• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

ne6UB.png
thats pretty good tbh

Akai__

Appareantly, you will be able to buy games directly on the PS3, on release date. Makes me wonder, if this will be a feature on the Xbox 360 soon, too and if this feature will be the "future".

I for one, like to have an actual disc of the game.

Woorloog

Banned
Because hearing them speak English is lame.

I prefer them speaking English. Halo Reach "alien language" they sprout is lame, it doesn't sound interesting or cool like Halo CE's does. Or scary.
I don't think it can be re-created, because a large part of that was the novelty of the game.
Besides, the Chief's software was advanced enough to translate the stuff in Halo 3, why not in Halo 4?

EDIT wait, what language do the Covies use in Halo 4 actually, English or alien?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wow Wahrer, that's really impressive! I can't believe you made that! It looks like it could have easily come from a screen shot!

Edit : The only thing keeping me from buying digital is the fact that I can resell physical copies. Significant discounts for digital copies (20% at least) are the only thing that would convince me to make the switch.

I know people advise against going in alone, but I just really hope that the ranking system that may or may not be visible in Halo 4 does a better job.
I'll add to this: sometimes you want to play Halo and can't get a team together and in those cases going in as a singleton shouldn't be a punishment. In addition to an improvement in skill-matching I'm hoping Halo 4 also brings to the table gameplay that allows the individual player to have more success lone-wolfing it than Reach did.

People playing as a team should always have the advantage, but bloom especially tipped the scales too far in favor of the team.

Lastly, and it looks like Regicide helps to do this, but please make the 1v1v1v1vEtc. playlist fun AND skillful/competitive.

TheOddOne

Appareantly, you will be able to buy games directly on the PS3, on release date. Makes me wonder, if this will be a feature on the Xbox 360 soon, too and if this feature will be the "future".

Take these aspect in consideration: a) You have to have PSN+, b) You have to pre-order it, c) Download speeds on PSN are up and down (sometimes great, sometimes really bad) and d) the different PSN regions problems (i.e. CS:GO is still not out on EU PSN).

To shave off a couple of bucks seems to be too much of hassle to be honest. You will always find retailers that do deep discounts, i.e. Mediamarkt in The Netherlands usually prices new games the first week around 45-50 euros.

It is a neat feature though and is a step in the right direction, MS should step up their game in that regard. I don't think they will add any substantial features like this, seeing as they are pulling all their resources to their next console.

Edit:
Only point b) sounds logical. The fact, that PSN is not very reliable doesn't make this thing any better.

And yeah, retailers won't just disappear, because games are mostly cheaper (compare it to Games on Demand, on Xbox 360) and like I said, people want to have the disc, to collect those things.
I disagree that you should pre-order it to get the discount, seeing as you are already paying for PSN+ that discount should be free regardless if you pre-order or not. If the system was in place for regular non-paying customers, then I would not have a problem with the pre-order caveat.

Akai__

sony finally catching up to nintendo

And Microsoft is waiting for either success or failure to make their move?

Edit:

Take these aspect in consideration: a) You have to have PSN+, b) You have to pre-order it, c) Download speeds on PSN are up and down (sometimes great, sometimes really bad) and d) the different PSN regions problems (i.e. CS:GO is still not out on EU PSN).

To shave off a couple of bucks seems to be too much of hassle to be honest. You will always find retailers that do deep discounts, i.e. Mediamarkt in The Netherlands usually prices new games the first week around 45-50 euros.

Only point b) sounds logical. The fact, that PSN is not very reliable doesn't make this thing any better.

And yeah, retailers won't just disappear, because games are mostly cheaper (compare it to Games on Demand, on Xbox 360) and like I said, people want to have the disc, to collect those things.

FyreWulff

I know people advise against going in alone, but I just really hope that the ranking system that may or may not be visible in Halo 4 does a better job.

http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/Career/H...ag=u4iX#/?game=1136275641&section=Competitive

Only really feasible to be super accurate in matching lone wolf players if they make a playlist that only single players can enter but are put on teams. Skillmatching becomes more of a guessing game when you let teams go in together, especially when they have a skill spread.

And Microsoft is waiting for either success or failure to make their move?

Microsoft has the system to do it already, they just don't want to piss off their retail partners. Hence them charging 50$ for Reach when you can get the disc for 25$ new.

I liked getting games back when you got an awesome colored game book with it. Super Nintendo days.

Now...Couldn't care less.

Although the digital price should reflect the fact that bandwidth is much cheaper than packaging and shipping a product. Thought it probably wont cause the gaming industry is a bunch of bullshit.

Omni

I had a few minute to spare. So I made something in paint.

91172295.png

I call it, "Randomrosso's_first_person_Elite_creation_and_not_a_Halo_2_Vista_screenshot_with_a_photoshop_filter.png"

mspainthalo3.jpg

It's hard to believe that five years have passed since Halo 3's release. We may have finished that fight, but it seems an entirely new fight is on the horizon. As we patiently await the release of Halo 4, let's celebrate Halo 3's anniversary with a quick art challenge!

The Contest:
Use MS Paint to draw your favorite campaign moment from Halo 3. You can depict a scene from gameplay or from a cutscene, it's up to you. Don't worry if you're not super artistic - if I wanted a masterpiece I wouldn't restrict this contest to MS Paint!

A celebrity judge will select one entry as "Judge's Choice". There are no official selection criteria - the judge will simply pick a favorite based on personal preference. (So it might be the funniest entry, the most impressive entry, a favorite scene, etc.) All identifying info will be removed from the entries before the judging takes place to ensure an impartial decision.

A random lottery of all the remaining entries will be done for a smaller prize.

The Prize:

thursday.jpg

Judge's Choice (One Winner) - Halo: The Thursday War paperback book. (Or any Halo book from Amazon that is less than $12 before shipping.)
Random Pick (Three Winners) - One ONI patch (Example) and one custom-made button (Example).

Rules:
- Anyone can enter - you don't have to be a member of HaloGAF. Lurkers welcome.
- Original artwork only, please! Don't use a screenshot or someone else's art.
- If you don't have MS Paint, feel free to use a similar drawing program to create your entry. Just please do NOT use something fancy like Photoshop - keep to the spirit of crappy MS Paint drawings!
- There is no minimum size requirement, but please do not submit anything larger than 1920x1080.
- You are limited to ONE official entry per person, but you are free to send another image before the deadline if you want to replace a previous entry or just contribute more art.
- When the time comes for the selection of the Judge's Choice, I will first remove all identifying info from the entries to ensure an impartial decision is made.
- There is no set criteria for the judge's selection; the winner may be chosen based on humor, artistic merit, plot moment depicted, etc. This is left to the judge's discretion.
- INTERNATIONAL ENTRANTS: This contest is NOT restricted to US-only, but if you win a prize and live outside the US please understand the extra difficulty in prize shipping. We'll work something out, just know that I'd rather not spend $25 to ship a $10 book.

Deadline:
- Entries must be received by 5:00pm EDT on Monday, October 1st.
- Contest winners will be announced no later than the following Friday.

How to enter:
- Email your entries to ncsuDuncan@gmail.com.
- Be sure to attach the image file.
- Please include "HaloGAF Contest" in the email subject line.
- Put a forum username and the title for your drawing (or a brief description) in the body of the email so I know what I'm looking at.

- To keep the judging impartial, please DO NOT post your entry online before the winners are announced. I'll create a gallery of all the entries and host it on HaloGAF.com once the contest is over.

Good luck!

(For future reference, this info can be found at HaloGAF.com. Feel free to invite others to participate.)

Man I will use MS paint after 5 years.

mhi

So with all these new fancy assassination animations, does Halo 4 have a clearer solution to disable them ?

In Reach, I guess you are supposed to hold the button down a little longer but often rather than not, it doesnt take and you are stuck in a lame situation with the enemy firing at you. I would say 85% of the time I perform an ass. animation, it results in me getting killed during the animation.

I would like an option in the player setting to completely disable the animations (like the crouch toggle option) so when I hit RB the player is simply killed and I can move on.

If not I would like the timing for the button so be more fine tuned so when I press and HOLD the RB button for 2+ sec I get the animation and when I simply tap it it should result in just a quick death.

So with all these new fancy assassination animations, does Halo 4 have a clearer solution to disable them ?

In Reach, I guess you are supposed to hold the button down a little longer but often rather than not, it doesnt take and you are stuck in a lame situation with the enemy firing at you. I would say 85% of the time I perform an ass. animation, it results in me getting killed during the animation.

I would like an option in the player setting to completely disable the animations (like the crouch toggle option) so when I hit RB the player is simply killed and I can move on.

If not I would like the timing for the button so be more fine tuned so when I press and HOLD the RB button for 2+ sec I get the animation and when I simply tap it it should result in just a quick death.

lol options. its nice to have dreams.

Vire

Interesting factoid:

Halo 4 takes place four years, seven months and ten days after Halo 3.

Kinda cool how we are hitting the 5th year anniversary of H3 which is almost inline with the actual timeline of the fiction. Would have been super cool if it was the exact amount of days since Halo 3. :p

Fuchsdh

Interesting factoid:

Halo 4 takes place four years, seven months and ten days after Halo 3.

Kinda cool how we are hitting the 5th year anniversary of H3 which is almost inline with the actual timeline of the fiction. Would have been super cool if it was the exact amount of days since Halo 3. :p

You are forgetting Halo 3 spans November 2552 to March 2553.

Fotos

Easily. All we need is interesting news. Tomorrow's Bulletin will give a boost to posting rate, the Sparkcast will give another one.
I wouldn't bet for OT11 before Halo 4 though.

I think we will get to OT11. My guess is that we will get a lot of info within the last two weeks before Halo 4.

Assassinations could be be mapped to a dedicated button, say d-pad down. That would prevent unintended activation (with the downside of making it much more difficult to assassinate).

The problem is that under the current settings, there's a very small window in which to inform the game whether you are tapping or holding, and it IS affected by the network conditions. Playing with that window can easily break the way it works.

BigShow36

Halo 4 only has options for necessary things. Nobody want's to unclutter the ridiculus UI or improve the actual gameplay, instead you'll have the option to increase jump height by 200% or 250%, make your spartan immune to damage except to the head, and have a flaming trail wherever he moves.

Nah, but if you really want em just buy ODST used for cheap... the second disc is all of Halos 3 MP maps. And as a bonus you get the ODST SP which is amazing.

I have ODST, I don't know how I didn't know that. Probably because I didn't play much multi around the time ODST came out. I just played through the campaign for ODST and put it away forever.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think we will get to OT11. My guess is that we will get a lot of info within the last two weeks before Halo 4.
Yup. And then it'll be Halo 4 |OT|.

After Halo 4 hype dies down and new Halo games get announced, will the Halo OTs pick up where they left off? So, if the last one before Halo 4 is OT11, will we pick up again with OT12?

Overdoziz

Banned
Halo 4 only has options for necessary things; You'll have the option to increase jump height by 200% or 250%, make your spartan immune to damage except to the head, and have a flaming trail wherever he moves.
Halo really needs more sliders instead of preset values for settings.
Would make life so much easier.

Edit: Doesn't really have much to do with your post but the big and inconsistent jumps between preset values for certain settings annoy me.

Fuchsdh

Yup. And then it'll be Halo 4 |OT|.

After Halo 4 hype dies down and new Halo games get announced, will the Halo OTs pick up where they left off? So, if the last one before Halo 4 is OT11, will we pick up again with OT12?

Why not just keep the centralized Halo OT? I like big numbers :)

I'm guessing we will hit #11 before Halo 4 given that we've got Thursday War and FUD in addition to the usual incoming.

Juices-quality post.

What is the game supposed to do for those 2+ seconds? I know you're not a designer, so it's not your responsibility to ground suggestions in reality or logic. Excuse me, I need to run some errands in my flying car.

Assassinations could be be mapped to a dedicated button, say d-pad down. That would prevent unintended activation (with the downside of making it much more difficult to assassinate).

Of course you could just blow it out of proportion and not understand the fact that people often got caught in assassinations when they didnt actually hold down the button, this happened a lot when you got the assassination from way too far away or on different terrain heights, or if a game was laggy it misunderstood how long you held the button down for. An easy fix is to make it take longer for you to hold it down.

But of course you wouldn't understand any of that. Nor are you a programmer. What you are is some random nerd who has read the trueskill pages on Microsoft.com and over half your posts are defending its implementation even though it more than often produces terrible results in Reach. So before you go ripping on others post quality take a look in the mirror.

I wish this helmet would return in Halo 4, I loved it:

I'm guessing we will hit #11 before Halo 4 given that we've got Thursday War and FUD in addition to the usual incoming.

I think the Halo 4 OTs will replace the Halo OTs for a while, and then after the launch window it would go back to Halo OTs. Not too sure though, but it makes no sense to separate it between two threads, as most people would use em to talk Halo 4 anyways. Im sure book talk is fine in the Halo 4 threads as long as it is spoiler tagged appropriately. As for why have a Halo 4 OT? Its going to be made one way or another, so it makes sense to have to have it be the logical progression from these threads.. I expect a few new regulars by the time Halo 4 rolls around also, it seems to be getting some really positive press all around.

orznge

Banned
Halo 4 only has options for necessary things. Nobody want's to unclutter the ridiculus UI or improve the actual gameplay, instead you'll have the option to increase jump height by 200% or 250%, make your spartan immune to damage except to the head, and have a flaming trail wherever he moves.

Of course you could just blow it out of proportion and not understand the fact that people often got caught in assassinations when they didnt actually hold down the button, this happened a lot when you got the assassination from way too far away or on different terrain heights, or if a game was laggy it misunderstood how long you held the button down for. An easy fix is to make it take longer for you to hold it down.

But of course you wouldn't understand any of that. Nor are you a programmer. What you are is some random nerd who has read the trueskill pages on Microsoft.com and over half your posts are defending its implementation even though it more than often produces terrible results in Reach. So before you go ripping on others post quality take a look in the mirror.
You have a long history of making requests or criticisms that just aren't feasible and/or don't make any sense and show a complete ignorance of basic functionality. I don't want to say you are stupid, but you could put more thought into your posts instead of just rattling of nonsense because you feel it.

And I am a programmer.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

I think the Halo 4 OTs will replace the Halo OTs for a while, and then after the launch window it would go back to Halo OTs. Not too sure though, but it makes no sense to separate it between two threads, as most people would use em to talk Halo 4 anyways.
Yeah, I think the way that GAF is handling it now is that the Halo OT will be closed or suspended indefinitely right before Halo 4 comes out. Then, a month after release, the Halo 4 OT (or OT3 by that point probably, haha) will be moved to the community forum, and will continue to be the home of HaloGAF until new games get announced, at which point our discussion will likely shift from being almost exclusively about Halo 4 to also being about Halo Wars 2 / Halo 2 Anniversary / Halo ODST 2: Bringing Saxy Back / or whatever.

I think that's the way it's working these days.

Woorloog

Banned
I wish this helmet would return in Halo 4, I loved it:
Its successor is in the game, under the name Rogue.
But it isn't Mjolnir Mark VI [A].
Considering how many small visored helmets the game has, i'd imagine you'll find at least one that is like Rogue, or close enough. Or something you like.

How many helmets did Halo 4 have, 38?
How many does Reach have (not counting the attachements)?

mhi

Playing with that window can easily break the way it works.

WHich is why I suggested the ability to toggle the feature as an option. Point is I want clearer separation between the two actions.

xxxJuicesxxx said:
Of course you could just blow it out of proportion and not understand the fact that people often got caught in assassinations when they didnt actually hold down the button.

Bears repeating that this happens more often than not.

Top Bottom