• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use the pic as an avatar, then you can at least pretend to have "special member" tag.

Though arguably that would be pretty lame...
ibtxEZOgw1UwUC.png

Seems legit:
iKEKyzhO2oTD7.png

Ken

I don't understand how weapon drops work. It's probably because we've had to piece together stuff Frankie and Ellis have said, resulting in a mish-mash of information, but I'm sitting here past E3, after having seen gameplay videos, and I don't understand how the system works. Do they or do they not have random timers? How is it predictable?

Perhaps a bulletin going into great detail about how everything fits together would clear things up for me.

I've only watched one of the MLG videos but I recall them saying that medals give you points, and when you hit a certain number of points you get an ordnance drop.

Also, lol at special member fake tag.

BigShow36

WTF have they done to the sniper rifle? One of the most iconic weapons of the series gets remade into that piece of shit?

Looks terrible? Check
Sounds like a nail gun? Check
Remove iconic gas trail? Check
Add random reticle jumps? Check

Damn that's terrible.

Ken

WTF have they done to the sniper rifle? One of the most iconic weapons of the series gets remade into that piece of shit?

Looks terrible? Check
Sounds like a nail gun? Check
Remove iconic gas trail? Check
Add random reticle jumps? Check

Damn that's terrible.

It still shoots bullets so it seems fine to me.

I've only watched one of the MLG videos but I recall them saying that medals give you points, and when you hit a certain number of points you get an ordnance drop.

Also, lol at special member fake tag.

You're getting confused. All gametypes use "Ordnance", only the Infinity Slayer gametype uses "Personal ordnance".

- Personal ordnance is determined by points/5 kills. You use the D-Pad to drop it wherever you are.

- Regular ordnance is spawned in by the Infinity. Take Regular Countdown as an example here.
Initial spawns: Sword on bridge, Shotgun in vents, Conc rifle on balcony
Every 'X' seconds. Where X is determined by some gameplay element: Either a sword, shotgun or conc rifle will be spawned on either bridge, vents, or balcony.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Fixes to the sniper:

1. Make it black, none of this brown grey bullshit

2. Make the scope smaller

3. Bring back the old sounds from Reach...
NO WAY! The color scheme is the best part about it.

Bring back anniversary sniper sound.

Sounded like that thing could destroy planets
Despite what Frankie said about the sound weirdness in the videos, I REALLY don't like how any of the weapons sound so far. Hopefully 343 can slap some of the uncompressed audio in a sparkcast or something and change my mind, but compared to the Anniversary Sniper, the one in H4 sounds like a complete joke.

Louis Wu

Despite what Frankie said about the sound weirdness in the videos, I REALLY don't like how any of the weapons sound so far. Hopefully 343 can slap some of the uncompressed audio in a sparkcast or something and change my mind, but compared to the Anniversary Sniper, the one in H4 sounds like a complete joke.
The H4 sounds are actually quite good. I'm surprised by how unrepresentative the videos have been.

FyreWulff

The H4 sounds are actually quite good. I'm surprised by how unrepresentative the videos have been.

I've enjoyed them myself. Although I have noticed 343's foley is more cold and treble-y. Versus Bungie's warm / bassy sound design. But that's more of the studio's style than anything positive or negative (their sound design was the same for their changes to Anniversary's foley)

Good to hear, thank you. :)

I've enjoyed them myself. Although I have noticed 343's foley is more cold and treble-y. Versus Bungie's warm / bassy sound design. But that's more of the studio's style than anything positive or negative (their sound design was the same for their changes to Anniversary's foley)
This is my problem with what I've heard so far. It may just be how the audio is skewed in the video, but that's exactly the feel I get from the sounds as presented. Can't wait to hear how they really sound.

BTW - is anyone from 343 going to be at the RTX thingy?

Ken

You're getting confused. All gametypes use "Ordnance", only the Infinity Slayer gametype uses "Personal ordnance".

- Personal ordnance is determined by points/5 kills. You use the D-Pad to drop it wherever you are.

- Regular ordnance is spawned in by the Infinity. Take Regular Countdown as an example here.
Initial spawns: Sword on bridge, Shotgun in vents, Conc rifle on balcony
Every 'X' seconds. Where X is determined by some gameplay element: Either a sword, shotgun or conc rifle will be spawned on either bridge, vents, or balcony.

Ok then. I haven't paid much attention to much H4 footage or info.

Yep, that sniper is ugly.

ivgX4LtsAq6S.gif

iNBDmVmwO6QyW.gif

More here.

That assassination looks amazing, but man I feel the visual effect of the rockets is underwhelming all over. It needs a bigger kick and a bigger visual explosion.

Tech analysis of Halo 4 at E3 via Eurogamer/Digital Foundry

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-analysis-halo-4-at-e3

Cool, that was an interesting read.

So this is an interesting thread at HBO:

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1143538

Hoovaloov noticed that if you play the Halo 4 video in the main banner ad on ESPN.com (make sure your adblocker is off ;) ), it takes over the screen, and displays some interesting stuff.

I pulled out the actual takeover file:

http://adsatt.espn.go.com/ad/sponsors/utilities/espn/halo4_microsoft/content_takeover14.swf

The text shown in various places is... odd.

These strings are in the SWF itself:

s et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur
So8ii aspoke qpdkv disofasddddddd
Cras mattis imperdiet est, quis pharetra sdr3
Curae; In tempor pulvinar felis in ves
Maecenas tincidunt vehicula est, vitae condim
imperdiet felis sit amet mauris dignissim
oque penatibus et magnis dis parturient r35
Curabitur sagittis quam vel nisl cas37 jj6-fdd
scelerisque faucibus. In auctor leo eu sapien
Ut sollicitudin neque
faucibus neque accumsan. Ut convallis sagittis
Proin suscipit malesuada elementum.
a justo. Vestibulum dapibus aliqu

These strings are displayed by one of the parts, reversed; I simply captured them and flipped the video to read them:

!diag proc 10
probe terminal proc 10
rogue proc 10
proc 7 8 9
linvntry terminal
thanksshk terminal
d!D@cT
!attach act drop
38XUI¶¶ aos . 299 .
clean !splotch control
!bite rogue pro 1 recurse
§200 sdkue
94. ssdd a s--------

Smarter people than me will need to figure out what it's all about. :)

What the hell is this? Latin and gibberish in a random ad that also seems to mention the Didact...hm..

Fixes to the sniper:

1. Make it black, none of this brown grey bullshit

2. Make the scope smaller

3. Bring back the old sounds from Reach...

Yeah, I think making the scope a pinch smaller in comparison would really help the design.

You guys remember this update, right? http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?cid=24623

343, do one of these. With a crazy weapon we haven't heard yet.

I miss these style of updates that basically compared the old to the new, I was hoping we could get something like this for Halo 4.

We did drop in on David Candland, Bungie’s Lead UI designer earlier in the week to ask if HUD customization is something he’s ever considered implementing and the answer is yes. The problem with the multi-colored approach, it turns out, is that it can often blend into the color palette on display in a given environment, rendering it effectively unreadable. Since those color palettes can change dramatically from space to space (and even from room to room), it’s more problematic than just hooking up the technology and hoping for the best.

Shame, i very much like the pale yellow HUD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom