• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

neoism

The vignettes they've been releasing (one per week for a few weeks now) are NOT part of the main video - they're extras, to introduce you to the characters.

You quit the witnesses... or you quit masturbating?

who quits the latter... :p I'm an atheist.

Here's another great thing about having 2 cats and Astros.

Custom speakertags. Had to put my lovelies onto my set.

10/10

I've really been considering buying an expensive headset but I'm not really working right now which is what's making it so difficult to spend that much money (I have approx. $1800 saved up). I almost forgot too, after the tourney we basically became either bros or archrivals because of our cat avatars. :lol

maybe the PV knights could teleport right through an object you are hiding behind. that would show the player that the knight can see where you are and use it to it's advantage. i'm just imagining a scenario where the players shields are down, they hide behind some cover, and then a knight just phases through the cover and stabs them.

I could be wrong, but I got the impression that the "directional cue" that comes with the teleport implied that it could really only work as a way to cover distance, not flat-out phase through stuff. We'll see though, maybe the whole "telefrag melee" we've seen one of the Knights use could go through solid surfaces.

maybe the PV knights could teleport right through an object you are hiding behind. that would show the player that the knight can see where you are and use it to it's advantage. i'm just imagining a scenario where the players shields are down, they hide behind some cover, and then a knight just phases through the cover and stabs them.

I could be wrong, but I got the impression that the "directional cue" that comes with the teleport implied that it could really only work as a way to cover distance, not flat-out phase through stuff. We'll see though, maybe the whole "telefrag melee" we've seen one of the Knights use could go through solid surfaces.

could be something that only knights with promethean vision can do. you could see the big pv wave on the radar and that would tell you that hiding behind cover might not be safe.

Making it trigger the Motion tracker is one thing, but running an emulation of Promethean vision and getting the AI to respond would be more complex (in terms of running time). It would be almost impossible to tell which way they do it from a user's perspective.

The "cheat" approach would be to get your location vector, subtract master chief's location vector, and react according to the relative known location of the Chief.
The longer approach would be to run some AI-PV function that returns a a vector for each enemy.

Come to think of it, it probably wouldn't really matter which way they did it.

Edit; just realised I shouldn't forum go after graphics programming...
Haha I totally get what you're saying as the "Cheat", but I wasn't directing PV for knights to use them just to see you. More like Visual and Audio Indicators when facing a knight.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
As stunning as this looks...

tumblr_m9wsigr1fK1qgb5g5o1_500.gif
DID YOU REALLY POST A MOTHERFUCKING TUMBLR GIF? WITH SATURATION?

iszAYVrvVLh3F.gif

iYb4wOyynFVFT.gif

So, let me get this straight.

We have small, agile enemies--Crawlers--with quadruped frames (something unique to Halo so far) that keeps them even closer to the ground and out of our range. Taking elements from each of the light infantry we've faced so far, they can climb any and all walls, leap to heights bordering that of what Skirmishers could achieve, don't run away except in scripted instances, have very fast projectiles and they have no reason to stop firing, and they're usually fought in packs, not to mention upgraded variants which use even more powerful automatic weapons.

These, in turn, can be spawned by a Watcher in what appears to be groups of three at a time. Equally small in frame (if not smaller), they bob and weave similar to Drones, can reflect grenades, seem to have a fairly high level of health, can revive Knights, and project shields for them. This bears repeating: they can not only spawn new enemies into the fight, but also bring incredibly challenging enemies back to life as if it never happened.

Watchers are pooped out by Knights, who are by far taller and wider than Elites, but use every foot to their advantage, being battering rams, teleporting out of firefights, insta-strafing into your face to melee you, having jumps just as high as Crawlers, with a variety of weapons including a shotgun and the most powerful explosive, automatic, close-range and long-range weapons in the game, most of which are one-hit kills. They can use Promethean Vision to pick you out, and may very well be able to teleport through solid walls to get to your location. And these are common enemies whom you may encounter in groups.

Halo 4's campaign is going to be a bitch.

TCKaos

We have small, agile enemies--Crawlers--with quadruped frames (something unique to Halo so far) that keeps them even closer to the ground and out of our range. Taking elements from each of the light infantry we've faced so far, they can climb any and all walls, leap to heights bordering that of what Skirmishers could achieve, don't run away except in scripted instances, have very fast projectiles and they have no reason to stop firing, and they're usually fought in packs, not to mention upgraded variants which use even more powerful automatic weapons.

These, in turn, can be spawned by a Watcher in what appears to be groups of three at a time. Equally small in frame (if not smaller), they bob and weave similar to Drones, can reflect grenades, seem to have a fairly high level of health, can revive Knights, and project shields for them. This bears repeating: they can not only spawn new enemies into the fight, but also bring incredibly challenging enemies back to life as if it never happened.

Watchers are pooped out by Knights, who are by far taller and wider than Elites, but use every foot to their advantage, being battering rams, teleporting out of firefights, insta-strafing into your face to melee you, having jumps just as high as Crawlers, with a variety of weapons including a shotgun and the most powerful explosive, automatic, close-range and long-range weapons in the game, most of which are one-hit kills. They can use Promethean Vision to pick you out, and may very well be able to teleport through solid walls to get to your location. And these are common enemies whom you may encounter in groups.

Yeah, but finish it on Legendary and you unlock Mark VI.

Crucio

I for one welcome the challenge. Even though some moments will be rage inducing it brings me back to Halo 2. The campaign in which I had the most fun.

GhaleonEB

I like that we're talking about a group of enemies that work tightly together, and have behaviors that are totally unique to any enemy we've seen in Halo so far. Their groupings (leader, fodder, support) are familiar, but if done right they're require very different strategy to take down. Really looking forward to them, so long as they're not cheap.

My plan is to take out Watcher first. Use Noob combo on Knight. If a Knight isn't assisted by a watcher then take it out before letting it spawn one.

That insta-strafe is a bitch. Hard to predict how far exactly they can go horizontally and it does that as a Rogue reaction when shields brake, but some may act according to when another knight is down, kinda like Brutes but much more faster.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The most frustrating experiences I ever had in Halo campaigns were largely vehicular sections where you're stuck driving an AI around who pulses the turret.

GhaleonEB

The most frustrating experiences I ever had in Halo campaigns were largely vehicular sections where you're stuck driving an AI around who pulses the turret.

Yeah. The highway section on ONI, and everywhere in Reach. On that subject, I'll add AI on the turret who only fire on enemies at close range.

In reach I just use Warthogs as portable turrets, I never drive AI around.

I like that we're talking about a group of enemies that work tightly together, and have behaviors that are totally unique to any enemy we've seen in Halo so far. Their groupings (leader, fodder, support) are familiar, but if done right they're require very different strategy to take down. Really looking forward to them, so long as they're not cheap.
So much depends on AI, but yeah, the interactions sound so promising. And I'm glad they seem to have kept the breadth of enemies down (assuming there aren't some surprises in store) in favour of depth.

My plan is to take out Watcher first. Use Noob combo on Knight. If a Knight isn't assisted by a watcher then take it out before letting it spawn one.

That insta-strafe is a bitch. Hard to predict how far exactly they can go horizontally and it does that as a Rogue reaction when shields brake, but some may act according to when another knight is down, kinda like Brutes but much more faster.

Do we know if we can even oneshot Knights with headshots though? I'd assume so, but haven't seen that so far. Also, how often do you think the Plasma Pistol is going to be available in Promethean missions?

willow ve

I really hope that every enemy has their specific weakness. It doesn't have to be as crazy as the one shot pistol hunters in CE, but the campaign is going to be super frustrating if it's filled with encounters like sniper alley or the moments in firefight Reach where 20 elites spawn with snipers, rockets, and grenade launchers. ..

Do we know if we can even oneshot Knights with headshots though? I'd assume so, but haven't seen that so far. Also, how often do you think the Plasma Pistol is going to be available in Promethean missions?
Binary Rifle and Unsc Sniper can 1sk but that depends what difficulty and enemy variant you're facing against. I don't expect PP to be as available in previous games and can be scarce within Promethean missions. If you're lucky, Pulse nades can be a temporary replacement but very limited.

Overdoziz

Banned
What if Knights have shields that are very good at stopping plasma bolts and are easier to take down with bullets and once their shields are down you EMP them to shut them down because they are robots! Reverse noob-combo anyone?
Game of the forever.

Binary Rifle and Unsc Sniper can 1sk but that depends what difficulty and enemy variant you're facing against. I don't expect PP to be as available in previous games and can be scarce within Promethean missions. If you're lucky, Pulse nades can be a temporary replacement but very limited.

I was talking about the DMR, BR, Light Rifle, Carbine, etc. Be very weird not to be able to rely on those throughout the campaign from start to finish.

Woorloog

Banned
What if Knights have shields that are very good at stopping plasma bolts and are easier to take down with bullets and once their shields are down you EMP them to shut them down because they are robots! Reverse noob-combo anyone?
Game of the forever.

Then throw into mix some who require... oh wait, the Elites are still in.
Ok, then all we need is having to fight both the Elites and Prom Knights at once.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Kiki and Bonnie got busted hiding behind a wall in co-op yesterday. Crawlers are not stupid.

u4iX

Wait, this might already be known and I just missed it, but will the Master Chief get Armor Abilities in Halo 4?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Yeah, you're right. That's kinda weird though, don't you think?

I'll be curious to see how that ties in or how it comes about through the story.
Chief has all the abilities. You select them in a drop down menu. :O

Or Cortana gives them to you in scripted sequences.

First of all calm the fuck down because it's not that serious. Who gives a fuck?

Second all I did was copy and paste the gif from the link in a post several spots up from my post. Are you serious right now?

Also I don't find that "I'll kill you" youtube link as appropriate at all even if all of this is done in jest.
he was kidding around bro

relax

First of all calm the fuck down because it's not that serious. Who gives a fuck?

Second all I did was copy and paste the gif from the link in a post several spots up from my post. Are you serious right now?

Also I don't find that "I'll kill you" youtube link as appropriate at all even if all of this is done in jest.

WHOA THERE, Plywood.

Portugeezer

Gold Member

You must be new here.

Karl2177

lol nice quote

Portugeezer

Gold Member
The PV in Pax build when activated by an enemy user showed within your motion tracker. I guess its safe to assume when Knights use it within Campaign/SpOps it will show up on your MT and if you're using PV plus a knight using PV, ping sounds notify.

Awesome, so does this mean PV users can't "crouch" and PV camp? This was my biggest worry about PV.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

tumblr_lyzkvplpfw1r2s4ero7_250.gif

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Why do I have a feeling Cortana is going to be so fucking annoying in this game with her whining and crying? I'm expecting the Skyler of Halo.

It can't be any worse that the Gravemind in Halo 3 - even though fucking up your camera perspective AND talking away control from you AND being unskippable, didn't overall hurt the game too much.

Please tell me there are none of those unskippable story distractions like gravemind/cortana were in Halo 3. They didn't nothing good for the replay value

*remembers the game has those first-person cutscene things throwing elites down elevators and shit*

"oh"

It can't be any worse that the Gravemind in Halo 3 - even though fucking up your camera perspective AND talking away control from you AND being unskippable, didn't overall hurt the game too much.

Plus it made you invincible and didn't really affect your speed save for fucking with your camera. Speedruns were awesome with it because you could basically Gravity Hammer launch yourself into places full of enemies, not take any damage despite the flood forms all firing on you at once, and blast yourself into the next encounter without a scratch before the whole thing was over.

With one or two specializations modifications this would make a wonderful avatar for someone. Juniors, take note.

Top Bottom