• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT17| We Flew Out Members To Make This OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Implying that PS4 will have "highest end graphics"? Lol absurd, PS4 may have high-er end graphic capabilities, but it is not highest end by any means, and I don't think Xbox One is lagging behind in any immediately meaningful fashion.

Actually, just seeing the 3 OS's they mention tells me the PS4 has a great advantage for games. That Xbox is going to be doing a lot any using resources that the PS4 does not need. All that snap crap, Kinect stuff is going to be running in the background. The PS4 is just pure horse power dedicated to one thing.

Actually, just seeing the 3 OS's they mention tells me the PS4 has a great advantage for games. That Xbox is going to be doing a lot any using resources that the PS4 does not need. All that snap crap, Kinect stuff is going to be running in the background. The PS4 is just pure horse power dedicated to one thing.

Except that developers that want to utilize Azure can place processes for their game in the cloud, freeing up a ton of resources for the local console to handle.

Probably want see it fully utilized right away, but the Azure platform has massive potential for developers.

The "3 OS's" isn't really 3. One of the OS's is literally just something that seamlessly links the "Xbox" OS, which only handles games to the Windows kernel OS which handles all forms of apps and such. That may sound complex, but by separating them, it allows developers to not have to worry about anything else when developing their game resource wise because only their game will be running on the Xbox OS. Also, it's worth noting that sharing the new Windows and WP kernel, both of those OS's automatically manage apps in memory (suspending and reducing) as needed by the users actions. I would think it's safe to assume the same thing will happen with the Xbox, so the Windows OS shouldn't draw away large amounts of resources from games.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Except that developers that want to utilize Azure can place processes for their game in the cloud, freeing up a ton of resources for the local console to handle.

Probably want see it fully utilized right away, but the Azure platform has massive potential for developers.

The "3 OS's" isn't really 3. One of the OS's is literally just something that seamlessly links the "Xbox" OS, which only handles games to the Windows kernel OS which handles all forms of apps and such. That may sound complex, but by separating them, it allows developers to not have to worry about anything else when developing their game resource wise because only their game will be running on the Xbox OS. Also, it's worth noting that sharing the new Windows and WP kernel, both of those OS's automatically manage apps in memory (suspending and reducing) as needed by the users actions. I would think it's safe to assume the same thing will happen with the Xbox, so the Windows OS shouldn't draw away large amounts of resources from games.
This post and the one you quoted exemplifies exactly why they shouldn't have described the different panes as 3 "OSs." The entire conference was in dire need of more precise wording.

PS4 uses a similar set up, IIRC. It uses 2 panes and switches between them.

This post and the one you quoted exemplifies exactly why they shouldn't have described the different panes as 3 "OSs." The entire conference was in dire need of more precise wording.

PS4 uses a similar set up, IIRC. It uses 2 panes and switches between them.

Yeah it was a bit surprising. They didn't focus on tech/specs much today, but they launched into that explanation, and it was a bit of an odd way to explain it.

Out of curiosity, do you know if the PS4 switches between the 2 panels or OS's (as in one is temporarily closed) or if it integrates and runs them side by side like the Xbox does?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah it was a bit surprising. They didn't focus on tech/specs much today, but they launched into that explanation, and it was a bit of an odd way to explain it.

Out of curiosity, do you know if the PS4 switches between the 2 panels or OS's (as in one is temporarily closed) or if it integrates and runs them side by side like the Xbox does?
No idea, sorry. I don't think they specified in the VGLeaks article or in any official info they put out.

There was an Architecture Panel host by major nelson afterwards. Worth a watch.

Tonight's highlight:

BK2EHCKCYAALUwo.png:large

Madness

But I... this...

#Neveragain.

I liked the OT. Let's face it, not many people read after the first page, but it had all the relevant and up to date info if anyone needed it, especially if someone was looking to get into the game or find out what's been going on in the community.

TCKaos

image.php

Crazy that Light Rifle was still my tool of destruction, but only by like 5 kills.

Lighting CTF turning in to Auto Sentry Slayer is probably one of the best gametypes in Halo. You fight to get points to call in your Ordnance, which isn't always your Auto Sentry, giving you further incentive to keep fighting. Once the Sentry goes up everyone moves back from the base so that the enemies keep spawning, but stay close enough that they can defend the Sentry and whoever deployed it. It turns a sloppy CTF gametype in to a fast-paced game of VIP.

Booties

Banned
Oh yeah, here's the reason I didn't get around to making a new OT, besides the odd one being a manic freak shooting his load 3 pages early:

66x6L7t.jpg

daedalius

This is only for Elzar, I guess.

Narrative Designer and Writer for Bioshock Infinite.

I follow way too many industry people.

Hopefully cool, but considering how much everyone gushes about the storytelling in Infinite... better than 'Crimson, lighting up those targets!'

TheOddOne

I probably laughed harder than I should of at this lol
Halo's are circular. When will the chain be unbroken. God, Infinite is a social commentary on all games, man.

She changed her twitter bio: Lead Narrative @ 343 Industries. Previously a writer on BioShock Infinite

Madness

Probably brought her on to actually give some Spartan-IV's some personality or appeal. Maybe make sense of this confusing story. I'm perfectly fine with 343 hiring qualified professionals, especially those who worked on Bioshock:Infinite which has clever and creative characters.

I wish they'd hire Drew Karpyshyn. He retired from BioWare and the industry, but he was the lead writer for many games like KOTOR, Jade Empire and the first Mass Effect. He left halfway during Mass effect 2 to work on that old republic MMO and then retired. But damn, he'd make such a difference if he was hired.

heckfu

Banned
I don't mean to be sexist, but I don't know if I like Spielberg being in charge since he's a man.

this is joke, don't ban me

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, have I complained about the Xbox One in here, I can't remember.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I met Mr. Spielberg very briefly several years ago at E3. You have to know this about me, in my previous political career I worked with some incredibly powerful people, so I don't intimidate easily. However, he was the first person I ever encountered where I was actually afraid to make eye contact. I knew if for some bizarre reason he didn't like the way I looked, he could say the words and I would be looking for another job.

Fortunately he was very nice (I basically just said hello and he went on to his next meeting) and I am entirely too paranoid. :)

I'm sure Frank has better stories. Naturally, I am very excited that we announced the TV series, and looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks about the rest of the Xbox One goodies from the rest of Microsoft at E3. True story, I didn't actually know the final name of the system until it was announced publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom