• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risen

Can I ask what you like about it?

Every game I've played of it turns into a nonsensical mixture of explosions, out-of-control vehicles, and confusing map design. It's like pressing play for all my favorite songs at once and maxing out the volume for 10 minutes straight. I'm not saying you are wrong for liking it, I'm genuinely curious about what it offers that other games do not.

I think you probably answered your own question. A ton of people like it for precisely your description.

I've never been a BTB fan, much less Heavies... but there's a certain sort of fun to be had when everything on the map is a power weapon. In H3 I even found hugely competitive games on Standoff against Master Theory (one of the better BTB competitive groups), with Gauss Hogs, Banshees, Lasers, Rockets, Snipers, and more.

It certainly makes for frenetic game play.

I think you probably answered your own question. A ton of people like it for precisely your description.

I've never been a BTB fan, much less Heavies... but there's a certain sort of fun to be had when everything on the map is a power weapon. In H3 I even found hugely competitive games on Standoff against Master Theory (one of the better BTB competitive groups), with Gauss Hogs, Banshees, Lasers, Rockets, Snipers, and more.

It certainly makes for frenetic game play.

The difference between Reach BTB and Halo 3 BTB is that Halo 3's vehicle combat was the best in the series, while Reach's is the worst. The idea of getting the upper hand on the power weapon and vehicle count and then using that method of applying order to chaos to win is something I totally get, but in Reach it's just chaos on top of chaos.

In Halo 3 vehicles had a role and were generally reliable/consistent in that role. In Reach vehicle health is always a mystery, focused DMR fire and a sniper shot or two will shred anything at almost any range, ghosts are useless, Banshee beats everything, Gauss shoots through (some) walls, warthogs flip and twist with reckless abandon, and lastly: armor lock completely upends infantry vs. vehicle balance.

Every game I've played of it turns into a nonsensical mixture of explosions, out-of-control vehicles, and confusing map design. It's like pressing play for all my favorite songs at once and maxing out the volume for 10 minutes straight. I'm not saying you are wrong for liking it, I'm genuinely curious about what it offers that other games do not.

It's fun when I have the gausshog

But it's not fun when I'm on Cragmire
sorry Fyrewulff

Slaker117

Not to mention that The Package Mark IV just looks like a bulkier version of the Mark VI. Heck, I assumed that was the case for The Package just for artistic license. If that's the canon Mark IV now, then color me disappointed. Going from IV>V>VI doesn't look like a natural evolution. It's the Star Wars prequels all over again.

I don't know, can't it just be different variations of the same core armor system popping up at different times? It actually makes sense to me that you would see prototypes of certain configurations here and there out in the field as part of an iterative development process before they gain favor and dominance, rather than strict, uniform generational leaps, especially when you consider distribution to different battle groups spread across multiple star systems and such.

aj1467

I don't know, can't it just be different variations of the same core armor system popping up at different times? It actually makes sense to me that you would see prototypes of certain configurations here and there out in the field as part of an iterative development process before they gain favor and dominance, rather than strict, uniform generational leaps, especially when you consider distribution to different battle groups spread across multiple star systems and such.

I'm pretty sure they've said before that there were different iterations of the Mark IV, and that the internal components were identical but the outer shell varied as development went on. Can't remember where I saw this. The Visual Guide or a video on Waypoint maybe.

The graphics for Halo 4 really are fantastic. Always felt with Halo 'it's not about the graphics' and then forming a load of valid excuses as to why that is, but Halo 4 really does possess the graphical prowess to rival the best on the 360.

Those Forerunner attack dogs look good too, a highly aggressive, highly direct enemy unlike anything else we've seen in Halo before.

willow ve

I like it because it's a fiesta of death. And even when you're getting spawn killed there's generally a few power weapons in your base/spawn area that let you get kills and still have some fun even when it's 8 inheritors vs 4 randoms.

Fuchsdh

Not to mention that The Package Mark IV just looks like a bulkier version of the Mark VI. Heck, I assumed that was the case for The Package just for artistic license. If that's the canon Mark IV now, then color me disappointed. Going from IV>V>VI doesn't look like a natural evolution. It's the Star Wars prequels all over again.

It's funny you bring up the Star Wars
Prequels, because the design of the Clone Troopers is I think the perfect example of designing a logical canon progression.

