• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

willow ve

Can anyone else not find Halo 4's Limited Edition on Amazon?

When I go to my order it redirects to this 404 page.

It's sold out at Amazon.

It's sold out most everywhere now. Might actually have been a "limited" edition. Although I'm waiting to see how many get put on shelves at stores like Target, Walmart, etc., that don't usually have lots of preorders (and in some cases don't even offer preorders).

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Ok done looking at your games bigshow, you didn't play karma on warlock unless his name was something silly like master cheif 17

(looked back up until April 25, 2005, the release date for the halo 2 bonus map pack for good measure)

Swarmerr

I feel relieved that halo 4 will have some type of skill based rank system that allows me to see what my relative skill level is. Now, I just need to wait for the specifics. Complaining will be put on hold about skill based ranks now that I know it is "officially" being addressed.

Almost on the verge of being at max hype levels for this game!!

BigShow36

Ok done looking at your games bigshow, you didn't play karma on warlock unless his name was something silly like master cheif 17

(looked back up until April 25, 2005, the release date for the halo 2 bonus map pack for good measure)

You got me. Halo 2 was the best Halo game ever.

Fracas

#fuckonami
hahah - I tend to find that whichever Halo game people started with and put massive amounts of time into they say is the best.

I started day one with Halo 1 and can say without a doubt that the competitive scene was far more intense than any game in the series. That being said, if the exact style was made today for Matchmaking, the game would tank.

The whole Multiplayer was completely based off whoring those Rockets, some powerups and manipulating the spawns. No matter how disgusting you were with the Pistol, if you couldn't control at least the Rockets, you would get destroyed. I'm not sure if many of people can truly accept that that's bad gameplay for a large majority of Halo's population, especially these days, but it is.

I'm as big a Halo 1 fan as anyone else, but that exact set up of gameplay would simply not work for Matchmaking these days. There was just too much skill and metagame going on in Halo 1 that would turn off so many new players..

..which is then why, if you were heavily involved with the community at the time, you would've saw so many people drop out of Halo shortly after Halo 2 came around. Everything changed. Bungie took the series in a way they thought would appeal to a wider audience by adding massive auto aim/bullet magnetism and just overall weaker gameplay. Not to mention the one man dominance literally vanished over night..

But I digress. Halo 4 is heading towards a place I personally haven't seen in around 8 years - a place with POWERFUL weapons and much more consistent gameplay, so with that I'm truly happy.

Who knows, maybe one day we'll get a Multiplayer remake of Halo 1 on XBLA :b - but until then, 343.. You will have my Sword in battle <3
I started with Halo 2

Also, let me just save you some time; I'm totally lying. I never played Karma and I was terrible at Halo 2. I don't know what I'm talking about and Halo 2 was the best game ever.
Bwahaha!

Do you really think he's lying about being #5 on the bungie.net ladder? Why would he?

It doesn't take a pro or a phenom to recognize that Halo 2 had the most aim assistance. Just pick up a Battle Rifle and paint the reticle over an opposing player. Shoot your PP vaguely in someone's direction across the map and watch it follow them around the corner. Sweep your Sniper reticle over an opposing player. With that much smoothing, it's going to water down the skill separation between players. To say there was none is obviously hyperbole, but there's an argument to made for it being the weakest in the series based purely on aim assist.

I started with Halo 2

"and put massive time into" - If still Halo 3, then you're doing it wrong ;]

loljk, obviously doesn't hold true for everyone.. Can someone post when they start showing footage other than the Campaign? Thanks in advance.

Can anyone come up with a canonical reason for the flag carrier to equip a pistol even if he/she wasn't carrying one in the first place?

Holograms :eek:

It's sold out most everywhere now. Might actually have been a "limited" edition. Although I'm waiting to see how many get put on shelves at stores like Target, Walmart, etc., that don't usually have lots of preorders (and in some cases don't even offer preorders).

Y'know, that was the case, but I decided to place a pre-order for the system at GameStop and they were still taking pre-orders on all the SKUs. Could be just that store, but I think they got a second allocation.

Fracas

#fuckonami
"and put massive time into" - If still Halo 3, then you're doing it wrong ;]

loljk, obviously doesn't hold true for everyone.. Can someone post when they start showing footage other than the Campaign? Thanks in advance.

Holograms :eek:

Started with Halo 2, liked it a lot. Played a ton of multiplayer, had a blast.

Then I played CE. Thought campaign was average (better than 2's), liked multiplayer.

Played Halo 2 until about a month after 3 released (didn't have a 360 yet).

Played Halo 3, fell in love. It still has its problems, but it satisfies 2 things that I love in shooters: No "catch all" weapons that were 100% effective in every situation, and a plethora of asymmetrical maps. Or at least asymmetrical maps that I like. <3

Can anyone come up with a canonical reason for the flag carrier to equip a pistol even if he/she wasn't carrying one in the first place?
irKVqg3hSkcS6.gif

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Oh and for the record I started with halo 1, was obsessed with the game since e3 2000 when I was watching Jason jones present it "this all running on a Riva TNT"

I was a hardcore PC gamer at the time (having skipped the 32/64 generation)

I like how he called you out for not playing Halo 2, despite being one of the last to play it.
Over 7000 games, but clearly I don't have enough experience to appreciate it for the almost perfect game it was. This is cancer of the nostalgia metastasizing to the brain.

I was a hardcore PC gamer at the time (having skipped the 32/64 generation)
Just out of curiousity, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

senador

Banned
My two concerns with the DMR:

It can tag players in their bases from the hill, where the BR was out of range. That will make a decent part of the map between the hill and the base off limits when the hill is taken because of the extended range. It's also going to result in more cross-map shoot outs - think Hemorrhage - and hamper movement along the sides as players work to approach the hill.

It also means you can't flank the hill as effectively taking the turret/bubble shield side of the map. Again, the hill was out of range of the BR and so just plain going around it on foot or with a Mongoose/Warthog was a viable option. But now players from the hill will be able to tag everyone on the map - end to end, side to side. That's now how the hill was intended to function.

I hear these points, and I think they are valid and worth mentioning, but they don't worry me right now. With Sprint, all the different weapons, being able to get weapon drops at your base, and not getting knocked out of scope which means tagging DMR users back will be much easier, I think those problems won't really be problems. It probably won't play or feel quite like it did in Halo 3, but I'm stoked is Valhalla. I'm rally excited to play on it again. Plus, they could have reworked some of the sightlines and geometry.The mech is the only thing that worries me, but it seems slow and awkward from what we have seen.

Im watching this right now, pretty cool to hear their impressions, they really seemed to like what they played.

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I don't recall seeing this particular image.

qE9AB.jpg

It's from here.

Oh, good find, I want that pic in a bigger resolution now.

*edit- why the hell did they recolor all the images to make them brighter and crappy?

Just look:

Havok

In that Gamespot/GB stream, they're watching a Dominion video, and I noticed that you can hold X to get in the vehicles when they're in that holographic form, and presumably only then do they spawn, which is a really neat way to lock them to your team. Might be old, but I don't know if that's had been explained well yet.

GhaleonEB

I hear these points, and I think they are valid and worth mentioning, but they don't worry me right now. With Sprint, all the different weapons, being able to get weapon drops at your base, and not getting knocked out of scope which means tagging DMR users back will be much easier, I think those problems won't really be problems. It probably won't play or feel quite like it did in Halo 3, but I'm stoked is Valhalla. I'm rally excited to play on it again. Plus, they could have reworked some of the sightlines and geometry.The mech is the only thing that worries me, but it seems slow and awkward from what we have seen.

I'd be more encouraged if sprint helped maps that had similar wide open spaces to play better against the DMR (Hemorrhage, Highlands), but it didn't seem to help at all. And guys on the hill engaging those in their base directly is, I think, a pretty fundamental change to how the map will play. I'm deeply pessimistic. But we'll find out soon enough.

Karl2177

*edit- why the hell did they recolor all the images to make them brighter and crappy?
Depending on if they are being printed or not, they probably messed up when creating their versions of it. If they are being printed, they're changed to CMYK and brightened. They probably accidentally linked the CMYK version instead if the original jpg.

Top Bottom