• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach & Bungie at GamesCom 2010

Popeck

That's not that bad a spoiler. As long as I don't know too much details about the plot beforehand, I'm happy. I watched some gameplay footage on ODST before my first playthrough, but I didn't really think about it when I played. Of course it takes some of the surprise element away, but it's one thing to see some crappy footage on Youtube and another thing to actually play it yourself and explore the environment. And in the longrun, I'm always in for the gameplay considering Halo.

Hopefully I'll get to play Reach next week so I won't have to juggle with spoilers for too long. I'll just have to try to keep my mouth shut when the hype train is arriving at its destination and going gets really crazy.

Eazy gets himself banned just as I was going to ask him about his Crysis version of Valhalla.

Judging by this leak, the shocking twist in future Halo games will be that
there weren't Forerunner structures built into the planet aeons previously, just waiting to be discovered.

Chinner said:
what was eazyb banned for? was it for bashing shiskia or something else?
Bashing Shishka by comparing Shishka's disappearance from Bungie to the relatively recent removal of a dictator from Iraq.

I mean, I never minded his sense of humour, though I do think he turned pretty cranky in the past year for no apparent reason, but I can see why mods don't want GAF to play host to vicious Saddam Photoshops.

Kibbles

Mik2121 said:
You can only download it using special codes. You can't have Microsoft points on your account.
Yes, but somehow the hackers pulled it from the marketplace with their 1337, illegal skillz. It has a build # on it too, which is odd... may not be final?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Mik2121 said:
You can only download it using special codes. You can't have Microsoft points on your account.

Probably somehow spoofed the system into thinking their accounts were authorized to download it, like that thing with Modern Warfare and the arcade games being free thing, or stole someone who COULD download its' account.

Lakitu

st5fu
Just a thought about the leaked firefight map *spoilers*
Glacier = Forerunner location means Flood will actually be showing up in the campaign?

That leaked Firefight map looks nice. Great to see a
snowy map.

Lakitu said:
Just a thought about the leaked firefight map *spoilers*
Glacier = Forerunner location means Flood will actually be showing up in the campaign?

Pretty sure the ESRB rating for the game shoots this down; there's no "Gore" mentioned which was the case for all Halo games featuring Flood, and was also not listed as part of ODST's rating

Rickard

Shake Appeal said:
I mean, I never minded his sense of humour, though I do think he turned pretty cranky in the past year for no apparent reason, but I can see why mods don't want GAF to play host to vicious Saddam Photoshops.

I'm pretty sure it was more about him insulting a person and celebrating that they'd lost their job than it was about Saddam.

I like how so many just spoiled some serious shit for themselves upon
highlighting a spoiler
and then proceeding to call it fake.

:|

Rickard

Bungie needs to be more daring with the environments they put in these games.

What reach needs is a beautiful meadow full of butterflies.

Maybe then I'll actually care when the whole place goes Alderaan.

Blueblur1

Wow, I'm pretty surprised at Eazy's ban. He had it coming but a perma ban? That's really rough.

And holy crap @ spoilers. I watched the video and won't be looking at anything else. I'm gonna check this thread once a day so I avoid someone reading spoilers. There's bound to be someone who will come in here to post and forget to close a spoiler tag.

Just avoid the spoilers like we did back in our day!

NorhalThreat-1.jpg

avoidhalospoilers-1.jpg

Wizman23

Banned
Blueblur1 said:
Wow, I'm pretty surprised at Eazy's ban. He had it coming but a perma ban? That's really rough.

Him making jokes about someone losing their job isn't funny at all. Good Riddance to him this place will be better without him.

Was it confirmed Shishka was fired, even? Dude could have left because his wife has bone cancer or something. It'd be nice to hear, one way or another. He seemed like a good fellow from his posts here.

Shake Appeal said:
Was it confirmed Shishka was fired, even? Dude could have left because his wife has bone cancer or something. It'd be nice to hear, one way or another. He seemed like a good fellow from his posts here.

"It'd be nice to hear", immediately after "his wife has bone cancer or something". :lol

So many spoilers tempted to highlight. Looking forward to the BWU tonight. Here's hoping there's a gameplay video or two. Or maybe those Reach desktop wallpapers Urk said were being worked on?

Shake Appeal said:

Nothing has been said either way. I think it's probably the lack of any reference to it, even a throwaway line in a weekly update (which has happened for quite a few of the notable Bungie guys over the years) that has caused people to start speculating. Not that that proves anything.

Hope Jeremiah takes over the playlists again though; I think he did a great job with Halo 2's. Halo 3's playlists were alright for the most part, but there were some really questionable decisions in there.

Photolysis said:
Hope Jeremiah takes over the playlists again though; I think he did a great job with Halo 2's. Halo 3's playlists were alright for the most part, but there were some really questionable decisions in there.
One thing I agree with Eazy about is that it's probably not a one-man job.

That said, I think Reach will be easier to manage because of the fewer playlists/better voting options, and because you always start with at least one weapon that can serve you well in most situations (i.e. the pistol).

There's still the elephant in the room of how exactly good user-created maps are (ever?) going to enter matchmaking, but at least when you spawn with an AR in this game you can immediately press Y to have fun.

Tashi0106 said:
Double digit campaign levels
single digit firefight maps
single digit multiplayer maps

?????
Really good possibility that M$ has gone dirty on us again and held back the other MP maps until a later date. Not really that surprising, and may be one of the contributing factors to Bungie's new partnership.

Here's to hoping that the community doesn't get completely sick of dark grey Forerunner architecture any time soon.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Alright Time for me to go Dark. I will see you all on the 15th.

MrBig

squidhands said:
Here's to hoping that the community doesn't get completely sick of dark grey Forerunner architecture any time soon.
I'm really hoping for a human themed forge map sometime down the line. If they do do another forge map, they better not do another forge world, and have a bigger budget instead of a bigger map.

Ajemsuhgao said:
Reading a thread that the guy who posted that youtube vid posted in...

Someone else who has it(part of the same team of modders that got it), posted details on number of maps, firefight maps, and campaign missions.

Campaign Levels.
Firefight maps.
Multiplayer maps.

Hmm, my guess for game size wasn't too far off. Forgeworld threw off my count of MP maps though, as it is so much more than 1 map.

Urk, any chance of explaining how forge and invasion interact in the BWU?

Shake Appeal said:
One thing I agree with Eazy about is that it's probably not a one-man job.

That said, I think Reach will be easier to manage because of the fewer playlists/better voting options, and because you always start with at least one weapon that can serve you well in most situations (i.e. the pistol).

There's still the elephant in the room of how exactly good user-created maps are (ever?) going to enter matchmaking, but at least when you spawn with an AR in this game you can immediately press Y to have fun.

I'd agree that managing the playlists whilst trying to find and test community maps is too much for one person. To do justice to the task of finding good custom content, it probably would require a dedicated position, especially when it's far far easier to create maps than ever before. I know that the clunkiness of Forge put me off trying.

I wonder if it's worth having a dedicated testing playlist for custom content, using the veto system as an indicator of popularity. This could also allow for authors to get more detailed stats on how the map plays, leading to better balance.

NeXuSDK

squidhands said:
Really good possibility that M$ has gone dirty on us again and held back the other MP maps until a later date. Not really that surprising, and may be one of the contributing factors to Bungie's new partnership.

I seriously don't get people on this one. It might only be
multiplayer maps, but so what if they all are instant classics? I'd rather want few extremely polished and deeply fun maps than a large quantity where half of them are quickly forgotten.

Sai

DrBo42 said:
What is it with community Halo footage and terrible rock music? Fuck sake. Looks good though.
Seriously. At least use stuff from the games' soundtracks.

Man, I hope those variants from Forge World aren't a part of those
maps. That's fewer than I expected.

[EDIT] - I'll miss you, Eazy. :(

PooBone

Wiggum2007 said:
I'd assume the host's Noble 6 will appear in the cutscenes, and the other players won't be visible in the cutscene. Similar to how extra players in past Halo games aren't shown in cutscenes.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I do remember in Halo 3 some cutscenes being different in co-op. For example, the last cutscene on "The Ark" where Chief gets in the Pelican. On co-op, the Arbiter is with him.

Man I wanna play that level right now.

Lakitu

st5fu
electricpirate said:
Hmm, my guess for game size wasn't too far off. Forgeworld threw off my count of MP maps though, as it is so much more than 1 map.

Urk, any chance of explaining how forge and invasion interact in the BWU?

Campaign mission count confuses me since
there are only 9 achievements for missions.

Mikasangelos said:
For you Android users, Halo Reach app is up and a useful tool for keeping up with what armor you got when the game releases.

Just downloaded it - I'm actually quite impressed! :)

Got a countdown clock running too....24 days people. Just 24 days.

Lakitu

st5fu
PooBone said:
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I do remember in Halo 3 some cutscenes being different in co-op. For example, the last cutscene on "The Ark" where Chief gets in the Pelican. On co-op, the Arbiter is with him.

Man I wanna play that level right now.

Definitely the best mission in Halo 3... designed so well. It's up there with the best of Halo: CE as well.

Gui_PT

Wow, I leave for 1 night and all of this happened. EasyB wasn't permabanned, was he?

I'm going to exit most of the internet except for HaloGaf and maybe HBO, because I know people will respect spoilers here and everything will be fine.

A bit OT, I see a lot of you people asking for help with achievements.
Add me, GT: Monolith Gui and message me at any time. I'm always willing to help you guys.

MrBig

I don't feel like going back to see if this has been posted already
Its the final map file list
campaign.map
45_launch_station.map
35_island.map
30_settlement.map
20_sword_slayer.map
45_aftship.map
52_ivory_tower.map
50_panopticon.map
70_boneyard.map
ff50_park.map
ff30_waterfront.map
ff20_courtyard.map
ff10_prototype.map
ff45_corvette.map
ff60_icecave.map
ff60_airview.map
ff70_holdout.map
m45.map
m10.map
forge_halo.map
m05.map
m30.map
m20.map
m35.map
m70_a.map
m60.map
m52.map
m50.map
m70.map
mainmenu.map
m70_bonus.map
shared.map
Looks like there really is a bonus mission in the game. Heres hoping for PoA

Sai said:
Seriously. At least use stuff from the games' soundtracks.

Man, I hope those variants from Forge World aren't a part of those
maps. That's fewer than I expected.

[EDIT] - I'll miss you, Eazy. :(

They aren't. BTW, does anyone actually care about the names of the MP maps? I figure if we are spoiling the total...

Boneyard
Spire
Powerhouse
SwordBase
Reflection
countdown
boardwalkk
Zealot
Forge World
--> Grifball
--> Sanctum
--> Pinnacle
--> Hemorage
--> Paradiso
--> The cage

Lakitu said:
Campaign mission count confuses me since
there are only 9 achievements for missions.
Yeah.
Maybe we're getting that "Halo (1)" remake I've been talking about ever since "it's big, and alien, and huge." Three levels are unaccounted for according to the achievements. Hmm. Maybe "Pillar of Autumn" and "Halo (1)" remake as well as an introductory level?"

Monocle

Dax01 said:
Yeah.
Maybe we're getting that "Halo (1)" remake I've been talking about ever since "it's big, and alien, and huge." Three levels are unaccounted for according to the achievements. Hmm. Maybe "Pillar of Autumn" and "Halo (1)" remake as well as an introductory level?"
My pants would explode.

Oh god so many spoiler tags...

I'm going to resist highlighting anything, I just ask that you guys continue to spoiler tag anything that hasn't been officially announced :)

So besides watching a Youtube video of apparent spoilers, are there any interesting videos/pictures of the leak? I haven't watched the Youtube video yet, but how are people so certain the game is leaked?

Devin Olsen said:
Oh god so many spoiler tags...

I'm going to resist highlighting anything, I just ask that you guys continue to spoiler tag anything that hasn't been officially announced :)

So besides watching a Youtube video of apparent spoilers, are there any interesting videos/pictures of the leak? I haven't watched the Youtube video yet, but how are people so certain the game is leaked?
The modder scene said that they have the game. Its just a matter of time.

GhaleonEB

*removes EazyB from Ignore list*

Sucks about the leak. Kind of ironic how it happened, though. I'm avoiding everything but this thread, and the b.net front page and the stuff those two link to.

Top Bottom