• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Alright I posted this the other day, but now it has become a real concern of mine. I know we get to play SpOPs season 1 for free. But does that mean we can actually play through the past missions, and watch all the past episodes forever? Do we perminately own them and always have access to them? Because the the talk of a TV show gave me a bad image that while we can play through season 1 for free, a purchase of season 1 would be required to gain access to replayabilty.

343 has said you can play the missions as much as you want, online or in single player. The television parallel is drawn around its prolonged, episodic delivery.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Alright I posted this the other day, but now it has become a real concern of mine. I know we get to play SpOPs season 1 for free. But does that mean we can actually play through the past missions, and watch all the past episodes forever? Do we perminately own them and always have access to them? Because the the talk of a TV show gave me a bad image that while we can play through season 1 for free, a purchase of season 1 would be required to gain access to replayabilty.

They have said over and over season 1 comes with the game. There's no reason to believe trickery will be involved. Also if you look at the menu there is voting for which episode people want to play.

Spops has per-mission matchmaking.
After many weeks worth of missions have come out, presumably the earliest missions would have low player-counts in matchmaking: could this be used to "cheese" certain achievements and/or the rewards/economy in the game? I'm asking for a friend.

Also: will you select a mission and THEN select the difficulty?

Also also: In SpOps, if there is one screen to select a mission and then another to select difficulty would that be similar to War Games's matchmaking system (select a map, then select a game type to play on that map)?

Why do people want dmr down to 2x zoom again? People are having trouble with it close range, which is good; it should be stronger at a longer range than the br and weaker at a closer range.

Extra magnification makes it easier to pin players down/kill them over long distances. This tends to slow down or eliminate movement on BTB maps in Reach.

Omni

So I'm listening to the Sparkast (finally got some free time) and they're talking about MC's armour and how they decided to use the design they did in FuD because of canon reasons... What the hell is the Halo Wars MK IV then? Are we just ignoring that now? I don't understand why they chose a design from a cartoon...

I'm starting to question your mental faculties. What I know about you so far:

You spend a ton of time in custom games with Overdoziz
You do not know the difference between Countdown and Zealot
Your favorite GAF-fer is Juices
You have no GAF troll meter

(shakes head and walks away)

I am disappoint son

You just jelly he likes me more than you.

They've already said you can watch/play them whenever you want. I imagine weighting will be given to the latest set of episodes in matchmaking though.

I doubt that we will not "own" the concent. If it's downloaded, we can replay it as much as possible.

343 has said you can play the missions as much as you want, online or in single player. The episodic parallel is drawn around its prolonged, episodic delivery.

They have said over and over season 1 comes with the game. There's no reason to believe trickery will be involved. Also if you look at the menu there is voting for which episode people want to play.

Guess that settles it, thanks everyone :)

So I'm listening to the Sparkast (finally got some free time) and they're talking about MC's armour and how they decided to use the design they did in FuD because of canon reasons... What the hell is the Halo Wars MK IV then? Are we just ignoring that now? I don't understand why they chose a design from a cartoon...
Plot hole you say? Nerd Rage [ON/OFF]

I like the Halo Wars armor better, but that game might as well exist in a separate reality from the rest of the franchise. The decision to use the "cartoon" armor may have had something to do with the fact that it looks a little more like the "classic Chief" that people know and love, as opposed to some random Spartan dude.

I don't think the FUD armor looks bad, but it does look simpler and by extension, more iconic.

Risen

Why do people want dmr down to 2x zoom again? People are having trouble with it close range, which is good; it should be stronger at a longer range than the br and weaker at a closer range.

There is a line of thought by some people that a 3x zoom on the DMR encourages camping and pot shotting across a BTB map, while a 2x zoom will foster increased movement.

I disagree... to a point, if not in theory. In theory, less zoom means one has to move and get closer to shoot. While this may be true for some (speaking only of the DMR at this point), a gun with a 3x zoom allows me to be dangerous from anywhere. I will move MORE with the 3x as I know I can engage more targets at wider ranges thereby allowing me to better control spawns on the other team.

I think it has less to do with the zoom and more to do with the player's play style and ability. Switching 3x to 2x will not change how I move around the map... it will simply make me less effective. Some probably like that... it means those with less awareness and less knowledge of typical player movement will feel empowered or be somewhat freed from the dangers created by playing against people with a higher order of awareness and ability.

So I'm listening to the Sparkast (finally got some free time) and they're talking about MC's armour and how they decided to use the design they did in FuD because of canon reasons...
I figured they just wanted a suit that worked better when put on an actual person, for live action and movie purposes.

So you do not even think about the possibility that each Spartan could have worn different armors?

FVVDV.png

Last one for a while. I swear.

There is a line of thought by some people that a 3x zoom on the DMR encourages camping and pot shotting across a BTB map, while a 2x zoom will foster increased movement.

I disagree... to a point, if not in theory. In theory, less zoom means one has to move and get closer to shoot. While this may be true for some (speaking only of the DMR at this point), a gun with a 3x zoom allows me to be dangerous from anywhere. I will move MORE with the 3x as I know I can engage more targets at wider ranges thereby allowing me to better control spawns on the other team.

I think it has less to do with the zoom and more to do with the player's play style and ability. Switching 3x to 2x will not change how I move around the map... it will simply make me less effective. Some probably like that... it means those with less awareness and less knowledge of typical player movement will feel empowered or be somewhat freed from the dangers created by playing against people with a higher order of awareness and ability.
Plus map design plays a large role in this. I think people are just wary of the DMR's 3x zoom because you could shoot across the entirety of reach's maps with it due to poor design.

daedalius

You're just too good at Halo! You skew the whole thing!

I don't anticipate a problem with the 3x DMR in Halo 4. Faster strafe/movement speed and sprint default will make it harder to crossmap.

The new loadout system should change things as well. I doubt we'll see everyone choosing to spawn with a DMR in Halo 4, most players will probably stick with the BR to be more effective at close/mid ranges.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
But I like heavies :(

Never got the issue with heavies. I like it personally. A gametype where I can "check out" for a bit and have some fun in some of the vehicles I never get to use. Plus it's the easiest game to get kills in ever. Sit up high with a SpLaser and rain death.

Striker

Plus map design plays a large role in this. I think people are just wary of the DMR's 3x zoom because you could shoot across the entirety of reach's maps with it due to poor design.
You take the DMR and put it in Valhalla, sit in the middle hill, and you get the same type of dead, no movement gameplay. The issue is partly map design, but it's moreso on the fact it can ping players with such tight accuracy over long range distances. The BR in 2 even with its tight spread didn't have the consistency of taking players out in such a range. Only players standing still could it have that opportunity - the only thing holding back the DMR from doing it more often is bloom.

I guess I could see 3x scope being a little bit of a problem in btb (which I don't play nearly as often), but like others have said it greatly depends on level design as well as other balances. Not to mention its good to have dmr's to counter sniper crazed dudes.

GhaleonEB

I don't anticipate a problem with the 3x DMR in Halo 4. Faster strafe/movement speed and sprint default will make it harder to crossmap.

I disagree. If everyone had sprint on Hemorrhage, the map would be no more playable, you'd still be getting pinged from all angles while traversing most of the map. And likewise on every BTB map I can think of.

I'm very worried about BTB in Halo 4. But I will of course be playing it in hopes that my fears are unfounded (look how long I kept trying BTB in Reach before throwing in the towel).

You take the DMR and put it in Valhalla, sit in the middle hill, and you get the same type of dead, no movement gameplay. The issue is partly map design, but it's moreso on the fact it can ping players with such tight accuracy over long range distances. The BR in 2 even with its tight spread didn't have the consistency of taking players out in such a range. Only players standing still could it have that opportunity - the only thing holding back the DMR from doing it more often is bloom.
Which is why the maps have to be made with the DMR in mind. Longbow didn't seem to suffer from this problem, although we've seen a very limited amount of gameplay.

Risen

You're just too good at Halo! You skew the whole thing!

lol not what I'm saying and you know it nerd...

Your logic is entirely dependent on play style, not weapon. Give me the DMR on Valhalla, with or without bloom, and I'm pushing hard... certainly harder than the top of the hill, because I can better control the spawn, and more quickly effect damage on the new spawn we just forced. It also means I force them to play on my terms and NOT take those pot shots, while maximizing effective damage. With less zoom, or say the H3 BR... the smarter play would have been to passively wait on the other team to attempt to push out of their base. And for the team that is trapped on spawn... that 3x zoom now allows you to make effective first shots for a push out of the trap.

Meh... as I said... it has more to do with the person, than the zoom. It has more to do with a person's way of playing the game. Some people look at Halo as a giant territory to control. We have a map, two opposing teams, and there is a constant ebb and flow of killing in order to take positions. Their goal is to as efficiently as possible put the other person in their spawn and keep them there. Whether that's objective, or slayer... Those people will take a 3x zoom and move just as much as before, if not more, precisely because it allows them to be more efficient in attaining their goal.

In CE there was a 3 shot capable pistol with a ZOOM... perhaps the epitome of what we are talking about here... and in general people did not camp. They moved because they felt empowered to move and be dangerous from any distance great or small.

daedalius

I disagree. If everyone had sprint on Hemorrhage, the map would be no more playable, you'd still be getting pinged from all angles while traversing most of the map. And likewise on every BTB map I can think of.

I'm very worried about BTB in Halo 4. But I will of course be playing it in hopes that my fears are unfounded (look how long I kept trying BTB in Reach before throwing in the towel).

Hemmorhage is a horribly designed map to function well with the DMR.

Something like Longbow looks like it would work fine with the DMR, considering it has a mix of long sight lines where the DMR can shine, but also much more close quarters areas where the BR would pound a DMR user.

lol not what I'm saying and you know it nerd...

Was just giving you shit :p

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Anyone interested in joining me in team swat? It's no fun owning noobs alone

:(

Actually haven't played reach much so I'm probably low on hidden rank... I feel like I'm constantly punishing these kids :p

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I figured they just wanted a suit that worked better when put on an actual person, for live action and movie purposes.

Also, it has a nice stealth/prototype feel - like this is one of its earliest deployments. You will see aspects of this in the story that are part of a pretty compelling subplot.

But I like heavies :(
jcSzl.jpg

Can I ask what you like about it?

Every game I've played of it turns into a nonsensical mixture of explosions, out-of-control vehicles, and confusing map design. It's like pressing play for all my favorite songs at once and maxing out the volume for 10 minutes straight. I'm not saying you are wrong for liking it, I'm genuinely curious about what it offers that other games do not.

Not to mention that The Package Mark IV just looks like a bulkier version of the Mark VI. Heck, I assumed that was the case for The Package just for artistic license. If that's the canon Mark IV now, then color me disappointed. Going from IV>V>VI doesn't look like a natural evolution. It's the Star Wars prequels all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom