• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach & Bungie at GamesCom 2010

Wiggum2007

Ahahaha told you all it was real! Looks like I'll be keeping that left nut after all!!
I still wish it was fake so I hadn't spoiled myself. :(

GhaleonEB

Wiggum2007 said:
Ahahaha told you all it was real! Looks like I'll be keeping that left nut after all!!
I still wish it was fake so I hadn't spoiled myself. :(
No offense, but I'd rather you have lost your nut. I understand why you wouldn't share the sentiment, though. ;)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Captain Blood said:
Confirmed perm.

Holy shitballs, that's some heavy shit. I mean, it's not like he faked his girlfriend's murder! :lol

Dani said:

Why did you remove the link? At least this proves what some of us suspected was a real picture! :D That looked awesome!

Edit: Doh, didn't realize I skipped a page, gotcha now.

NeXuSDK said:
I seriously don't get people on this one. It might only be
multiplayer maps, but so what if they all are instant classics? I'd rather want few extremely polished and deeply fun maps than a large quantity where half of them are quickly forgotten.
I love me some Bungie, but I've never once played a Halo game where it's in-game maps were all instant classics.

I'm sooooooo glad I didn't click on any spoiler tags.

Wiggum2007

We need to get some voice clips of the female Noble 6 so this thread can devolve into the Halo equivalent of the Mass Effect FemShep vs. MaleShep debates.

GhaleonEB said:
No offense, but I'd rather you have lost your nut. I understand why you wouldn't share the sentiment, though. ;)

:lol Can't say I blame you.

squidhands said:
I love me some Bungie, but I've never once played a Halo game where it's in-game maps were all instant classics.
And while I loved the beta and liked its (non-Invasion) maps, none of them were instant classics.

Arnie

While I am in the camp that really likes EazyB, both for his humour and his gameplay preferences aligning with my own, that post he made really was out of order and I'm not surprised he is now gone. Sad to see you go Eazy.

Leaks in general suck. If there ever was a time to do a Riddick (go dark) this would be it.

Now regarding the leaked multiplayer maps:
I think Boardwalk must be the map that Luke referred to as "the best in the game". Knowing Luke's playstyle preference for precision weapon slayer style matches, Boardwalk fits into that perfectly with a narrow playspace designed with the two teams at either end, similar to Narrows from what I can gather.

Countdown on the other hand is a tricky one to analyse although it looks, for me, to be quite a complicated and awkward map to play in. The many levels and ledges, combined with the dark lighting make it quite a hard map to navigate, from a mental perspective of course as I have never played it.

Oh and thanks to Ze for linking to that Firefox plugin a couple pages back.

Wait a second... Only 2 Invasion-Map? Hope the first map pack will have 2 new Invasion Maps.(I'll play the shit out of this game mode)

Other question: Is it worth to buy the Halo Encyclopedia?

Schmitty

Well I'm glad you guys respect the spoilers. I've been able to read this thread without revealing anything to myself. Of course then I can't get in on the conversation.

I'm hoping for another firefight or MP match tonight in the BWU. I'm assuming the last 2 MP maps (Countdown and Boardwalk) are being left for PAX.

GhaleonEB

Hypertrooper said:
Wait a second... Only 2 Invasion-Map? Hope the first map pack will have 2 new Invasion Maps.(I'll play the shit out of this game mode)

I wonder if Paradiso was set up to be an Invasion map. It's set on the island which is pretty big.

As to the encyclopedia, I think so. I was disappointed by the lack of artwork, but the information in it is well done and nicely organized. (And now, out of date, but that's the nature of the beast.)

MrBig

Hypertrooper said:

Forge world lets you have pretty much an unlimited amount of invasion maps.
e: getting on h3 for some mm, anyone who wants to do some ff achievements in odst message me. GT: avp DRAGON

broony

MrBig said:
Forge world lets you have pretty much an unlimited amount of invasion maps.
e: getting on h3 for some mm, anyone who wants to do some ff achievements in odst message me. GT: avp DRAGON

Don't remeber seeing any forge invasion options have they shown any? I assumed that invasion stuff wouldn't be possible with forge.

I leave to Cologne for a few days and everything goes to pieces.
Shocked when I heard from Darkflight, both about what Eazy posted and the fact that it´s a perm.
Not that it wasn't a deserving post, bloody stupid, mean and unfair, just that Eazy is one of the main posters I think of when I think of HaloGAF.

-----------
Cologne has been great, had a lovely chat with Luke yesterday, actual impressions when I return to the motherland tomorrow.

broony said:
Don't remeber seeing any forge invasion options have they shown any? I assumed that invasion stuff wouldn't be possible with forge.
Tyson confirmed it in a Q&A on Bungie.net iirc. You can find it easily transcribed on hbo.

Shake Appeal said:
And while I loved the beta and liked its (non-Invasion) maps, none of them were instant classics.
Agreed. Overlook was my favorite of the ones we got to play, and I only enjoyed Invasion when I got to play as an Elite. Powerhouse was decent, but I hope I don't see it in MM that often. Sword Base...

I really hope that the remakes aren't the best maps Reach has to offer (because Reflection looks incredible).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
broony said:

I would think the whole concept of invasion is too complex for forge, I hope I'm wrong though.

Hypertrooper said:

I'm hoping for more than two. That's going to be my favorite game mode I'm sure. Guess we will see.

PooBone

Letters said:
The whole thing looks odd, but the motion detection wave is what caught my eye mostly. Looks all fucked up.

This is how it's supposed to look:
nd5y1e.jpg

n5igs5.jpg

This is how it looks in that:
2mrteuv.jpg

Fake.

What is so odd about it? Looks right to me.

I think it looks real, and it's not like this is something that could have been easily reproduced. We've seen nothing like that geometry/color palette before in Reach
(forerunner)
I think it's real.

GhaleonEB said:
Invasion is forge-able.
We really need to know more, though. Is it just a series of hills you have to capture, or can you customize the Loadouts for each stage and have parts of the map unlock in sequence, with different vehicles appearing? And if so, how is it all handled?

MrBig

Shake Appeal said:
We really need to know more, though. Is it just a series of hills you have to capture, or can you customize the Loadouts for each stage and have parts of the map unlock in sequence, with different vehicles appearing? And if so, how is it all handled?
I'd expect an entire article explaining all of forge's new features, along with a an article dedicated to invasion the week before launch.

PooBone said:

I think it looks real, and it's not like this is something that could have been easily reproduced. We've seen nothing like that geometry/color palette before in Reach
(forerunner)
I think it's real.

Already been confirmed on the last page. Two back, if you are 50 ppp.

GhaleonEB

Shake Appeal said:
I'm assuming the options will be the same variables Bungie can toggle, just exposed to player input; that's the approach they took with Firefight and the AI, player trait, wave properties and load outs.

Being able to edit the object and area that needs to be captured, place the barriers that block off the map for each stage (and link they to the spaces to capture, teleporter-style), and adjust load outs in addition to the normal options. (We can place barriers in Forge World, so I assume these would be similar, just linked to the phases.)

Hopefully we can just set up a set number of load outs (five for each team) and then assign them to phases.

Whether the game types or objectives that comprise each round I'm not sure about.
MrBig said:
I'd expect an entire article explaining all of forge's new features, along with a an article dedicated to invasion the week before launch.
Yeah I'm expecting b.net content to start to explode a couple weeks before launch. The Guide will launch which will hopefully go into this kind of stuff.

PooBone

PooBone said:

(forerunner)
I think it's real.
Wow, just continued reading the thread.

Holy shit......

MrBig

Theres probably a round toggle in the advanced options where you can set it for round 1, 2, etc or for all rounds. You can also probably make vehicles and other things the data core.
I'm sure its nothing like guerrilla from Halo CE. That thing was a mess.

Lakitu

st5fu
GhaleonEB said:
...not around for the Halo 2 and Halo 3 leaks, I see. :p

(Or sarcasm sailed right over my head. As usual.)

Nah, no sarcasm. I don't remember that far back or maybe I didn't experience it. But GAF kept me warm and safe during the Mass Effect 2 leak. Was it that bad during those leaks?

GhaleonEB

Lakitu said:
Nah, no sarcasm. I don't remember that far back or maybe I didn't experience it. But GAF kept me warm and safe during the Mass Effect 2 leak. Was it that bad during those leaks?
Mods did a pretty good job enforcing spoiler tags, though there were a few kamakazi posters out to ruin it. Though, I managed to stay unspoiled for Halo 3. So it's actually reasonably safe.

The really funny part of the Halo 3 leak was when someone(s) started sending Live messages to all the regular posters in the Halo GAF threads with spoilers. And later, when people were blocking messages, changed their gamertag itself to be a spoiler and send friend invites, which can't be blocked. Dude was persistent.

Spoilers turned out to be wrong, too. They hadn't watched past the credits. :lol

big ander

Fuuuuuck.
Eazy got perma'd for that picture??
511001748_881f933034_o.gif

And the ending and most of the game are out in the wild? And that
Glacier pic was real??
4raqx.gif

(but really I'm just going into skim-only and no-highlighting mode)

Roche

AwesomeSyrup said:
I'm probably the only person here who wants to know the ending and I can't find it. Google failed me. :lol

Why would you want to know the ending to a story before you've played it? I can't see the logic in that.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
for some reason, i missed the halo 3 leaking stuff. must have been a busy time in my life, as i was really looking forward to it releasing and i'm not sure why i wouldnt have been at least lurking at gaf.

but the halo 2 leak, that was amazing. i had a friend who got the french version call me one afternoon and i totally didnt believe him, but cruised over and lo and behold, it was true. i watched him play through the whole fucking game that day, i just couldnt pull myself away from spoiling it! :lol at least the VA was terrific, even in french!

concerning this youtube video with the final maps... i wish i hadnt seen it and confirmed
that that earlier picture of glacier was real - it looked so fake!
seems like a pretty huge "twist" in the campaigns story, not that it wasnt unexpected though. looks incredible though, and should play quite differently then anything else. boardwalk looks interesting, but we saw that in the gamestop video. countdown should have been obvious what it was, lol. like someone else mentioned, i dont have any sense of the layout or how it will play based on the flyby.

in all, i think i'll have to be very careful clicking links now and even browsing this thread.

MrBig

AwesomeSyrup said:
Knowing the story doesn't make the game any less fun to play.
It'll be fun yeah, but the point of having a campaign is unraveling the story and mystery piece by piece, knowing that the planet will be glassed is enough.

Roche178 said:
Why would you want to know the ending to a story before you've played it? I can't see the logic in that.
Me neither. I want it to be as fresh as possible for my first playthrough. I managed to miss any spoilers for H3, but then again I wasn't really part of any message boards.

AwesomeSyrup said:
Knowing the story doesn't make the game any less fun to play.
It does for me, especially in this case. Yeah, any Halo fan will know how Reach ends, but spoiling particulars of gameplay and it's storyline in the campaign is what I'm trying to avoid.

Top Bottom