• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach & Bungie at GamesCom 2010

EazyB

Banned
szaromir said:
She already appeared in Halo Legends, but she looked like Samus Aran there. In Reach she should look like a granny, but in the trailer she appears to be 35 years old (or so). Bungie stretch cohesiveness of their universe a bit thin.
Halsey_Legends.jpg

vs
aai2qp.jpg

And Bungie probably had little to do with Legends.

cazosozey said:
Well I see a pixel by pixel remake is out of the question with forge, but one could hope for a DLC remake from Bungie. But I think the current forge could be used to make a Chiron that works for Reach. I mean 15 teleporters is still a bunch. Cheer up Cuban!

It's 30 Bidirectional Teleporters, 15 channels.

And so, that Wizard/Warlock Remake better be the best damn Wizard/Warlock Remake I've ever seen.

Gui_PT said:
That was SO AWESOME!!

Is it me, or is it really obvious that Emile is black? :lol
Well, he'll be dying first...

Pretty sweet video (Letters,
get on that shot of Emile blasting his way down the hall
, please. :D). I didn't think it was terribly spoilery, and I'm trying to shy away from a lot of campaign stuff. Can't wait to see what else is coming today.

szaromir said:
She already appeared in Halo Legends, but she looked like Samus Aran there. In Reach she should look like a granny, but in the trailer she appears to be 35 years old (or so). Bungie stretch cohesiveness of their universe a bit thin.
35?! :lol

If any women of that age read this thread, you would offend them.

Also, Halsey has spent much of her 'life' in cryo, which slows down the ageing process considerably.

szaromir

Banned
BTW - I'm not a native English speaker and I'm not sure I get a line at 2:15 - "six has made entire militia(?) groups disappear" - did I get it correctly? What is Halsey referring to?

Also, Halsey has spent much of her 'life' in cryo, which slows down the ageing process considerably.
You don't have silky smooth skin when you're 50. She appears a bit fat, but that might be because of the winter jacket, which tend to make people look fatter. Also, she had gray hair in 2551.

Louis Wu

szaromir said:
BTW - I'm not a native English speaker and I'm not sure I get a line at 2:15 - "six has made entire militia(?) groups disappear" - did I get it correctly? What is Halsey referring to?
I'm guessing he worked to clear Insurrectionists before fighting the Covenant. You got it correctly.

Cynar

szaromir said:

Six has made entire groups of enemies disappear if you want it to be more simplistic. Rebels/Insurrectionists, covenant.

GhaleonEB

Zeouterlimits said:
The Vidoc/Trailer Argument
This came up last year with ODST too.
I can't exactly recall but I believe Bungie said that their word 'Vidoc' means an audio visual experience, not just a documentary-esc piece featuring devs talking about the game.

I disagreed then and disagree now. They set a precedence and expectation in the community as to what a vidoc would be, then suddenly changed that.
When the first vidoc came out, Frankie defined it as "visual documentary". Urk's more recent definition was a shift from the original intent. Which is fine, it's their term. But I also think of "vidoc" as describing behind the scenes stuff; this was a trailer. A great trailer, but a trailer.

Lots of good stuff in there. As with the cinematic ad spot, visually it's spectacular. There's a richness to the color pallet that fits in very well, making it darker in tone yet still with that Halo vibrancy and range. And I hope the five+ Hunter encounter is not just a cinematic.

Also, Halsey's animation at the end was great; her movement and lip syncing to the dialog was spot-on. Such a huge leap from ODST/Halo 3.

Here's hoping a ton of information on MP custom options and Theater comes out of GamesCom, those are two areas Bungie hasn't really talked about yet.

szaromir said:
Edit: beaten repeatedly.

That's right. 'Militia' means unaffiliated soldiers (i.e. anyone who fights who isn't technically part of an army). The reference here is presumably to Noble Six's actions against the Insurrectionists. As far as I am aware, the Insurrection was still taking place in the years leading up to the fall of Reach.

Shake Appeal said:

I was
not really
offended, and I'm a guy of over 35. :lol

szaromir said:
You don't have silky smooth skin when you're 50. She appears a bit fat, but that might be because of the winter jacket, which tend to make people look fatter. Also, she had gray hair in 2551.

She doesn't have silky smooth skin. Good god, you people nitpicks.

szaromir

Banned
Thanks for the answers. I might need to read some Halo novels again, I read Fall of Reach, First Strike and Ghost of Onyx years ago, I don't remember too many details now and several new ones came out. Hopefully they're cheap on Amazon.
squidhands said:
I was
not really
offended, and I'm a guy of over 35. :lol
Read my edit in the latest post.

Popeck

Shake Appeal said:

Yeah, she doesn't look too young. But nevertheless, complaining about a woman looking a little bit too young is kind of weird when there are much more unbelievable things afoot, e.g. faster than light travel and time travel, multiple alien species fighting mankind and so on.

szaromir said:
BTW - I'm not a native English speaker and I'm not sure I get a line at 2:15 -
"six has made entire militia(?) groups disappear"
- did I get it correctly? What is Halsey referring to?

Spoilering just to play safe, not a huge spoiler or anything.

Most likely Noble Six (the playable character, you) has been deployed on missions against the insurrectionists before. In Halo: Evolutions there's a story about Headhunters, two man Spartan teams that are used in difficult missions, operating in secret. I'd think Noble Six has that kind of history.

Phatcorns

szaromir said:

Wasn't Cortana with Master Chief at the time?

I don't know how many 35 year olds you know, but she looks much older than 35 in that picture.

GarthVaderUK said:
I thought she first found out about the Spartan IIIs on Reach, when accessing Ackerson's files.
She does. Or at least posits the project's existence and what it is all about. But she has it confirmed only later.
There's stilll a world between
reading about it in Ackerson's files
and
"hey I've been watching over those awesome Spartan-IIIs from Noble all along"

Anyway, I really don't want to be that sad continuity anal guy and I'll most likely enjoy the hell out of what looks to be a ridiculously cool ride.

neoism

Oozer3993 said:
If I'm reading the code right, those are captions for some videos that will be put up on the site. So if you're at Spoiler Level Beta* (only looking at official materials) you're probably ok to highlight it.

Oozer's Trademark Pending Spoiler Levels:

Alpha: The Man Who Knows Nothing. Won't look at anything, even officially released. Curses urk's verbosity and silently wishes the Weekly Updates to be nothing more than Blame Stosh.
Beta: Close your eyes Marion! Will watch and read anything officially released, but treats spoiler text like the Ark of the Covenant.
Gamma: I didn't make the Brinks truck crash, but I couldn't just let the bundles of cash sit on the road. Won't actively seek out spoilers, but if they happen upon them, they won't fight the urge to peruse.
Delta: I can quit any time I want! Has worn out his Google searching for spoilers. Has fought the urge to visit the seedier parts of the internet for a fix.
Epsilon: We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot, drink up me hearties yo ho! Actively searches for torrents. Will probably be banned from B.net for a flippant "Oh yeah, the Master Chief dies" type comment. Has multiple x's in Gamertag has debated moving to France.
:lol :lol Great post Oozer..

GhaleonEB said:
Engineers. :D
This saddens me, because I don't like killing them. :(

Edit: but wow that video sucks. AR charge out the yay-yo, and it must be set to Easy because the player is just standing in the middle of a field of plasma and not dying.

Edit 2: Oh God, the long-range shotgunning..

neoism

Mik2121 said:
I made another 'character' for my comic template (that I might or might not use ever for an actual comic :p)

lCm29.png

It's already avatar-sized in case someone wants it.
wait you drew those other character's in the other thread.. if so you art style is BOSS.

chess

I really don't know much about Halo story. Even though I've played all the games. I thought Cortana was Hasley in digital form? lol, looks great though!

neoism

Letters said:
Oh shit yes, ghost of reach! B===D~~

Can't wait for the monument to go live. I hope it includes a bunch of live action clips like in the odst site, those had surprisingly decent budget for something that was pretty much hidden.

Bungie probably isn't. This belongs to the Microsoft/343 marketing campaign.
Really?!... :( I love Marty's music pretty much everything. Even the music in that trailer no one liked, but I would think Marty would incorporate some old theme's in new music for Reach's END. I mean this is the last Halo game guys... :(

And as talked about in the other thread, about the "wish" for some kind of secret Chief mission... like the one in the book... It would be the best thing ever. I can't hope to much though.. :/

szaromir

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
Are you watching in 720p? Her face is pretty lined.
OK, now I have and I'm admitting to making a mistake.

Yeah, she doesn't look too young. But nevertheless, complaining about a woman looking a little bit too young is kind of weird when there are much more unbelievable things afoot, e.g. faster than light travel and time travel, multiple alien species fighting mankind and so on.
Those things are all parts of Halo's canon, the same way Halsey being old is. I don't think travelling faster than light in vacuum is possible, but I'll accept a space opera where that's possible.

chess said:
I really don't know much about Halo story. Even though I've played all the games. I thought Cortana was Hasley in digital form? lol, looks great though!

It's not far off. Cortana is a sentient AI, which was made by basically cloning Halsley's intelligence.

Cynar

neoism said:
Really?!... :( I love Marty's music pretty much everything. Even the music in that trailer no one liked, but I would think Marty would incorporate some old theme's in new music for Reach's END. I mean this is the last BUNGIE Halo game guys... :(

fixed, let's just hope 343 can live up to what Bungie has accomplished

Looks like hunters are still the annoying-never-die versions from Halo2/3/ODST and the brutes still look ridiculously stupid with armor that just doesn't fit their mentality. I've always hated brutes anyway, so I guess it's all moot.

Mik2121

neoism said:
wait you drew those other character's in the other thread.. if so you art style is BOSS.
Hey! Yeah, I did those as well. Glad you liked them, hahaha! :p I also did another drawing of a Hunter riding a Ghost that's on this thread.

I'm still looking for more ideas for Halo stuff to draw... Any suggestions?

Hydranockz said:
At :35 does he stick the grunt with the frag? o_O

He throws the grenade, but then the light from the nade stays with the grunt as he runs. Maybe the grunts can catch grenades and try to bring them back to you, like on-the-fly suicide grunts?

But he didn't get a sticky medal.

Genesis Knight said:
He throws the grenade, but then the light from the nade stays with the grunt as he runs. Maybe the grunts can catch grenades and try to bring them back to you, like on-the-fly suicide grunts?

Daaamn, it may be this!

Mik2121 said:
Hey! Yeah, I did those as well. Glad you liked them, hahaha! :p I also did another drawing of a Hunter riding a Ghost that's on this thread.

I'm still looking for more ideas for Halo stuff to draw... Any suggestions?

A Brute and a Grunt, like a Lorel and Hardy kind of thing!

Top Bottom