• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ora

Banned

image.php

His ideas could take halo to new heights.

Woorloog

Banned
Didn't every Arbiter die in battle or something? Maybe the previous Arbiter's armour wasn't recovered, like his after the HW shield world got blown up.

Yup. Probably crafted a new armor for every one. Not to mention size differences, Ripa Moramee was huge even for an Elite.

Actually...

image.php
+
image.php

=

image.php

Wait a second. How did Ripa fit into that armor in the first place? I can't imagine all the Arbiters before him were that huge.

Oh jeez

Yeah, I don't think there's one set of armor, it doesn't make sense since you can expect arbiters to go out... messy. I always thought the Arbiter armor designs in H2-3 was a major downgrade from the standard elite armor, like it was too rounded to seem very threatening.

Oh jeez

Yeah, I don't think there's one set of armor, it doesn't make sense since you can expect arbiters to go out... messy. I always thought the Arbiter armor designs in H2-3 was a major downgrade from the standard elite armor, like it was too rounded to seem very threatening.

Look at it this way: in most cases, Covenant blood (save for the more alien races like Drones) is made up of cool colors - blues, purples. Even the Brutes have blood tinged purplish-red (cwimson) because of their huge protein intakes. Now take a look at all their vehicles, all their weapons, all their tech. Covenant equipment uses their color of fear, even if it all seems exotic and outlandish to us. By contrast, the Arbiter armor is mostly a faded, ashen silver - with a pearlescent, almost golden finish to it. Arbiters are fallen heroes that attempt to earn their redemption through death - the golden finish implies zealotry. Forerunner tech and architecture, by contrast, is predominantly steely gray. While the religious aspect blinded most of the Covenant pre-Halo 3 to the true nature of the rings, the Prophets that started up the Arbiter position likely knew its true intent - and the Arbiter armor was made gray, as it is a position of guaranteed death just as the struggle the Forerunners faced was ages ago.

Going even further down the rabbit hole, the fact that the golden hues of the Arbiter armor dominate over the silvers in proper lighting illustrate how the Arbiter position was one of religious fanaticism, and its immediate precedence over the wearer's inevitable demise.

The fact that all of the angles are rounded may also serve as some sort of punishment in Elite culture in that they're not allowed to seem as intimidating as they would in traditional battle dress.

PXp1qrF.jpg

Somebody posted this in another thread.

So that Tom, is that actually Tom B292? The Spartan-III Tom that was pretty much a badass?

And is that supposed to be Hood there in the middle? Obviously the next one is Palmer. That isn't Lucy behind her, is it? And that isn't Fred in the background, too right?

Fuck. These comics seem to have lots of important characters popping in and out but I don't want to support that horrible art selection. Shit's gotta be improved for the next round of comics, 343.

So that Tom, is that actually Tom B292? The Spartan-III Tom that was pretty much a badass?

And is that supposed to be Hood there in the middle? Obviously the next one is Palmer. That isn't Lucy behind her, is it? And that isn't Fred in the background, too right?

It does look like it's Hood, but it's not Thom. Thom allegedly died before the events of Reach.

She's referring to Thomas Lasky.

aj1467

It does look like it's Hood, but it's not Thom. Thom allegedly died before the events of Reach.

Tom-B292 and Thom-293 are separate :p

The human characters are (L-R) [edit] unnamed female spartan, Palmer, DeMarco from SpOps (i think. He is mentioned to be there and the Solider armour is what he uses), Lord Hood and Lasky.

EDIT: The lady spartan next to Palmer is actually part of Fireteam Jackknife. Skimmed through the rest of the comic. She is the derp spartan from the first issue http://www.halopedia.org/File:Wargames.png

Blueblur1

PXp1qrF.jpg

Fuck. These comics seem to have lots of important characters popping in and out but I don't want to support that horrible art selection. Shit's gotta be improved for the next round of comics, 343.

The Sonic comic books have better art than this. :lol

It's Lasky, from Halo 4:

Tom-B292 and Thom-293 are separate :p
The human characters are (L-R) cant remember her name but not Lucy, Palmer, DeMarco from SpOps (i think), Lord Hood and Lasky.

Ah, good looking out for me everyone. I just remember Jun showing up in one issue early on and right now I thought that was Tom from Onyx Tom (Anybody have any idea what this is referencing? Hint: Change Tom to John and Onyx to Reach) , so I was thinking about how much they are connecting the non-game stuff now. I was going to get excited for a minute or two.

aj1467

Ah, good looking out for me everyone. I just remember Jun showing up in one issue early on and right now I thought that was Tom from Onyx Tom (Anybody have any idea what this is referencing? Hint: Change Tom to John and Onyx to Reach) , so I was thinking about how much they are connecting the non-game stuff now. I was going to get excited for a minute or two.

I edited my post with who I think the female spartan actually is. I got confused for a minute.

Man, that's unfortunate. Both T(h)oms one after the other? :lol

Maybe Thom was Alpha company unlike Tom (Beta)??

Mix

PXp1qrF.jpg

I know, I would pick these up if I had the money but the fucking art is cringe inducing.

I want Lasky to be a cool guy so badly, I hope that he is implemented in a much better way than he was in Halo 4, he seemed like too much of a minor character for 343 to give him a goddamn webseries, you know? Then again, Halo 4 was just way too damn short. It could've been a better game had it been Halo 2 length. More time to flesh out the story and embellish it with details.

aj1467

Never bothered to read Halo comics. Anything particularly important happen in them?

Well at the end of Escalation #2
A spartan IV called Scruggs kills his squad (Fireteam Jackknife. RIP derp spartan) and is waiting to ambush Palmer, Lord Hood, the Arbiter and the Brute Chieftain in the next issue.

Never bothered to read Halo comics. Anything particularly important happen in them?

The Halo Graphic Novel details how exactly Johnson got out of the Flood-controlled facility. It's a pretty badass little comic. It doesn't have any dialogue and has some fantastic art. It also features some other short stories featuring Half-Jaw, a retired Spartan who is now a mom(lol wut), and some stupid reporter in New Mombasa. As you can see, not exactly important.

Uprising was supposed to show exactly how Chief went from the ending of Halo 2 to the beginning of Halo 3, but it was just some crappy love story involving some random woman, a background character from the books(Colonel Ackerson) and his brother. With a few frames here and there about Chief. Pretty disappointing.

Lots of the Halo comics are just "Take side character A and detail their past. Show side character B for dramatic effect". Helljumper was that way. The goal of it was to take two characters from ODST and show how they met/interacted the first time on a team. It accomplished the goal but it just felt like it was unnecessary.

Blood Line was created for the express purpose of showing badass Spartans doing badass things. It succeeds wholeheartedly. The story is good but not exactly essential but the art is great and it has some cool moments.

The Fall of Reach comics are just adaptations of the Fall of Reach book so one could argue they're important but not overly so.

Haven't read Initiation/Escalation at all so I don't know about them.

A spartan IV called Scruggs kills his squad (Fireteam Jackknife. RIP derp spartan) and is waiting to ambush Palmer, Lord Hood, the Arbiter and the Brute Chieftain in the next issue.

Are you telling me
a guy named Scruggs is going to single-handedly kill Palmer, Lord Hood, Arby and a Brute Chieftan? Say it ain't so!

Omni

The Halo Graphic Novel details how exactly Johnson got out of the Flood-controlled facility. It's a pretty badass little comic. It doesn't have any dialogue and has some fantastic art. It also features some other short stories featuring Half-Jaw, a retired Spartan who is now a mom(lol wut), and some stupid reporter in New Mombasa. As you can see, not exactly important.

Uprising was supposed to show exactly how Chief went from the ending of Halo 2 to the beginning of Halo 3, but it was just some crappy love story involving some random woman, a background character from the books(Colonel Ackerson) and his brother. With a few frames here and there about Chief. Pretty disappointing.

Lots of the Halo comics are just "Take side character A and detail their past. Show side character B for dramatic effect". Helljumper was that way. The goal of it was to take two characters from ODST and show how they met/interacted the first time on a team. It accomplished the goal but it just felt like it was unnecessary.

Blood Line was created for the express purpose of showing badass Spartans doing badass things. It succeeds wholeheartedly. The story is good but not exactly essential but the art is great and it has some cool moments.

The Fall of Reach comics are just adaptations of the Fall of Reach book so one could argue they're important but not overly so.

Haven't read Initiation/Escalation at all so I don't know about them.
Ahh okay, thanks. Probably won't waste my time wih those and stick to the novels.

That's ridiculous. SIVs are such a joke.
though if Scruggs kills Palmer I'll get his name tattooed in my chest

Ahh okay, thanks. Probably won't waste my time wih those and stick to the novels.

Blood Line is a fun little romp. I recommend that one at least. The Halo Graphic Novel has four short stories. Two have really good art. Two have really good stories. And it has a bunch of random Halo art in the back that is pretty fun to look at. If I were to recommend any two Halo comics, I would recommend those.

And I can safely say that probably would not change even after I eventually read Escalation/Initiation.
That's ridiculous. SIVs are such a joke.
though if Scruggs kills Palmer I'll get his name tattooed in my chest

Now I'm imagining you(r avatar?) with
Scruggs
tattooed on your stomach like you're Tupac/Thug Life

IHaveIce

Banned
I support this guy.

So what was the Halo 5 thingy? The concept art? Because all concept art of Halo 4 looked better than any ingame stuff sooo nothing new, concept art looks good who knew

Blood Line is a fun little romp. I recommend that one at least. The Halo Graphic Novel has four short stories. Two have really good art. Two have really good stories. And it has a bunch of random Halo art in the back that is pretty fun to look at. If I were to recommend any two Halo comics, I would recommend those.

And I can safely say that probably would not change even after I eventually read Escalation/Initiation.

Now I'm imagining you(r avatar?) with
Scruggs
tattooed on your stomach like you're Tupac/Thug Life

I didn't choose the scrugg life

the scrugg life chose me

Madness

Anyone know if they sell 1 month Xbox live cards still? Would like to use it for sleeping dogs and tomb raider and maybe get in on customs. Don't feel like buying a whole year since I don't really have a next gen console and and don't really play much.

Apparently trials and codes don't work for the games on gold. I only remember ever seeing 3 month cards or 12 month lately.

lmfao I'm sorry what.. Are you saying
Spartan IV's now even betray other Spartans..?

Is this Halo or am I in a dream
ring
world?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
We're 1/3rd of the way through January now and still have no release date for Spartan Assault on 360. :/
We live in the best of times for gaming with so much to choose from and play. Don't be so bummed out over missing out on one game.

The Flash

Banned
I'd like to see these kinds of Grunts back in H5.

qrYFonP.png

Also Brutes. I've always liked Brutes. Maybe even introduce a new race that the Covenant has become "buddies" with in the intervening years.

I'd like to see these kinds of Grunts back in H5.

qrYFonP.png

Also Brutes. I've always liked Brutes. Maybe even introduce a new race that the Covenant has become "buddies" with in the intervening years.

I hope they bring back grunts with just one easily identifiable headshot. Give me more enemies and more targets to headshot over bullet sponges or grunts that take two headshots etc.

Mistel

Banned
lmfao I'm sorry what.. Are you saying
Spartan IV's now even betray other Spartans..?

Is this Halo or am I in a dream
ring
world?

Yep he joined the covenant remnant which makes total sense. (none at all really)
I've got the image if anyone wants to see it of the betrayal scene aftermath.

jelly

http://www.geekwire.com/2014/joseph-staten-returns-microsoft/

We’re thrilled to welcome Joseph back to the Microsoft Studios family. Over the past 15 years at Bungie, Joseph has been a key creative force behind some of gaming’s most iconic and celebrated franchises, including “Myth II,” “ONI” and virtually every “Halo” game leading up to “Halo: Reach.” Most recently, he spent the last four years working as a writer and creative director on the highly anticipated “Destiny.” As a senior creative director, Joseph will help create the world’s best entertainment on Xbox.

As a senior creative director, Joseph will help create the world’s best entertainment on Xbox, as well as help shape our franchise strategy for some Microsoft Studios titles. He’ll also be one of our leading ambassadors to the game development community, building on his many years of experience and relationships with developers and fans. We’re excited to share more about Joseph’s role in the future.

Been posted. Anyway, cool news. Hopefully his thoughts don't fall on deaf ears.

Can only be good news for Halo to get Staten back.

Concept art, as always, looks great. Looking forward to seeing some rendered environments and start forming an opinion of Halo 5: The Poncho Files

Woorloog

Banned
Can only be good news for Halo to get Staten back.

Concept art, as always, looks great. Looking forward to seeing some rendered environments and start forming an opinion of Halo 5: The Poncho Files

Read the news more closely. Staten works for MS, not 343 specifically. Sure, he might have some involvement with Halo, but might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom