• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Overdoziz

Banned
Enemy wins opening rush, claims laser, wins vehicle supremacy.

You manage to fight your way back onto the hill for control and all you get is a rail gun or (non homing) rocket to try and kill their banshee/scorpion/hog.

LOLBALANCE
I'm fine with the new system, at least you won't see teams camping power weapon spawns all the time anymore. If I had a penny for every time that people were just standing still on top of the middle hill on Valhalla waiting for the Laser to spawn... Ruined a fair amount of matches for me in previous Halos.

senador

Banned
Why is this Disc 2 stuff such a big deal? Does it really change anything? Its just gonna split up the content because there's so much. Big deal.

Sai-kun

Banned
To be honest the post was intended to be rude. I am sorry if I insulted you.
But 99,99% of my posts are rude on accident. I always feel sorry when I re-read the post and notice that I sound like a douchebag. I am not an arse in real life and don't try to be one in the internet. I think people who met me know it.

complete lies

hyper is a hyper jackass in real life

<3 hyper

Woorloog

Banned
One of my roommates is furious that there won't be a Forge World in Halo 4. How can I explain to him that beyond himself, the majority of other people had huge lag issues?

How about you tell that roommate the game has 3 smaller Forge Worlds?

The lag issue in Forge World had nothing to do with the (base) map's size.

CyReN

One of my roommates is furious that there won't be a Forge World in Halo 4. How can I explain to him that beyond himself, the majority of other people had huge lag issues?

There was lag in Halo 3 forge, I take it with the improvements to engine and areas being small that Halo 4 forge will have minimal lag compared to its predecessors, plus color.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm not even going to go into all the ways that this is simply false. There are rules. people break them. There are consequences. Period. Not once has someone gotten banned because "we didn't agree with their opinion." That is the great cry of the Uninformed. Unless of course, you consider banning someone for posting topics like "343 sucks azzz!!@" "disagreement". It's a first-party forum, dude. There are obviously certain boundaries that will be different than a forum like GAF or even HBO.

Not taking sides AT ALL in this debate, but I will agree with you on principle. (I don't know the case here between you two, and shouldn't).

I mod for THQ (Saints Row, Homefront, Metro, WWE) and have for Xbox and get people on occasion that will complain that I locked something or banned someone for not agreeing, or because they were posting negatively about the game. It drives me insane.

I don't come into a moderating job with a slight against everyone on those boards. I don't care if you hate the game, I just care if you express that in such a way that promotes good discussion and feedback. I hate/dislike games too, but I'm not going to be a jackass when I post about them. I'm going to give feedback that may help the devs fix things so that I don't hate the next one.

People just seem to not like rules, and when they break them they will use any excuse (see: abusing power) to "get back" at you for punishing them.

/endrant of the day.
/nottakingsides

Ramirez

Disagree.

Name them? You're always at the mercy of your randoms, and any good competitive FPS is going to rely heavily on team work, which you never find in a game full of randoms.

As for why Valhalla can work in Halo 4.

-The DMR does have supreme range, but all I see is people saying "gonna get pounded from the hill!", well you can fire back at the same distance with your DMR, and now you don't get knocked out of scope.
-The ordnance system will force players to move around the map, as Over said, no more waiting on the laser to spawn at the top hill every time. I think the ordnance system will benefit BTB more than any of the other playlists.
-People are too quick to blame the DMR for all of Reach's BTB problems. It certainly didn't help, but the maps, more than anything ruined BTB. Blood Gulch is an open field, Boneyard had huge stretches of open field, and Spire was an uphill battle in Invasion, and never had any business being in BTB. Headlong/Ridgeline were not as prone to the DMR wape fests the other maps were known for. Valhalla has a ton of caves, rocks, hills, & a pelican to break up sight lines. It's not like you can spawn in the base and start pinging the other base like Hemo.

Add in sprint, faster movement, and higher jumps, and really, I just don't think you can take your Reach BTB experience and think it's going to play out the same way in 4.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Yeah that's the obvious answer. The 8 GB required free HDD space implies you install MP and launch it from Disc 1. The game is done now, it would be great to have an answer.

I dunno, I'm set on thinking it's a special edition disk with extra content. Not necessarily game content, but making of videos...

Havok

I'm fine with the new system, at least you won't see teams camping power weapon spawns all the time anymore. If I had a penny for every time that people were just standing still on top of the middle hill on Valhalla waiting for the Laser to spawn... Ruined a fair amount of matches for me in previous Halos.
It's kind of a tough problem to solve. Either you get the scenario you described (even if you were being facetious, because that's a reason that's been cited for the global ordnance) when the power weapon is static (and is so key on the map) or you get a scenario where the ultimate death laser spawns right by the other team's base instead of the middle all the time and your Warthog rush is ruined because of a random element. It's gonna be really weird. I forsee a lot of "what the fuck just happened" moments, which isn't necessarily positive or negative...but I don't usually love them.

So, I wonder how long til we can can an official Ragnarok reveal.. I hope its sooner rather than later. Big oopsie on those who tweeted the pics, they must have though it was all ok to do (assuming it wasn't). Anyways, hyped!

As for Disc-2 Im still gonna guess its Spartan Ops assets that need to be downloaded. Otherwise its probably the Infinity Multiplayer Suite on disc 2 with SP on disc 1.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Frank is RIGHT HERE folks, if "what's on disc 2" was something simple like "Campaign on 1, MP on 2" I think he'd confirm, as he's not I think there is something they have yet to talk about on disc 2, thus they are keeping quiet now. We still have very little Forge info and no info on Theater. I'm betting there are some surprises yet to come.
3AQmK.gif

DeadNames

Banned
Frank is RIGHT HERE folks, if "what's on disc 2" was something simple like "Campaign on 1, MP on 2" I think he'd confirm, as he's not I think there is something they have yet to talk about on disc 2, thus they are keeping quiet now. We still have very little Forge info and no info on Theater. I'm betting there are some surprises yet to come.
3AQmK.gif

Spectator mode is on the second disc.

BELI343.

senador

Banned
3AQmK.gif

I would guess there is some unannounced feature that lives on one of the discs, but I also don't think the feature will be a super huge deal.

Overdoziz

Banned
-The ordnance system will force players to move around the map, as Over said, no more waiting on the laser to spawn at the top hill every time. I think the ordnance system will benefit BTB more than any of the other playlists.
I was being sarcastic.
Weapon spawn camping has never been a problem in my experience.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
3AQmK.gif

Or we're just making sure we're in proper alignment with all of our PR and messaging folks before talking. It's nothing earth-shattering (rather obvious actually) so no need to go spinning up wild theories. Believe me, I understand your frustrations.

Not taking sides AT ALL in this debate, but I will agree with you on principle. (I don't know the case here between you two, and shouldn't).

I mod for THQ (Saints Row, Homefront, Metro, WWE) and have for Xbox and get people on occasion that will complain that I locked something or banned someone for not agreeing, or because they were posting negatively about the game. It drives me insane.

I don't come into a moderating job with a slight against everyone on those boards. I don't care if you hate the game, I just care if you express that in such a way that promotes good discussion and feedback. I hate/dislike games too, but I'm not going to be a jackass when I post about them. I'm going to give feedback that may help the devs fix things so that I don't hate the next one.

People just seem to not like rules, and when they break them they will use any excuse (see: abusing power) to "get back" at you for punishing them.

/endrant of the day.
/nottakingsides

Well said. Also, what's up with bans that last until 2159 lol..

Or we're just making sure we're in proper alignment with all of our PR and messaging folks before talking. It's nothing earth-shattering (rather obvious actually) so no need to go spinning up wild theories. Believe me, I understand your frustrations.

Now THAT'S what I want on my Halo 5 bonus content disc!

Vire

Campaign on Disc 1, Multiplayer/Spartan Ops on Disc 2.

Got it?

Karl2177

Disc 2 is dedicated server mode. It's so obvious why you haven't commented on it.

Ramirez

I was being sarcastic.
Weapon spawn camping is such a non-issue.

It was a huge issue in Halo 3 BTB. Entire matches revolved around the laser on Valhalla & Standoff. I'm all for set weapons in 4v4, but in BTB? I'm fine with forcing people to move around more.

To touch on Havok's concern, everyone knows when a drop is coming, so really, it's no fault but their own if they don't head towards it.

Placing my bet on Valhalla right now.
I called it. I fuckin called it.

Just found out I share a birthday with Barrow......

I've decided I'm ok with this....

And overnight pictures! What a great present! Now just hand Barrow and I our copies of Halo 4 and we will be on our way! :)
9b7F4.gif

You're the stupid looking Brute.

Well is set spawns at the beginning of the match, but then after that, let the shit show begin!
You've been saying things like this a lot and I'm pretty sure that weapon drops come down in the same preset locations every time, just the weapons themselves are random, but tuned specifically for the map.

Hahaha with global ordnance you can get to the top of the hill and IT MIGHT NOT BE A LASER UP THERE

OLOLOLOL #Halo4
Set weapons at the start of the match.

Easy for you to say since you in all likelihood played most of the time with the same group of Gaffers who played several thousand games of Halo. Try going in with randoms and getting matched against a party. And, don't tell me it's my fault for not going in with a group. Not to mention that if the team gets overrun at their base they would spawn outside the base away from any sniper or missile pod. Good luck taking out a Banshee or Warthog with an AR. Spawn. Wiped out by fuel rod. Spawn. Sniped by some dude on the cliff. Spawn. Instant death by laser. Spawn. Mowed down by overpowered Warthog.

H3 in a nutshell.

Terrible game. Terrible map. Terrible overpowered weapons with terrible layouts. Terrible matchmaking settings.
You know, maybe if you weren't such a debbie downer all the time people here would actually want to play with you and you wouldn't have these problems. Balance the game as much as you want, but if the teams are imbalanced then inevitably one team is going to get shit on. That's just how competitive MP games work.

Top Bottom