• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, mostly out of protest.

The Arena is supposed to be this super-competitive area for people that know what they're doing. I don't want to be there. The PROBLEM is that SWAT and Snipers have rendered the Team Slayer list basically unplayable. So I go to the Arena for my fix. If I'm going to be matched up against skilled, ultra competitive people, I'd like a few decent players on my side too.

Once SWAT gets its own playlist, I'll be happy as a pig in shit in a real Team Slayer playlist.

And yes Urk, I quit pretty early in games. Hopeless situations don't get better as the match progresses. In CoD, sure, you can come back from a deficit. In Halo, particularly in the Arena, the skill gap is often obvious enough to see the outcome coming ahead of time.

Veelk

Banned
I have to ask something to people who are complaining about the lack of character development and personalities in Reach:

Are you aware of what Spartans are? I mean, I know you know they are supersoldiers, but are you aware of what in the deepest core of themselves? Weapons. From childhood, usually ages 5-8, they were taken in and implemented into a strict military regimen. Everything they were and everything they think was all guided and related to military operations. I'm not saying they are robots, they have personalities, could think for themselves, even rebelled in small ways, but the UNSC did it's best to strip all humanity off them. They cared about their spartan friends, but only because they were reliable allies in military operations, not because of their personalities. They were trained to suppress any emotional outburst they happen to feel. There was a time where Master Chief was attacked as a child by others. He fought back and won, but it was because he had been trained by the military to do so, not because of the natural instinct of self preservation. They do not have a life outside missions and preparing for the next mission. Do you know why Master Chief fought as hard as he did? Why he saved all of humanity and became a hero? It wasn't for any personal love for his world, not for any person (though there were people he liked and respected). It's because the military told him to. That was his mission, so he was going to see it through.

You complain about how they were blank slates without much personality. That's exactly what they are suppose to be. Halo's universe is fascinating and contains some truly complex, interesting, and sympathetic characters (Halsey is my personal favorite), but the spartan program is not where to look for them.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
dslgunstar said:
And yes Urk, I quit pretty early in games. Hopeless situations don't get better as the match progresses. In CoD, sure, you can come back from a deficit. In Halo, particularly in the Arena, the skill gap is often obvious enough to see the outcome coming ahead of time.

You were the dead weight in these cases. Had your teammates not been unfortunate enough to be paired up with a player who flees in terror after their ultra skilled opponents dealt one single death, they likely would have won.

Cynar

urk said:
You're exaggerating. You racked up five quits in the Arena tonight. One after you died a single time (you had no kills), and two where your team went on to lose by 10 kills, shorthanded. Had you stuck around, they likely would have won. At the very least they would have been competitive games.

But by all means, continue to test your controller disconnect theory. I'm sure it's foolproof.

I love you :lol

Trasher

dslgunstar said:
Meh, mostly out of protest.

The Arena is supposed to be this super-competitive area for people that know what they're doing. I don't want to be there. The PROBLEM is that SWAT and Snipers have rendered the Team Slayer list basically unplayable. So I go to the Arena for my fix. If I'm going to be matched up against skilled, ultra competitive people, I'd like a few decent players on my side too.

Once SWAT gets its own playlist, I'll be happy as a pig in shit in a real Team Slayer playlist.

You gain nothing from quitting a game early. Play it out at least, and especially in Arena. Maybe you will learn something. It makes an already miserable match even more miserable for those who don't quit. Man up, take the beating, and you will get a few extra credits out of the deal and won't risk getting a 15 minute timeout.

Buckethead said:
What AA bug?
What's AA?

:lol
Armor Ability. Right now if you play a Classic mode you will randomly be given the Sprint AA after a few deaths. It's funny because some people will have it while others do not.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Trasher said:
You gain nothing from quitting a game early. Play it out at least, and especially in Arena. Maybe you will learn something. It makes an already miserable match even more miserable for those who don't quit. Man up, take the beating, and you will get a few extra credits out of the deal and won't risk getting a 15 minute timeout.

What he should do is stop going into Arena alone!! The more people you play with, the better time you'll have. There are a ton of HaloGAF who play, make some friends.

_Bro

Banned
Chorazin said:
Another two fucking hours down the shitter trying to get the motherfucking ITCTHMB achievement. This bring me to a total of 5 goddamn hours on this buggy crap. I watch all the videos. I try all the tips, i try variations, I try Nightfall, I try PoA, NOTHING.

This is driving me up the wall!!!
Man, it's just an achievement.

Kapura

Banned
urk, if you're reading the thread, what's the dealio with integration of community content? Incompetent cartographer ended very quickly, and you'd made the internet a promise to show the vetting process for community content. Is that out the window?

Sai-kun

Banned
dslgunstar said:

I have to say, this is some bull. Some of my most epic matches have been awesome comebacks when we're down by 10 or so. (obviously there are a lot of times where the gap never closes, but you never know till you try right?)

Trasher

Buckethead said:
Oh weird. Didn't know that.

I love classic though. It's my fav.
So will you still like it when it's fixed and you don't have Sprint? :p

Sai-kun said:
I have to say, this is some bull. Some of my most epic matches have been awesome comebacks when we're down by 10 or so. (obviously there are a lot of times where the gap never closes, but you never know till you try right?)
Says the guy who quits regularly. :p

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I don't know what was going on in matchmaking Firefight today. I had 3 games in a row where I just had a teammate follow me around and shoot at me constantly. I'm guessing he wanted me to retaliate and kill him so he could boot me for a betrayal. But I'm not sure how that would have benefited him at all. The biggest asshat kept dropping a bubble shield on top of us in hopes that one of the grenades I shot from my launcher would get stuck in the bubble and kill him. It was extremely aggravating.

I never retaliated until some dick kid killed me to get the ghost I was using. I had zero problem with giving him a taste of my laser. It was one of those "if I can't have it, then no one can" situations.

Apath

Sai-kun said:
Yeah, come backs happen in Halo pretty often. I have absolutely nothing against quiting, but quiting from the Arena play list is just dick.

-PXG-

Generic said:
I have to ask something to people who are complaining about the lack of character development and personalities in Reach:

Are you aware of what Spartans are? I mean, I know you know they are supersoldiers, but are you aware of what in the deepest core of themselves? Weapons. From childhood, usually ages 5-8, they were taken in and implemented into a strict military regimen. Everything they were and everything they think was all guided and related to military operations. I'm not saying they are robots, they have personalities, could think for themselves, even rebelled in small ways, but the UNSC did it's best to strip all humanity off them. They cared about their spartan friends, but only because they were reliable allies in military operations, not because of their personalities. They were trained to suppress any emotional outburst they happen to feel. There was a time where Master Chief was attacked as a child by others. He fought back and won, but it was because he had been trained by the military to do so, not because of the natural instinct of self preservation. They do not have a life outside missions and preparing for the next mission. Do you know why Master Chief fought as hard as he did? Why he saved all of humanity and became a hero? It wasn't for any personal love for his world, not for any person (though there were people he liked and respected). It's because the military told him to. That was his mission, so he was going to see it through.

You complain about how they were blank slates without much personality. That's exactly what they are suppose to be. Halo's universe is fascinating and contains some truly complex, interesting, and sympathetic characters (Halsey is my personal favorite), but the spartan program is not where to look for them.

Yes, I am aware that Spartans are more machine than man, and that their training made them into the cold, emotionless beings that they are. However, from the get go, you're stuck with an already uninteresting base for a character. Why use such a boring figure as your lead character? Also, does that justify lazy or underdeveloped characters? I think not.

Reach did make an attempt to make Spartans more human, which I liked. If only the Spartans of Noble Team had more dialogue as well as more meaningful deaths (Jorge's was the only one that was done well IMO), then I would have cared more about them. ODST and Reach were steps in the right direction, but there was still a lot more room for improvement.

And yes, besides the Arbiter, Truth and Gravemind were also fairly interesting characters as well. It's odd how Covenant and Flood figures are more fascinating than humans. You would think that human characters would be more developed and easier to relate with. Guess not. Overall, I find the Covenant more interesting than the UNSC. I mean, face it, the UNSC is just another group of generic space marines. I'd love know more about the Covenant's history, culture, religion and politcal system. Halo 2 gave us a taste of that. I want more.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tashi0106 said:
Anti Aliasing. The game has soooo many jaggies lolz
lk6pe.jpg

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Kapura said:
urk, if you're reading the thread, what's the dealio with integration of community content? Incompetent cartographer ended very quickly, and you'd made the internet a promise to show the vetting process for community content. Is that out the window?
Nope. Once the launch madness settles, we'll dig back in. Patience, Willow.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I've now earned all the achievements I can besides those that rely on rank (which I will slowly march to), and... Legendary campaign :(

Time to begin the slow, awful slog through the remaining six missions. It took me 93 minutes and 37 deaths to make it through Legendary Nightfall, this afternoon.

I have NEVER gotten 1000/1000 in a game before. There is always one bullshit chievo (kill all pigeons). So since I know I won't be doing the BS one, I don't bother with the rest of them, either.

But in Reach... I'm compelled.

AkuMifune

Banned
Sai-kun said:

Not to mention it's better to lose with honor than be a quitter. I know, I lose with honor all the time. :D

Finished my solo Legendary run and really enjoying MP. Glad they 'accidentally' announced more achievements, hope some of them are tied to the challenges, they rule.

Trasher

Buckethead said:
Shouldn't everyone have sprint? It was in Slayer in Halo 1-3.

It'd be better with it. But I'm fine with a no-powerup slayer.
Well the reason I ask is because the Classic gametype was never supposed to have any AAs in it. I personally love Sprint only games.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Kapura said:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f342/kapuraIII/fjspart.png[IMG]

And T plywood, I just sucked it up and bought the HDD. Sucks ass, but what else can I do?[/QUOTE]
Overpriced, unless you went the other route of making your own compatible 120gb hd.

Quick Question:

I bought Reach, but won't be able to really play it until around Thanksgiving at the earliest. How far behind on the credits bandwagon will I really be?

LordAlu

GDJustin said:
I've now earned all the achievements I can besides those that rely on rank (which I will slowly march to), and... Legendary campaign :(

Time to begin the slow, awful slog through the remaining six missions. It took me 93 minutes and 37 deaths to make it through Legendary Nightfall, this afternoon.

I have NEVER gotten 1000/1000 in a game before. There is always one bullshit chievo (kill all pigeons). So since I know I won't be doing the BS one, I don't bother with the rest of them, either.

But in Reach... I'm compelled.
Go for it, I just have the rank ones left too. Legendary is pretty easy too, just hang back a bit and let the AI Spartans take the flak (for example on Nightfall Jun took care of both hunters whilst I watched from afar). Oh, and the Plasma Pistol is godly.

In fact, I enjoyed it so much I might do another run :)

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Quick Question:

I bought Reach, but won't be able to really play it until around Thanksgiving at the earliest. How far behind on the credits bandwagon will I really be?

Pretty far, but it doesn't really matter. Credits only buy you cosmetic items so you're not going to be disadvantaged in any meaningful way.

GhaleonEB

Good grief. Looks like I'll be posting the second OT in the morning, as we'll be at about 20,000 posts. Just earlier today I said it would show up around Tuesday. :lol

Going title: Remember R E A C H |OT 2| - I'll skim suggestions and run with whatever sounds good in the morning.

Very near finishing the geometry on my map, at long last. Got a layout I'm very, very happy with (mostly redesigned since the last post) and am essentially left with putting the finishing touches on blocking off of the edges as much as possible to minimize vehicles plunging to their demise (at least, when they aren't supposed to). Should be parking weapons down tomorrow. Yay.

Veelk

Banned
-PXG- said:
Yes, I am aware that Spartans are more machine than man, and that their training made them into the cold, emotionless beings that they are. However, from the get go, you're stuck with an already uninteresting base for a character. But does justify lazy or underdeveloped characters? I think not.

Reach did make an attempt to make Spartans more human, which I liked. If only the Spartans of Noble Team had more dialogue as well as more meaningful deaths (Jorge's was the only one that was done well IMO), then I would have cared more about them. ODST and Reach were steps in the right direction, but there was still a lot more room for improvement.

How is it lazy writing if the Spartans are SUPPOSE to be more machine than man? You do realize that flat and static characters are not necessarily bad characters right?

The game is called Halo: REACH. It's not about Noble 6 or even Noble Team. It's about a dying planet and Noble Team is merely there to you a perspective to play it out. Some stories have the characters or plot take center stage, but this is neither. Here, it's more about the setting. Which is why, in this case, Noble Teams lack of development is actually beneficial to the story.

Sai-kun

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Good grief. Looks like I'll be posting |OT 2| in the morning, as we'll be at about 20,000 posts. Just earlier today I said it would show up around Tuesday. :lol

Going title: Remember R E A C H |OT 2| - I'll skim suggestions and run with whatever sounds good in the morning.

Very near finishing the geometry on my map, at long last. Got a layout I'm very, very happy with (mostly redesigned since the last post) and am essentially left with putting the finishing touches on blocking off of the edges as much as possible to minimize vehicles plunging to their demise (at least, when they aren't supposed to). Should be parking weapons down tomorrow. Yay.

just a sidenote for everyone

you need to get hyped for ghaleon's map :D

urk said:
You were the dead weight in these cases. Had your teammates not been unfortunate enough to be paired up with a player who flees in terror after their ultra skilled opponents dealt one single death, they likely would have won.

It's not about fleeing in terror, lol. It's about an obviously one-sided match. You can learn enough from a single death and it's context to determine what's to come.

I know that if I'm getting shot with insane precision by four players simultaneously, just after my teammates decide to ignore my pleas to communicate and work a basic map strategy and run in separate directions, then I've learned all I need to know. I can save myself the misery and jump into a different game. Or play some campaign with friends.

I do also just rage-quit sometimes though, I'll admit. Watching a grenade peel away an enemy's shields, then pouring 5 or 6 rounds into his chest with no effect is usually enough to get me to hit the exit option and toss my controller away in disgust.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Buckethead said:
How in God's name did you get to Colonel?

Gruntpocalypse ad-nausem?

I'm not a colonel. I'm about to hit Captain. I just know that I eventually will be.

Kapura

Banned
dslgunstar said:
It's not about fleeing in terror, lol. It's about an obviously one-sided match. You can learn enough from a single death and it's context to determine what's to come.

I know that if I'm getting shot with insane precision by four players simultaneously, just after my teammates decide to ignore my pleas to communicate and work a basic map strategy and run in separate directions, then I've learned all I need to know. I can save myself the misery and jump into a different game. Or play some campaign with friends.

I do also just rage-quit sometimes though, I'll admit. Watching a grenade peel away an enemy's shields, then pouring 5 or 6 rounds into his chest with no effect is usually enough to get me to hit the exit option and toss my controller away in disgust.
obamam-lol-y-u-mad-tho.jpg

Suck it up. Take it like a man. Don't play like a little girl throwing a tantrum because she didn't get the correct flavour of sweeties. Stick with it; you still get rated and can still do pretty well even if you lose.

Generic said:
How is it lazy writing if the Spartans are SUPPOSE to be more machine than man? You do realize that flat and static characters are not necessarily bad characters right?

The game is called Halo: REACH. It's not about Noble 6 or even Noble Team. It's about a dying planet and Noble Team is merely there to you a perspective to play it out. Some stories have the characters or plot take center stage, but this is neither. Here, it's more about the setting. Which is why, in this case, Noble Teams lack of development is actually beneficial to the story.

The characters don't even come across that they're supposed to be 'more machine than man', they seem like they're supposed to have personality and humanity it's just not shown very well. And focusing on the setting doesn't make a good excuse for letting character development fall by the wayside, they're a big part of the experience and they're just not fleshed out properly.

Safe Bet

Banned
Mik2121 said:
I'm not even a good player and I get people really angry when using the jetpack or armor lock. Soooo much fun :lol
A guy who spent the entire match raining grenades on me from above (jetpack) wouldn't quit crying about me using AL.

Irony?

big ander

dslgunstar said:

:lol :lol You cannot predict an entire match from a single death.
I've had games that started off with me getting donged in a fashion of which any donger would be proud. But if you stick it out and step up your game instead of whining about not getting a kill when you were firing your DMR like RDJ as a lead farmer in Tropic Thunder, you might go huge and surprise yourself.

Victrix

*beard*
Seriously every one to two pages in this thread is him whining, bitching, complaining, or now, actively trying to justify his selfish quitting

Apath

Safe Bet said:
A guy who spent the entire match raining grenades on me from above (jetpack) wouldn't quit crying about me using AL.

Irony?
People who spam jet packs are a guaranteed to spew never-ending streams of bitching when some is using armor lock.

Victrix said:
Seriously every one to two pages in this thread is him whining, bitching, complaining, or now, actively trying to justify his selfish quitting

I'm not trying to justify it. I'm just devoid of empathy.

Veelk

Banned
Neverender said:
The characters don't even come across that they're supposed to be 'more machine than man', they seem like they're supposed to have personality and humanity it's just not shown very well. And focusing on the setting doesn't make a good excuse for letting character development fall by the wayside, they're a big part of the experience and they're just not fleshed out properly.

They have personality, they just don't have depth. This makes them basic archtypes. Emile is sociopathic, showing very little empathy towards anyone (
like that woman who just lost her father, mocking Jorge for trying to console her
), while Jorge is the opposite,
trying to connect to the woman and sacrificing himself for his home
. Kat shows an almost playful persona, sarcastic, as if it's all game, which is fine by her since she seems to enjoy the act of getting info she is not meant to. Creative too,
making an entire plan based off using intel she is not suppose to have in a way that's completely insane, but incredibly effective
. Carter is a straight leader archtype, but arguably has the most depth. He almost always knows what to do and cares about his team
(like when he threatened Halsey because she threatened Kat), but he showed a contradictory emotion to that: doubt when all seemed hopeless
. Jun is less emotional than of the others, seeing this as his job and that's basically it. A pragmatic sort of fellow,
having no issues with fighting along side insurgents when the covenant are here. His only uniqueness is that he talks a lot. If you are willing to do some inferring, you could almost argue it's his way to try and connect to people.
Then you have Noble 6 is suppose to be the player representation, like Master Chief, so, no, he has no personality so the player can insert his own better. See, they have personalities because there is no way you could confuse any one of these characters for another, even without resorting to physical descriptions. This is exactly the way Master Chief was. He had a sense of humor, a select number of people he cared about, but that's about the extent of it. He's a Spartan and so are they. They are there to serve a function, which is to ensure the security of humanity against the Covenant. How are they not machine like in that way?

And it does excuse them perfectly well. They are not suppose to 'develop' into anything. They are static characters because thats all they need to be. Good storytelling doesn't always mean more. Sometimes, it means less.

Apath

Generic said:
And it does excuse them perfectly well. They are not suppose to 'develop' into anything. They are static characters because thats all they need to be. Good storytelling doesn't always mean more. Sometimes, it means less.
In this case it wasn't. The entirety of the plot was following the characters, and people felt nothing for them. While you found the experience satisfying without deep characterization, many people did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom