• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Actually, I've got an even better idea! Let's just use a .txt based database. Then just continuously open and close millions of file streams. I'm sure we can find a way to nest these too. That shouldn't put a strain on server RAM or CPU resources. We should probably serialize all the data before puting them into the .txt files too, just to ensure consistency...or something.

tumblr_m3iqjsjEuD1r3feao.gif

Sordid

Amazon UK haven't shipped my hardback copy yet and Amazon US says the Kindle version of Thursday War isn't out 'till the 25th. How are people getting it on their Kindles? I've just finished a book and want to start Thursday War tonight if I can.

Amazon UK haven't shipped my hardback copy yet and Amazon US says the Kindle version of Thursday War isn't out 'till the 25th. How are people getting it on their Kindles? I've just finished a book and want to start Thursday War tonight if I can.
It is available if you change your kindle country setting to USA. (You need a US address)

New map is called Abandon

First impression: Reminds me of Backwash. I'm glad I wasn't the only one when the IGN guy said it too lol.

Other things:

I think that DoF will be part of the Theater Mode. When the camera was just flying around, the effect was very apparent.

The art direction is amazing.

Looks like a fun map.

GhaleonEB

Yeah it was an amusing moment. The IGN guy was clearly just talking the overall setting, but the silence cracked me up.

Map looks good, though I probably won't be spending much time on it.

Edit: it occurs to me that we may get the Forge maps shown off this way, along with Forge. Which would be great.

Edit 2: or not. They said "for more on all 10 MP maps...." at end. Alas.

Beckx

FFA/Regicide on this map will be good times.

I really like the number of layers on the new map, not just vertically, but on a 2-D space. I feel like it gives the radar utility, given how big the maps are- but I suspect there will still be uncertainty (w/o PV) of your location w/ all of the trees/rocks/etc.

Two things that occurred to me watching it: First, if PV is in SWAT, it will be all powerful. Second, I'll still miss my first shot and continue to hate SWAT regardless.

New thought: I'm glad the Night Elves allowed them to build a map in Darnassus.
I kid, I kid. It's the sparkly trees and vines and such.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
I really like the number of layers on the new map, not just vertically, but on a 2-D space. I feel like it gives the radar utility, given how big the maps are- but I suspect there will still be uncertainty (w/o PV) of your location w/ all of the trees/rocks/etc.

Maybe third map I could envision 2v2 working as well.

Maybe third map I could envision 2v2 working as well.

Agreed... I'll be watching this video repeatedly to grasp the layout. :)

When the IGN guy said that the middle structure would be great for KotH and oddball, I felt like the guy from 343 kinda tried to kinda evade that statement by saying it also works great for regicide. Hopefully, we'll get a confirmation that KotH, assault, 1-flag CTF, etc are returning.

Map looks good. Bit on the big side to be called a small map if you'd go by previous games' standard but it seems to fit with Halo 4's.

He would have listened to it. As it is a sandbox podcast and he was paramount to Halo's sandbox design, philosophy and development, I'm sure he is interested in what 343 are doing with Halo 3. From comments he has made, I surmise that he didn't like Halo Reach's sandbox.

Where has he said this stuff? Didn't he work on reach?

Vire

Hmm.. not sure what to make of the new map.

Backwash vibes isn't a great thing.

Also, another UNSC research base? Isn't Complex that? Seems like a lazy way to reuse assets.

Overdoziz

Banned
Good to see some more variety in aesthetics, got a bit tired of the brightly lit, grassy, canyon maps with white forerunner/human structures on it. Still wish it was a Covenant structure or something, we've seen enough human stuff. Also nice that it seems to be smaller than the other Halo 4 maps we've seen so far, although I'm a bit worried that close quarter power weapons could be a tad too powerful a it. Let's just hope 343 won't give us an abundance of them like Bungie did with Countdown. Hopefully the map is good for Objective gametype, especially 1-Flag, Oddball and KotH.

Talents

Banned
Hmm.. not sure what to make of the new map.

Backwash vibes isn't a great thing.

Also, another UNSC research base? Isn't Complex that? Seems like a lazy way to reuse assets.

Same, I don't really like the look of it either. :(
Never been fond of the flood looking maps.

lilty

Wished we could have seen more actual gameplay on it, but it looks pretty good. Have to play on it obviously to judge it, but I like the art design of it. Something a little bit different. Also I'm glad they mentioned they have a select number of small maps, maybe we'll see at least 1 new small map.

Top Bottom