• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Woorloog

Banned
Well....

At least Gungnir has somewhat of a visor. Can't be said for most of the halo 4 helmets... I seriously hate the vast majority of them. Strider looks solid. Recruit looks the best so far. That default one from before looked mediocre but passable.

We haven't sen the default yet. The Warrior is the most common so far but we haven't seen the default, unless it is the Soldier or some other we've seen already.

Me, i like small visors.

Also, Scanner looks good.

Tawpgun

We haven't sen the default yet. The Warrior is the most common so far but we haven't seen the default, unless it is the Soldier or some other we've seen already.

Me, i like small visors.

Yeah that's the one I was referencing. Small visors aren't bad I just want them to make sense. To seem practical.

The majority of Halo 4 helmets don't do this. I'd even say scanner is practical because it looks like an attachment over a solid looking helmet.

Problem is its ugly as hell.

Me, i like small visors.

Recruit isn't default? Seems like a logical assumption.
iizZJYaShFc4c.jpg

Overdoziz

Banned
Have we reached the point yet where there is more pre-order armor than there is armor that you can get in the game normally? It's becoming really ridiculous. At least it mostly look like shitty fan-made armor so far but it's still bad practice.

I also find it amusing that Bungie never thought of multiplayer as canon and still settled with mostly normal looking armor while 343 decides to make multiplayer canon for the first time and they create all kinds of wacky stuff. You're telling me that Spartan 4's will wear a helmet with a unicorn horn on it but they won't wear Chief's armor? Give me a break. Also, let's not forget the chest/shoulder piece that had a bunch of tumors on it. Damn, that thing looked hilariously bad.

DesertFox

It is LE exclusive, so it can't be the default. UNLESS the LE doesn't actually contain exclusive armor but just the skin...

I know - I really wish we could get some official word on exactly what part of this is exclusive. Especially now with the map pack having 2 exclusive helmets.... what?! So now they're going to reward the people who don't get the LE? I've never been so confused on what content comes with the version of the game I'm getting.

Karl2177

I know - I really wish we could get some official word on exactly what part of this is exclusive. Especially now with the map pack having 2 exclusive helmets.... what?! So now they're going to reward the people who don't get the LE? I've never been so confused on what content comes with the version of the game I'm getting.
Official explanation? 343 marketing is piecing together from every possible news source and having major gaps, because we are forced to come to conclusions.

DesertFox

Must have missed that post. That's interesting then. Wonder why they chose to use a non-default armor for all of the marketing.

It was on page 297 of OT7

Official explanation? 343 marketing is piecing together from every possible news source and having major gaps, because we are forced to come to conclusions.

Yeah the 2nd hand news and stuff hasn't bothered me until this point - I don't know if I should go back to the store to change my pre-order to LE or what, and there's no official word. For all I know I could pay the extra for the armor, and just be getting an exclusive skin...

It is LE exclusive, so it can't be the default. UNLESS the LE doesn't actually contain exclusive armor but just the skin...
Well, shit. Kind of counterintuitive to have something labeled "recruit" and it not be available to everyone on launch. Meh, whatever; I was planning on the LE anyway.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
Spartan Locus Helmet, now with back up camera so you can see who you're Tea Bagging!

But seriously... Internal display and HUD to supply your viewing pleasure of the outside world. Visors are so last model.

raindoc

That metal piece could be one big LCD screen inside, no other way they would be able to see.

5$ on Neural Interface.

why would i want my head to be a xerox logo?

IMHO it looks like Admiral Ackbar. but it's one of the few new designs that i actually like.

i'd like to see some of the Spartans in H4's campaign/Spartan Ops actually utilize these special designs as described, like "HazOp" when operating around HazMats, "Scanner" for SAR or Recon missions, etc (unlike Reach, in which the CQ guy wears an EVA helmet, for example).

Hey man, creating mutiplayer fiction is hard. Just because they decided to come out and say "lol it's actually fake training, sucks for you if you were imagining these as real battles all these years" doesn't mean they have to elaborate on it and have it make some sense.

i disagree. saying "we're making it canon because until know it didn't make sense" does mean exactly that: now it has to make sense.
but until we've actually played the game i'd say we'll have to wait and see just how much sense it will really make. if it doesn't it's all right with me, but it would contradict the canon approach.

Is it really supposed to be an homage to gears? I never thOught about it that way.

it looks like a Locust, it is called LOCUS... rather obvious imo.

Arnie

That Locus helmet is just a knock off of the Theron Guards from Gears, it even has what amounts to little sharp teeth. Doesn't look like a Spartan at all.

Spartan Locus Helmet, now with back up camera so you can see who you're Tea Bagging!

But seriously... Internal display and HUD to supply your viewing pleasure of the outside world. Visors are so last model.
Internal display for "viewing pleasure". Spartans looking at nsfw things in rheir helmets.

feel

Have we reached the point yet where there is more pre-order armor than there is armor that you can get in the game normally? It's becoming really ridiculous. At least it mostly look like shitty fan-made armor so far but it's still bad practice.

I also find it amusing that Bungie never thought of multiplayer as canon and still settled with mostly normal looking armor while 343 decides to make multiplayer canon for the first time and they create all kinds of wacky stuff. You're telling me that Spartan 4's will wear a helmet with a unicorn horn on it but they won't wear Chief's armor? Give me a break. Also, let's not forget the chest/shoulder piece that had a bunch of tumors on it. Damn, that thing looked hilariously bad.
Hey man, creating mutiplayer fiction is hard. Just because they decided to come out and say "lol it's actually fake training, sucks for you if you were imagining these as real battles all these years" doesn't mean they have to elaborate on it and have it make some sense.

My mind goes to Dani's site
yeah that one certainly spreads the FUD (scots might giggle at this)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
You all know there will be just as many people wearing the scanner helmet as there are people wearing this shit.

3GK59.jpg

love that one, and hey, the new ones look good too, aside from the unicorn. locus especially. opinions man.

Gazzawa

That Locus helmet is just a knock off of the Theron Guards from Gears, it even has what amounts to little sharp teeth. Doesn't look like a Spartan at all.

the reason it has no visor is because your not supposed to be able to see out of it.
its for the unannounced gametype- Blindman's bluff. an iteration of the classic childrens game except the blindman has radar and the other players have radar jammers.

i like my job offers via snailmail Frankie ;)

DesertFox

That's probably the point - kinda like the Hayabusa was a reference to Team Ninja as a homage to having a Spartan in Dead or Alive

edit: beaten

Fuchsdh

Ok question: are the skins exclusive to the armor sets they come with? (ie Web skin cannot be used on anything but the armor it comes with via Amazon preorder?

Woorloog

Banned
Ok question: are the skins exclusive to the armor sets they come with? (ie Web skin cannot be used on anything but the armor it comes with via Amazon preorder?

So it seems. At least logically they're limited to the armors they're shown with.

Actually, i'm not sure what logic there's in that...

When you pre order you get just the skin. Not the armor.

Yup, gotta remember that. Jus the skin, but as Fuch wonders, we don't know for sure if the skins are armor-specific.

It seems like having a skin exclusive to one armor is lame. I want to see the web skin on the scanner armor. Lol

And going off on a tangent, I wonder how thursday war will tie into halo 4

Tawpgun

In Kyle's America, people who draw pictures like this would handed over to the Gulag.
I'd be down. I don't get bronies. I'm not against liking children's TV shows. Im a huge fan of Avatar. Adventure time was pretty fun when I watched it.

I watched two episodes of MLP and aside from the animation I didn't find it that good. Certainly not worthy of that fandom. Seems to me its just wanting to be rebel against the status quo for the sake of rebelling. The look at me I like a little girls show im so confident! attitude.

Whatever. Helmets suck.

Woorloog

Banned
I wonder how thursday war will tie into halo 4

Just like the rest of the Kilo-Five trilogy, introduce characters, the Infinity, Covie factions...
I doubt it will tie directly to Halo 4 like the Forerunner Trilogy seems to be but will create base for Halo 4 and other future Halo games.

EDIT actually, it will tie directly to Halo 4 in a way... i can guess how already. Halo 4 spoilers
Halsey is in Halo 4. So... Also, the UNSC probably got Requiem's location from Onyx

Just like the rest of the Kilo-Five trilogy, introduce characters, the Infinity, Covie factions...
I doubt it will tie directly to Halo 4 like the Forerunner Trilogy seems to be but will create base for Halo 4 and other future Halo games.

Yeah. Seems logical. I just dislike how karen traviss totally changed Mendez and Halsey's personalities.

Fuchsdh

It seems like having a skin exclusive to one armor is lame. I want to see the web skin on the scanner armor. Lol

And going off on a tangent, I wonder how thursday war will tie into halo 4
Yeah I hope we can mix and match. I only went with Amazon because I wanted to run around like Spiderman.

Also, I hope the fleur de lis in Halo 4 so my 3, ODST, and Reach characters match up.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah. Seems logical. I just dislike how karen traviss totally changed Mendez and Halsey's personalities.

And other things. UNSC now has real time FTL coms. What? EDIT actually, not so big deal because Halo's been lax about this before. But still there has been retcons and oddities.
It's Republic Commando all over again, interesting and good characters mixed with the authors opinions and mouth piece characters and very one-sided arguments, while making ridiculous statements and retconning previously established things without good justification.

EDIT i really dislike Halsey the character and her opinions but i still don't like Traviss portayal of her either.

And other things. UNSC now has real time FTL coms. What? EDIT actually, not so big deal because Halo's been lax about this before. But still there has been retcons and oddities.
It's Republic Commando all over again, interesting and good characters mixed with the authors opinions and mouth piece characters and very one-sided arguments, while making ridiculous statements and retconning previously established things without good justification.
I dont understand why they didn't just let Eric Nylund write the kilo-five trilogy. I mean he wrote the progenitor to the damn trilogy anyway.

Woorloog

Banned
I dont inderstand why they disnt just let Eric Nylund write the kilo-five trilogy. I mean he wrote the progenitor to the damn trilogy anyway.

Don't know, don't care. I never liked Nylund's writing style or the things he wrote. Space time crystals, really?
Also, super nuclear-bombs, nukes igniting a gas giant? That's Star Wars stuff there, not something i think fit Halo (despite Halos themselves being superweapons, at least they're ancient alien weapons, not relatively low-tech human super weapons).

Top Bottom