• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Campaign Trailer

Mad Max

GhaleonEB said:
Firefight maps are not Forge-able, so they wouldn't show up in the Forge menu.

I know, I just never realised it was an FF map. :p

Seeing that list makes me worry that the maps will be spread a little thin across different gametypes though, since bungie now has to cram invasion, btb, slayer + one and two sided objective games in 9 maps, even if these gametypes don't overlap that much.
On the other hand it really depends on how good the maps are because honestly halo 3 shipped with more maps, but a lot of them weren't very good or just plain bad for most gametypes. (last resort, high ground,, Isolation, Snowbound, Epitaph) Also forge has improved a lot which makes it a lot easier to modify maps for different gametypes.

I don't know if they're actually paintings or they just look like it, but Halo games have some rad backdrops. See the cruiser in the second to last shot of the trailer.

Mik2121

Do you guys mind if I post something from Halo 3? The OT is sorta dead and it seems like everybody is just posting here, so..

Ok.. I know this is pretty stupid but you will have to forgive me, because I've been only playing with Theater mode for a week in Halo 3 / ODST, but..

check out this Grunt shadow:

n0wAA.png

Now check the full picture here for the shocking reality.

(
Now I'll expect everybody to come by and say that the shadow doesn't look like a grunt..
)

Parallax Scroll said:
I don't know if they're actually paintings or they just look like it, but Halo games have some rad backdrops. See the cruiser in the second to last shot of the trailer.
The one with the Spartan looking at it? Yeah, that's some amazing matte painting.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Mik2121 said:
Do you guys mind if I post something from Halo 3? The OT is sorta dead and it seems like everybody is just posting here, so..

Ok.. I know this is pretty stupid but you will have to forgive me, because I've been only playing with Theater mode for a week in Halo 3 / ODST, but..

check out this Grunt shadow:

n0wAA.png

Doesn't look like a grunt. Looks like a hunter.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Mik2121 said:

That shit got locked way before its time. RIP

Also, Happy Birthday Voc.

Also, sorry Sai-Kun for not joining. I was playing some MLG customs(which sucked) and then some playlist against some pros and semi pros(also sucked lol) I also got montage killed by Poweeezy. It sucked. I was under lobby in Construct at R1 and Poweezy lifted up close purple and sniped me as he was lifting. I'm sure you'll find that in his montage or top 10 list :lol

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Letters said:
Now this looks good. Valhalla-esque water. Maybe this is the water a certain someone kept saying was the same as Halo 3 (because Powerhouse/Beta water was clearly inferior to the one in Valhalla).

You can’t cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water.

GhaleonEB

Falagard said:
Absolutely! Happy birthday Voc!
Happy birthday, Voc. You've got the same birthday as my oldest daughter, who turned eight today. :D
squidhands said:
Holy crap, someone made a Reach trailer with the music from Inception. It syncs up beautifully.

link
A couple of odd choices, but otherwise very well cut together. But while I love the music it's quickly becoming the next "that track from the Two Towers trailer".

Falagard

GhaleonEB said:
But while I love the music it's quickly becoming the next "that track from the Two Towers trailer".

Haha. Yeah, but I always call it the "Requiem for a Dream" song which is where it originally comes from. Once you watch that movie you can't help but relate it back to that movie. Very powerful.

GhaleonEB

Falagard said:
Haha. Yeah, but I always call it the "Requiem for a Dream" song which is where it originally comes from. Once you watch that movie you can't help but relate it back to that movie. Very powerful.
I did knew where it was from, but that's where I originally heard it before it infected a hagillion youtube videos. Still need to see Requiem for a Dream; I I've heard nothing but great things about it, but I haven't been in the mood for depressing movies lately. Real life has been depressing enough!

One thing that trailer did highlight (again) was how gorgeous the Reach cinematics are.

GhaleonEB said:
Happy birthday, Voc. You've got the same birthday as my oldest daughter, who turned eight today. :D
Is this the one you gave a tarantula to? Did you give her another tarantula? :p

Edit: to clarify, I wish I had a tarantula when I was 8.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Looking for some folks willing to donate some eyeball time for proofreading a forthcoming article for Forward Unto Dawn.

I'll be finishing up the first draft later today/tomorrow. The structure of the article may change as I am still going over the best way of pacing it.

If you're willing to help out, send me a PM and I'll give you to the details when the first draft is ready.

didn't watch it for spoilers but I listened to it while minimized. Bungie needs to license that track for a similar style TV-Ad. I'd imagine it would bring in tons of Reach interest.

Holy fucking shit. FINALLY. We were winning as Vhfive joined the game, so we still really won.

Blue team are a bunch of jerks for keeping it going that long.:lol

Gui_PT

53 minutes Dax.

I'm going to fucking sleep.

ICLEv.jpg

And there's no way that game counted! I was going to kill the flag carrier and vhfive showed up and got in my way.

That game was a tie. Shut up. :lol

duk said:
he's holding a dog tag, noble 1 dies and u take over??
I would love love love Bungie if
Noble team was killed off one by one until you were the only one able to finish their work: assisting the Pillar of Autumn to flee into slipspace. Then you enjoy a brief moment of peace alone on the surface of Reach just before the planet is glassed.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Shake Appeal said:
Noble team was killed off one by one until you were the only one able to finish their work: assisting the Pillar of Autumn to flee into slipspace. Then you enjoy a brief moment of peace alone on the surface of Reach just before the planet is glassed.

I still believe the "no more lone wolf stuff" is foreshadowing that will play out more or less like you said.

Lazslo said:
That game turned into an endurance contest. My fingahz hurt.

That's what she said.

Shake Appeal said:

Yes yes yes.

That needs to happen.

What better way to send the trilogy off with a bang?

Shake Appeal said:
Don't think we'll run afoul of the Pillar of Autumn at all- what I'm hoping for is maybe some generator defense alongside the Spartan-IIs. Shit would be epic.

Sibylus

Banned
metareferential said:
Yes yes yes.

That needs to happen.

What better way to send the trilogy off with a bang?
All in first person preferably, with waves of plasma creeping up and surrounding you to the sound of expanding air.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
FilthyLies said:
Don't think we'll run afoul of the Pillar of Autumn at all- what I'm hoping for is maybe some generator defense alongside the Spartan-IIs. Shit would be epic.

Might not run into the POA so to speak, but you can be damn certain that you will have a direct hand in allowing its escape.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Shake Appeal said:

I've always lusted over what the final scene would be and I hope it's this (I'll spoiler tag it even though I don't see a reason why):

It ends similar to the final scene (pre-credits) with Master Chief in Halo 3 where Noble 6 will sit down and lean against a rock holding the dog tags of Jorge, Carter, Kat and Jun in one hand and the screen slowly turns white with strong rumbling sounds in the background as the whole planet is destroyed.

It's good to see that we all agree on what the tone of the ending should be; at least for us.

And I'm confident Bungie will nail everything for this game.

If that little trailer is anything to go by, the campaign is going to be a blast.

If the Chief armor wasn't already green, it would have turned green with envy. :p

Louis Wu

Botolf said:
All in first person preferably, with waves of plasma creeping up and surrounding you to the sound of expanding air.
Screw that. No creeping. One giant plasma beam, smashing down onto Noble 6 as he looks out over the desolation. Quick, and final.

Alienshogun said:
Uhh, why?

There is every reason to tie Noble team to Chief and Halo 1. That would be a damn good way of doing it.
There's no need to connect Reach to the trilogy, and it would have to be a pretty contrived scenario to work in the first place. The Pillar of Autumn leaves before any of the serious ground action anyways- it deploys Spartans to defend the MAC generators, they get overrun, it picks up MC from the Circumference and jumps out of the system. The fighting on the surface of Reach continues for quite a while afterwards, as I remember.

Reach is looking to be a pretty self-contained story, I wouldn't expect many links besides a wink here or there for the fans.

zumphry

Banned
Shake Appeal said:

Botolf said:

Now I'm gonna be disappointed if these aren't anywhere near what the ending of Reach is going to be.

Especially Botolf's. Or what Mr. Wu just said.

Just needs plasma and I'm happy. :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
FilthyLies said:
There's no need to connect Reach to the trilogy, and it would have to be a pretty contrived scenario to work in the first place. The Pillar of Autumn leaves before any of the serious ground action anyways- it deploys Spartans to defend the MAC generators, they get overrun, it picks up MC from the Circumference and jumps out of the system. The fighting on the surface of Reach continues for quite a while afterwards, as I remember.

Reach is looking to be a pretty self-contained story, I wouldn't expect many links besides a wink here or there for the fans.

I seem to remember in Halo 2 they say they got away right as the planet was being glassed.

All of the other games are connected, no reason Reach won't be.

I firmly believe in some way the POA/Master Chief and Noble team will interact somehow.

Regardless, we will see what's what next month.

FilthyLies said:

I think it would hurt the story of the Spartans of Noble Team to not tie in somehow to Master Chief. Kind of like how, since ODST's story doesn't have any impact on the way the trilogy unfolds, it's hurt by that.

Any other GAF'ers planning on attending the Midnight launch for Reach in Seattle?

It would be cool to plan something so we could all meet up (same with PAX).

Gui_PT said:
53 minutes Dax.

[]http://imgur.com/ICLEv.jpg[/IMG]

And there's no way that game counted! I was going to kill the flag carrier and vhfive showed up and got in my way.

I had 22 fucking flag grabs :p It was only a matter of time :lol Fucking epic match though.

You can find a hole and bury yourself with that sniper whenever you want gui :lol

Sai-kun

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
Reminds me of the end of The Flood book! I liked that.

Falagard

Dax01 said:
I think it would hurt the story of the Spartans of Noble Team to not tie in somehow to Master Chief. Kind of like how, since ODST's story doesn't have any impact on the way the trilogy unfolds, it's hurt by that.

In defense of ODST ... it rocks so I don't care if it impacts the trilogy. I loved that campaign.

Dax01 said:
I think it hurts the universe at large when they feel that every important story has to relate to Master Chief. Yeah, he's important, but not everything important relates to him.

If they wanted to tell a story more closely related to the Chief, they would have told the story of Blue team and the Spartan-IIs, which is intimately related. By creating a new cast with minimal ties to the MC, I think they're trying to move away from "Master Chief is the only important person in this universe" syndrome. Having Noble Team's goal be just to make sure he escapes would definitely undermine that, as well as somewhat cheapen their own story, which has been hyped up as something worth seeing.

Maybe we'll play some defense around the PoA in the space sequence, but I can't see them going for more heavyhanded connections.

Perfect example: the space mission has you, in the Sabre, defending a space station. In the Fall of Reach, Master Chief boards a space station to destroy some nav data, while the Covenant try to capture it. MC is aboard Reach Station Gamma, while Noble 6 defends a station called Anchor 9. Super easy intersection point right there, if they wanted to go for it. INCREDIBLY easy, right over the middle of the plate. But Noble 6 isn't defending the Chief, he's doing his own thing. Hopefully, that's representative of the self-contained nature of the story.

Gui_PT said:
53 minutes Dax.

ICLEv.jpg

That game was awesome, probably the best flag game ive had in Halo. :lol

Vh you jerk you ruined it :/ - we were on the ropes for AGES but we were getting some nice opportunities so it could have gone either way.

Good game guys :p

Top Bottom