• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Fuchsdh

Yeah, I was agreeing.

One of my favorite parts of the books was when the guy gets liquefied testing the MJOLNIR armor.

I understand it's gonna be fun in the game, I just see it as more logical if a regular marine was in that mech (Overdoziz and I already had this conversation).

Yeah I think of it more as a force amplifier for the regular joes. I can see how it looks less advanced that MJOLNIR, but I'm guessing this is also way cheaper (assuming the GEN2 armor is anywhere near the expense of old Mks.)

I do like that it feels lighter, more like an AT-ST than some of the more MechWarrior style guys we've seen in other games. It divorces it from the "we stuck a tank. On leggggss" interpretation.

So the game is 2 discs, one MP one SP?
So I would assume that one disc would be Campaign, and everything else (Spartan Ops, War Games, Forge) on the second. Theater on both discs.
I can live with that.

Has anyone invented & produced a machine that changes Xbox discs automatically? Would buy.
If not. I would totally do it. Just get one of these:
b62b_powerdrive_CD_DVD_library.jpg

A PICAXE w/ servo operated robotic arm, an IR remote and viola!

I think you'd really need to start questioning your life to buy something like that.
First world problems.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yeah I think of it more as a force amplifier for the regular joes. I can see how it looks less advanced that MJOLNIR, but I'm guessing this is also way cheaper (assuming the GEN2 armor is anywhere near the expense of old Mks.)

I do like that it feels lighter, more like an AT-ST than some of the more MechWarrior style guys we've seen in other games. It divorces it from the "we stuck a tank. On leggggss" interpretation.

Yeah, I definitely can't wait to play with it, it just seems a bit silly.

So I would assume that one disc would be Campaign, and everything else (Spartan Ops, War Games, Forge) on the second. Theater on both discs.
I can live with that.

Has anyone invented & produced a machine that changes Xbox discs automatically? Would buy.

First world problems.

I hope next gen gives us the option of digital or hard copies. I'll go digital all the way for exactly this reason. I love being able to just select a game and go without having to eject, go to dashboard, get the other game out, etc.

I think you'd really need to start questioning your life to buy something like that.

It's no different than enjoying swapping games on quickplay.

m23

I can live with that.

First world problems.

I believe it was hinted at being able to install the second disc and play off the first.

Conor 419

Banned
I really do not like the look of this.

I guess I figured that the mechs would simply be an upscaled version of MJOLNIR armour, kinda like this

Of course there would be changes, but the design we have doesn't really make sense. We know MJOLNIR armour can basically move itself more efficiently than any human can, so why not use it? The current mech design we have looks so restricting and so... clumsy - especially for something apparently 500+ years more advanced.

Now that would have been cool.

Does anyone know the difference between Double XP and MEGA XP? Also, will the these bonuses stack with the Pioneer specialization, or will it be redundant?

Does anyone know the difference between Double XP and MEGA XP? Also, will the these bonuses stack with the Pioneer specialization, or will it be redundant?

I think Double XP is the standard bonus all the game fuel/doritos stuff gives. MEGA XP is just getting a ton of matches to get the double XP bonus from what I understand, but feel free to correct me if this isn't the case. No idea if it stacks with Pioneer; the whole thing ends early January, so my current logic is:

1. Use whatever methods are cheapest to get my 200 double XP matches and play somewhere heavily credit-oriented
  2. Hopefully be close enough to SR-50 when I run out of my matches that I can just start unlocking Pioneer anyway
  3. ???
  4. SPARTAN PROFIT

Someone should really make a flowchart or something explaining how exactly all of the Double XP deals work and what ways will net you the most matches.

I think Double XP is the standard bonus all the game fuel/doritos stuff gives. MEGA XP is just getting a ton of matches to get the double XP bonus from what I understand, but feel free to correct me if this isn't the case. No idea if it stacks with Pioneer; the whole thing ends early January, so my current logic is:

1. Use whatever methods are cheapest to get my 200 double XP matches and play somewhere heavily credit-oriented
  2. Hopefully be close enough to SR-50 when I run out of my matches that I can just start unlocking Pioneer anyway
  3. ???
  4. SPARTAN PROFIT

Someone should really make a flowchart or something explaining how exactly all of the Double XP deals work and what ways will net you the most matches.

TO THE WHITEBOARD!
The Doritos thing is US exclusive, right?
Afraid so. Only reason I haven't done the maths yet.

Akai__

No, but this whole Double XP/ Mega XP is just stupid...

I really hoped, that something like this wouldn't happen to Halo, but here we go. I don't even get, what the point behind is, other then marketing. You won't get a better player, by ranking up faster, so yeah, go ahead and buy a bazilion of unnecessary Mountain Dew's and Doritos'...

Can anyone explain the whole DLC SKU fiasco with the LE? I'm not sure I understand.

War Games pass comes with Strider helmet, Scanner helmet and Falcon emblem.
LE come with the Prime skins & emblem, and the War games pass without the helmets and emblem.

--

Halo 4 Standard Edition $59.99 USD

Halo 4 Limited Edition $99.99 USD
Xbox 360 Limited Edition Halo 4 Console Bundle $399.99 USD

Halo 4 War Games Map Pass $24.99 USD
Standalone Xbox 360 Halo 4 UNSC Limited Edition Wireless Controller $59.99 USD

Can anyone explain the whole DLC SKU fiasco with the LE? I'm not sure I understand.

LE comes with the season pass. The season pass sold on its own comes with the Strider and Scanner helmets. The LE doesn't have those.

So basically if you were getting the LE to get the season pass, don't. Just get them separately.

Oh Abdozer I forgot to mention that in the LE, the season pass is actually $30 of that cost, but on it's own it's $25. So essentially you're paying $15 extra for slick packaging and the other features of LE.

GhaleonEB

War Games pass comes with Strider helmet, Scanner helmet and Falcon emblem.
LE come with the Prime skins & emblem, and the War games pass without the helmets and emblem.

Would have been more thoughtful, and fair, to collectors to include one specific set of things with the season pass, in both purchase options. Then add other items into the LE as exclusives. Very strange, messy calls there.

For those who do not visit the OT but enjoy a good train wreak: Bish is going to make this thread retroactively awesome soon.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I guess I figured that the mechs would simply be an upscaled version of MJOLNIR armour, kinda like this

Of course there would be changes, but the design we have doesn't really make sense. We know MJOLNIR armour can basically move itself more efficiently than any human can, so why not use it? The current mech design we have looks so restricting and so... clumsy - especially for something apparently 500+ years more advanced.

Because its not just for Spartans, who are dramatically augmented and in some ways post-human. It's for regular joes, including the most heroic of all UNSC staff - janitors.

Scene: Chief on Requiem, unknown forest sector, 2557, daytime.

Chief wanders through the forest after a tough battle with some Promethean Knights, winded and weary trying to face this new foe. Cortana's familiar voice resonates through his suit.

"Chief, it looks like we're safe for now. Maybe we should find you something to eat, you can't keep this up alone, you know."

Camera pans right. Sparks illuminate the alien blue sky as a UNSC ship - classification unbeknownst to the Master Chief - begins to make a crash landing directly overhead.

Worried that the Infinity may become the grave to one of the most prestigious military endeavors the military has ever known, Chief and Cortana rush through the woods in an attempt to locate the crash site, battling various Forerunner sentries in the process.

They finally make it to the crash site - a barren badlands. Chief's suit glows brightly reflecting the omnipresent sun, but he himself has grown arid.

An unknown voice calls out. "Chief, heads up!"

With lightning-fast reflexes, Chief grabs a foreign object thrown his way - only to find out it's a pack of special HALO 4 DOUBLE EXP COOL RANCH DORITOS™! But that's not all. With the other hand, he catches another familiar object: a REFRESHING BOTTLE OF HALO 4 DOUBLE EXP GAME FUEL™.

"Cool beans!" the Master Chief exclaims, before taking a handful of doritos and mushing them into his visor in an attempt to eat them.

A certain Lasky, relieved to see the Master Chief's well-being, confronts him. "You've really got to spend some time outside that suit, buddy. Here, this should make it easier!" He hands the Master Chief a straw, and the Chief proceeds to take a few refreshing sips of the BOTTLE OF HALO 4 DOUBLE EXP GAME FUEL™.

Chief, Lasky, and a few battle-ready Spartan IVs laugh as the camera pans out. Fade to black, followed by a faint orange aura illuminating an imposing, enigmatic figure.

"I have long dreamt of this day, Reclaimer... that one day, we may both get to enjoy these delicious DORITOS™ and GAME FUEL™!"

If for only a few moments, the war engages in a peaceful halftime where Covenant, UNSC, and Prometheans alike indulge in SPECIALLY-MARKED PACKAGES OF DORITOS AND MOUNTAIN DEW WHILE SUPPLIES LAST©. Spartan IVs DJ the scene using remixes specifically crafted from the Halo 4 Original Soundtrack.

The Master Chief looks into the camera one last time.

"I need a refreshment. And you should, too!"

HALO 4® DORITOS© AND MOUNTAIN DEW® GAMEFUEL™ ARE TRADEMARKED COPYRIGHTS REGISTERED BY VARIOUS COMPANIES IN ORDER TO DRAIN BAD KIDS OF THEIR PARENTS' RIGHTLY-EARNED MONEY™ AND ALL LEGAL RIGHTS ARE GIVEN AS DICTATED BY BYLAW 69 OF THE 343DEXP CLAUSE©. FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL RESULT IN LEGAL ACTION OVERSEEN BY THE KJ60FPS®. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. 2012

IHaveIce

Banned
It has come to my attention that Bobs' has become the newest covert to the church of H4.

Long may it continue.

I'm interested how lang he had to wait to play it, the lines for Halo were long when I was there.

I also wanted to say that even after playing some games I'm not sure which Rifle will be my to go weapon.
Secondary without Firepower( andn ot in BTB) will be Boltshot for sure.

The Sticky Gun is so awesome, also the Incernator Cannon is badass, in a Regicide match someone had it with Jetpack, he just fired in a group of Players that were in close combat -blam- I think he got a Overkill. The Spread of the smaller explosion bombs is really dangerous

GhaleonEB

Because its not just for Spartans, who are dramatically augmented and in some ways post-human. It's for regular joes, including the most heroic of all UNSC staff - janitors.

I suddenly wish the Mantis had been called The Janitor, for some reason. Because it's going to clean house.

Ryaaan14

Banned

The Mantis looks way better than that thing.

I suddenly wish the Mantis had been called The Janitor, for some reason. Because it's going to clean house.
Yes. The Janitor is useless if it has to do some wide range cleaning. Vacuum cleaner and broom only work in close space. At least that's what I am thinking about the equipment of a Janitor.

We are talking about janitors right? Or am I out of the loop? I mean this guy:
janitor2b.jpg

There's too much stuff in the game for Bumper Jumper to be efficient. (AAs and Sprint specifically)
I'll probably just use an Onza with the extra bumpers as sprint and AA.

RT: Fire
RB: Melee
RB2: Sprint
RS: Scope

LT: Throw Grenade
LB: Jump
LB2: Use AA
LS: Crouch

A: Sprint
B: Reload/Action
X: Use AA
Y: Switch Weapon

DP: Switch Grenade
BACK: Score board
START: Settings/Loadouts

Generated with Controller-Layout-Designer

Seems efficient.
Bolded, what? From Reach to 4, one function has been added to the controls. By moving one unimportant function to the d-pad (switch grenades), bumper jumper has the exact same efficiency as it did in reach.

Yes. The Janitor is useless if it has to do some wide range cleaning. Vacuum cleaner and broom only work in close space. At least that's what I am thinking about the equipment of a Janitor.

We are talking about janitors right? Or am I out of the loop? I meant those guys:
janitor2b.jpg

Call it the Kill Janitor Class-60 Field Protection Suit. The KJ60FPS.

JHall

A lot of HaloGAFfers will change their minds after they have played it. The most of Team Downer underestimate the power of awesome core gameplay.

It's too early in the morning for me to write a long, drawn out statement about why the bolded is further from the true.

Maybe later today I"ll write something up.

Edit: I'd like to add that I am not apart of team downer or team slurp, I try my best to remain extremely unbiased until I have played the game for at least a month. That way I can get passed the honey moon phase.

Bolded, what? From Reach to 4, one function has been added to the controls. By moving one unimportant function to the d-pad (switch grenades), bumper jumper has the exact same efficiency as it did in reach.

imo BJ in reach was borderline efficient. I loved it in Halo 3. From 3 -> Reach was +1, from Reach -> 4 is +1 again.

G17

Is Team Slayer in Halo 4 still alive? Don't think we've seen it since E3 and I'd hate it if we're stuck with only infinity slayer/ordnance drops.

I'm hoping 343 do a similar playlist style to Halo 3 where you have Social (Ordnance) and Ranked/"Skill based"playlists without ordnance and a few other changes.

Scene: Chief on Requiem, unknown forest sector, 2557, daytime.

Chief wanders through the forest after a tough battle with some Promethean Knights, winded and weary trying to face this new foe. Cortana's familiar voice resonates through his suit.

"Chief, it looks like we're safe for now. Maybe we should find you something to eat, you can't keep this up alone, you know."

Camera pans right. Sparks illuminate the alien blue sky as a UNSC ship - classification unbeknownst to the Master Chief - begins to make a crash landing directly overhead.

Worried that the Infinity may become the grave to one of the most prestigious military endeavors the military has ever known, Chief and Cortana rush through the woods in an attempt to locate the crash site, battling various Forerunner sentries in the process.

They finally make it to the crash site - a barren badlands. Chief's suit glows brightly reflecting the omnipresent sun, but he himself has grown arid.

An unknown voice calls out. "Chief, heads up!"

With lightning-fast reflexes, Chief grabs a foreign object thrown his way - only to find out it's a pack of special HALO 4 DOUBLE EXP COOL RANCH DORITOS™! But that's not all. With the other hand, he catches another familiar object: a REFRESHING BOTTLE OF HALO 4 DOUBLE EXP GAME FUEL™.

"Cool beans!" the Master Chief exclaims, before taking a handful of doritos and mushing them into his visor in an attempt to eat them.

A certain Lasky, relieved to see the Master Chief's well-being, confronts him. "You've really got to spend some time outside that suit, buddy. Here, this should make it easier!" He hands the Master Chief a straw, and the Chief proceeds to take a few refreshing sips of the BOTTLE OF HALO 4 DOUBLE EXP GAME FUEL™.

Chief, Lasky, and a few battle-ready Spartan IVs laugh as the camera pans out. Fade to black, followed by a faint orange aura illuminating an imposing, enigmatic figure.

"I have long dreamt of this day, Reclaimer... that one day, we may both get to enjoy these delicious DORITOS™ and GAME FUEL™!"

If for only a few moments, the war engages in a peaceful halftime where Covenant, UNSC, and Prometheans alike indulge in SPECIALLY-MARKED PACKAGES OF DORITOS AND MOUNTAIN DEW WHILE SUPPLIES LAST©. Spartan IVs DJ the scene using remixes specifically crafted from the Halo 4 Original Soundtrack.

The Master Chief looks into the camera one last time.

"I need a refreshment. And you should, too!"

HALO 4® DORITOS© AND MOUNTAIN DEW® GAMEFUEL™ ARE TRADEMARKED COPYRIGHTS REGISTERED BY VARIOUS COMPANIES IN ORDER TO DRAIN BAD KIDS OF THEIR PARENTS' RIGHTLY-EARNED MONEY™ AND ALL LEGAL RIGHTS ARE GIVEN AS DICTATED BY BYLAW 69 OF THE 343DEXP CLAUSE©. FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL RESULT IN LEGAL ACTION OVERSEEN BY THE KJ60FPS®. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. 2012
This is so many levels of win.

Is Team Slayer in Halo 4 still alive? Don't think we've seen it since E3 and I'd hate it if we're stuck with only infinity slayer/ordnance drops.

I'm hoping 343 do a similar playlist style to Halo 3 where you have Social (Ordnance) and Ranked/"Skill based"playlists without ordnance and a few other changes.

They're only showing off the new stuff. Most of the old modes should be returning (an assumption, of course), and they'd be beyond silly to drop regular TS...

Moa

For those who were curious, Neil Davidge removed the Remixes from Soundcloud overnight, just checked this morning.

I've privated the YouTube videos, will probably remove them in the future.

IHaveIce

Banned
Moa, were you following this thread at all? How in the world did it get 75 pages.. Most likely a whole lot of arguing over semantics and "we got ripped off" lol

oh god lol.

Just have seen that I was banned on Waypoint (or still am?) for this post way back on the 5th of September (Bulletin thread)

No disabling Auto Pick up? No Mark V and no ODST armors, but Unicorn armor and VCR helmet?

Bunch of stupid Grifball questions?

way to go 343.

Moa, were you following this thread at all? How in the world did it get 75 pages.. Most likely a whole lot of arguing over semantics and "we got ripped off" lol

It is a scummy business tactic. Loyal fans who are buying the LE are getting cheated out of 2 helmets unless they pony up 25 bucks for a map pass they already have. It doesn't help that the LE's bonuses are just stupid skins and early access to stuff that everyone else is going to get for free anyways.

What the hell is David Cross doing in Halo 2?
Once you hear him in that game, it's all you hear, ever.

He is every damn marine in that game lol.
They're only showing off the new stuff. Most of the old modes should be returning (an assumption, of course), and they'd be beyond silly to drop regular TS...

For the core MM lists, they should drop "regular" TS. If they truly want to have a uniform, focused MM environment, than having two gametypes side be side that only have one difference, personal ordnance or not, is a poor decision in my opinion.

Note: this doesn't apply to possible "classic" or hardcore lists.

Top Bottom