• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Roderton

CitizenCope said:
Nope. I'm too busy killing or most likely being killed to notice that anyones armor is any different from the last guy I saw. Seriously, I see no difference in the heat of the battle.

Kinda hard to notice how someone's armor looks during the match unless you take see the armor effects. I'm still a sucker for spending credits though.

Schmitty

CitizenCope said:
Nope. I'm too busy killing or most likely being killed to notice that anyones armor is any different from the last guy I saw. Seriously, I see no difference in the heat of the battle.
It's just a cool incentive to work for and admire in the lobby :lol

Mainly a bragging rights kind of thing.

Apath

Oozer3993 said:
If only it was consistent. I've hit other vehicles with EMPs only to see them keep on trucking. The Banshees at the beginning of Tip of the Spear can't be brought down for instance.
Yes they can. It's just impossible to bring one down and hijack it -- it always goes over the cliff and blows up or comes down right in your face. :lol

Speaking of, God I hated the first encounter of that level. Those fuel rod turrets are absolutely brutal and they can basically hit everywhere, including right where you start. I must have died at least 10 times at that part.

Jroderton said:
It updates a little bit each time. Mine updated but not to the most recent. As far as stats and recent games go mine is up to date on all of it, just not my armor. Which really doesn't bug me that much.
I don't notice any delay in any of the actual statistics, it just refuses to update my armor. It's pretty annoying if only because I want to take the render and use it as my avatar. I'd also like to actually see a picture of the Spartan I use, rather than the one I used for the first few matches on the 14th -_-

J-Roderton

Kenak said:
Yes they can. It's just impossible to bring one down and hijack it -- it always goes over the cliff and blows up or comes down right in your face. :lol

Speaking of, God I hated the first encounter of that level. Those fuel rod turrets are absolutely brutal and they can basically hit everywhere, including right where you start. I must have died at least 10 times at that part.

I dread trying that solo on legendary. Nightfall is still kicking my ass.

eosos

Banned
Man this game is brutal. Going against two hunters and two invisible elites on heroic takes a lot out of you. That's only on heroic too.
Oh and I was browsing metacritic and saw a user review of Reach

This is probably the perfect Halo, but is that a good thing? having a wii this year, with games such as Metroid Other M, Super Mario Galaxy, Sin and Punishment 2, No More Heroes 2, and of course, Valhalla Knights. One comes to think why a console like Xbox360 has to depend so much in the last exclusive it gots for the year. Lets face it, Halo is so popular among Xbox fanboys because its the only exclusive game they can find. So how good is this game? well its as good as the other Halos, a boring and unbalanced game that forces you to pay if you want to enjoy it at its most. Other Halos has been like that, the AI of the enemies are ok, people says the artifical intelligence of this game is the best one of all history in any media, but come on baby, if you consider Halo's enemies intelligent that proves how much stupid you are. Is really that much smart to attack with rifles having flying gunships with cannons that can destroy an entire city? that is the most dumbest thing in the world. I imagine now elgasty and chiquiza are happy because a webpage called meristation gave it a 10. But I prefer to rely more on metacritic. Its a webpage that never have failed me, and this is not the exception. Even killzone got better physics, in a FPS the most important factor is its physics, Halo's physics are very unrealistic, the story of the game is ok, but we already knew it, so nothing new about it. The graphics are good for xbox360 but if you compare it with Killzone 2 or even Super Mario Galaxy 2, this game is far from perfection, your eyes will bleed a lot once you get to see the reflects on armors... ...I mean, come on, lots of lights everywhere and not a single spark in the armors? not a mark? everyone dies but the armors stays intact? that makes no sense, its the dumbest thing in any videogame, it takes out the realism out of it. The controls of the game are very unresponsive, and now imagine when microsoft decides to put kinect on it, lol. if Halo was in PS3 or wii all of those fanboys who gives it a 10 would give it a 7, its the real score it deserves. We should learn to say things based on reality and not on faboyism. If you are a Xbox360 owner, and you are lying to yourself thinking this game will make you feel proud of your console, think twice about it, you will only have a regret for the rest of your life, and in the future when you grow up and you see the wii got better games, you will remember about me and you will say "damn Hynda was right" when that time comes, be sure to come here again and give it the right score it deserves. Good night gentlemen.

It made me die a bit inside.

op_ivy said:
ok, i *think* i can drive a mongoose with a broken hand, can someone point me to some awesome race maps?

2 days into this and i'm really getting depressed that i cant do anything. some halo would make me feel loads better
What happened to your hand? That's assy.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Neuromancer said:
What happened to your hand? That's assy.

boxers-fracture.jpg

(not my x-ray, but similar)

fell while working in the garage :(

Gui_PT

Oozer3993 said:
If only it was consistent. I've hit other vehicles with EMPs only to see them keep on trucking. The Banshees at the beginning of Tip of the Spear can't be brought down for instance.

I managed to use that Falcon to sequence break Winter Contingency. Using the same trick with the Spirit from that video, you can skip right to the relay station. Which means you can do this:

http://imgur.com/gosXh.png

You know, when Kat says the door is closing, that means you should come inside:

[IMG]http://imgur.com/9a04C.png

P.S. GUI, I think I might be wrong about the Armory Completion. I have people on my Friend's List who are lower ranked than I am, but have a higher Armory percentage.[/QUOTE]

That's amazing :lol

Thanks for the PS. I'll try buying cheap stuff to see the the percentage goes up.

Apath

eosos said:
Man this game is brutal. Going against two hunters and two invisible elites on heroic takes a lot out of you. That's only on heroic too.
Oh and I was browsing metacritic and saw a user review of Reach

It made me die a bit inside.
Just remember that when he graduates High School and maybe gets some friends, he will feel foolish for putting so much loyalty and faith into a faceless corporation that wants nothing more than your monthly pay check.

Alienshogun said:
Do it BEFORE you make contact with the elite, and make sure sprint is disengaged as you fall.

If you touch the elite it cancels out the fall. You have to "lunge" into the assassination.
It doesn't matter if you sprint or not. There are videos where people do it without turning off sprint and still unlock the achievement. I've gone through all the tips and whatnot, and it just isn't going to happen. If you do manage to get it, it's 100% luck.

EDIT: It's not like I care all that much. I cared enough to give it 50-60 minutes over 3 sessions while waiting for friends to come online, but I'm not crying myself to sleep for not having all achievements in Halo Reach. We should all be used to glitchy achievements by now anyway.

unomas

Banned
Ronabo said:
I finally beat solo legendary Nightfall. It was a nerve racking time doing so, but I feel happy about doing it.

It probably took me about 7 hours over the course of 2 days.

No worries, my Legendary playthrough solo took 27+ hours of gametime.

eosos

Banned
Buckethead said:
Agreed with dying inside, disagreed with it being the perfect Halo.
2 steps forward, 1 step back. One could argue 1 step forward, 2 back.
This is completely unrelated, but I love your avatar!

eosos said:
Oh and I was browsing metacritic and saw a user review
That was your first mistake, what the hell were you thinking? :lol
op_ivy said:
http://www.sports-injury-info.com/image-files/boxers-fracture.jpg[IMG]
(not my x-ray, but similar)

fell while working in the garage :([/QUOTE]
Ouch, I feel for you man.

AndyMoogle said:
It doesn't matter if you sprint or not. There are videos where people do it without turning off sprint and still unlock the achievement. I've gone through all the tips and whatnot, and it just isn't going to happen. If you do manage to get it, it's 100% luck.
Have you tried it this way yet? I'll pimp it again:
SolidEyeSystem said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYHtRFp7VSs

Try this method out in the beginning of Nightfall, took me about fifteen minutes to get it yesterday. Sometimes it takes awhile for the elite to face the other way though.

SolidEyeSystem said:
Have you tried it this way yet? I'll pimp it again:
I've read about doing it on Nightfall instead, but I've never gotten around to try it out. Not sure if it's worth my time though since I've seen people complaining about not getting it on that level either.

Daigoro

beat Legendary solo this weekend. lots of deaths and some frustrating points, but overall not too difficult. not any harder than any Call of Duty game on Vet, thats for sure.

been having some fun in Arena Team Doubles. i always liked Doubles. havent tried Arena TS yet. gotta squeeze in some more days to make sure i get some lowly ranking before the month is out. :lol

having a lot of fun with this game. it did not dissapoint.

LQX

AndyMoogle said:
Heh, two assassinations... I've assassinated that damn elite 30+ times, and I still don't have an achievement. It's obviously glitched and I'm never going to try it again unless Bungie patch it.

Are you trying it on Nightfall? If not its much, much easier. Here is video. Also I found it easier to just run past the frist Elite and make the jump instead of killing him first.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYHtRFp7VSs

edit-beaten

Red

Buckethead said:
Agreed with dying inside, disagreed with it being the perfect Halo.
2 steps forward, 1 step back. One could argue 1 step forward, 2 back.
Eh I disagree. Reach does away with many of the problems I thought plagued H2 and H3, while at the same time lifting the sandbox to far loftier heights than the series has ever seen through the added movement and strategic implementation of AAs. I just love playing it.

CE, ODST, and Reach are my favorites in the series. They're all so fun to play. I don't know if it has to do with how grounded combat feels or what, but I could never really get into H2 or H3. Reach is exhilarating almost constantly.

Red

Yeah, I didn't dig H2 or H3 at all. CE, ODST, and Reach are the best ones. I personally think Reach is the strongest one in the series.
I despised Halo 2. I thought 3 was alright, but it never really got past that "alright." There were cool moments in the campaign, and the multiplayer suite was truly an achievement at the time. But I never got so fervently interested in it, a far cry from my appetite for CE.

ODST brought some of that back, and Reach has blown me away every time I boot it up.

Do you guys really think it would have been that hard for Bungie to let us make our own Firefight maps in Forge? I'm no programmer but I would think it wouldn't have been that tough, just let us put in friendly and enemy spawn points and let the enemy AI take over from there. I can see where the Covenant dropships would have been undoable though.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Crunched said:
Eh I disagree. Reach does away with many of the problems I thought plagued H2 and H3, while at the same time lifting the sandbox to far loftier heights than the series has ever seen through the added movement and strategic implementation of AAs. I just love playing it.

CE, ODST, and Reach are my favorites in the series. They're all so fun to play. I don't know if it has to do with how grounded combat feels or what, but I could never really get into H2 or H3. Reach is exhilarating almost constantly.

I agree completely, I also think the DMR is my favorite gun in any game ever.

voltron

GhaleonEB said:
I'd love a meaty Firefight or Campaign challenge. Would make sense to rotate them, since this week's was in MP. The daily challenges have had a nice cadence of MP and FF, with a mix of Campaign starting to trickle in. I'm finding myself checking them every morning, and working through one or two a night the past few days. I suspect this is a preview of the next few years. :lol

Same here. Initially I didnt care much at all about the daily challenges but Im becoming addicted to them.

I almost wish there were twice as many challenges for half the credits.

Chorazin

Another two fucking hours down the shitter trying to get the motherfucking ITCTHMB achievement. This bring me to a total of 5 goddamn hours on this buggy crap. I watch all the videos. I try all the tips, i try variations, I try Nightfall, I try PoA, NOTHING.

This is driving me up the wall!!!

Red

Chorazin said:
Another two fucking hours down the shitter trying to get the motherfucking ITCTHMB achievement. This bring me to a total of 5 goddamn hours on this buggy crap. I watch all the videos. I try all the tips, i try variations, I try Nightfall, I try PoA, NOTHING.

I would say, "chill, man, it's only an achievement," but I know I'd be doing the same thing were I in your situation.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Neuromancer said:
Do you guys really think it would have been that hard for Bungie to let us make our own Firefight maps in Forge? I'm no programmer but I would think it wouldn't have been that tough, just let us put in friendly and enemy spawn points and let the enemy AI take over from there. I can see where the Covenant dropships would have been undoable though.

No one said it would have been hard, but the areas are designed so its balanced with the AI. People would probably just make one way shields all over the maps anyway.

Chorazin said:

Try watching your videos in theater and see what you're doing. If you touch the elite before you assassinate him then you won't die, therefore it's not a fall that would kill you. Derp.

RSB

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
MP wise, yes he's correct. IDK about SP though.
Technically, there's no SP in Reach. Even the Campaign is part of the MP (4 player co-op and stuff)

Neuromancer said:
I think they couldn't make Firefight Forge because of the AI. I'm pretty sure they have to adjust the AI behaviors to each level, or something like that, so it wouldn't work in a forged level.

Anyway, I still don't understand why don't they use the MP levels as Firefight levels, they are all in the Campaign too, so the AI should work fine in most of them (not in Broadwalk or Reflection though, as they were basically empty in the Campaign, so the AI would probably not be ready to work properly in them)

Kapura said:
when you're the only person playing it, it's single player.
Well, that's your definition. When I think of SP, I think Bioshock or Metroid Prime, not Halo. That's why I say "Bioshock 2's SP is good" but not "Halo Reach SP is awesome" (in that case I would say "Halo Reach Campaign is awesome"

I enjoy Reach's campaign as much as I enjoy CE's campaign. That alone puts it above the other FPS games I've played this generation.
Agreed :)

And about that comment of Halo Reach being the best of this generation... Well, I'm sure it's the best FPS of this generation (and it will only get better with the playlist updates, map packs, etc) but GotG? Still too early to tell I think. For now I would only say that (at least for me) it's tied with other games, like Bayonetta, Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect, Uncharted 2... there's been some awesome games this generation, that's for sure.

Bye ;)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Had a pretty epic game of Invasion Slayer on Paradisio this afternoon. I went +18, and had three killing sprees with a ghost, a banshee, and a wraith. I cut two films of two particulary juicy highlights:

1) I somehow managed to get a Splatter Spree with the Banshee. I don't think that's really its intended use:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=3462444

2) Spartans got a Warthog. Elites don't like Warthogs! Hilarity (and a double kill) ensues:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=3462505&player=ErrorJustin <-- Fixed link.

Would appreciate a render if someone can spare a couple minutes.

Edit: THANK YOU to whoever rendered the banshee slip. I fixed the url to the warthog clip.

Zomba13

Kenak said:
I skyjacked a banshee on tip of the spear on heroic on my first campaign runthrough. Was easy with the jetpack.

Sai-kun

Banned
Zomba13 said:
I skyjacked a banshee on tip of the spear on heroic on my first campaign runthrough. Was easy with the jetpack.

I swear they don't let you get the ones in the beginning. You can bring them down, but you aren't given the option to hijack.,

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Had an insane game of Elite Slayer earlier...EVERYONE was using armor lock and plasma grenades were spammed everywhere. The fight just stayed up in the same room the lift on sword base goes to, so there were corpses exploding everywhere, and battles took forever. I got the reflection medal 9 times. :lol

-PXG-

I decided it would be neat to see how I could recreate Gears of War in Halo: Reach. This is what I've got done so far:

Gametype = GOW_W/S_beta_1.0 (Slayer variant):

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=3489907&player=PXG 360

Map = PH_G_beta_1.0 (Powerhouse edit):

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=3486127&player=PXG 360

I might remake one of the classic Gears maps in Forge, or use one the available maps that other people have made. Please download them and comment here on GAF, or on BNET. Thanks.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sai-kun said:
I swear they don't let you get the ones in the beginning. You can bring them down, but you aren't given the option to hijack.,

I think he's referring to the end of that run, at the spire, because you're right, you CAN'T jack the banshees at the beginning, I emped the shit out of them and had all the chance in the world to jack them; it won't let you.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Saw this comment on this video:
MrProGamerUK
18 minutes ago

I would have put it in this order

5# Halo Combat Evolved - Campaign too boring for me

4# Halo ODST - Campaign interesting but too dark

3# Halo Reach - Its a new campaign and its awesome but its pushed down&#65279; 2 marks because i havent completed it yet.

2# Halo 3 - Its good, its awesome and Its easy to beat

1# Halo 2 - Whats better than driving a Scorpion on a freeway and blowing up ghosts&#65279; and banshees.
*shudders*

I don't even think its fair to judge campaigns yet without multiple runthroughs and some time to sink it all in, but atm I'm feeling:
5. ODST
4. Halo 3
3 and 2. Reach/Halo 2 tossup for me (to whomever I said that I can't remember any epic moments from Halo 2's campaign, a lot of fond memories came back to me thinking back)
1. Halo

Zomba13

Sai-kun said:
Whoops nvm. Yeah it wasn't the beginning of the level it was the beggining of the shield generator part. I got confused >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom