• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

So the main reason we haven't had a proper sandbox explanation is because David Ellis laptop crashed lol! Good to know they planned on giving us that info a while back, and glad we got it.

Didnt like certain chunks of it though:
The need for Reliability and familiarity with forerunner weapon design is a huge let down, it would have been interesting to see what happened if they let they're imagination design the weapons.

Gears of war esque 1 shot kill sniper - I should clarify my thoughts on this at a better time, I worry that it won't work well with the sandbox.

Flinch - flinch in halo :(

5 shot kill for the BR - I don't think they actually explained why this was the case? 4 shot kill with slower rof would in my mind be preferred

Beckx

Halo 3's could graze your toe and you'd be dead.

Literally true.

halo3_119284321_full-1.jpg

halo3_119284322_full.jpg

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Yes, I totally wasn't top 5 on the head to head leaderboards. I totally didn't beat Karma in the only 1v1 we played. You got me there; never played Halo 2.

"nonexistent" was hyperbole, obviously. However, the shooting skill gap in Halo 2 was not good. The game had MASSIVE aim assist.

where did you play him?

BigShow36

where did you play him?

Online.
here's the part where you write it off cause it was online even though it was on his host.

Look, I'm not going to keep arguing with you about Halo 2. If someone wants to believe that Halo 2 was some uber-competitive masterpiece, thats fine. I can't argue against blind nostalgia and it's a waste of time. Go play it on XBC.

Thanks, looks really beautiful but larger than I anticipated.

Hope it plays well with 4 vs 4.

I'm not sure if we'll be seeing much 4v4 in this game.. All the maps seem to require at least 5v5 to not have much downtime. 4v4 might be better suited for Forge remakes of classic maps.

Complex looks big and intricate, with really interesting sight lines.

I'm betting there are some nice jumps/shortcuts to take. Lots of verticality.

S1kkZ

If anyone is wondering why I kept missing the Watchers and the Banshees (and kind of the Elites, but I was able to lead those shots) it's because there was RIDICULOUS lag in the AV system in the hall. Made me miss a neat little vignette, but we will put out a better playthrough at some point.

cant wait. the stream was nice but not the best quality (framerate, image quality, player skillz ;)

DopeyFish

Online.
here's the part where you write it off cause it was online even though it was on his host.

Look, I'm not going to keep arguing with you about Halo 2. If someone wants to believe that Halo 2 was some uber-competitive masterpiece, thats fine. I can't argue against blind nostalgia and it's a waste of time. Go play it on XBC.

and what was his gamertag?

Looks great. The shipping map set are clearly a huge step up from Reach.
I think this is a big reason why Valhalla made it in. With universal sprint it's functional for 4v4 slayer, very good for 5v5 obj. and hopefully still a great BTB map. It is a single map that fills all those needs for the initial map set and it is popular with fans of the previous numbered game. 10 maps plus 3 forge environments is going to feel like a big change from Reach's launch maps.

Looks like a big team map to me. Seems a little too big for 4v4.
Coming from Reach I think all these maps are going to look big at first but then play smaller. Faster base speed, plus sprint for everyone, plus tons of UI elements telling you where the action is will likely compress the action.

BigShow36

and what was his gamertag?

I don't remember, sorry. You can choose to believe it was or wasn't him if you want; like I said, I really don't care. I have absolutely nothing to prove here.

If you want to think Halo 2 was the most skillful Halo game, that's your prerogative.

lilty

Coming from Reach I think all these maps are going to look big at first but then play smaller. Faster base speed, plus sprint for everyone, plus tons of UI elements telling you where the action is will likely compress the action.

All of the maps are bigger than what we're used to but the feel of them is different. When I played H4 at FanExpo Haven for example seemed huge at first but with sprint it felt like a good mid sized map. Even Longbow felt kind of small because of how fast it was to traverse. Complex still looks a little big for 4v4 in my opinion.

Slaker117

Both Complex and Valhalla look great, even in shitty off-screen footage, though I'm hoping we see a few more smaller maps soon. Cautiously excited for the Mantis as well.

Watched the demo, and I'm liking the sounds of the Covie and Prom weapons. Though I feel the Prom weapons are too similar in how they look which is weird considering I guess you could say Covenant weapons are like that as well but they seem to have more visual identity to me. The Promethean weapons I've seen so far just look like Forge World blocks that shoot.

I don't know if this was confirmed at some point or not, but watching Frankie ditch the busted up Banshee and enter another one implies to me that vehicles have their own separate health. I hope that's not the case.

But I can't stress enough that removing the huffing and puffing sounds from sprint is much appreciated.

Sai-kun

Banned
TagHeuer Aquaracer WAF2110-0 but it looks weird because I hate metal bands because they tear out your wrist pubes, so I swapped it for a rubber strap from one of their proper diving watches. BTW, this is the only nice "thing" I have ever owned. Apart from my TV. I have a crap car, crap clothes, etc, etc.

yah i can second this i hung out w/ frankie for like 10 minutes @ pax and i was just judging him the whole time i was like 'ugh you wear *those* brands wow'

Re: Loading screen - I still want the Halo 3 loading screen as a screensaver.

DopeyFish

Fuchsdh

Nope, not watching a bit of it. I've seen some of the .gifs, but keeping as fresh as possible for campaign.

Guess I'll be the only one calling the Binary Rifle the zero one. /tooclever

It's not a horrible shortening. There's no point to condensing a weapon name if it doesn't actually take less syllables (aka shotty), but yours shaves off one so that's an advantage :)

Havok

Nice. Killcams continue to surprise me every time they pop up, not that I'm all that opposed to them. I thought it was tough to get a full idea of the layout of Solace from videos, but this is on a whole new level. It's also one of the few maps that I don't immediately have a comparison to an older map for. Hopefully we get more video of it, and the rest of the unannounced maps soon. Seems like the launch lineup beats both Reach and 3 handily.

Curious to see if everything is as unchanged on Valhalla as it seems. The base front ramp being changed is a little strange, and something I wouldn't have removed, but I'm hoping that the hill is graded more equally on both sides. Having a super power spot where you're exposed is okay, but I would have argued that only the lakeside team was ever truly exposed when they controlled the hill, since the hill was "tilted" away from the lakeside base. The waterfall side team had a massive advantage when they controlled it, since the lakeside team only really had one direct route to get up the hill. Otherwise they had to sneak around near the river to the other side, which never worked. It might not seem like a big deal, but when the always-present sniper at Pelican can see the only quickly viable route to the middle at all times for just one of the teams, it's kind of a pain.

Striker

It is a single map that fills all those needs for the initial map set and it is popular with fans of the previous numbered game. 10 maps plus 3 forge environments is going to feel like a big change from Reach's launch maps.
I thought with proper adjustments to the weapons and vehicles, it seemed like a decent decision for a Halo 4 based Objective map. But with its size and all sprint, it's going to be much different.

As for launch maps, these seem solid. Definitely probably the best bunch we've had since Halo 2's launch set. Too many turds in H3's including Snowbound, Epitaph, Isolation, etc. - obviously some decent ones, but so did Reach with Zealot and Powerhouse. I'm iffy on a few here, but more good than bad, so far.

If it's anything like Reach then all maps with the Banshee are already ruined. Did they at least nerf it to hell?

No. It actually does more damage than it did in Reach, and has a higher HP value than it did in Reach.

On the plus side- it maneuvers a lot slower than it did in Reach, so it will be easier to hit and harder for a banshee pilot to avoid lock-on rockets, laser, and charged plasma pistol shots.

It also looks like it's going to tend to be present with other heavy vehicles in most cases thus far. I'm a lot less worried about the banshee if I know I have a scorpion, a mantis, or a gauss hog on my side of the map. I'll swat that annoying little fly right quick with any of those. One of the major problems with the banshee in Reach was that it often appeared as the only heavy vehicle, with the next step on the totem pole being a chain hog.

GhaleonEB

I think this is a big reason why Valhalla made it in. With universal sprint it's functional for 4v4 slayer, very good for 5v5 obj. and hopefully still a great BTB map. It is a single map that fills all those needs for the initial map set and it is popular with fans of the previous numbered game. 10 maps plus 3 forge environments is going to feel like a big change from Reach's launch maps.
This is true - Valhalla isn't a huge map, and it will play smaller with universal sprint. I can see it working for 4 or 5 man teams.

BigShow36

Nah, I did see you played with and against him.

The only time against was an FFA

(hint: he won)

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo2.aspx?gameid=132963395&player=BigShow36

I'm not sure why the game is or isn't showing up. It may have been under a different gamertag; it was on Warlock if that helps. Like I said, you can choose to believe me or not, I really don't care. I'm not here to try and prove I used to be really, really good at Halo.

Your opinion of Halo 2 is laughable and immaterial at this point, but you tried to claim I never played. I pointed out that, yes, I did play and I played with the best. You may not be able to find the 1v1 I'm talking about, but I think an FFA with Karma, Shook, and Anarchy should prove the point just fine.

I'm not sure why the game is or isn't showing up. It may have been under a different gamertag; it was on Warlock if that helps. Like I said, you can choose to believe me or not, I really don't care. I'm not here to try and prove I used to be really, really good at Halo.

Your opinion of Halo 2 is laughable and immaterial at this point, but you tried to claim I never played. I pointed out that, yes, I did play and I played with the best. You may not be able to find the 1v1 I'm talking about, but I think an FFA with Karma, Shook, and Anarchy should prove the point just fine.

What point is that exactly? :lol

DopeyFish

It doesn't prove anything, at all.

I used to play with team3D and Ksharp in counter-strike, that didnt make me any better than cal-im.

But alas, your gamertag is one of the few that actually has every one of his games listed

So I will check every arranged game under warlock and see if you're telling the truth anyways

And on top of that, nothing you said disproves what I said. Ok you're so good. Why aren't you a pro like he is? Wait. Must be that disparity kicking in.

Oh yeah and karma only had the one gamertag through halo 2. He has a few in halo 3 so this is way easy

Please tell the dev team's first collective thought when making the layout was "how do we accommodate the DMR?"

edit: I'm not trying to be rude, just to be clear.

It depresses me that for ~8 damn years we've had to play with shitty mid-long range battles because Bungie thought it was cool to nerf the only way we can battle in those ranges: the BR.

Seriously, thank you 343 for not continuing that trend of weak weapons and boring gunplay.

And on top of that, nothing you said disproves what I said. Ok you're so good. Why aren't you a pro like he is? Wait. Must be that disparity kicking in.

You shouldn't use this as an argument/insult because you don't know what was going on in BigShow's life at the time.. Not taking sides but all these dudes who became pro/famous with Halo 2 (Red Alert (H1 name for Shockwave), Gandhi, TSquared) were no where near as good as many other people in Halo 1 who for whatever reason couldn't attend tournaments and put as much time into Halo competitively.

Just saying..

Top Bottom