I'm pretty sure they've said before that there were different iterations of the Mark IV, and that the internal components were identical but the outer shell varied as development went on. Can't remember where I saw this. The Visual Guide maybe.
Sounds like a half-assed way of fixing constant inconsistencies.

And whoever said that the armor in the Fall of Reach comic looks more like the one in The Package (Hypertrooper?), you're very wrong.

The_Covenant_-_MJOLNIR.jpg

That's Halo Wars armor through and through.

Would have much preferred something more akin to these:

I can visually see those evolving into this:

Overdoziz

Banned
We have the Community Cartographers to thank for this. You know those people from the community that the community(afaik) never selected.
We have 343 to blame for telling Community Cartographers to go collect Heavy maps and the putting those in Matchmaking.

Mmmm

-no detachable armor pieces like reach
-grunts looks like gears of wars wretches with pistols
-No grunts backpack explosion?
-Elites doesnt do theirs "oh shit" pose when you take theirs shields
-Spawn differents types of enemies like Gears of War 3 not a specific faction of enemies (lack of variety?)
-Specific maps for Spartan ops?
-Maps are huge with diferentes spawn places, nice

Barrow:

That is definitely not the Halo Wars armor. Do you have the comics?

Edit.: If you look at more pics, you will notice that the Chief wears obscure mix of the HW armor + Mark VI(which resembles a lot the Package armor)

Barrow:

No, I don't have the comic, and in that pic it's clearly not the Halo Wars armor. That's straight up the Mark VI, not even The Package Mark IV, just looks like the Mark VI. Does the art in the issue actually use that armor? Cover art is sometimes completely separate from the art in the book. If that armor is actually in the book while others are running around with Halo Wars style armor then that is just plain stupid. I have a copy of the TPB at work, I'm gonna flip through it later today.

Fuchsdh

Barrow:

Edit.: If you look at more pics, you will notice that the Chief wears obscure mix of the HW armor + Mark VI(which resembles a lot the Package armor)

Looks far more like HW (ESP the helmet) than The Package.

Slaker117

Good, I hate that A.I. Mechanic. Oh look, you took out my shields, now I'm going to stop shooting you, stand still and scream. It's effing retarded.

I thought it was kind of satisfying to get such a clear reaction, but it makes the Elites look undisciplined, and keeps them too exposed. So yeah, I think it's for the best.

As well as a point system that is not like traditional TS. Not that it matters because personally I don't think they should bother with 'classic' playlists that will likely not play out like there counterparts and there's no need to dilute the population like Reach does with its variants.

edit: Expanding on this, my point is: Either go all out or don't bother at all.
Well the point system is the same, but in infinity your individual score makes progress towards your ordnance. I agree though, I don't really understand the point of both. The only difference is personal ordnance or not, and we know that infinity will dominant in MM. With both being in MM apparently, I'm curious to see what they're strategy for them is. Will Infinity Slayer be a separate playlist, which I think is an immediate fragmentation mistake or will they just be gametypes to vote for in the same playlist(s)? Also, I've just kind of assumed this, but is there going to be Infinity gametypes for more than just Slayer?

Now I know this statement may rub some of HaloGAF the wrong way, but matchmaking in MP games is a largely social environment, and I think that the majority of the MM base will flock to the Infinity gametypes, the personal ordnance system is very approachable and earning your own powerups and weapons is appealing to players. So why not just go with the Infinity gametypes?
Lots of this, plus more.

For starters, stop jamming slayer down everybody's throat in BTB. While Reach's Big Team had its share of issues (Bungie's fault in the first place by ignoring BTB maps at launch). But eventually things got cleaned out, and Objectives were a focal point and a heavy dose in the votings. Lots of Assault and CTF with that splash of Territories. So what did 343 do? Put Boneyard/Spire on top of the list so they are appearing ALL the time. Objectives had gone the dodo, it's slayerslayerslayerslayerslayerslayer everywhere, Heavies got introduced for who god knows why. It sucked balls in 3 and it sucks now. Halo 4's BTB game modes should be focused on Flag, Assault (if it's even in the f'n game), Territories (per map basis), and Plots (three designated areas).
Agreed with Plywood's post about BTB as well. Playlist management again is very important. Given the map situation in Reach, and the other aspects of the gameplay, Bungie had the BTB playlist in a pretty good spot before handing off to 343, with the obvious exception of getting DLC maps to show, but no one buys them. 343 gutted that playlist with some of the reasons you listed above. Even if Halo 4 plays BTB really well, BTB Slayer sucks. BTB should be mostly objective.
Is it true that somebody at 343 said Haven is the smallest map in Halo 4?
They said at E3 that Haven and Adrift were the small maps in the game. So expect larger maps, there isn't going to be maps the size of Guardian and Midship in H4.
Looks great. I love the mobility of the Promethean class of enemies, and the Knights looks awesome to fight. I'm sort of hoping that was shortened for demo purposes though, each area/objective was real quick, could have used another wave of enemies at each one.

Those Elites jumping out of the Phantom while it was on the move and sliding along the map for the landing was badass.
LOL perfect reply.
Which is why the maps have to be made with the DMR in mind. Longbow didn't seem to suffer from this problem, although we've seen a very limited amount of gameplay.
Agreed with this. Hemorrhage is not a good map for Reach given the DMR compounded by the very limited movement options in Reach. Not saying the DMR itself doesn't present problems in a BTB setting, but I believe that most of those issues can be avoided by map design that takes the weapon sandbox and core player mechanics into account.

This is on the Halo Wiki (not Halopedian) under the Mark V page, but these all look like the Mark IV so maybe it's in the wrong article.

Look at the chest plate shape, the 1 large shoulder pad with 1 small, the upside down triangle on the knee pad, John's helmet. The only thing in common with The Package/FUD armor is the white stripes on the arms.

Edit: Man, the art in these comics is kinda poopy...

daedalius

Good, I hate that A.I. Mechanic. Oh look, you took out my shields, now I'm going to stop shooting you, stand still and scream. It's effing retarded.

Me too; they didn't really do it in Halo CE. They were stunned for quite a short amount of time and then took cover quickly.

The really brought in the stun on elites in Halo 2; where noob combo was king against them.

Its even more significant in Reach, where its a complete joke to strip their shields with a PP and follow up with a headshot. Yes, stand there and roar; excellent mechanic... derp.

zap

So, has anyone worked out the shield recharge time for Halo 4 War Games? From videos it seems like it's faster than Reach, but slower than Halo 3.

That's one of the biggest changes I hated about Reach, it takes too long for shields to recharge, so you can't re-engage as quickly as Halo 3. It's almost 2 seconds difference iirc, which is huge in a game like Halo.

No, I don't have the comic, and in that pic it's clearly not the Halo Wars armor. That's straight up the Mark VI, not even The Package Mark IV, just looks like the Mark VI. Does the art in the issue actually use that armor? Cover art is sometimes completely separate from the art in the book. If that armor is actually in the book while others are running around with Halo Wars style armor then that is just plain stupid. I have a copy of the TPB at work, I'm gonna flip through it later today.
Okay. I have to admit that they are really using the Mark IV from Halo Wars in the comics. When I researched on Saturday, I had only looked at the cover.

daedalius

So, has anyone worked out the shield recharge time for Halo 4 War Games? From videos it seems like it's faster than Reach, but slower than Halo 3.

That's one of the biggest changes I hated about Reach, it takes too long for shields to recharge, so you can't re-engage as quickly as Halo 3. It's almost 2 seconds difference iirc, which is huge in a game like Halo.

I think someone did somewhere, it is closer to 3 than Reach in terms of how fast it starts to recharge, and how long the actual recharge takes. You can also take that mod to make the actual recharge speed a bit faster; which is then probably a bit faster than Halo 3's speed (not when it STARTS to recharge, but how long it takes to charge from none to full once it starts).

Ryaaan14

Banned
Does anyone else think it's adorable when the Promethean Knights prepare their teleport, and kind of do a little dance of their people by twisting their arms out? Almost looks like a cute little curtsy.

Does anyone think it's adorable when the Promethean Knights prepare their teleport, and kind of do a little dance of their people by twisting their arms out. Almost looks like a cute little curtsy.

it is even more adorable when they teleport charge you and smack you silly.
I was scared for my life

L0GIKILL

Neo Member
Is it possible for a US citizen like myself to pre-order Halo 4 from a retailer that offers the battle rifle skin? I see myself using the BR a lot and would like to order from any retailer that offers this as a pre-order bonus. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom