• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

a zoojoo

Banned
Not to sound like a snob, because I know I was never a big reader myself but wtf Fall of Reach is your favorite book ever?! I really liked it too but shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

http://www.twitch.tv/eglhalo

EGL is streaming
There are really good books that i love like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Harry Potter, Lord Of The Rings/The Hobbit, but The Fall of Reach was........ something else. I felt the most satisfied as i ever did reading a book after i finished that. I read that shit in a weekend.
If you hooked James Joyce and Melville's coffins up to a turbine, you could power the city of New York with the speed at which they're rolling in their graves.

hahahahahhah

Oh yeah, cause you DEFINATELY weren't new here at some point either right? You were here since computers were invented and was the first guy ever to post right?

I got the idea from you always putting people who try to voice their opinions and wishes down, and guess what? I hardly ever see you arguing against people who are not juniors. The only people I see you attempt to argue against who aren't juniors is people like over.

Oh-boy-here-we-go.jpg

I'm sure you are correct. But even explaining Halsey's whereabouts to the player and that she already had contact with a shield world like the one Chief is now on. Also, how they explain whichever Spartans are left at the end of Glasslands, where they've been since pre-Reach. I'm very interested to see how they explain the differing A.I. between shield worlds too, as Onyx had Sentinels and Requiem appears to have more land-based A.I. protecting it.
I don't understand what relevance these points have to what little we know about the plot of Halo 4. Why would they need to be addressed? Additionally, Frankie has said many times that players will not have to read whatever books that come out before Halo 4 in order to understand the story. Meaning the stories that occur in the books and in the games are largely independent of each other.

The only plot line that would have any relevance to the Chief that I can think of at the moment is (light Glasslands spoiler)
Halsey's desire to see the Chief alive and well, and not knowing whether he's alive or not. There was a lot of emphasis placed on their relationship in the book. But I assume that meeting will be handled outside of the games, and if/when it happens, I hope it's written very, very well. I'm really looking forward to that moment.
Well Arena...see above

Overall system was and is still a joke in Reach.

I don't think you're following what I've been saying. I took issue with your assertion that Bungie changed from traditional ranking system to the Arena because they "wanted to to appeal to the masses." I wasn't arguing that the current system is better than the previous one.

I'll be making myself some lunch then I'll be hopping on Halo 3. So in about 5-10 minutes. Anybody want to join me?

Edit: Also, I'm back at school, so I have a microphone again.

Homeboyd

Man I was JUST about to express my genuine pride in HaloGAF for talking about halo for like 3 pages...

You were doing so well!

Talents

Banned
Look, can everyone just forget about it. I wasn't trying to start an arguement, I just wanted to try and voice my opinion. I'm sorry.

a zoojoo

Banned
He even has his name/watermark emblazoned on that ridiculous thing.

He created it, it's his right whether or not he does that.

I don’t know how a community of fruitful debate is going to happen when stances are stated as merely “it’s my opinion, and that’s enough”. It isn’t, and never will be. In a thread in desperate need of actual Halo talk, running away/shunning any kind of conflict between user mindsets is ultimately harmful, and we're right back to posting shitty gifs and saying nothing of any value.

Cuz we need news.

I don’t know how a community of fruitful debate is going to happen when stances are stated as merely “it’s my opinion, and that’s enough”. It isn’t, and never will be. In a thread in desperate need of actual Halo talk, running away/shunning any kind of conflict between user mindsets is ultimately harmful, and we're right back to posting shitty gifs and saying nothing of any value.

Ramirez

Well, we're still 4 weeks out from new info, better hunker down and prepare yourself for more meaningless posts!

a zoojoo

Banned

Spill it.

I just woke up, and I had a dream last night that me, heckfu, Plywood, and kylej (I have no idea why I remember those names specifically) were at some convention and in a 4v4 Halo 4 tournament.

Right when the game 1 started, heckfu's TV wouldn't work, and the only way to fix it was if I changed to a 50" standard definition television, because heckfu's HDMI cable would only work if I used AUX cables. I have no idea why or what the fuck.jpg.

By the time I switched TV's, Plywood and kylej (who were still playing, by the way, because for some reason the game kept going) were getting destroyed. I came back in the game and specifically 5-shot someone with a Pistol, and we came back and won that game.

Then, for some reason, my dream went to playing FF Doubles in Halo 4. We couldn't kill this Brute Chieftain and all died.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S ON. I DON'T KNOW ANY OF YOU OR WHAT YOU EVEN LOOK LIKE. WHY AM I DREAMING ABOUT YOU PEOPLE.

I have the weirdest boner right now.

kylej

Banned

It's continually amazing to me how many people here try to stifle Halo discussion in a thread about Halo.

Anyway I'm blowing off some family reunion bullshit to play Team Objective all day. Juices get on in like an hour. Thanks.

Enfinit

I just woke up, and I had a dream last night that me, heckfu, Plywood, and kylej (I have no idea why I remember those names specifically) were at some convention and in a 4v4 Halo 4 tournament.

Right when the game 1 started, heckfu's TV wouldn't work, and the only way to fix it was if I changed to a 50" standard definition television, because heckfu's HDMI cable would only work if I used AUX cables. I have no idea why or what the fuck.jpg.

By the time I switched TV's, Plywood and kylej (who were still playing, by the way, because for some reason the game kept going) were getting destroyed. I came back in the game and specifically 5-shot someone with a Pistol, and we came back and won that game.

Then, for some reason, my dream went to playing FF Doubles in Halo 4. We couldn't kill this Brute Chieftain and all died.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S ON. I DON'T KNOW ANY OF YOU OR WHAT YOU EVEN LOOK LIKE. WHY AM I DREAMING ABOUT YOU PEOPLE.

Aggrotek

Ladies and gentlemen, can I please have your attention. I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story. I need all of you, to stop what you're doing and listen.

Anyone wanna play objective?

Neogaf.gif

GhaleonEB

This is kind of hard to respond to because I don't know what "turkey shoots" are, but I don't see any refutation of the points I made in my first response.

Assault on the Control Room. You have just helped the besieged Marines fend off Covenant, and snagged the sniper rifle. There's a huge open plain ahead of your, on which you see Jackals. You can shoot them. They can't shoot back because you are too far away.

Second level of first game, Halo. Clearing the exterior of Forerunner structures with the sniper rifle. Again, you have a sniper rifle and a scoped pistol. They have a plasma rifle and don't leave their area. You can sit back and shoot them without worrying about return fire. Just two examples.

Now, these sequences can be fun, and I think allowing us time to pluck off guys at our leisure should be part of the game. But never allowing return fire is what I was commenting on.

My biggest problem – kind of like you – is when the enemy has a sniper, but the problem is there to a lesser extent with the Focus rifle. Long range weapons.

Maybe I'm bad at campaign, I don't know, but my experience with snipers (using this term to include Covenant who wield Focus Rifles in Reach) is that if you don't take them out first, your movements and options are going to be very restricted – through what weapons you can use and the routes can take – until you do take them out.
Yes, I agree. I do not think this is a problem; they're snipers, after all. You need to kill them, evade them, or flank them.

As a result, their inclusions in the campaign get samey. You can't go through the last encounter of Sierra 117 – or at the very least it'd be very hard to do – with a Needler and an AR (yes, I would do that because I like using both weapons) because you'll have those two snipers in the back bearing down on your position with no effective way to take 'em out. And that's typical of sniper placement: they're placed in the back out of reach of most of the fight. You shoot them in the head and...that's it. There's no experimenting or any meaningful engagement with them, and so I think they're boring.
I don't really disagree with this, but I think the role you describe - the 117 encounter - can be fun when used well and sparingly. I enjoy being pinned down by snipers, and systematically taking them out; the tension of worrying about counter sniping adds something to the encounters that is missing without them. What I don't like is when those scenarios are over-used, or when there's a sniper alley type of encounter (all snipers, all the time).

Covenant who use mid-range weapons are a lot more manageable because you can still close distance with them, allowing for more versatility. They're not stuck on some perch where I can't get to them. I jumped the gun when I included them with their long-range counterparts.
Fair enough, I agree. :)

Fuchsdh

Assault on the Control Room. You have just helped the
I don't really disagree with this, but I think the role you describe - the 117 encounter - can be fun when used well and sparingly. I enjoy being pinned down by snipers, and systematically taking them out; the tension of worrying about counter sniping adds something to the encounters that is missing without them. What I don't like is when those scenarios are over-used, or when there's a sniper alley type of encounter (all snipers, all the time).

This. Halo has had a problem of using snipers in "sniper alley" type engagements in Halo 2 and Halo 3. These encounters were never fun because it usually just turned into brute-force memorization of positions. At least in Halo 3 there were fewer Beam Rifle Jackals and they had lights so you knew when they had their eye on you.

I think the Halo games could do a better job of threatening you at longer ranges while still keeping the advantage in your court. If the range of the weapon the enemy is holding is their biggest advantage in a firefight, as opposed to numbers, positions, etc., I think that it tends to be a weak encounter from a fun standpoint.

Aggrotek

There are really good books that i love like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Harry Potter, Lord Of The Rings/The Hobbit, but The Fall of Reach was........ something else. I felt the most satisfied as i ever did reading a book after i finished that. I read that shit in a weekend.

I haven't read FoR but there is no way that it has the same impact as some of the literature that I have read.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Jorge was by far the best character in Reach and id love him to get retconned back in but i doubt 343 would be open to such an idea.

I mean i have zero idea where the Reclaimer trilogy is going and it could all end up in some amazing Human Vs Precursor Vs Flood Vs Forerunner Vs Covenant War with the Chief, Jun, Jorge The spartans from GoO and Bucks ODST's mounting the final assault but id imagine 343 want to keep plot ends open. Halo has the potential (some of which we have seen) to evolve into something akin to star wars in terms of expansion.
Holy shit! I don't know if that would be incredible or terrible, haha. Definitely something to think about though. I'd like to see some member of Noble Team come back.
Yeah, He basically got taken to some (as of now) unknown location. When he got there he was very likely still alive in the ship and is just MIA
Requiem.
DUN DUN
Guys, any recommendations for a headset and mic combo that is wonderful for gaming and general use? Compatible with PC and 360. Around 50-70 dollars.
Check out the Tritton Trigger Headset. I think it's PC compatible, but I'm not completely sure.

See, that's just harmful. Here I am on my self-imposed PAX Watch 2012 ready to wait 4 weeks and now you're saying it's sooner? Time to recalibrate the hype meter.
....did you guys not already know there was news coming?

Noricart

I'm about to play Cortana on Legendary. Any tips? Last time I tried I raged and never tried again. Gotta beat H3 solo legendary before Halo 4.

Halo 3 on legendary isn't that hard tbh. Cortana is one of the easier levels. Melee the combat forms and use brute shot on the pure ones.
Oh and you can prettly much leg first parts of the level.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Also, reposting this from last night. I PMed Frank asking if 343's ever gotten feedback like this, but he hasn't responded, lol.

Something that's been happening to me sporadically has become a permanent thing:
Anytime I fire the Needle Rifle, it's bloom behaves in the vanilla manner. So I always have 100% bloom with the thing.

No idea what causes it, it only started when I began playing the GoD version, so maybe that's related. Probably not. Here's a link demonstrating it.

So frustrating. I didn't like Elite Slayer to begin with, now it sucks even more :(

Checked it this morning, it still does it. Even in customs.

Is there a sparkast coming out soon? I've got a nice little 3 hour drive thursday, so it would be nice to have it by then. kthx

Edit: just watched your needle rifle clip, that's fucking weird.

Also, reposting this from last night. I PMed Frank asking if 343's ever gotten feedback like this, but he hasn't responded, lol.

I've noticed this of late but I always assumed it was because I would start firing it immediately after weapon switching, in which case the reticle just holds to the bloom whilst it's flared. Are you testing this standing still and letting the bloom reset fully until you start firing?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Oh you didn't see Frank's post about that? He wrote, "lol we've moved on bro"

Fracas

#fuckonami
I've noticed this of late but I always assumed it was because I would start firing it immediately after weapon switching, in which case the reticle just holds to the bloom whilst it's flared. Are you testing this standing still and letting the bloom reset fully until you start firing?
Yep. When I let the reticle reset after picking it up, it still does it, although not every time.
Hey guys, I could use some help.

So, Krow and I both use Turtle Beach X-11s. Both of our wired go around the back of the tv and his goes left, mine goes right.

His wire is twisted as fuck! My wire is totally fine. His wire just twists and twists and now the length of the wire is essentially reduced by quite a bit.

How can tis be happening and what is the best way to fix this?
I had this problem with an old headset. Unfortunately, I don't know how to fix it. I can say that you should definitely get it fixed, or the rubber casing will get screw up and the wires will fray. It's what happened to mine :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom