• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach & Bungie at GamesCom 2010

Mik2121

wwm0nkey said:
Covie firefight map :D

45253_415860906343_13905281343_4940171_4667051_n.jpg

LINK
That looks quite pretty :)

Damn Emile's lines were so terrible.

Animation looked amazing though, game looks gorgeous.

Interestingly, I think I'm kind of De-hyped about the story in this one, the opposite of my reactions to H3. I think bungies philosophie here of "fitting the story to some cool events" will hurt the story arc, but it's going to lead to some amazing, replayable scenarios.

Flipyap

Blueblur1 said:
That's not a vidoc, it's a trailer with some recycled footage. Meh.
Just like the ODST "vidoc" with Buck narrating the team's bios. I liked all the new footage, but the voice-over was embarrassingly corny.

Sai-kun said:
Get the Live Thread Updater thing. Works very well for threads like these!
Link please? This sounds like a Forumer's Holy Grail. :)

Whoops, sorry, Am just woke and catching up through the pages. Found the Linky Thanks!

Louis Wu said:
Recycled? What... you've seen this stuff before?

To be fair, there were quite a few shots taken from earlier trailers, and the voice over descriptions of each Spartan also sounded identical to what was written about the characters on Bungie.net months ago.

I also don't see why it's been called a ViDoc instead of a trailer.

Blueblur1

Louis Wu said:
Recycled? What... you've seen this stuff before?
I was being sarcastic... But there are multiple shots in environments we've seen before and some are straight out of previous footage.

Photolysis said:
I also don't see why it's been called a ViDoc instead of a trailer.
This too.

Wizman23

Banned
Blueblur1 said:
I just woke up!

Anyway, it was all fancy and whatnot but I really want to see more gameplay in new locales. That night vision bit was sweet.

We have already seen 4 of 10 levels from the campaign. I guess you want the entire game spoiled??

wwm0nkey

Shake Appeal said:
Hey, urk, I have a blog where I review games. Gimme press copy download code, I'll sign whatever you want.
I think you have to go through Microsoft for that one, im already in the process of trying to get one for my blog aswell.

Chinner

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
Hey, urk, I have a blog where I review games. Gimme press copy download code, I'll sign whatever you want.
Hey Urk, me too. We only get like 20 views a month but I feel this this will change everything.

Arnie

Shake Appeal said:
And that's being unfair to GoW, really.
Honestly Gears gets a bad rap in the story department despite them trying to do some ambitious stuff with the last game. The dialogue between Marcus and Dom isn't bad either, it's just when Cole turns up that people get their panties crossed, as if they think people in a war are going to speak in Shakespearian English.

I thought that trailer was spot on, really don't understand the disappointment. We caught glimpses of environments we have yet to see (
The flaming area with the massive airborn melee
) and we saw a slew of new cinematics, not to mention a brief clip of gameplay which I never expected them to show less than a month out. There is also the
Halsey and Cortana section and the reveal that Noble 6 is the only spartan to receive a "highly lethal" rating other than the Master Chief himself.

The trailer got me hyped.

wwm0nkey said:
I think you have to go through Microsoft for that one, im already in the process of trying to get one for my blog aswell.
Who do I have to blow? I'll put some Xbox ads in my banner if they want.

Louis Wu

wwm0nkey said:
Heh - if HBO doesn't qualify, I'm guessing your blog won't either. :lol

The Vidoc/Trailer Argument
This came up last year with ODST too.
I can't exactly recall but I believe Bungie said that their word 'Vidoc' means an audio visual experience, not just a documentary-esc piece featuring devs talking about the game.

I disagreed then and disagree now. They set a precedence and expectation in the community as to what a vidoc would be, then suddenly changed that.

-------------------
It was a neat video, thank you Bungie, so much, for putting Jen Taylor in the game.
It means alot to me.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Zeouterlimits said:
The Vidoc/Trailer Argument
This came up last year with ODST too.
I can't exactly recall but I believe Bungie said that their word 'Vidoc' means an audio visual experience, not just a documentary-esc piece featuring devs talking about the game.

I disagreed then and disagree now. They set a precedence and expectation in the community as to what a vidoc would be, then suddenly changed that.

-------------------
It was a neat video, thank you Bungie, so much, for putting Jen Taylor in the game.
It means alot to me.

np

Who was she talking to at the end?

I bet it is Cortana. Great minds think alike. Looks like Bungie really has an amazing game in store for us.

Glad I pre-ordered the uber edition :D

szaromir

Banned
Shouldn't Halsey know nothing of Spartan-III program? Wasn't Jorge supposed to be black by the way?
Anyway, comparison to Master Chief gave me goosebumps for some reason.

God's Beard said:
http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=30617

What the hell, I thought Forge World was supposed to be awesome. No Chiron? This was a real selling point to me. I'll just wait and buy it used or trade with somebody. Bleh.

Aww man... :[

Only hope of ever seeing a Chiron TL34 remake is through direct Bungie channels now.

Think of the way Sandbox changed Halo 3. A Forge World Expansion/DLC seems completely possible, even if that expansion only does one thing (up the teleporter object count to 30 for just a single map) I would pay for it.

szaromir said:
Shouldn't Halsey know nothing of Spartan-III program?
Yeah, I didn't get this either.
She knows every SII so she couldn't think the SIIIs of Noble are SIIs and she only discovers SIIIs
when she gets on Onyx. Obviously after Reach falls.
Either there's a good explanation or they'll retcon the fuck out of Ghosts of Onyx.

Anyway, that's embarassingly dorky but I'm glad Halsey appears at last.

After I bagged on the bad lines, I watched the trailer a few more times. The scene with 5 hunters charging looks so terrifying. Seing Dr. Halsley and Jen Parks revising her role is awesome. It's also kind of cool to see some of those firefight spaces in the campaign.

At the end she hints that the AI she's speaking to is another clone of her, that's pretty awesome. Maybe she will be playing Auntie Dot.

Cynar

electricpirate said:
At the end she hints that the AI she's speaking to is another clone of her, that's pretty awesome. Maybe she will be playing Auntie Dot.

it's Cortana most likely, not a clone

Mikasangelos said:
"So you've made your choice, yes well, great minds do think alike."

was this a reference to Cortana?

I think so

I'm just going to spoiler tag all of this post:lol

EazyB

Banned
Sweet video. I've slowly gotten interested in seeing more about these spartans as they're well animated and seem pretty lively in the footage so far. I'm a sucker for mystery and discovery so I'm still hoping the story will deliver something unexpected but it's not a big deal.

4 hunters at once?! I hope that's not just a cutscene, I want to dancing between those fuckers, weaving in and out to place sniper shots between their ribs. Was hoping to see some footage of that huge-creature pictured so long ago or any other new AI for that matter but they didn't show anything to differentiate the new scarab and no wildlife. So also hoping for a feature reveal. The nightvision looked pretty nifty but I stand by my previous statements that it adds nothing to the gameplay and just acts as a visual filter, give me flashlight please.

Hope to see a shit-ton of MP footage from gamescon, hopefully people care enough to capture it this time, even from shaky-cams. And that covie firefight map looks alright, I just wish they'd dedicate more resources to traditional MP maps if they're really only delivering 9 MP maps and 6+ firefight maps. A mere fraction of the people playing Reach 6 months from launch will be touching firefight (unless vs firefight is spectacular) so it seems like a really wonky distribution.

cazosozey

Cuban Legend said:
Aww man... :[

Only hope of ever seeing a Chiron TL34 remake is through direct Bungie channels now.

Think of the way Sandbox changed Halo 3. A Forge World Expansion/DLC seems completely possible, even if that expansion only does one thing (up the teleporter object count to 30 for just a single map) I would pay for it.

Well I see a pixel by pixel remake is out of the question with forge, but one could hope for a DLC remake from Bungie. But I think the current forge could be used to make a Chiron that works for Reach. I mean 15 teleporters is still a bunch. Cheer up Cuban!

szaromir

Banned
Palette Swap said:
She already appeared in Halo Legends, but she looked like Samus Aran there. In Reach she should look like a granny, but in the trailer she appears to be 35 years old (or so). Bungie stretch cohesiveness of their universe a bit thin.
it's Cortana most likely, not a clone
Wasn't Cortana with Master Chief at the time?

Mikasangelos said:
"So you've made your choice, yes well, great minds do think alike."

was this a reference to Cortana?

I think the AI this time around is Auntie Dot, it sounds like Dot may be another clone of Halsle.

Palette Swap said:
Yeah, I didn't get this either.
She knows every SII so she couldn't think the SIIIs of Noble are SIIs and she only discovers SIIIs
when she gets on Onyx. Obviously after Reach falls.
Either there's a good explanation or they'll retcon the fuck out of Ghosts of Onyx.

I thought she first found out about the Spartan IIIs on Reach, when accessing Ackerson's files.

wwm0nkey

You guys know how Halsey said Kat was curious? I wonder
if curiosity will kill the kat
:lol

[yes I am aware how lame that is]

CrazedArabMan said:
Don't know if it was mentioned, but at around 2:30, does
that picture on the screen by Carter look like Keyes? If so, :D :D :D :D
Don't think so.

You can see a name reversed underneath the picture. Col. U Hofland? Or something?

Top Bottom