• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

WHich is why I suggested the ability to toggle the feature as an option. Point is I want clearer separation between the two actions.

Bears repeating that this happens more often than not.

Didnt you hear Noobs? Its just not feasible. It can't be done he is a programmer he noes this stuff.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
markey_mark_wtf.gif

Didnt you hear Noobs? Its just not feasible. It can't be done he is a programmer he noes this stuff.
You don't have to be a programmer to know that the game performs the melee action whether you release the button or not. The window in which it makes the determination is dependent on the delay between melee button depression and melee action, which itself was determined and balanced against a host of other variables. FFS WHERE'S MA FLYIN CAR

I wasn't defending Arena in my post though. Its pretty shitty to say something like "oh well since I never went back and was misinformed it just goes to show you that it was shit. FACT". That is simply bullshit.

'In politics, perception is reality'. Same for Halo ranking systems.

Yup. Big team SWAT.
Boneyard... unless people enjoy being Red Team and being spawned at the cap point on wide open scaffolding while Blue gets their own private Dongship and Blainstation to spawn inside of.

These posts sparked horrific flashbacks to one of my first games in Reach multiplayer. I headed for BTB (it being one of my favourite lists in Halo 3 and being omitted in favour of the terrible-even-then Invasion in the beta) and early on got SWAT on Boneyard. I was on red team.

After being spawn killed for the forth time in a row on the scaffold stairs I remember thinking that something was terribly, terribly wrong and Bungie must be off their usual high standards in regards to testing Reach properly (there was bad in Halo 3 MM but I don't recall downright broken). I mean this was a launch gametype for their latest AAA game. Did they even test it? As time went by many, many atrocious elements of MM were uncovered (Zealot space section, rampant Banshee abuse, SWAT and Snipers on Pinnacle to name a few) and Bungie were playing catch up with themselves, erasing or modifying the offending exploits months later, when they really ought to have caught all of that muck in the developmental testing. Much of Reach's MM launch set-up was laughable and almost looks like self-sabotage in retrospect. It certainly did the game no favours in terms of retaining the 'flavour of the week' players who buy the latest game.

I can't stop laughing at this. Nice reply.

Best Gif since monkeyslalomingonapushbike

A thought on control schemes:

Good post Bobs, I actually proposed the exact same control scheme in the post Reach beta feedback thread and in this forum when Halo 4 was in development. It appears to have fallen on deaf ears. Every other control scheme in Halo 4 has AA on a bumper so 343 acknowledges how necessary it is; I suppose the thought that the Bumper Jumper designed for a five year old Halo that didn't even feature AA's was 'good enough' for Halo 4.

Oozer3993

So with all these new fancy assassination animations, does Halo 4 have a clearer solution to disable them ?

In Reach, I guess you are supposed to hold the button down a little longer but often rather than not, it doesnt take and you are stuck in a lame situation with the enemy firing at you. I would say 85% of the time I perform an ass. animation, it results in me getting killed during the animation.

I would like an option in the player setting to completely disable the animations (like the crouch toggle option) so when I hit RB the player is simply killed and I can move on.

If not I would like the timing for the button so be more fine tuned so when I press and HOLD the RB button for 2+ sec I get the animation and when I simply tap it it should result in just a quick death.

I think the problem with Assassinations in Reach, and I could be very very wrong about this but it fits with my experience at least, is that the game might be having the host determine whether you've held the button down long enough. So transmission problems between you and the host could make it seem as if you held down the melee button longer than you actually did, causing an Assassination. If this is the problem (and this is a huge if), then it's possible Halo 4 has corrected it.

feel

Classic backsmack >>>>>>> awkward third person animation.

They really need to let me disable assassinations for myself if they can still be pulled off by mistake.

Computron

Of course you could just blow it out of proportion and not understand the fact that people often got caught in assassinations when they didnt actually hold down the button, this happened a lot when you got the assassination from way too far away or on different terrain heights, or if a game was laggy it misunderstood how long you held the button down for. An easy fix is to make it take longer for you to hold it down.

But of course you wouldn't understand any of that. Nor are you a programmer. What you are is some random nerd who has read the trueskill pages on Microsoft.com and over half your posts are defending its implementation even though it more than often produces terrible results in Reach. So before you go ripping on others post quality take a look in the mirror.

Somehow a lot of these issues you run into seem to pass me by entirely.
"People often getting caught in assassinations" is as ambiguous and anecdotal as you can get with evidence,
and the other stuff about various terrain heights and lag make it seem as though you are conflating a very specific network error that they fixed in the Beta.
Hell, they even had a presentation which included like 20 slides and multiple videos of that specific problem and how they fixed it.
If you weren't so oddly specific on this one, perhaps I would think otherwise.
Either way, I have never had this specific problem, and I think it's far more likely that people are holding the button a bit longer than they think.
Under severe lag? maybe? But then all bets are off anyway. 2+ seconds is ridiculous though.
That being said, more options would be great. I hope they do add them. I don't think anyone here disagrees on that.

So how is that Halo 2 Vista Server coming along?

Akai__

I think the problem with Assassinations in Reach, and I could be very very wrong about this but it fits with my experience at least, is that the game might be having the host determine whether you've held the button down long enough. So transmission problems between you and the host could make it seem as if you held down the melee button longer than you actually did, causing an Assassination. If this is the problem (and this is a huge if), then it's possible Halo 4 has corrected it.

Yeah, even if you pressed the button or bumper for 0.01 seconds it could cause a assassination, because of the delay between players. Mostly it ends up with those very very fast and buggy assassinations, which are faster, then a backsmack and you still get the medal.

My problem (and many other may have this problem, too) with Halo 4 is, that we didn't saw, how Halo 4 performs over Xbox Live. All those LAN games looked very good, but we know, how bad Xbox Live can be sometimes.

I'm making the assumption, that those network tests, weren't tested under extreme conditions. You can correct me, if I'm wrong, but I don't believe, that they let people participate, who have a wooden router, in those network tests.

So how is that Halo 2 Vista Server coming along?

Why do you keep asking this?

I'm mostly at work my entire life. I'll get to it if I get to it. Are you implying that I wouldnt make a good playlist? Thats fair I guess. I've posted my shit back in H3 when I cared and the majority of people loved the idea...If you are just wondering though I dunno, I'm pretty busy lately. Ill try.

Im personally just waiting for the aim assist update, I know people are still playing it though.

Yeah I'll be picking it up again when the update hits, which sounds great. Borderlands is taking up all my gaming time currently though.

Control scheme talk: I'm disappointed there isn't a scheme with sprint and AA on the shoulder buttons. It would be my scheme of choice without question.

Akai__

I wish this helmet would return in Halo 4, I loved it:
Isn't there a Rogue Halo 4 helmet? I think there was one, but it looked really bad. I wish more Halo 3 helmets, would make it's return. They looked pretty good.

Edit: Yeah there is one Rogue helmet in Halo 4 and I was mistaken. It looks okay, but not even close to the Halo 3 version :)

Edit 2: vvvvvvvvvvvv

mhi

Somehow a lot of these issues you run into seem to pass me by entirely.
Nah man we aren't making this up.
I think it's far more likely that people are holding the button a bit longer than they think.
That's what I though at first, but then I started consiously tapping it faster and faster and noticed no difference.

Fracas

#fuckonami
One man's salty tears are another man's slrp.

My favorite thing about Halo 4 is I don't have to spawn with it anymore! Even though I don't like the idea of customizable armor abilities and the tactical/support upgrades, I welcome choosing my starting weapon.

I don't think even the slurpiest slurper on here approves of AR starts.
I think the AR needs to be in the game, but yeah, I do not want to start with one lol

Top Bottom