• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about that, if it was a side game why would it have the Infinity? Seems like the main line game to me.

Yes, because it's not like the Infinity has been featured in anything that's not Halo 4.

People bitching about the lack of color are being a little ridiculous. It's a city at night, and most of those do not look like the Las Vegas strip.

How so?

What I mean is that it seems like a branching, open-world game would be ill-suited to speed runs.

Well I'm sure you're not stupid. You understand speedrunning is to do a game quickly without concern for appriciation of the game mechanics or story. Skyim has a main quest line which can be speed ran just as well as any other game. The brancing stuff is pretty limited to skill tree's and some sub missions and open world makes no difference people speed run GTA.

I can't see how it's any more ill-suited than GTA, RDR, Zelda etc

It was more than frustrating it was downright disgusting. Enemy reveals from toy's. Tiny glimpses of footage. Confusing and misdirection of infomation. 343 had never done that as a studio before (i find it hard to believe people in key related roles hadn't but still) so I can forgive them to an extent but we need a more steady and content filled stream of info this time.

I think you are missing the point of speedrunning.

Gameinformer has to be the highlight of the Halo 4 marketing campaign for me.

To be fair, I don't think any of us want another title where virtually 90% of the environments consist of purple and green with pearlescent golden-white, black, and brown making up the entirety of the landscapes.

What faction built that area, by the way? Sparthinites or any similar answers will get you slimed, You Can't Do That On Television-style.

Will you walk through those streets with your poncho on and order noodles like in Blade Runner?

Considering 343 Halo and Blade Runner aesthetics go hand in hand, it makes sense. Chief is a cyberpunk bandito now.

I would really like to see an urban halo game in a city then. Except...with inhabitants this time around (unlike ODST). I mean, we have new tech n all that, so that should be easier now.

Yep like Ryse or ACIV, there are NPC's everywhere doing all their own things.

Yes, because it's not like the Infinity has been featured in anything that's not Halo 4.

People bitching about the lack of color are being a little ridiculous. It's a city at night, and most of those do not look like the Las Vegas strip.

My gut feel is they wouldn't make a side game an tangle the ships/stories too much. It could be anything really but my instinct says main game. We've had SA as a side game and they'll likely be wanting a mainline Halo title to be the first Halo FPS on X1 as well.

Considering 343 Halo and Blade Runner aesthetics go hand in hand, it makes sense. Chief is a cyberpunk bandito now.

Makes me happy, Blade Runner is the shit.

Caayn

Nope, prophets and elites had their own tech before they discovered forerunner tech
I know. But not all of their tech was created by themselves. The elites for example used forerunner technology to help with the war against the prophets. And High Charity is even build around a forerunner ship.
Lot's of their more advanced technology came from the forerunners
There is a major city with humans and covenant on kilo five novel.
I doubt that that is that city. But who knows maybe Mortal Dictata can shed some light on it in two weeks. A covenant/human city in the game sure is interesting though.

Mistel

Banned
To be fair, I don't think any of us want another title where virtually 90% of the environments consist of purple and green with pearlescent golden-white, black, and brown making up the entirety of the landscapes.

A bit of variety couldn't hurt on the environment level, even some of the non vibrant stuff looks good e.g. New Alexandria.

Does cyberpunk chief come with a kazuma and daft punk collab soundtrack?

Chettlar

Banned
Yep like Ryse or ACIV, there are NPC's everywhere doing all their own things.

The thought of elites and jackles and humans and things walking around in a sort of star-wars style community sounds awesome.

Too bad this sort of setting seems mostly confined to open world games.

Blueblur1

The concept art is great but so was Halo 4's concept art. The visual design for the game still disappointed when compared to Bungie's work. Hopefully with Sparth at the helm we can get a Halo game that looks like Halo and not like a Halo knock-off. (Once again the art wasn't awful but it was pretty bland, lifeless and didn't bring anything new to the franchise besides looking like a failed attempt at emulating Bungie's style.)

Now the question remains: when are we getting a new sound director? I'd like a Halo game that sounds like Halo and not generic scifi.

nillapuddin

I got them from Indigo (Chapters) in Canada. The first three books of the series had a reprint treatment (2012)!

very nice, Im not seeing the box set online, not that I need it neceesarily
Since the reissue Ive been acquiring all the books in this new bigger size
(obviously not for reading, but for being pretty)

woTicgY.jpg

btw, Tor/343, fuck you for not keeping your font consistent

Nowise10

I mean* I have the world record speedrun for LASO Reclaimer in Halo 4.

When I did the speedrun, I thought not killing an enemy was "pacifist". Turns out you actually can't shoot your weapon at all. Pretty sure you can punch and throw grenades, so I could re-due it and just blow up the Liche using a plasma grenade or something. But I dont really feel like it.

Did we watch the same film?

I'm not just talking thematic similarities in the visual sense - Frankie pseudoconfirmed on here that the four-note, recurring synth bass riff in Nemesis was channeling the Blade Runner end credits theme, for example.

While I'm all for the species exploring a little more (Halo 3 team-ups were great), I am really, really worried they're going to make Halo a little too big for its britches. I really hate the idea of having a Mass Effect-style exploration team in a Halo game. I'd rather it stick to a Metroid Prime sort of experience that focuses on exploration through isolation, not bombastic, interspecies empowerment.

The Infinity is not Master Chief. Considering SA, the comics, and the books, I don't think they are particularly afraid of using the Infinity in a non-mainline anything, and this project might be set might be before or between stuff we've already seen happen. It could even take place during the next "mainline" game, which might be focused on the Chief after leaving Infinity.

It could even be the other way around where the Infinity becomes a mainline point of Halo 5 and Palmer n' Frenz are the stars, and Chief gets reduced to a spinoff after he leaves.

My gut feel is they wouldn't make a side game an tangle the ships/stories too much. It could be anything really but my instinct says main game. We've had SA as a side game and they'll likely be wanting a mainline Halo title to be the first Halo FPS on X1 as well.

The Infinity is not Master Chief. Considering SA, the comics, and the books, I don't think they are particularly afraid of using the Infinity in a non-mainline anything, and this project might be set might be before or between stuff we've already seen happen. It could even take place during the next "mainline" game, which might be focused on the Chief after leaving Infinity.

It could even be the other way around where the Infinity becomes a mainline point of Halo 5 and Palmer n' Frenz are the stars, and Chief gets reduced to a spinoff after he leaves.

You shut your fucking face

But seriously, I don't think there's a chance Chief won't be the focus, they obviously left him a lot to do after 4. I think Palmer and crew exist largely to give 343 characters to play around with outside Chief's epic quest.

Caayn

very nice, Im not seeing the box set online, not that I need it neceesarily
Since the reissue Ive been acquiring all the books in this new bigger size
(obviously not for reading, but for being pretty)

btw, Tor/343, fuck you for not keeping your font consistent
Wait all the books come in the same size as the Forerunner/Kilo-Five books? I knew that Contact Harvest did, but all of them.

Madness

Have to wonder about why Staten would leave his position at Bungie to go to Microsoft Studios. Didn't someone say he might be involved with the television series?

Great looking concept art though.

DeadNames

Banned
The infinity can fuck right off. I hated how quickly MC got in contact with the UNSC in Halo 4. I wanted to explore the planet alone and isolated.

Also you all can see my beautiful face.

I suppose it could be a spin off game that continues SPOPS/Infinity but I feel that just points to the main line game anyhow.

You're right in saying it could be anything, I just don't think it is. Agree to disagree.

nillapuddin

Wait all the books come in the same size as the Forerunner/Kilo-Five books? I knew that Contact Harvest did, but all of them.

Yes sir, as you see, the only thing that isnt the same size is the fonttttt

Ive got Mortal Dictata and Silentium coming in the mail in a few weeks, much excite

When they started to reissue them I just decided that Halo novels will be my number 1 nerd collection area, so I just read em on my phone and buy the books for display

Chettlar

Banned
Can Palmer just kind of die? Like, I mean literally have her do something heroic or whatever -- die for her fellow man. Nobody will care since she's a douche anyway, but 343 can have the satisfaction that her character served a purpose.

Then we can maybe get on to more likable characters.

Am I the only one who felt like Palmer just didn't "fit" with the general style of Halo characters? Not sure how to explain it, but between Chief, Cortana, Johnson, Halsey, Guilty Spar, Arbiter, there started to be a certain feel about them. Palmer just doesn't seem to fit that feel at all. Idk. This is coming from somebody who has only played the games and read half of one of the books back a few years ago.

DeadNames

Banned
A lot of the characters in Halo 4 didn't really "fit". The Spartans in SPOPS were totally goofy and played NFL on their Xboxes while picking up chicks. The only characters that made sense (IMO) were Del Rio (who I honestly wish had a more fleshed out character) and Laskey.

Mistel

Banned
I mean* I have the world record speedrun for LASO Reclaimer in Halo 4.
Congratulations on that by the way on that, speed running shortcuts made my legendary reclaimer mission, bearable it was a dull mission.

Frankie pseudoconfirmed on here that the four-note, recurring synth bass riff in Nemesis was channeling the Blade Runner end credits theme, for example.
I can kinda understand it it seems similar to me a teeny bit.

Have to wonder about why Staten would leave his position at Bungie to go to Microsoft Studios. Didn't someone say he might be involved with the television series?

Great looking concept art though.
“As a senior creative director, Joseph will help create the world’s best entertainment on Xbox, as well as help shape our franchise strategy for some Microsoft Studios titles. He’ll also be one of our leading ambassadors to the game development community, building on his many years of experience and relationships with developers and fans. We’re excited to share more about Joseph’s role in the future.”

Whelp, we've been made

Chettlar

Banned
A lot of the characters in Halo 4 didn't really "fit". The Spartans in SPOPS were totally goofy and played NFL on their Xboxes while picking up chicks. The only characters that made sense (IMO) were Del Rio (who I honestly wish had a more fleshed out character) and Laskey.

Laskey definitely fit, imo. Decently done character, definitely.

That post a few pages back linking to that "Baby Sitter" episode of the Halo show definitely summed up my feelings about the spartan IVs.

Part of Halo's own special brand of epicness -- part of what makes it so different from other shooters and makes me attracted to it -- is in it's characters. There's a certain bit of respect that all characters gave to Chief and the other spartans, and in return, the spartans were badass and deserving of respect. In Halo 4 and SpOps, the spartan IVs were about as undeserving of respect as you can get.

Am I the only one who find it ironic that stinkles, in that interview thing a few pages back, said one thing he'd like to change about Chief is how people view him, namely, how important his rank is?

And yet stinkles is directly involved in producing a game which basically portrays chief as some inconsequential little dude that, for the first time in the halo series, there is nobody to say "Holy s*** a spartan!" about him?

Vico

Lasky is good people.

I'm honestly not a huge fan of Lasky. Being on the good guy's side isn't an excuse for being a one-dimensional character. I hold him in the same standing as Del Rio.

Mistel

Banned
I'm honestly not a huge fan of Lasky. Being on the good guy's side isn't an excuse for being a one-dimensional character. I hold him in the same standing as Del Rio.
Most of the introduced characters lack depth and any sort of connection with the player,as they seem forced and stereotypical or just poorly written.

As for that nemesis thing posting the song would help silly me:
end credits

Blueblur1

Never gave the Spartan IVs much thought but you're absolutely right. I liked Laskey a lot myself. I wouldn't mind seeing his character expanded upon as long as the character development happens within the game and I don't have to watch some terrible web series.

Ora

Banned
Can Palmer just kind of die? Like, I mean literally have her do something heroic or whatever -- die for her fellow man. Nobody will care since she's a douche anyway, but 343 can have the satisfaction that her character served a purpose.

Am I the only one who felt like Palmer just didn't "fit" with the general style of Halo characters? Not sure how to explain it, but between Chief, Cortana, Johnson, Halsey, Guilty Spar, Arbiter, there started to be a certain feel about them. Palmer just doesn't seem to fit that feel at all. Idk. This is coming from somebody who has only played the games and read half of one of the books back a few years ago.

Palmer just needs good writing. With Jennifer Hale as her voice actor (femshep, Rosalind Lutece) they've got a solid foundation to work with. I want to see her improved like she can be, not cut out.

You are not the only one.

Spartan II and III = soldiers.

Spartan IV = dudebros.

Fuchsdh

Never gave the Spartan IVs much thought but you're absolutely right. I liked Laskey a lot myself. I wouldn't mind seeing his character expanded upon as long as the character development happens within the game and I don't have to watch some terrible web series.

It wasn't terrible.

Although from the perspective of the character, I kind of felt like it was a cop-out that we never addressed the crux of Lasky's dilemma about getting involved in a war he didn't believe in. Hopefully that thread returns since the Insurrectionists are coming back.

It wasn't terrible.

Although from the perspective of the character, I kind of felt like it was a cop-out that we never addressed the crux of Lasky's dilemma about getting involved in a war he didn't believe in. Hopefully that thread returns since the Insurrectionists are coming back.

Lasky will take Chief's side and help him and the Arbiter find a weapons cache as a cutscene subplot and nothing more.

Palmer just needs good writing. With Jennifer Hale as her voice actor (femshep, Rosalind Lutece) they've got a solid foundation to work with. I want to see her improved like she can be, not cut out.

I dunno but palmer have the same personality in the comics so I doubt a drastic change until the writters let Lasky die.

Chettlar

Banned

Good writing might fix her being lame, but it won't fix her being a douche.

Unless they did something cool and made something happen to her to make her wizen up a little. Maybe have something emotionally devastating happen to her so she can "grow up" a little bit or something. Not using the right words exactly, but you get what I mean.

Lasky will take Chief's side and help him and the Arbiter find a weapons cache as a cutscene subplot and nothing more.

Can the arbiter please look like this?

Sean_mcnally_arbiter_cape.jpg

I mean, to be honest it's not quite the right kind of art style. I'm mainly looking at the hulking "I am the arbiter" (as opposed to standard elites who are significantly less awesomely adorned) and foreign, ancient look of the armor, which I thought was kind of the point of the arbiter in the first place, it being an ancient, honorable, distinct rank (again, I have not read anything on Halo save a whole bunch of wikis). The Halo 3 arbiter, I thought, could have looked maybe a bit more epic.

I'll take anything at this point, though.

DeadNames

Banned
It wasn't terrible.

Source on the spoilers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom