• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Campaign Trailer

Dani said:
Halo: Contact Harvest
Halo: The Fall of Reach
Halo: The Cole Protocol
Halo: The Flood
Halo: First Strike
Halo: Ghosts of Onyx
Halo: Evolutions
Why do you have Cole Protocol after Fall of Reach? Cole Protocol takes place in 2535.

Anyway, just got back from Barnes and Noble with the new Fall of Reach. Imma gonna start reading it sometime today. It includes an advertisement for Greg Bear's Forerunner novel ("Coming this fall!") in the back.

Circle T

Dax01 said:
Why do you have Cole Protocol after Fall of Reach? Cole Protocol takes place in 2535.
So, with "Cole Protocol" before "Fall of Reach" in that list Dani gave me, would that be the correct chronological order?

Louis Wu

Circle T said:
So, with "Cole Protocol" before "Fall of Reach" in that list Dani gave me, would that be the correct chronological order?
Well, sort of - Evolutions spans most of the novels, so could go anywhere, I guess.

I'm not sure reading them in chronological order makes a lot of sense, though; most were written with the implicit understanding that material in previously-written novels was out there already, so reading them in the order they were WRITTEN might be a better idea.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Dax01 said:

The events at the beginning of the Fall of Reach explain the Spartan II project and set up the general characters of the Spartans pretty well.

Even though the later events in the novel led directly in the games and far ahead of the events of Cole Protocol, I think it would be better read in that order so a reader gets to know the background of the Spartans a bit better.

It's just a personal preference - not everyone prefers a strict chronological order for reading.

Louis Wu said:
Well, sort of - Evolutions spans most of the novels, so could go anywhere, I guess.

I'm not sure reading them in chronological order makes a lot of sense, though; most were written with the implicit understanding that material in previously-written novels was out there already, so reading them in the order they were WRITTEN might be a better idea.

This is a viable alternative. Not my preference but it makes a lot of sense.

GhaleonEB said:
Speaking of remixes, if anyone missed this thread on the OT, you've been deprived.

Incompetent Cartographer series has been wonderful, hopefully the Bungie playtest squad pops it back out to Urk sooner rather than later.
I was in tears the first time I listened to that.

Yeah, IC has been great. Hopefully we'll get to play on it at some point; I'm very curious of urk's map-making skillz.

Louis Wu said:

Agreed with Wu here. While not "vital", certainly helps.

Circle T

Louis Wu said:

Yea, I kind of figured that about Evolutions. And I guess that would make sense about the others. If there is little info in them that you are supposed to have read in the earlier books, release order seems to be the right way for me.

Thanks everyone for the input.

EazyB

Banned
squidhands said:
Yeah, IC has been great. Hopefully we'll get to play on it at some point; I'm very curious of urk's map-making skillz.
Yup, it's been good stuff and a completely unexpected feature. The only thing that disappoints me is that we didn't get to glimpse into the mind of Urk to see all of what he was thinking as he designed his map. That may be for the best though.

Still waiting on the reveal of the submission process though, hope it's still coming.

Schmitty said:
Well it's not the HaloGaf beta montage, but I did one myself recounting some of my cool moments from Halo 3. I always wanted to do this before Reach came out. Tell me what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu87Kyr5sn0
I don't mean to poop on you but I think you could've selected better clips. It didn't really differentiate itself from your typical MLG montage in that the majority of it was just BR, snipes, and sticks; the only difference is that none of that stuff was all that impressive, lots of typical single and double kills. Would've preferred to see more clips like the flying warthog, goose drop, or GAF game clips to make it feel more personal.

I can't remember who made it but there was a video quite a while back by a GAFer of some ordinary BTB match on Valhalla but shot really well to capture what makes it fun.

All that said, I ordered a capture card a couple days ago so once I start making terrible montages you can get back at me. :lol

Schmitty

EazyB said:
I don't mean to poop on you but I think you could've selected better clips. It didn't really differentiate itself from your typical MLG montage in that the majority of it was just BR, snipes, and sticks; the only difference is that none of that stuff was all that impressive, lots of typical single and double kills. Would've preferred to see more clips like the flying warthog, goose drop, or GAF game clips to make it feel more personal.

I can't remember who made it but there was a video quite a while back by a GAFer of some ordinary BTB match on Valhalla but shot really well to capture what makes it fun.

All that said, I ordered a capture card a couple days ago so once I start making terrible montages you can get back at me. :lol
No problem, now next time I can take everything into consideration. I don't enough clips from GAF games so I really just took what I had and played around with it last night. I wasn't intending it to be a show of skill anyway. Most of those no scopes are pure luck anyway! :lol

I'm definitely already planning a vehicle carnage montage for Reach, so this time I can plan ahead. I never intended on making this montage until like 3 days ago, so I didn't really have much to work with

Dani said:
The events at the beginning of the Fall of Reach explain the Spartan II project and set up the general characters of the Spartans pretty well.

Even though the later events in the novel led directly in the games and far ahead of the events of Cole Protocol, I think it would be better read in that order so a reader gets to know the background of the Spartans a bit better.

It's just a personal preference - not everyone prefers a strict chronological order for reading.
Ah. Got you. I guess I was only thinking about FoR only when Reach actually falls.
urk said:
Who said there wouldn't be some news today?
Oh. So there is going to be news today? I hope I'm not reading into this the wrong way.:lol

DualX

Update: Won't be going to PAX, unfortunately. I have training up through that point so I wouldn't be able to go even if I wanted to. Own those noobs on the floor for me, Eazy. I'll just make it up by taking the whole week off when Reach comes out.

Anyway, I really had no interest in getting anything other than the regular version of Reach (which would be the first time in history) so I went ahead and pre-ordered the console bundle instead. Wanted a slim anyhow, glad I waited. :D

EazyB

Banned
Schmitty said:
No problem, now next time I can take everything into consideration. I don't enough clips from GAF games so I really just took what I had and played around with it last night. I wasn't intending it to be a show of skill anyway. Most of those no scopes are pure luck anyway! :lol

I'm definitely already planning a vehicle carnage montage for Reach, so this time I can plan ahead. I never intended on making this montage until like 3 days ago, so I didn't really have much to work with
No need to do anything other than what you want to do, I was just speaking from a totally selfish perspective. These are the four types of montages I enjoy: impressive, unique, goofy, or GAF ownage montages. Even if that exact montage personifies your Halo 3 experience than you should make that montage so you can look back at it and get all nostalgic, that's why I made my chop-tage, for my own benefit. :D

DualX said:
Update: Won't be going to PAX, unfortunately. I have training up through that point so I wouldn't be able to go even if I wanted to. Own those noobs on the floor for me, Eazy. I'll just make it up by taking the whole week off when Reach comes out.
That's a shame, man. I'll shout out, "this one's from Dual" every other dong.

EazyB

Banned
urk said:
Yup yup, that's the one, thanks for the link. Very well put together and fun to watch despite there being nothing inherently impressive about the play.

Edit: Oops, I was actually thinking about this montage. It's still a Phatcorns Joint in the same vein.

DualX said:
Video footage. I needs it.
I'll try to remember to bring my shitty handicam to capture any GAF shenaniganry. Not sure how many people are goin though, could be a very tame PAX.

Mik2121

Oohh.. I just checked, and the Limited Edition with the Recon Helmet is also available here in Japan. I already pre-ordered it :D

Schmitty

EazyB said:
No need to do anything other than what you want to do, I was just speaking from a totally selfish perspective. These are the four types of montages I enjoy: impressive, unique, goofy, or GAF ownage montages. Even if that exact montage personifies your Halo 3 experience than you should make that montage so you can look back at it and get all nostalgic, that's why I made my chop-tage, for my own benefit. :D

That's a shame, man. I'll shout out, "this one's from Dual" every other dong.
Exactly, the nostalgia was a big motivation to do it. It's going to be weird watching that after playing Reach after a while

Mik2121

Great Cartographer 5 entry. BTW there was one thing at the end that gave me an idea..

The real story is that Riptide isn't really set up for 2v2. It's just too big.

Wouldn't it be great if there was some option to create barriers (like those blue barriers in Halo 3's Forge) that disappear when the number of people in the game is over 'x' amount?.
That way you could make a somewhat large map, but create limits so it's smaller when there's only like 4 people playing..

It could be a bit messy to set it up, though.. but hey, just an idea.

zumphry

Banned
Dani said:
Halo: Contact Harvest
Halo: The Fall of Reach
Halo: The Cole Protocol
Halo: The Flood
Halo: First Strike
Halo: Ghosts of Onyx
Halo: Evolutions

Anyone remember the box set that had the first four books in it that was out before/around the same time as Contact Harvest? I really hope there's a new one with the re-released versions plus Harvest, Protocol and Evolutions sometime soon (and any of the upcoming ones if they're out by then). Can't seem to find any of the books I have, and I stopped reading Cole Protocol a bit before the end. :/

Tashi0106 said:
Nice, I haven't trolled a Bnet thread in months!

edit: Damn, it's been locked :((((((((((

I bet there's plenty of threads there that can be trolled. In fact, I think I'll go check since I'm bored enough. :lol

Fake edit: Yay cartography!

EazyB

Banned
Mik2121 said:
Great Cartographer 5 entry. BTW there was one thing at the end that gave me an idea..

Wouldn't it be great if there was some option to create barriers (like those blue barriers in Halo 3's Forge) that disappear when the number of people in the game is over 'x' amount?.
That way you could make a somewhat large map, but create limits so it's smaller when there's only like 4 people playing..

It could be a bit messy to set it up, though.. but hey, just an idea.
I suppose it would make things a tad more efficient but now that the content limit has been pumped to 1k there's nothing stopping you from creating a huge GAF Map and going into forge to put the barriers, then saving each one as GAF Map 2v2, GAF Map 4v4, etc.

I must stop playing Blazblue: Calamity Trigger. I'm really jealous when i read the tweets from sai_kun.

The Incompetent Cartographer article shows me that noobs like me able to create amazing maps with forge 2.0. Thx urk

This may have already been answered before... but you know how each part of a map has a call out? (i.e. generator floor 1)

Can we rename our own callouts in forge as well and set the boundaries? Or is it whatever was on the map itself prior?

Hey You said:
Wow, too big for 2v2 and you have over $6,000 lef?!. Sweet baby Jesus, I cannot wait to get my mitts on this.

Major Williams said:
This may have already been answered before... but you know how each part of a map has a call out? (i.e. generator floor 1)

Can we rename our own callouts in forge as well and set the boundaries? Or is it whatever was on the map itself prior?
I think it was addressed previously (the answer would be no, no custom callouts). I think it has to do with not being able to filter out all of the bad names that would invariably appear in custom maps.

"Dropped rockets at Sandy Vagina"

...something like that.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
squidhands said:
Wow, too big for 2v2 and you have over $6,000 lef?!. Sweet baby Jesus, I cannot wait to get my mitts on this.
Seriously. So psyched.

Hey You

squidhands said:

I think it was addressed previously (the answer would be no, no custom callouts). I think it has to do with not being able to filter out all of the bad names that would invariably appear in custom maps.

"Dropped rockets at Sandy Vagina"

...something like that.

Well it could be same as when your naming or editing the description of a Map/Screenshot, right? Using the Xbox Live text editor.

(I have no idea what I'm talking about, just babbling)

Sibylus

Banned
Anyone thinking that a Chiron remake with its teleporter-linked regions flung all across Forge World (far beyond motion tracker range) would be awesome?

EazyB

Banned
Hey You said:
Well it could be same as when your naming or editing the description of a Map/Screenshot, right?
Or it could be a mature rated game.

Speaking of names, I hope they have a way of sorting/organizing the map variant list. With up to 1k variants, a Halo 3 style random listing would be balls. This screen has me worried:

mapticles.jpg

The last to maps aren't on the disc and aren't in alphabetical order. :/

GhaleonEB

EazyB said:

Speaking of names, I hope they have a way of sorting/organizing the map variant list. With up to 1k variants, a Halo 3 style random listing would be balls. This screen has me worried:

mapticles.jpg

The last to maps aren't on the disc and aren't in alphabetical order. :/
I imagine when you have a large number of files on hand, the easiest way to get to them will be through the filters in the file browser, rather than pulling up the entire map list via the lobby.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Major Williams said:

No. That feature was planned but sadly cut. =\

EazyB said:
That's seriously how I feel when I couldn't put "sucks" or some other word like that in my fileshare.

If the reason they wiped a potentially GREAT feature is because of the inability to filter out words, that kind of irks me, given the rating of the game itself.

Major Williams said:
That's seriously how I feel when I couldn't put "sucks" or some other word like that in my fileshare.

If the reason they wiped a potentially GREAT feature is because of the inability to filter out words, that kind of irks me, given the rating of the game itself.
I'd imagine custom callouts would just be a huge pain to implement, both on our end and on Bungie's end. Doubt it was axed because of language issues- they can easily filter that sort of stuff and obviously nothing obscene would have made it into matchmaking.

Not a big loss anyways, we'll just have to use the old style callouts and actually remember the names.

Mik2121

angelkimne said:
Am I missing something or is that picture implying there are only 8 maps in the game (not including Forgeworld)?
Most likely, yeah. Maybe we get some surprise?.. dunno. But we will certainly get many via DLC. I can foresee that (and I'm not happy with it).

angelkimne said:
Am I missing something or is that picture implying there are only 8 maps in the game (not including Forgeworld)?
Yup :(

Pretty much confirmed too, since urk was real quick about shutting down some speculation we had about the number of Firefight maps, but has said absolutely nothing about this.

Still, Foreworld will create some unique spaces, but I imagine it will get visually dull pretty quick.

angelkimne said:

You're not missing anything, and there's three camps on this. 1) Wow, we're screwed 2) trust bungie it's going to be okay 3) there'll be more maps revealed later.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Mad Max said:
So why is overlook missing in that list? (or is that map ff only?)

I assume so because they were running Fire Fight work behind the scenes, pretty much we were playing Fire Fight VS/Generator Defense.

feel

5.jpg

Now this looks good. Valhalla-esque water. Maybe this is the water a certain someone kept saying was the same as Halo 3 (because Powerhouse/Beta water was clearly inferior to the one in Valhalla).

Also, the Forerunner pieces are looking really cool in these shots. They will stay fresh and pleasant to the eyes for muuuuch longer than the ugly sandbox ones. But I hope it doesn't all go to hell when we see it on our TVs and the jaggies are introduced.

Mik2121 said:
Most likely, yeah. Maybe we get some surprise?.. dunno. But we will certainly get many via DLC. I can foresee that (and I'm not happy with it).
Well, that's a bit of a sparse offering...
As long as they're varied and well-designed, I guess I can live with it.

GhaleonEB

Major Williams said:
I think at one point we had to wait a year and a half between map packs.
Remember the reasons why.

And while you could argue it's cheating when counting maps, I think the half dozen or so Forge World variants count as separate maps, given that they had five different spaces and stitched them together into one large map. What they won't have are different sky boxes or visual themes.

Top Bottom