• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

aesop

Dirtbag said:
I can't wait till everyone moves back to COD so people dont continue to vote for swat and snipers.
Seriously. Played against a group of very obvious COD veterans last night who would only melée after sprinting directly at you. Was pretty funny to see.

Striker said:
We really don't need twenty playlists again. They just need to tighten the weighting down on those two, especially SWAT.

The population count is so high right now that the amount of playlists shouldn't be an issue.

More options = you can play what you actually want to play.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Major Williams said:
I killed 9-10 maw on the second mission, but I died in between a couple times.

To get the achievement do I have to kill 7 in one life?
The 'shoot x with x weapon' cheevos are done in one life, so I guess so.

Talon

StUnNeR H2K said:
I'll be glad when Elite Slayer stops winning everytime... Hopefully the newness of it wears off fast cause I'm not a big enough fan of it to play everytime it comes up as an option.
This happened to me last night.

It took for-fucking-ever.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
DancingJesus said:
The population count is so high right now. They amount of playlists shouldn't be an issue.

More options = you can play what you actually want to play.
Yup, look at COD. 30 playlists but they all get healthy numbers because people can actually dive in to the sort of game they want to.

Mr. Sam

After a few particularly good showings on Arena, I'm in love with the nerfle. I wanna make love to it and have its little needly babies.

Sanic

Restarting a mission i'm partway through to change the difficulty won't have an effect on anything outside of achievements, correct?

Well, I finishd it on my lunch break. I could not tear myself away from the final level, because it was really awesome, except for the
mac cannon thing, that scene was really bullshit for an otherwise amazing level. Might be my favorite even with that

What really knocked my socks off was the battle with the
3/4 zealots, that fight was just fantastic. They are so goddamn fast, I had to really push to clear the first two, and pull a perfect noob combo to get the fuel rod beotch. Can't wait to do that on legendary

Another thing I'd like to say,
Brutes were just the perfect foiler to Elites. They were still tough and smart, they obviously kept some of that pack AI from Halo 3, but toned it down a bit. Mostly though, you could 3SK them, even though they would lay down withering fire. It really mixed up the pace and the types of conflict.
That was immensly satisfying, fantastically paced campaign. In terms of execution I think it's the best Halo campaign, with the best told story, best gameplay, best encounter design, and best AI by a country mile. (in before bu-bu-bu driving AI, seriously, just don't let the AI drive, problem solved!)

Ohh, and best music of any Halo game, both in terms of composition and how it worked with the action. Just the right mix of down beat, minor key stuff, then big bombast when it counted. Just amazing, great work guys.

I have more thoughts, but I can't put them all down into words quite yet.

God, I can't wait to start doing some co-op legendary and SP legenday

Chrange

Banned
TheUsual said:
Got it! To the poster who said turn off the sprint while in mid-air, I think that worked! I ran, lined up correctly, turned off the sprint (it's still on while in mid air, something I didn't notice earlier) and did the melee, and the achievement popped up!.
Yeah, that worked for me so I figured it was the same problem for you :D

GhaleonEB

So I can change the Phase 1 and Phase 2 objectives in Invasion to Assault.

30ieykh.jpg

GhaleonEB said:
So I can change the Phase 1 and Phase 2 objectives in Invasion to Assault.

30ieykh.jpg

Holyshitwut.

Anything else?

Edit:now I see the article. That's AWESOME! they are exposing way more of invasion than I thought they would.

Also of note, from that article, it sounded like you could setup a phase with multiple objective types? If I didn't misread that. HOLY SHIT DO WANT.

Ballistik

MikeDub said:
I am so happy that all people want to do in BTB is just play on Blood Gultch. I love that map regardless of gametype, oh and I just had a nice 46-2 game with a killing spree of 32 :D
This got picked for 4v4 SWAT. Painful experience..

As for the merged playlists, isn't it that way RIGHT NOW so that newcomers have a shot at playing different gametypes? Variety is what will grab some people's attention to keep playing this game. If Bungie put everything in it's own playlist, lots of people would only stick with one, like team slayer. Of course they'll divide them later.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Best game so far! Happened during team slayer on Blood Gulch. Team won and I was 20-5. Best so far for this game. (14 kills with Sniper Rifle, 10 of which were headshots)

Why do people vote for slayer 'pro' in normal team slayer playlist? That's the shittiest gametype possible (no AA's, no power weapons, no AR secondary???)

Hey You

Any chance we can have Special Weekend Playlists like Double Exp in Halo 3? Even if we don't get double credits or anything. I wanna see some a Living Dead Playlist down the line.

I hope Bungie will accept Community Infection Gametypes & Maps this time around, we couldn't in H3.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hypertrooper said:
Bought the blue visor for my spartan. It feels good.I had Asked Flipyap if he want to go out with my spartan. He answered no. *sadface*

I'm saving for all the helmets, so no splurging for me. Right now I'm saving for the Grenadier one. Expensive!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

last mission question
so what is this? Am I supposed to shoot down all the banshees and phantoms until something happens? Or am I supposed to shoot at the big ship in the distance, because that doesnt seem to fucking work ._. why did I pick heroic...

nvm cheesed my way through it like every other encounter...

Dirtbag said:
I can't wait till everyone moves back to COD so people dont continue to vote for swat and snipers.
I'm a huge COD fan but even I know these are two different games. I want my Halo, I don't want team Snipers and SWAT thank you very much.

Corky said:

last mission question
so what is this? Am I supposed to shoot down all the banshees and phantoms until something happens? Or am I supposed to shoot at the big ship in the distance, because that doesnt seem to fucking work ._. why did I pick heroic...

Shoot down the banshees/phantoms, the game mentions that you aren't cracking it's shield, but doesn't give really good guidance.

Zomba13

Corky said:

last mission question
I had trouble too. Here is waht I did (cheap tactic incoming)
Exit the turret and hide for a while, maybe shoot a few phantoms and banshees but get out before you die. Wait for the signal over the coms telling you to 'shoot the corvet do it quickly' etc. Jump back in the turret, aim at the big red weakpoint and fire one shot.

gdt

Played about 5/6 matches a bit ago, did ok. First two games I totally bombed, but I did mid-to-high in the last few. Just had to get in the groove :D . I'll get better. Soon as my brother gets here, we'll FF. We spent alot of time doing that in ODST.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Zomba13 said:
I had trouble too. Here is waht I did (cheap tactic incoming)
Exit the turret and hide for a while, maybe shoot a few phantoms and banshees but get out before you die. Wait for the signal over the coms telling you to 'shoot the corvet do it quickly' etc. Jump back in the turret, aim at the big red weakpoint and fire one shot.

thats exactly what I did, it's a shame but w/e. I got fed up with the difficulty and was hoping for it to end after that.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I have a 4 gb 360 Slim and I can't play firefight matchmaking, because it says I need a hard-drive and the 4gb is considered a memory unit. Any chance a solution will come up from Bungie? Also I can't use the file browser, again because of no hard-drive so I can't upload or recommend anything. :/

Finally got some time with the game, made my first Forge World map ... still populating it with weapons and it probably needs more cover, but I don't want to throw too much in there.

Blasted through Heroic campaign with a friend over the past two days. Awesome! The only part I didn't like was having to use the
MAC Cannon or whatever it was
at the end. Though I did get a ton of points for using it.

Also did some matchmaking + arena, and man I am just wildly inconsistent... some great matches, some awful :lol

witness

Good lord firefight is so much fun, so glad its opened up for matchmaking. I'm really liking the psych profile settings, it seems that I'm getting matched up with exactly the kind of people that I would want. No BS smack talkers, no annoying kids, either everyone's quiet or polite and cool. Love it!

The armor upgrades are really addicting, I keep having that "one more game" thing going on :lol

MMaRsu

Banned
Advance_Alarm said:
Why do people vote for slayer 'pro' in normal team slayer playlist? That's the shittiest gametype possible (no AA's, no power weapons, no AR secondary???)

Because fucking idiots who think pro stands for awesome and 1337

Playlists are great in some ways, but in other ways you could be playing for an ENTIRE HOUR or more until you get to play something that YOU actually want to play. In that regard I'm more favorable to some different system.

You pick the gametype, and you pick the map you want to play on. And then you hop into matchmaking. Sadly this will never happen, but I agree that you could be playing for awhile before you find a game that you're happy with.

ultron87

Advance_Alarm said:

Also no radar. Which sucks.

Advance_Alarm said:
Because people want to arena with people they know and just do normal tdm alone or with bad friends but want a more vanilla experience. Aa's are fun but I personally don't like them much in tdm

Agree with the whole voting system needs to be.... something. As it stands right now, its slayer, team slayer or some variant of slayer. If anything deathmatch (pro) is pitted against any other really fun gametype, that gametype has no chance as everyone just wants to kill, kill, kill. It took all of 3 games on Tuesday to notice this was going to be the norm (until hopefully it thins out a bit).

Orodreth

Calm Killer said:
Then why
was he in Cryo at the start of the game?
Is this a problem we have always overlooked?

I think
almost everyone in the crew at the PoA was left to sleep during the jump through slipspace and eventually were woke up by Cortana etc.., and the chief was one of the last to be awaken.

In the books, Kelly, or was it Linda, was in the pillar of autumn too, in cryo because of the severe injuries received at the oni ship above reach. Was launched to space and rescued later by chief at the end of HaloCE before leaving the system

Anyway, i would like to check the days in reach campaign and the ones in the book an haloCE

Jrmint

Woot just finished the 4 daily challenges for today, that was hella fun.

Quick question, how do I get my nameplate in the game to have the Halo 3 or Reach icon? I've seen people with these various icons, including helmets and the Halo 2 icon, and heard them talking about it on the GiantBomb cast, but cannot figure out how to add it on the Bungie site.

Thanks if you know.

LunaticPuma said:
You need to get better at looking for weapons. There are more weapons around those spots than you have found.
I dunno what Oozer said in the black text, but there are plenty of weapons lying around...everywhere. There's plenty to explore in Reach's campaign, and weapons are always your reward.

Also, what is with this bad AI talk? I have NEVER let the AI drive me in the campaign, for any campaign of Halo. People actually let the AI drive them around? The AI driving has always been bad. It's always been more fun for me for me to drive and for them to shoot.

ultron87 said:
Also no radar. Which sucks.
Yeah, I'm hardly playing any gametype with AR/pistol starts now, which are a lot of fun.

Slayer Pro might be the most boring mode ever.

Hey, I've got a great idea! Let's strip out every tactical wrinkle that makes this game unique and ensure everybody in the game is using the same 3 weapons all the time.

Thankfully, nobody seems to pick that mode unless the alternative is playing Slayer DMRs on one of the Forge-made maps.

Seriously, it's been 10 years since Halo: CE. I think maybe it's time the purists woke up and realized that multiplayer design and yes, Halo, has advanced a great deal since those simple, repetitive days.

StUnNeR H2K

Orodreth said:
In the books, Kelly, or was it Linda, was in the pillar of autumn too, in cryo because of the severe injuries received at the oni ship above reach. Was launched to space and rescued later by chief at the end of HaloCE before leaving the system

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom