• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swarmerr

Yeah, but these are easy to get around. Say if by a miracle there is ranks, they'll just do the same thing they did when there were ranks, keep shooting you until you're 1 shot so the enemy can kill you easily.

The suicides all they need to do is suicide a few times, then kill one enemy, suicide a few times, kill an enemy, suicide a few times etc.

And for the AFK problem, all they'll need to do is attach an elastic band onto their controller so their spartan continuously runs forward.

We definitely need a miracle... I don't know what will happen for me with halo 4 if there are no ranks.

Akai__

Yeah, but these are easy to get around. Say if by a miracle there is ranks, they'll just do the same thing they did when there were ranks, keep shooting you until you're 1 shot so the enemy can kill you easily.

I never experienced this in Halo 3. I think it is too much effort for de-ranker.

Edit: Most people just stay around or are jumping constantly. It's easy to detect this.

The suicides all they need to do is suicide a few times, then kill one enemy, suicide a few times, kill an enemy, suicide a few times etc.

Okay, let me change this then. If a player does more than 5 suicides in a game. Kick him. Especially, when killed by guardians.

I see the problem here...

And for the AFK problem, all they'll need to do is attach an elastic band onto their controller so their spartan continuously runs forward.

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but isn't this already included in the AFK detection system?

Talents

Banned
I never experienced this in Halo 3. I think it is too much effort for de-ranker.

Edit: Most people just stay around or are jumping constantly. It's easy to detect this.

I'd say about 40% of the time I got derankers on my team, if he saw we were easily keeping up or beating the other team even without him, he'd just begin shooting me to get me 1 shot.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Finally finished Ghosts of Onyx and started Glasslands. I think Onyx may be my favorite book from the Halo series so far. Reach is up there though.

I really wonder how the game will explain where Halsey and the other Spartans had been, and about Onyx as a shield world. Seems like a ton of relevant back story to know.

a zoojoo

Banned
Finally finished Ghosts of Onyx and started Glasslands. I think Onyx may be my favorite book from the Halo series so far. Reach is up there though.

I really wonder how the game will explain where Halsey and the other Spartans had been, and about Onyx as a shield world. Seems like a ton of relevant back story to know.

Reach is not only my favorite Halo book, but it's gotta be my favorite book period. First Strike is good as well.

I strongly disagree; for me, this was one of Halo 1's great flaws. As a general rule, the enemy should be able to engage us from the same distance we can engage them. Not at all times - a sniper turkey shoot or DMR donging can be quite fun. But when the enemy is literally never equipped beyond close range as they were in Halo 1, that means any open spaces or even medium spaces revolve around turkey shoots. (This was one of Reach's flaws as well, though in that case it was brought about by the DMR extending our range beyond the Convenant's.)

What I don't like is being headshot with no notice, which is why the Focus Rifle hit a sweet spot.

This is kind of hard to respond to because I don't know what "turkey shoots" are, but I don't see any refutation of the points I made in my first response. My biggest problem – kind of like you – is when the enemy has a sniper, but the problem is there to a lesser extent with the Focus rifle. Long range weapons.

Maybe I'm bad at campaign, I don't know, but my experience with snipers (using this term to include Covenant who wield Focus Rifles in Reach) is that if you don't take them out first, your movements and options are going to be very restricted – through what weapons you can use and the routes can take – until you do take them out. As a result, their inclusions in the campaign get samey. You can't go through the last encounter of Sierra 117 – or at the very least it'd be very hard to do – with a Needler and an AR (yes, I would do that because I like using both weapons) because you'll have those two snipers in the back bearing down on your position with no effective way to take 'em out. And that's typical of sniper placement: they're placed in the back out of reach of most of the fight. You shoot them in the head and...that's it. There's no experimenting or any meaningful engagement with them, and so I think they're boring.

Covenant who use mid-range weapons are a lot more manageable because you can still close distance with them, allowing for more versatility. They're not stuck on some perch where I can't get to them. I jumped the gun when I included them with their long-range counterparts.

I'm not following. Why would players need to know about Onyx or the whereabouts of Fred, Kelly, and Linda? Well, you haven't finished Glasslands, so maybe that's why you're wondering.

Edit:
Reach is not only my favorite Halo book, but it's gotta be my favorite book period. First Strike is good as well.
You need to read more.

Besides, PJC is the best thing Nylund has written for the Halo universe.

Pop

We definitely need a miracle... I don't know what will happen for me with halo 4 if there are no ranks.

The same thing I do with Reach, which is barely play. I love comparing myself to my opponents/teammates knowing were I stack up. And while their at it how about we get 2 sections in MM, one Social and the other Ranked. Simple enough...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The same thing I do with Reach, which is barely play. I love comparing myself to my opponents/teammates knowing were I stack up. And while their at it how about we get 2 sections in MM, one Social and the other Ranked. Simple enough...

So no ranks and you're pretty much out? Shit makes me lol

Pop

No, more like I'll barely play H4 like I do Reach now. Why not have rank?? Just cause Bungie wouldn't to appeal to the masses and take out Rank(for some unknown terrible reason) doesn't mean 343i should follow in their footsteps. Clearly taking out Rank wasn't a very smart move.

Edit: or adding bloom, mini nukes, jump height of hippo and a grey blob they call forge

Tashi

No, more like I'll barely play H4 like I do Reach now. Why not have rank?? Just cause Bungie wouldn't to appeal to the masses and take out Rank(for some unknown terrible reason) doesn't mean 343i should follow in their footsteps. Clearly taking out Rank wasn't a very smart move.

Barely = pretty much out

Anyway, I love ranks too but nothing aside from horrible gameplay will get me to stop playing Halo. And I don't see that happening.

Talents

Banned

Just cause you don't share the same opinion, doesn't mean others don't. A large proportion of the competitive community are banking on ranks to help bring the feeling of competitive Halo back, just cause you don't care what happens to competitive Halo doesn't give you the right to attempt to insult people who do care.

heckfu

Banned
Why do you need ranks just to see how you'll stack up? Are you going to get new skill based off their rank or are you just seeing how fast you'll need to quid out if it's too much?

Seems like a stupid, stupid reason to not play a game.

"Some people like the canon, the graphics, or gameplay, but not me! No sir, im here for the ranks!"

Just cause you don't share the same opinion, doesn't mean others don't. A large proportion of the competitive community are banking on ranks to help bring the feeling of competitive Halo back, just cause you don't care what happens to competitive Halo doesn't give you the right to attempt to insult people who do care.
Do you have numbers to support your claim that a large portion are "banking" on it? And saying Tashi doesn't care...lolllllllllllll

kylej

Banned
Reach is not only my favorite Halo book, but it's gotta be my favorite book period.

If you hooked James Joyce and Melville's coffins up to a turbine, you could power the city of New York with the speed at which they're rolling in their graves.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and that goes out to anyone here, but I was under the impression that Bungie took out the traditional ranking system – with numbers and such – not because they didn't like it or wanted to "appeal to the masses," but because they wanted to get rid of the problems tied to it from observations of Halo 2 and 3 (cheating, alternate accounts) while offering a similar competitive experience.

Maybe they also wanted to experiment with a new ranking system too, which after two games with similar systems I can understand.

Tashi

This shit makes me lol even harder

You don't think I want fuckin ranks? Please, I've talkin about it for years, your ass just hasn't been here for that long. And I don't know where you get the idea that I don't care what happens to competitive Halo. You can go back to yesterday where I was making posts about an all encompassing competitive playlist for Halo 4. And Halo 3's ranking system was good but it wasn't good enough. In MLG there were so many people that hit 50 it lost its meaning. How did people know who was good then? You just knew who were the good guys in the playlist from experience. It's the same thing I do with Reach. I recognize the good players.

edit: Holy fuckin shit Kyle :lol :lol

Talents

Banned
This shit makes me lol even harder

You don't think I want fuckin ranks? Please, I've talkin about it for years, your ass just hasn't been here for that long. And I don't know where you get the idea that I don't care what happens to competitive Halo. You can go back to yesterday where I was making posts about an all encompassing competitive playlist for Halo 4. And Halo 3's ranking system was good but it wasn't good enough. In MLG there were so many people that hit 50 it lost its meaning. How did people know who was good then? You just knew who were the good guys in the playlist from experience. It's the same thing I do with Reach. I recognize the good players.

edit: Holy fuckin shit Kyle :lol :lol

Oh yeah, cause you DEFINATELY weren't new here at some point either right? You were here since computers were invented and was the first guy ever to post right?

I got the idea from you always putting people who try to voice their opinions and wishes down, and guess what? I hardly ever see you arguing against people who are not juniors. The only people I see you attempt to argue against who aren't juniors is people like over.

Karl2177

If you hooked James Joyce and Melville's coffins up to a turbine, you could power the city of New York with the speed at which they're rolling in their graves.
Hahahahahahaha

Dax, you bring up an interesting point about the placement of long range enemy combatants. What I've always thought a good workaround is placing them in areas accessible to the player. The dam at the end of Sierra 117 does this, but the other 2 positions where Jackal Snipers are do not.

it may be easy to get around, but it doesnt mean it shouldnt be implemented.

off topic, but can someone pm me a quick summary of what happens in the end of mass effect and what the dlc 'fixed'. my file got corrupt and i honestly dont feel like going through the campaign again.

Tashi

Oh yeah, cause you DEFINATELY weren't new here at some point either right? You were here since computers were invented and was the first guy ever to post right?

I got the idea from you always putting people who try to voice their opinions and wishes down, and guess what? I hardly ever see you arguing against people who are not juniors. The only people I see you attempt to argue against who aren't juniors is people like over.

But when I was a junior I'm pretty sure I didn't call people out about shit I didn't know about them.

You don't see me arguing against regular members? Maybe it's like that since you've been here but I've had my fair share of arguments here over the years (since like you said I'm the first guy to ever post). Including a few about ranking systems. Weird right?

Pop

Why do you need ranks just to see how you'll stack up? Are you going to get new skill based off their rank or are you just seeing how fast you'll need to quid out if it's too much?

Seems like a stupid, stupid reason to not play a game.

"Some people like the canon, the graphics, or gameplay, but not me! No sir, im here for the ranks!"
So tell me a good reason to play MM like Reach without ranks? Clearly Reach is superior in competition, please. The first thing I will be doing is completing campaign, then try Spartan Ops, forge, customs and last MM. I like competition and Reach has none of that. Every game it seems I'm matching people who are either drunk or 5 yrs old. With ranks we could match with people similar to us. Reach credit system does not in anyway encourage people to win, you get the credits if you play or not. Oh look I'm an inheritor, I must be the best. Clearly huh

Correct me if I'm wrong, and that goes out to anyone here, but I was under the impression that Bungie took out the traditional ranking system – with numbers and such – not because they didn't like it or wanted to "appeal to the masses," but because they wanted to get rid of the problems tied to it from observations of Halo 2 and 3 (cheating, alternate accounts) while offering a similar competitive experience.

Maybe they also wanted to experiment with a new ranking system too, which after two games with similar systems I can understand.

Reach system was far from a ranking system. Come on, anyone with a controller and 1 kill a game could reach inheritor with enough patience. Regarding Bungie, they change the whole landscape of how Halo plays. Only thing that's the same is that your still playing as Spartans.

So tell me a good reason to play MM like Reach without ranks? Clearly Reach is superior in competition, please. The first thing I will be doing is completing campaign, then try Spartan Ops, forge, customs and last MM. I like competition and Reach has none of that. Every game it seems I'm matching people who are either drunk or 5 yrs old. With ranks we could match with people similar to us. Reach credit system does not in anyway encourage people to win, you get the credits if you play or not. Oh look I'm an inheritor, I must be the best. Clearly huh

Reach system was far from a ranking system. Come on, anyone with a controller and 1 kill a game could reach inheritor with enough patience. Regarding Bungie, they change the whole landscape of how Halo plays. Only thing that's the same is that your still playing as Spartans.

you dont need a ranking system to have comeptitive matches, you need fucking trueskill to do its job. bungie left its parameters loose to increase search times

reach had a ranking system, the arena. the system made sense but the original idea of ranking people based on game performance was flawed and the gametypes originaly found in arena turned many people away from it. not to mention it was a hassle to find your own or anyone elses rank.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm not following. Why would players need to know about Onyx or the whereabouts of Fred, Kelly, and Linda? Well, you haven't finished Glasslands, so maybe that's why you're wondering.

Edit:

You need to read more.

I'm sure you are correct. But even explaining Halsey's whereabouts to the player and that she already had contact with a shield world like the one Chief is now on. Also, how they explain whichever Spartans are left at the end of Glasslands, where they've been since pre-Reach. I'm very interested to see how they explain the differing A.I. between shield worlds too, as Onyx had Sentinels and Requiem appears to have more land-based A.I. protecting it.

Hahahahahahaha

Dax, you bring up an interesting point about the placement of long range enemy combatants. What I've always thought a good workaround is placing them in areas accessible to the player. The dam at the end of Sierra 117 does this, but the other 2 positions where Jackal Snipers are do not.
That encounter is better than others in that both sniper positions are accessible, but for that particular one, access to both is achieved through such a roundabout manner that they may as well not be accessible. Especially when it matters the most: There's a huge hold between you and them at the start, and it's comparable to that lone sniper on the other side of the river where Johnson's Pelican gets hit by the Banshees.

But indeed. It's more fun to fight snipers when you can get to where they're sniping from.
But when I was a junior I'm pretty sure I didn't call people out about shit I didn't know about them.

You don't see me arguing against regular members? Maybe it's like that since you've been here but I've had my fair share of arguments here over the years (since like you said I'm the first guy to ever post). Including a few about ranking systems. Weird right?
Tashi likes bloom. Of course he's argued with others members here.
I was talking about Arena.

Pop

you dont need a ranking system to have comeptitive matches, you need fucking trueskill to do its job. bungie left its parameters loose to increase search times

reach had a ranking system, the arena. the system made sense but the original idea of ranking people based on game performance was flawed and the gametypes originaly found in arena turned many people away from it. not to mention it was a hassle to find your own or anyone elses rank.

True

Correct. Plus bloom, shitty maps and jetpack. Not to mention how many "power weapons" are on each map, dear god. All people did was crouch with sword/shotgun all game long. Sigh...

Sofa King

Ranks, no ranks, makes no difference to me.

Make the game fun, make the game interesting, make good maps. That's all most people need, myself included.

Just thoroughly check HTR's setup of a Ranking System and move on. You'll (at least) be pleased with it.

What he said is all true.

Trey

Guys, any recommendations for a headset and mic combo that is wonderful for gaming and general use? Compatible with PC and 360. Around 50-70 dollars.

Caja 117

As long as there is a Ranking system where people actually care about such ranks a group of players will find a way to cheat or exploit such system, While ranks give an added sense of competitiveness to the game, it is really sad that some people would stop playing a game if they don't have ranks, What ever happened to having clean fun playing a great game?

Like Tashi, I will also like to see Ranks in Halo 4, but that doesn't mean I will not play it if it doesn't have ranks.

ibQVTVR320y7v.png

/s

Tashi

Tashi, I heard you don't care about the future of competitive Halo. That saddens me. RIP halo.

Yea they got rid of ranks so now I can't play the game. Competitive Halo is only about ranks so no numbers, no Tashi either.

Halo 2 ranks pls.

Not sure how many times this subject is going to be gone over, but there is cheating/exploiting in every system. If 343 doesn't want boosting, then it probably wasn't the best idea to add unlockable weapons/perks. If MM is similar to Reach people will just have full parties and boost to unlock the weapons sooner.

I will never understand (even with real statistics) why Halo 2's system was removed especially with improvements made to the banhammer, and the Xbox 360 making it harder to use cheating mods.

This talk about ranks is getting tired. So tired in fact that I'm actually gonna say something about it just to get it off my chest.

I do not care for ranks. Ranks birth one of the most vile creatures in Matchmaking: The Big-Headed Dudebro. 5-star Generals in Halo 3 were just the worst. I had a friend IRL who bacame one and it almost tore us apart.

JK, but seriously I don't care for ranks. Just give me good BTB and I am gravy.

Oh and good truskill would be awesome so I don't get matched against a team of Tashis thanks.

This talk about ranks is getting tired. So tired in fact that I'm actually gonna say something about it just to get it off my chest.

I do not care for ranks. Ranks birth one of the most vile creatures in Matchmaking: The Big-Headed Dudebro. 5-star Generals in Halo 3 were just the worst. I had a friend IRL who bacame one and it almost tore us apart.

JK, but seriously I don't care for ranks. Just give me good BTB and I am gravy.
You had me going there... How could you toy with my emotions? :'(
lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom