.
What in the actual fuck does any of that even mean? PR nightmare.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Spielberg to be attached to Halo TV in name only.

10 million dollar per episode budget, not enough resources for canon to fit into Halo 5.

Farmville for Xbox ONE. XBOX PLOW THE FIELDS.

XBOX PLANTY THAT CORN! MAKE MONEY MAKE MONEY MAKE MONEY.

SNAP WINDOW .... REDTUBE HOLLY MICHAELS.

ORDER ME A PIZZA and PINA COLADA, BUT I WANT BILLY JOEL TO DELIVER IT TO ME.

Xbox....Nude Tayne.

This is the PR script that would've moved units.

This reveal wasn't for me and if you are reading this, it probably wasn't for you either. The information that I need to make my buying decisions in the Fall will come at E3.

Right now I'm not interested in shelling out 300-500 bucks for either console.

Madness

Eh enough salt from me. I'm just disappointed. It's like, the hype was building for some type of Halo game reveal. The hype built for a new generation of gaming and we get mostly anti-consumer bullshit passed off as a good thing and all this crap about television and events.

They definitely need to pull some magic out of a hat for e3. Better see at least some gameplay from these 8 new first/second party IP's that are launching within the first year.

And I know there's some supporters here, but they hyped up gamers, brought the world's gaming press to their campus, asked us to get nostalgic about all our past gaming moments on 360 and OG Xbox and instead showed us this is an online required console, a console that limits used sales/game sharing with friends family, and asked us to get hyped about television and the creation of their new television studio.

And then they wonder why they do poorly worldwide compared to Sony etc. Is half this shit even going to work in Canada, Australia, Europe, South Korea etc.

I'm going to go play halo 4, get my mind of this poor reveal.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Eh enough salt from me. I'm just disappointed. It's like, the hype was building for some type of Halo game reveal. The hype built for a new generation of gaming and we get mostly anti-consumer bullshit passed off as a good thing and all this crap about television and events.

They definitely need to pull some magic out of a hat for e3. Better see at least some gameplay from these 8 new first/second party IP's that are launching within the first year.

And I know there's some supporters here, but they hyped up gamers, brought the world's gaming press to their campus, asked us to get nostalgic about all our past gaming moments on 360 and OG Xbox and instead showed us this is an online required console, a console that limits used sales/game sharing with friends family, and asked us to get hyped about television and the creation of their new television studio.

And then they wonder why they do poorly worldwide compared to Sony etc. Is half this shit even going to work in Canada, Australia, Europe, South Korea etc.

I'm going to go play halo 4, get my mind of this poor reveal.

This E3 is going to be madness. If there is an E3 to be at, it's this one.

edit:

Uh, pun not intended.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Why is it those defending this used games fiasco seem to keep pointing out that devs don't get money from used games.

They shouldn't need to. They made their money at the initial point of sale. They shouldn't get money for each sale of the game afterwards.

If they don't like the money they get from retailers or feel they're getting shafted, charge more or provide sales direct from your company.

What other company complains about what consumers are doing with their products after they are bought? 20th Century Fox doesn't care who or where I sell my old Star Wars laserdiscs to, Canon doesn't care where I sell my DSLR, Samsung doesn't care if I sell my phone, BMW doesn't care if I sell my car etc. But apparently games devs feel entitled to sales of games again and again. Blame Gamestop for the used games market. I don't buy used games, I don't trade any games. I still have every single game I've ever bought since the NES days in my house, but to hear I can never sell them is ridiculous without having to pay for another license etc.

Read this in Jim Sterling's voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom