• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Devin Olsen said:
Swat is the worst thing to come to Halo.

I played Swat on Blood Gulch last night... I cannot think of a worse gametype to play on that map. -_-

Agreed. I was getting headshotted from across the map over and over by this one guy. I have a 100" screen and was having little success at these long distances.
Halo Community votes for crap gametypes in my experience. Either that or I have the crappy taste in gametypes.:lol

Raxus

Big-E said:
Going to start my solo legendary run. Not looking forward to a lot of the battles coming up. See how long this is going to take me. Anyone who has already finished it on Legendary have any tips?
Take it slow. Being OCD about clearing rooms works best in pushing through the harder levels. Snipe them with your usual guns and behind safe cover or at a safe distance so they don't engage you. Make sure to kill laser snipers fast since they are pests.

Plasma pistol + needle rifle, pistol, DMR. Use it. Elites are a SUPER pain in the ass to deal with ANY other way (aside from power weapons)

Needle rifle and needler are great on
brutes
use them when you find them and pick up your older gun to conserve ammo.

Use the right equipment at all times! It saves you a ton of effort and a lot of headaches if you go in with the right stuff.
(I HIGHLY recommend the active camo on mission 8)

If you can skip a battle with a jet pack or take an easier route do it. Tip of the Spear and the 10th mission are a little less painful if you just ignore the huge waves of enemies

pj

Banned
CloakedPuppet said:
Man - I just popped into this thread for the first time in a day or so and this was the first thing that caught my eye. That's pretty laughable stuff right there. :lol

I don't see how it's funny or stupid..

APB cost some ridiculous amount of money, but it still felt like a cheap pile of shit. Reach is obviously nothing like APB, but budget does not guarantee quality, nor does lack of budget preclude greatness. Even if Reach SP did cost more than 3's, some things (framerate, ghosting, friendly ai, voice acting) make it feel cheaper.

In out-of-my-ass terms, if they spent 10 million on halo 3's SP, I would guess than reach's cost 8 or 9.

As far as accents go. I know I blow this trumpet a lot, but this instance happened independent of me.

While I was playing for the first time, a buddy of mine (who I hadn't even really talked to about Reach) INDEPENDENTLY forayed:

Isn't it odd that Master Chief and Jorge were raised together as children separate from their parents, but Jorge still has an accent?

Jorge as a believable character went out the window. Suspension of disbelief discontinued. One of the few issues I had with the characters.

The other was with Kat. I began tuning her out once she had extended dialogue because of that accent mixed with her super science knowledge. Sounded like she was trying too hard to sound like a robot with an accent.

Chrange

Banned
TheUsual said:
I know I did it and that's what pisses me off. The reticule was red, held down the melee button and it went into the 3rd person view where it showed Noble 6 doing the kill. And then nothing, no achievement. After that, I said forget it to myself and moved on.
I think if you don't turn off sprint by hitting the LB again, it doesn't read you as having jumped from high enough.

TheUsual said:
I know I did it and that's what pisses me off. The reticule was red, held down the melee button and it went into the 3rd person view where it showed Noble 6 doing the kill. And then nothing, no achievement. After that, I said forget it to myself and moved on.
Here's the quote from the Reach FAQ
If your lunge is too forward it will slow your fall and this achievement will not be triggered as you are no longer traveling at a terminal velocity. Try lunging straight down on the target Elite’s head as you are falling so you don’t lose terminal velocity. This usually takes multiple attempts and can be tough to trigger. Don’t give up!

bathala

Banned
Finally played reach. I thought the graphics were ok from the vids, but now playing it. Looks beautiful. Also, liking the presentation. It's like an epic movie

RavenHawk

Talon- said:
Case in point: I get in the car with Kat, and she drove straight into a pillar of a bridge. Repeatedly.

A true comedy of errors.

Consider yourself lucky - she drove me off a cliff twice. I hoofed it after that.

Orodreth

DancingJesus said:
As for my favorite mission:

Long Night of Solace takes the cake. Fighting Elites in Zero G could not have been any more awesome.

That entire mission from
arriving at the beach to get to base to pilot the sabre in space to take the covenant corvette and ending with jorge´s sacrifice
is awesome.

The
falcon one is superb too mixing gameplay and then having that shocking scene at the end

And the last one possibly because of the story, great little twist although
i´m not sure but in "fall or reach" book the pillar of autumn was already in space when Reach was attacked. That´s when chief went to destroy data in an Oni ship with linda and sam i think while the rest of spartan-II landed to try to defend the MAC stations control posts

pj said:
I don't see how it's funny or stupid..

APB cost some ridiculous amount of money, but it still felt like a cheap pile of shit. Reach is obviously nothing like APB, but budget does not guarantee quality, nor does lack of budget preclude greatness. Even if Reach SP did cost more than 3's, some things (framerate, ghosting, friendly ai, voice acting) make it feel cheaper.

In out-of-my-ass terms, if they spent 10 million on halo 3's SP, I would guess than reach's cost 8 or 9.

It's laughable to me because low budget is the last thing that comes to mind when playing the campaign. I don’t need or want an explanation as to why you feel the way you do. I’ll just continue to live in my world.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The AI driving is indeed terrible. On one mission I let the AI drive and he just... drove away :lol I was expecting him to turn around and some point and return to the objective, but he didn't. Just kept going up the road, away from the battle. I eventually bailed out and walked back on foot. The guy never came back. Actually, in hindsight, maybe it was very SMART ai? He said "fuck this shit" and bailed out of Reach :lol :lol

And yeah, I am SEVERELY DISAPPOINTED in the Audio options. I turn subtitles on, but there are no subtitles for anything happening in-mission. Derp derp derp. There are no sliders for dialogue, music, and sound effects. Derp derp. This is basic level stuff, Bungie. I have to play the game at night, after the wife is in bed. So I have to keep the volume down. I now have no clue what is going on story-wise.

No subtitles, no way to amp up dialogue audio. SMH.

Mister E

Is there any way to get back to the main startup screen where you create a spartan? I accidentally hit start after selecting male or female, and it took me to the main game screen. I tried clearing the system cache, but it still doesn't show up

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Orodreth said:
That entire mission from
arriving at the beach to get to base to pilot the sabre in space to take the covenant corvette and ending with jorge´s sacrifice
is awesome.

The
falcon one is superb too mixing gameplay and then having that shocking scene at the end

And the last one possibly because of the story, great little twist although
i´m not sure but in "fall or reach" book the pillar of autumn was already in space when Reach was attacked. That´s when chief went to destroy data in an Oni ship with linda and sam i think while the rest of spartan-II landed to try to defend the MAC stations control posts

Then why
was he in Cryo at the start of the game?
Is this a problem we have always overlooked?

GDJustin said:
The AI driving is indeed terrible. On one mission I let the AI drive and he just... drove away :lol I was expecting him to turn around and some point and return to the objective, but he didn't. Just kept going up the road, away from the battle. I eventually bailed out and walked back on foot. The guy never came back. Actually, in hindsight, maybe it was very SMART ai? He said "fuck this shit" and bailed out of Reach :lol :lol

And yeah, I am SEVERELY DISAPPOINTED in the Audio options. I turn subtitles on, but there are no subtitles for anything happening in-mission. Derp derp derp. There are no sliders for dialogue, music, and sound effects. Derp derp. This is basic level stuff, Bungie. I have to play the game at night, after the wife is in bed. So I have to keep the volume down. I now have no clue what is going on story-wise.

It's because Marty wants your sleeping wife to hear.

Sai-kun

Banned
Mister E said:
Is there any way to get back to the main startup screen where you create a spartan? I accidentally hit start after selecting male or female, and it took me to the main game screen. I tried clearing the system cache, but it still doesn't show up
Did you try pressing start?

FrankT

3rd day with the campaign. Taking my time and easing my way through it. Man it is really good as the last part I just went through was chilling. That takes me back. Started off normal, but will likely have at least 4 runs when all said done with co-op and up to legendary.

GDJustin said:

Agree with this as it was actually the first option I was looking to find. Not sure about the AI driving, but I know one thing with me driving it seems so much smoother now.

Just to add to the subtitles some of the voices are really hard to come through clear(raspy even) and especially so when like you keeping the volume low at night.

Chrange

Banned
Major Williams said:
As far as accents go. I know I blow this trumpet a lot, but this instance happened independent of me.

While I was playing for the first time, a buddy of mine (who I hadn't even really talked to about Reach) INDEPENDENTLY forayed:

Jorge as a believable character went out the window. Suspension of disbelief discontinued. One of the few issues I had with the characters.

The other was with Kat. I began tuning her out once she had extended dialogue because of that accent mixed with her super science knowledge. Sounded like she was trying too hard to sound like a robot with an accent.

I can't remember exactly, but didn't Jorge spend extended amounts of time on Reach, where the civilians apparently have Russian-esque accents? Even without one naturally, he'd probably pick it up that way. After all, a friend went to Scotland for just a year and came back with an annoying habit of lapsing into that accent.

Raxus

TheUsual said:
And to be sure I'm at the right place,
it's the beginning of The Pillar of Autumn mission in the subsection "Once more unto the breach", with the cliff looking over the bridge and the elite by the truck with the flatbed on the back
Correct.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
WJD said:
Soooooo...

Is the planet Chief floats towards at the end of Halo 3 the "rebuilt" Reach?

It's plausible.

It is also speculated that the planet in the background is the Forerunner Home world. The same one shown in Halo: Legends.

fernoca

Mister E said:
Ya...I mean the startup screen where Bungie welcomes you to reach. I want it to back to where I first put the game in
But you just want to see the screen?
Because by pressing start you can change basically everything that apapeared on that screen (voice, armor, emblem, etc.)

Lunchbox

Banned
Major Williams said:
:lol :lol That's why male spartans would be better.

agreed, kats always got a raspy voice around me and acts awkward when she's next to me, and stats driving all messed up. its clear she has a crush on me.

It should've been all male spartans, no time for highschool crushes when you getting glassed

Sai-kun

Banned
TheUsual said:
And to be sure I'm at the right place,
it's the beginning of The Pillar of Autumn mission in the subsection "Once more unto the breach", with the cliff looking over the bridge and the elite by the truck with the flatbed on the back
Correct-o. Make sure you're not landing ON TOP of the elite, make sure you're behind him. Timing is a bitch when you do it like that but you'll either die from the fall or get the achievement :D

Dialogue spoilers
LET ME TAKE THE HEAT :|

Raxus

Lunchbox said:
kats always got a raspy voice around me and acts awkward when she's next to me, and stats driving all messed up. its clear she has a crush on me.

It should've been all male spartans, no time for highschool crushes when you getting glassed
Near endgame spoiler joke: You have been warned.
Maybe if she wasn't looking at your ass she would have seen that sniper :D

TheUsual

Gold Member
Got it! To the poster who said turn off the sprint while in mid-air, I think that worked! I ran, lined up correctly, turned off the sprint (it's still on while in mid air, something I didn't notice earlier) and did the melee, and the achievement popped up!.

Trickster

Gaaah, The Cage has some of the worst spawns ever. Either I spawn and get shots on me within seconds, or I spawn very close to the enemies, even had a spawn where I spawned on the lower floor of that watchtower thing, while an enemy was standing on the top floor.

Not to mention the fact that if you get proper control of the top of the map, it's nigh on impossible for the enemy to fight back.

Mister E

fernoca said:
But you just want to see the screen?
Because by pressing start you can change basically everything that apapeared on that screen (voice, armor, emblem, etc.)

Ya I didn't get a chance to read it all, it's whatever though

ManCannon

Shake Appeal said:
I have two Rampages in Reach MP, and both were with the tank. I actually got an Unfrigginbelievable (40 straight kills without dying) the first time.

heated tank discussions are well underway at the office...

on Hemo there is a plasma launcher but nobody really ever bothers going for it. however the SNIPER RIFLE is maybe the best anti-tank weapon in the game but nobody ever thinks/wants to use it for that purpose since it's more fun to pop dude's heads off across the map. It'll take a few shots but you can trash the tank (or any vehicle for that matter) using the Sniper Rifle.

Paradiso has the Splaser as well but people seem to generally waste that on Mongeese or infantry targets.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Gotta ditch the one betrayal booting at least in objective games. It's already bad enough if (read: when) somebody bails out from the lobby when they don't like the map voting result, but then somebody else on your team flips outs when another person kills them by accident and you're left with 2 v. 4. :-\

fernoca

Chrange said:
I can't remember exactly, but didn't Jorge spend extended amounts of time on Reach, where the civilians apparently have Russian-esque accents? Even without one naturally, he'd probably pick it up that way. After all, a friend went to Scotland for just a year and came back with an annoying habit of lapsing into that accent.
Yep. At least that's what I got from reading around info, comics and Halo stuff in general.

Could be wrong though. I had no problems with the accents. Townsfolk in the game had them too, so I saw it as "kinda obvious" that for a few that spent a good amount of time in there, to get the accent too.

neoism

:lol :lol :lol Got to love it... I quit about an hour ago. I said, "I'm not playing this all day again." An hour later I wanta play soo bad. :p :lol

Insaniac

anyone know how to make a proper invasion map on forgeworld a la boneyard, or a site explaining all the details of forgeworld cause I can't seem to figure out how it works

neoism said:
:lol :lol :lol Got to love it... I quit about an hour ago. I said, "I'm not playing this all day again." An hour later I wanta play soo bad. :p :lol

Had this exact feeling. I wanted to savor the campaign, but it's just too good to stop playing.

Insaniac said:
anyone know how to make a proper invasion map on forgeworld a la boneyard, or a site explaining all the details of forgeworld cause I can't seem to figure out how it works

Got a present for ya:

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=28649

StUnNeR H2K

ManCannon said:
on Hemo there is a plasma launcher but nobody really ever bothers going for it.

I think most people don't know how to use it... I know a few guys I play with that pick it up and go "WTF is this?", then discard it when they can't seem to get it to work. Maybe put some old Rocket Launcher love back in the middle?

I'll be sad though if the tank disappears from matchmaking...

ManCannon

Insaniac said:

Urk has a huge tutorial that one of our testers prepared. If it's not already posted to Bnet, I imagine it will be very soon.

EDIT ; beaten badly.

TheUsual said:

Don't worry man, you just missed one thing, it didn't screw up. You have to kill your sprint a little early. The reason is that Sprint can allow you to survive great jumps/falls so the game detects that you would have survived. You have to make a fatal jump. So do what you're doing but tap LB to stop the sprint shortly before reaching the elite. You might have to try a few times to get the right timing down. I think I did it maybe 2 seconds before impact, as the elite's size grows to about normal (from the distance).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom