• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

.nimrod

So what's the best way to kill hunters on legendary?

I'm at the
entrance of Sword Base
on my solo legendary run and it's pretty tough but doable so far. It just takes so long to kill a hunter that i think i'm doing something wrong.
I've only got my DMR and shotgun, a few grenades and there's a sniper rifle with only one clip on the ground. Is there any power weapon in that area that i might have missed?

Puddles

Banned
Falagard said:
I understand that the game allows you to jump in the gunner and have the A.I. drive, and therefore it should just work, and be fun, and everyone should be happy.

I get that.

However, the reality is that allowing the A.I. to drive and attempt to secure specific positions, dodge incoming gunfire, present you with targets properly, and generally act like a human player is pretty hard. And by pretty hard I mean extremely hard. Even when playing co-op its damn hard for a real person to do on Legendary.

It's so hard - I'm no expert here so I could be wrong - that no other games even attempt to do it. If you have driving sections controlled by AI in other games, it's always scripted.

So I suggest if you're having that many problems with allowing the A.I. to drive, then just don't let them drive. Drive around yourself and let them gun - they're probably more precise than you are, and you're the one in control.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

ManCannon

StUnNeR H2K said:
I think most people don't know how to use it... I know a few guys I play with that pick it up and go "WTF is this?", then discard it when they can't seem to get it to work. Maybe put some old Rocket Launcher love back in the middle?

I'll be sad though if the tank disappears from matchmaking...

Tank is awesome. Nobody is talking about removing it- just discussing better/more obvious anti-tank measures to add to the map(s). (like rockets, for example)

And Shake thanks for that vehicle/weapon spawn discrepancy list. Forwarded to test team for review.

ManCannon said:
Tank is awesome. Nobody is talking about removing it- just discussing better/more obvious anti-tank measures to add to the map(s). (like rockets, for example)

And Shake thanks for that vehicle/weapon spawn discrepancy list. Forwarded to test team for review.

I'm going to have to kidnap one of you guys for a match to get that medal for playing against a bungie employee ;)

Hixx

.nimrod said:

I'm at the
entrance of Sword Base
on my solo legendary run and it's pretty tough but doable so far. It just takes so long to kill a hunter that i think i'm doing something wrong.
I've only got my DMR and shotgun, a few grenades and there's a sniper rifle with only one clip on the ground. Is there any power weapon in that area that i might have missed?

Shotgun most definitely. Hide till it targets a friend, get in close and shotgun will tear them apart quickly.
afaik you never face a hunter by yourself, always use your squad to bait them

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
bj00rn_ said:
Playing the campaign now. It irks me that I can't turn down the volume on the music. I have no problem noticing the quality in the music, but come on Bungie, why the fuck not make it optional at least...... The "TOCK TOCK TOCK TOCK TOCK TOCK TOCK TOCK" in that night level....

Same, I immediately went into options to find it so I could hear Noble team. I guess the music is more important than the dialogue. :lol

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
TheUsual said:
Got it! To the poster who said turn off the sprint while in mid-air, I think that worked! I ran, lined up correctly, turned off the sprint (it's still on while in mid air, something I didn't notice earlier) and did the melee, and the achievement popped up!.
I'm ashamed to say that this took me an hour and a half to unlock. I must have completed the assassination at least 50 times, canceling sprint, not canceling (some people have said they got it without canceling), etc. I have no idea what was different about the one time I finally got it, but it must have been the timing, because that ONE time, the kill animation was one I hadn't seen yet. So frustrating.

.nimrod said:

I'm at the
entrance of Sword Base

You could save a Plasma Launcher from the rooftops on the west side. (That's what I did)

ManCannon said:

Could you forward this to them as well? :p

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23357891&postcount=11217

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
HixxSAFC said:
Shotgun most definitely. Hide till it targets a friend, get in close and shotgun will tear them apart quickly.

I've also found instead of trying to strafe hunters (doesn't work anymore) now you need to vault over them, or sprint your ass off around them.

There should be a "fun" playlist like Action Sack that has Grifball, Rocket Race and other fun things. Or just make a Race playlist and a Grifball playlist.

Hugbot

vatstep said:
I'm ashamed to say that this took me an hour and a half to unlock. I must have completed the assassination at least 50 times, canceling sprint, not canceling (some people have said they got it without canceling), etc. I have no idea what was different about the one time I finally got it, but it must have been the timing, because that ONE time, the kill animation was one I hadn't seen yet. So frustrating.
Man that sucks that it's so hard to trigger sometimes. I did it in ten minutes this morning instead of eating breakfast and now I feel all guilty.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
vatstep said:

If you touch the elite before entering the assassination it negates the fall making it not count.

You can literally land on the elite and be A OK, so touching him makes the achievement impossible, you HAVE to initiate the melee before making contact.

.nimrod

HixxSAFC said:

Thanks, i'll try that

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Hugbot said:
Man that sucks that it's so hard to trigger sometimes. I did it in ten minutes this morning instead of eating breakfast and now I feel all guilty.
Yeah, it's finicky. It only took me a couple of tries to do it right, but it just didn't unlock. I watched every video, and read every achievement whore forum, and none of the tips people had were any different from what I was doing the whole time. Finally, for some reason, it just worked.

Awesome. Get into team slayer with a party of three, other teams gets the hammer, leader of the party I'm in cries and tells his buddies to leave. Me vs 4 for 9 + mins. Fun.. Hope that quitter system is fully fuckin operational.

WJD said:
Soooooo...

Is the planet Chief floats towards at the end of Halo 3 the "rebuilt" Reach?

It's plausible.
Uhm...

Don't the events of Halo Reach up to Halo 3 take place in a span of just a few weeks?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
zero margin said:
Awesome. Get into team slayer with a party of three, other teams gets the hammer, leader of the party I'm in cries and tells his buddies to leave. Me vs 4 for 9 + mins. Fun.. Hope that quitter system is fully fuckin operational.

It isn't helping much. And the fact that people will kick each other over one accidental kill is ruining some matches right out of the gate.

The good: Graphics have improved. I like all the crazy options. Much better than H3 and ODST.

The bad: Beat it on Heroic. Better than H3 and ODST. But other than that I felt like it still needed to be more varied. At the end of the day it still felt like a chore in some cases.

The only missions where I felt it was truly awesome and not just driving to another somewhat predictable skirmish was
the Zero G one, the space battles and the very last one where you fight to survive.

Also the movement in the beta seemed much better. It had a bit more fluidity. This is the only Halo where I kinda feel like a truck. Makes me wonder if that's what they've been going for all along since the Spartans weigh a ton.

The ugly: Campaign and Multiplayer splitscreen graphics. It looks like H2 in some cases. Well the maps do. And sometimes I'll spawn without an armor ability at the worst possible time. Why can't we change our ability mid gameplay? Sometimes I'll try to pick something and the loadout menu will disappear. Then I have to press X again and by that time I've spawned!

ManCannon

The Lamonster said:
There should be a "fun" playlist like Action Sack that has Grifball, Rocket Race and other fun things. Or just make a Race playlist and a Grifball playlist.

Proper Rocket Race will be coming to matchmaking. And once we have more race tracks created by the community, as long as demand dictates it, I think Race would become it's own playlist. It arguably doesn't belong mixed in with Slayer and the more traditional gametypes but it's just a limited offering right now.

Same can be said for Griffball - pending the community's adoption of a new formal gametype(s) and maps and popularity, it too could end up in its own playlist or some kind of action sack equivalent.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Has anyone else noticed how in certain games. Slayer Classic? I think is where I experienced it. Some of the players have sprint and some don't. I played a couple games where halfway through the game it would turn on, but half the game I didn't have it but the other team did. Is this a planned thing or a bug?

Mooreberg said:
It isn't helping much. And the fact that people will kick each other over one accidental kill is ruining some matches right out of the gate.

I haven't ran into this much yet but I have been given the option at one betrayal. As for the quitter thing, I'm not sticking around next time, I think I went -20 in that game.

Najaf

Hang 'em High remade in forge world.

I was poking through google and this has the best rating of them all. It is not to scale, but close. Attempts seem to be made to keep the sniper rifle hard to jet pack to, but its very easy if done at the right angle. Odd quirks need fixing such as grenades placed on the main path acting like speed bumps. The space behind the cloak pickup is off. The pits below the starting bases need to be added. (they make grenade kills on the shotgun grabbers easier)

I really want to take some time and do a one to one scale but the hours it would take would be hefty. Still, not a bad remake at all and worth a look.

EDIT: I forgot to add a link to this one. I have not played it, but it has a big following. I'll check it out tonight.

aesop

Foxy Fox 39 said:
Why can't we change our ability mid gameplay? Sometimes I'll try to pick something and the loadout menu will disappear. Then I have to press X again and by that time I've spawned!
This is a product of the beta. People asked for the loudouts to be hidden after the initial spawn and Bungie obliged. If you want to change your AA after you die, just press X.

JB1981

If sprint is default for classic Team Slayer then it should have also been default for those matches where loadouts are availble imo.

Also, what game types allow loadouts? I feel like the matchmaking is kind of confusing. I never know which gametype support loadouts, is it just objective-based gametypes?

also, i am not crazy about many of the mp maps. Halo 3 mp maps were much better, im (valhalla was tits).

aesop said:
This is a product of the beta. People asked for the loudouts to be hidden after the initial spawn and Bungie obliged. If you want to change your AA after you die, just press X.
But why?

JB1981 said:
If sprint is default for classic Team Slayer then it should have also been default for those matches where loadouts are availble imo.

Also, what game types allow loadouts? I feel like the matchmaking is kind of confusing. I never know which gametype support loadouts, is it just objective-based gametypes?

also, i am not crazy about many of the mp maps. Halo 3 mp maps were much better, im (valhalla was tits).
I think anything that says Classic or Pro in the title will have Sprint-only.

And agreed about the maps, with Forge World as the exception. It's... beautiful

Owzers

finished the campaign! I liked it a lot overall but towards the end, like in a lot of games, i just stopped enjoying the combat and tried to get through checkpoints with the least amount of confrontation possible.

Striker

ManCannon said:
heated tank discussions are well underway at the office...

on Hemo there is a plasma launcher but nobody really ever bothers going for it. however the SNIPER RIFLE is maybe the best anti-tank weapon in the game but nobody ever thinks/wants to use it for that purpose since it's more fun to pop dude's heads off across the map. It'll take a few shots but you can trash the tank (or any vehicle for that matter) using the Sniper Rifle.

Paradiso has the Splaser as well but people seem to generally waste that on Mongeese or infantry targets.
On 4v4, the Scorpion shouldn't be in Hemorrhage. It's just too powerful. I would say it's better just being two Warthogs, two Mongoose, Revenant, and a Ghost. A Banshee would be cool instead of having two Warthogs, but that's up to you guys. I haven't had any extreme problems with the Scorpion in BTB, yet. I do think there's a lack of anti-tank measure in both Hemorrhage and Paradiso, though. There's grenades, and other vehicles, but the Plasma Launcher hasn't worked fast enough before being blasted down. Why isn't the Rocket Launcher in the middle anymore? I would also say more Plasma Pistols being placed some place - at least one more on each side (on the cliffs).

I hope you guys are listening about the Drop Shield in Team Objective. ;)

WJD

The most beautiful tactic ever:

My friend driving me round in the Revenent - me in the passenger seat with a plasma pistol and nerfle disabling all other vehicles.

I love this game.

Najaf

Shake Appeal said:
Default Weapon/Vehicle Timers for Reach Multiplayer Maps

(In handy printable format. Invasion timers not included.)

Download here.

Gosh, how I hate those sites. Its like a hot spot hunting in an adventure game trying to find the 'right' download button. Thanks for the link though. Handy stuff.

aesop

WJD said:

My friend driving me round in the Revenent - me in the passenger seat with a plasma pistol and nerfle disabling all other vehicles.

I love this game.
And stuff like this is why the Halo series will always hold a special place in my cynical gamer heart.

Fuck the games that rely on rock-paper-scissors mechanics. Long live the sandbox.

Najaf

WJD said:

I love this game.

smart.jpg

Genius

sillymonkey321 said:
finished the campaign! I liked it a lot overall but towards the end, like in a lot of games, i just stopped enjoying the combat and tried to get through checkpoints with the least amount of confrontation possible.

:lol me too. I think thats because the end needed to be more fun. At that point I was like, "let me just get through this because the combat is not fun. I have a plasma pistol and a spiker without any ammo!"

Oh and the loadout thing I mentioned. Its a glitch. I'll spawn without an AA at all, and end up dying for it.

But there's one awesome thing I did. I used Armor Lock just as a warthog tried to splatter me. It flew up in the air landed on its backside and my guest immediately chucked two grenades its way leaving all the occupants dead.

Sanic

The last two thirds of
Exodus
was incredibly painful, I was dying constantly. It looks like the next mission is going to be another slog as well.

StUnNeR H2K

Dirtbag said:
I can't wait till everyone moves back to COD so people dont continue to vote for swat and snipers.

I'll be glad when Elite Slayer stops winning everytime... Hopefully the newness of it wears off fast cause I'm not a big enough fan of it to play everytime it comes up as an option.

feel

Hoping jeremiah kills this "all types of slayer in a single playlist" deal pronto, since I don't usually join MM with a big group that has voting power.

The Lamonster said:
Not being able to adjust my camera angle immediately after death with the right stick without pressing any other button felt very annoying to me. Very pleased with this small change.

I am so happy that all people want to do in BTB is just play on Blood Gultch. I love that map regardless of gametype, oh and I just had a nice 46-2 game with a killing spree of 32 :D

Dirtbag

I also wish they didnt use the word "pro" in mode descriptions, because I'm sure most of the players don't realize what it means, they just click it cause it says pro. I much prefer headhunter over headhunter pro, but never get to play it because everyone wants to be a pro.

Striker

DancingJesus said:
Or you know, Bungie could get around to relegating it to its own playlist.

Just a thought.
We really don't need twenty playlists again. They just need to tighten the weighting down on those two, especially SWAT.

waynej506 said:
So in multiplayer, what's your go to weapon and load out, Is this pistol awesome like back in Halo 1?
The pistol is way awesome. I pull it out as soon as I spawn.

As far as my preferred AA, I'm a huge fan of jetpacks and holograms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom