• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
enzo_gt said:
Saw this comment on this video:

*shudders*

I don't even think its fair to judge campaigns yet without multiple runthroughs and some time to sink it all in, but atm I'm feeling:
5. ODST
4. Halo 3
3 and 2. Reach/Halo 2 tossup for me (to whomever I said that I can't remember any epic moments from Halo 2's campaign, a lot of fond memories came back to me thinking back)
1. Halo
I think I'm pretty much the only person in this thread who hated the campaign. Cheap deaths and constant "Hold this position" missions just kept annoying the hell out of me. Only time I think I had fun was during the Exodus mission, but even that was short lived. *Sigh* To me, personally, I think Bungie lost the campaign magic after CE.

Jobiensis

I don't think I've ever posted in a Halo thread. I am a big CE fan. I'm a scrub to most of Halo GAF, the whole online thing just doesn't hold me like a good campaign level. So far Reach feels like the best since the original. Really the Brutes were not any fun to deal with, and the shields/health is what made Halo special. The AI in reach has some issues figuring out how to get around. It is quite jarring how some elites will just stand there while you pop them 8 times with a DMR.

Anyhow....

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=108725622&player=Jobiensis
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=108841517&player=Jobiensis

I will get this achievement if it kills me. I think the main problem is that the fall is not always lethal, even if sprint is not engaged.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TacticalFox88 said:
I think I'm pretty much the only person in this thread who hated the campaign. Cheap deaths and constant "Hold this position" missions just kept annoying the hell out of me. Only time I think I had fun was during the Exodus mission, but even that was short lived. *Sigh* To me, personally, I think Bungie lost the campaign magic after CE.
An opinion is an opinion as long as you support it. Which cheap deaths are these your talking about? (unless your playing on Legendary)

Red

enzo_gt said:
An opinion is an opinion as long as you support it. Which cheap deaths are these your talking about? (unless your playing on Legendary)
Even on Legendary I thought I had plenty of warning and time to get into cover. Very few of my overall deaths were ones I'd consider cheap (but the ones that were, oh man were they infuriating).

I finally got the "A Monument to All Your Sins" achievement. It surprisingly wasn't too bad. New Alexandria was probably the easiest one for me. Like they say, "Inch by inch, Halo's a cinch, but yard by hard, Halo's hard!"

i don't think they say that, i stole that quote from Brad Shoemaker ;(

I'm almost a Captain so that achievement will come in within the next day or so. The Lt. Colonel one doesn't look too close for me, though. :(

qirex99

Banned
I enjoy Reach's campaign as much as I enjoy CE's campaign. That alone puts it above the other FPS games I've played this generation.

Just finished reach tonite. IMO, the story telling really went WAY beyond what CE did. I actually replayed CE 2 wks before reach dropped.

Reach >>>>CE, any other opinion is influenced by nostalgia.

and thats just the SP (yes, playing halo by YOURSELF IS SP).

include MP, customs, firefight etc, yeah this really is GOTG.

enzo_gt said:
I"m doing my solo legendary run. I'm doing decent (first two missions had their frustrations but nothing too bad), then I come to Nightfall. My God, I stick two plasma grenades two an unshielded elite he somehow survives and rolls behind me for a melee to the back. This isn't just a one time thing, I'm talking multiple times. Same scenario. I finally gave up and just four player co-oped it. So glad MP is sooo good.

minx

minx88 said:
FileShare.aspx

Thanks! Check out my double (almost triple) headshot!

I feel kind of silly asking this...but how the hell do you steal a Wraith in this? I don't rememebr ever having a problem doing it in Halo 2 or 3. But there doesn't seem to be an option to take an occupied Wraith from someone in Reach.

LiK said:
Hemorrhage would be fun if the vehicles constantly spawned in so it would be some epic vehicle battle map. but it sucks right now, imo.
Someone needs to make a gametype where there are no armor abilities, no weapons, no grenades, no ammo in your clip (or very minimal amounts), and no other vehicles but revenants. Call it 8v8 revenant wars, or better yet, make it 2 flag 8v8 revenant wars. That might be interesting on hemorrhage, and Im actually being serious.

ArachosiA 78 said:
I feel kind of silly asking this...but how the hell do you steal a Wraith in this? I don't rememebr ever having a problem doing it in Halo 2 or 3. But there doesn't seem to be an option to take an occupied Wraith from someone in Reach.
I don't think you can in reach.

I Finally finished legendary solo campaign the last stage took me 4hrs to complete. Don't know if this is already known but if you get stuck at a bad checkpoint where you respawn to instant death or a dead end you don't have to restart the mission you revert back to an earlier checkpoint if you keep dying after you respawn. This happened to me a few times during my legendary playthrough where I got stuck at a dead end.

Ugh finally did ONI without dying. Did it solo too which I thought was pretty fucking difficult. Thankfully I got the Gauss Hog up to the Hunters (use some barrels to create a small ramp to pass the barriers).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
-PXG- said:
Campaigns for me:

1) ODST
2) Halo 2
3) Reach
4) CE
5) Halo 3
Consensus seems to be that people either loved or hated ODST, but, for me, its just meh. The story lacked progression, and even moreso, lacked the sense of accomplishment by the end of it. Beyond that I feel all the characters were more like numbers and some of the most forgettable in Halo. Maybe it's just that I have absolutely no drive to play the campaign of ODST again as it feels so tedious to me.

On the contrary, Reach's ending is pretty cinematic, and just, beautiful really. All Halo fans ever wanted was the series to come full circle with Reach, and they goddamn did it. They characterize much better in ODST and it shows.

Trickster

So, I've only played team slayer and arena in multiplayer so far. Then say to myself "let's try something different", so I choose BTB figuring it'll be fun to play some 8v8 objective. Well, the people in this match apparently didn't want to play objective, because they choose snipers...

Campaigns for me -

1. Halo CE
2. Halo 2
3. Halo 3
4. Halo Reach
5. Halo ODST

The story and characters in Reach just didn't do enough for me. The overall story felt rushed and some of the things that happen didn't really have the emotional impact I think bungie intended them to have.

As for ODST. It's repetitive city and constant need to use the VISR that made everything look boring and colorless, totally killed the game for me

Chorazin

Another 1.5 hours trying to get ITCTHMB. I watched my replays, it seems like i'm landing and then killing them but I have no fucking idea. It's absolutely driving me insane.

I'm done with Reach for tonight. Between my frustration over this and ending up in a SWAT or Sniper game when I just want to play Team Slayer I just need to pack it in. :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Chorazin said:
Another 1.5 hours trying to get ITCTHMB. I watched my replays, it seems like i'm landing and then killing them but I have no fucking idea. It's absolutely driving me insane.

I'm done with Reach for tonight. Between my frustration over this and ending up in a SWAT or Sniper game when I just want to play Team Slayer I just need to pack it in. :lol
I was totally lucky getting this achievement. I had about 5 false assassinations before finally getting it. I'm so glad I got it out of the way.

Jobiensis

ArachosiA 78 said:
I feel kind of silly asking this...but how the hell do you steal a Wraith in this?

When you hop on the wraith you need to melee it just enough to kill the driver, then hop off and then you can take control of it.

And my rankings
CE > Reach >> Halo 3 > Halo 2 > ODST

but I did enjoy all of them.

Had some insane betrayals tonight. In one game on Spire, I threw a plasma grenade up one of the lifts. Like 20 seconds later it said I betrayed someone. I was like, what the hell? I watched the video and it seriously went back and forth like a pendulum between two of the lifts for a solid 20 seconds until someone ran into it:lol

The second time I was in a Warthog and was shooting at a Falcon who was tailing our team's Falcon. I destroyed the Falcon which caused a chain explosion which also killed all three people in our team's Falcon and of course, I got booted. Was credited with three betrayals even though I never hit our Falcon with a shot, just collateral damage.

Got both in Saved Films in my File Share.

Oh and I need to say this...Slayer based games on Spire suck. It's too damn big and complex for Slayer game types.

Zel3

INFECTION!!! NEW ZOMBIE!!!
*quits out*
*quits out*
*quits out and a ban*
On the plus side I can't play Zombies for 15 minutes! :)

Oozer3993

Neuromancer said:
Do you guys really think it would have been that hard for Bungie to let us make our own Firefight maps in Forge? I'm no programmer but I would think it wouldn't have been that tough, just let us put in friendly and enemy spawn points and let the enemy AI take over from there. I can see where the Covenant dropships would have been undoable though.

Botolf theorized that Halo is using a system similar to Half-Life where the designers lay out the possible routes through a map for the AI beforehand. It's very deliberate and time consuming, and difficult. It's not something I'd trust in the hands of Halo community at large. Not to mention how hard that would be to actually implement in the game. You're talking about a whole bunch of additional UI and design just to make that actually possible.

TacticalFox88 said:

I didn't hate the campaign, but I'm not all that high on it either. I had the same problems you did. Just off the top of my head I can think of 5 "Defend this position" areas, which, I believe, is more than all 4 other Halo games combined. With the possible exception of the first 2 on Winter Contingency, none of them are fun or interesting. And cheap deaths abound. Seemingly half a dozen times during each mission I'd go from full health and shields to dead in an instant due to Lord knows what. In the end, none of the missions really caught me. I can think of several levels from Halo 3 and Halo 1 that I could play over and over. I can't think of a single one I'd like to run through again for Reach.

thetrin said:
I was totally lucky getting this achievement. I had about 5 false assassinations before finally getting it. I'm so glad I got it out of the way.

Same here. I triggered the assassination animation about 5 times before I finally got it. I did it a couple times in a row even.

Thankfully I got it in about 40 mins. You just have to not really care about it, chill out and do it to kill some time rather than OMG MUST GET NOW.

At least thats how I approached it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ToyMachine228 said:
Had some insane betrayals tonight. In one game on Spire, I threw a plasma grenade up one of the lifts. Like 20 seconds later it said I betrayed someone. I was like, what the hell? I watched the video and it seriously went back and forth like a pendulum between two of the lifts for a solid 20 seconds until someone ran into it:lol

The second time I was in a Warthog and was shooting at a Falcon who was tailing our team's Falcon. I destroyed the Falcon which caused a chain explosion which also killed all three people in our team's Falcon and of course, I got booted. Was credited with three betrayals even though I never hit our Falcon with a shot, just collateral damage.

Oh and I need to say this...Slayer based games on Spire suck. It's too damn big and complex for Slayer game types.
Spire is a great concept for a map, but I've played it way too much. For fuck sake why does everyone keep voting for it over Boneyard/Forge World maps? Heck I'd even take shitty Paradiso over it every once in a while.

Bungie literally gave you no reason for you to care about Noble Team or even Noble Six for that matter. They, like MC himself, are really just generic protagonists. We never get any insight on what their personality quirks are except "Grr I'm a spartan whoo!" Every single one was forgettable and ultimately...they didn't matter. Let's not even mention how much canon they are breaking from the Fall of Reach novel.

"The Covenant are on Reach. I repeat the Covenant are on Reach" In the most monotone voice. You never feel as if things are going to hell. Reach looks intact and you seem to be "winning".Maybe the
Falcon
mission, where you get some of that feeling, but that's about it.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Anyone else still have generic grey bars and the 7th Column icon for all their friends I have to scroll over them for their profiles and party amounts to load. Been doing this since the servers were messed up yesterday, pretty annoying.

-PXG-

enzo_gt said:
Consensus seems to be that people either loved or hated ODST, but, for me, its just meh. The story lacked progression, and even moreso, lacked the sense of accomplishment by the end of it. Beyond that I feel all the characters were more like numbers and some of the most forgettable in Halo. Maybe it's just that I have absolutely no drive to play the campaign of ODST again as it feels so tedious to me.

On the contrary, Reach's ending is pretty cinematic, and just, beautiful really. All Halo fans ever wanted was the series to come full circle with Reach, and they goddamn did it. They characterize much better in ODST and it shows.

I've noticed that too.

I've learned to almost completely disregard the Halo story, or at least, Bungie's perspective. There are way too many plot holes and too many things open to debate, especially in Halo 3. I HATED Halo 3's campaign and despised the story. It was handled so poorly.

I think the lore of the Halo universe is very interesting. Contrarily, it's how it is told in the games themselves, which is most dreadful. In my opinion, Bungie is incapable of making characters I can give a single fuck about. Every character, even the Chief, was contrived, lifeless, boring and didn't do anything to help drive the story.

The Arbiter was the only interesting character in the entire franchise. And what did they do to him? They completely neutered and watered him down in Halo 3. He wasn't nearly as significant as he was in Halo 2. Additionally, ODST and Reach were wasted opportunities. With those games, Bungie could have redeemed themselves of what they had to done to Arby and the rest of cast from the main story arc. But instead, they created even more, useless, forgettable characters that did absolutely nothing to shed more light in either games. Giving ODSTs attitudes and sassy remarks doesn't make them memorable. Merely showing Spartans' faces and showing them die, isn't enough to make me care. But I guess that is what people at Bungie consider good/proper character development.

I don't mean to sound hateful or angry at Bungie. Just giving my honest two cents.

Kibbles

Are there any Reach impressions from MLG Pros? I'm interested in hearing their thoughts.
TacticalFox88 said:
I loved Reach but yeah, the constant "hold this position" parts were a bummer. Those annoyed the shit out of me. The gameplay was really fun in most parts though which is why I like the Campaign a lot, along with the fantastic cutscenes.

My Campaign List:

1. Halo 1 (replay this every so often, classic)
2. Halo Reach/Halo 2 (just replayed H2V on Legendary, still feels and sounds awesome. Reach being tied might still be cause of the hype, but missions like Nightfall were awesome)
3. Halo 3
4. ODST (This doesn't mean it sucks, I still think ODST is good, it's just my least favorite, and I don't really think of it as repetitive as the others)

I typically don't like to order things in terms of favorite to least, but that's what's going through my mind right now.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I got booted last night for a betrayal last night because a teammate walked in front of my sniper rifle while I was trained on someone. I wasn't at the top, but I was in the middle somewhere.

If I was trying to teamkill, I probably wouldn't have any kills at all, you fucking morons.

Oozer3993

ToyMachine228 said:

That reminds me, during my shenanigans with the Falcon on Winter Contingency, I at one point spawned the other Falcon to pick up the Marine, which got me stuck in a dead end. I was piloting the Falcon that was supposed to pick me up and take me to the relay. If you're piloting the Falcon you can't get there because there's an invisible barrier. I was stuck, so I decided to shoot the other Falcon as it flew away. I got -100 for each Marine in it, then, for some reason, +200 for destroying the Falcon. Apparently you, a UNSC soldier, are rewarded for blowing up UNSC property. During wartime. :lol

So I'm trying for that assassination achievement in Nightfall and it's not that I don't believe it can be done, but I've pulled off 4 or 5 assassinations and it hasn't unlocked and I'm not sure why. I know I'm not holding the sprint button so what else could it be?

thetrin

Neuromancer said:
So I'm trying for that assassination achievement in Nightfall and it's not that I don't believe it can be done, but I've pulled off 4 or 5 assassinations and it hasn't unlocked and I'm not sure why. I know I'm not holding the sprint button so what else could it be?

Why are you doing it on nightfall?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
thetrin said:
I got booted last night for a betrayal last night because a teammate walked in front of my sniper rifle while I was trained on someone. I wasn't at the top, but I was in the middle somewhere.

If I was trying to teamkill, I probably wouldn't have any kills at all, you fucking morons.

Yeah, it's really stupid. Legit griefers can just follow and pepper you with bullets, even if they're doing a lot of actual damage to your health, the system won't let you do anything...and if you try and get them to stop(kill them), they can now boot you. :lol

Anybody on probation want to help me confirm a cheat to get around the ban?

After you leave a game (or get booted), there's a short loading screen (with the LED patterns) before you hit the matchmaking menu. During this loading screen, pull the battery pack off your controller so you get the 'no controller detected message'. Wait for the menu to come up, put your batteries back in.

I've done it around 10 times now to get out of SWAT and off terrible Arena teams that don't know the meaning of 'teamshot', and haven't been banned...

It seems as though Bungie's 'One or more players have a disconnected controller' message overrides the ban message. Fix the disconnected controller and the system thinks everything is hunky dory again. :lol

-PXG-

As for game play, ODST had excellent pacing. Halo was always been criticized for having repetive level design. That and being called a "corridor shooter". Data Hive was the only level in ODST that featured any repeating elements. But what I loved was the pacing and mission variety. Every character had their own stories, their own scenarios, their own locations, their own mission, their own set of weapons and set objectives.

As seemingly disjointed as it was, I liked how the plot jumped from one character to the next. I loved the idea of going to various places, but being slightly unaware of when or how people tread through it before you. I only wish there was more to do at night, besides going from point A to point B. The open "world" of New Mombasa became more interesting if you collected the items for Sadie's story. Anyway, that element was very unique and something that set ODST apart from the other games. And because of that, is why I think it's so great and others should at least appreciate it a little more.

Sure, a lot of people will argue that it was painfully short. But like the old saying goes, "Quality over quantity".

Beat Long Night of Solace on Legendary, thanks for the tips. Seems I just needed a night's rest as it was pretty easy once I tried again.

I thought that the main engine room would be problematic but got some awesome assassinations and then only had a couple of dudes to take care of.

4 more missions to go. Sigh.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Buckethead said:
Beat Long Night of Solace on Legendary, thanks for the tips. Seems I just needed a night's rest as it was pretty easy once I tried again.

I thought that the main engine room would be problematic but got some awesome assassinations and then only had a couple of dudes to take care of.

4 more missions to go. Sigh.
Sounds like you need to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tawnOvY-DcM

thetrin

Kibbles said:
Some people think it's easier on Nightfall.

Didn't know that. I got it back when PoA was the only known way to do it.

Red

TacticalFox88 said:
Bungie literally gave you no reason for you to care about Noble Team or even Noble Six for that matter. They, like MC himself, are really just generic protagonists. We never get any insight on what their personality quirks are except "Grr I'm a spartan whoo!" Every single one was forgettable and ultimately...they didn't matter. Let's not even mention how much canon they are breaking from the Fall of Reach novel.

"The Covenant are on Reach. I repeat the Covenant are on Reach" In the most monotone voice. You never feel as if things are going to hell. Reach looks intact and you seem to be "winning".Maybe the
Falcon
mission, where you get some of that feeling, but that's about it.
Coming off of ODST, I noticed a slight step back in characterization. ODST did great things with giving the environment a personality. That extended to the Rookie, who, as an essential noncharacter, really impressed me in how much I ended up liking him. The way he considers each clue was charming.

Others may disagree, but I think ODST had the best characterization of the series. MC&Cortana have a nice back and forth, but they are the only exceptions. I was never a fan of Johnson, Keyes, or Miranda. Never liked the Arbiter either. He's a really basic, single-minded foil for Master Chief. Didn't mind the reduction of his role in H3.

Reach's characters were mostly shallow and unexplored, but a few of them have moments where they shine. Loved Jorge, Six, and Emile. Jun and Kat were the "blankest" and most boring to me, and Carter was the most cliched stereotype. I did not expect to like Emile as much as I did, but
"It's been an honor, sir," and "I'm ready, how 'bout you?!" redeemed him in my eyes.
Six's lines "I have it," and "I've got the gun," added a lot to his personality. Without those he's basically just a blank slate.

I consider Six a male even though I use the female model. The male VA is much better here in almost all circumstances.

As for the ITCTHMB achievement... has anyone tried simply doing a midair assassination from a regular jump? That worked for me. Specifically against the one Elite inside the hangar bay on Long Night of Solace.

qirex99

Banned
ArachosiA 78 said:

you have to disable the wraith first and then kill the gunner.

easy way is a charged plasma pistol and then a needler to the gunner. when he explodes from the needler, it kills the driver too. Alternately, I did it a few times with a plasma grenade (after the plasma blast to disable the wraith), but this way leaves you asmokin, damaged wraith.

ps, the plama pistol charge works against banshees TOO!

-PXG- said:
I've noticed that too.

I've learned to almost completely disregard the Halo story, or at least, Bungie's perspective. There are way too many plot holes and too many things open to debate, especially in Halo 3. I HATED Halo 3's campaign and despised the story. It was handled so poorly.

I think the lore of the Halo universe is very interesting. Contrarily, it's how it is told in the games themselves, which is most dreadful. In my opinion, Bungie is incapable of making characters I can give a single fuck about. Every character, even the Chief, was contrived, lifeless, boring and didn't do anything to help drive the story.

The Arbiter was the only interesting character in the entire franchise. And what did they do to him? They completely neutered and watered him down in Halo 3. He wasn't nearly as significant as he was in Halo 2. Additionally, ODST and Reach were wasted opportunities. With those games, Bungie could have redeemed themselves of what they had to done to Arby and the rest of cast from the main story arc. But instead, they created even more, useless, forgettable characters that did absolutely nothing to shed more light in either games. Giving ODSTs attitudes and sassy remarks doesn't make them memorable. Merely showing Spartans' faces and showing them die, isn't enough to make me care. But I guess that is what people at Bungie consider good/proper character development.

I don't mean to sound hateful or angry at Bungie. Just giving my honest two cents.

I think Jorge got enough develoment to qualify, but yeah, most of the game characters are very "meh," and even when Bungie made several great characters in Halo 2 (the Arbiter, Truth, Gravemind (although quite a lot was lost between his concept art and the finished product)), they completely destroyed them in 3 by making the Arbiter into a bit character and completely removing his storyline except for one scene where he stabs Truth and turning Truth into a raving lunatic where he was a genuinely threatening, Machiavellian Magnificent Bastard in Halo 2.

Gravemind was the only one who stayed constant, but we never really got the feeling of his omnipresence we were supposed to. Cortana could have been so much more awesome than it was. Imagine that, instead of lame pseudo-cutscenes every twenty seconds, having to dodge Gravemind tentacles, sprinting from room to room in a mad dash to get to Cortana. Too slow, and Gravemind slams you into a wall and kills you. If you have a sword or the flamethower, you could even beat back the tentacles. Like a Warthog run, only on foot.

Instead, we got probably the worst level in any Halo game.

Holy shit, I just realized that
Bungie foreshadowed Kat's death in her profile on Bungie.net. It says there that she has had lapses in situational awareness before; this is exactly how she died in the game. She forgot to turn her shields on, which would have saved her.

That event just went from random and pointless to really cool in my book.

What's so hard about playing a match you don't want to play?
You might get better at a specific weapon or something because of it.

Buncha babies.

Also: Why are they removing Classic Slayer? You dicks.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
dslgunstar said:
Anybody on probation want to help me confirm a cheat to get around the ban?

After you leave a game (or get booted), there's a short loading screen (with the LED patterns) before you hit the matchmaking menu. During this loading screen, pull the battery pack off your controller so you get the 'no controller detected message'. Wait for the menu to come up, put your batteries back in.

I've done it around 10 times now to get out of SWAT and off terrible Arena teams that don't know the meaning of 'teamshot', and haven't been banned...

It seems as though Bungie's 'One or more players have a disconnected controller' message overrides the ban message. Fix the disconnected controller and the system thinks everything is hunky dory again. :lol
You're exaggerating. You racked up five quits in the Arena tonight. One after you died a single time (you had no kills), and two where your team went on to lose by 10 kills, shorthanded. Had you stuck around, they likely would have won. At the very least they would have been competitive games.

But by all means, continue to test your controller disconnect theory. I'm sure it's foolproof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom