• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Challenges:

5029457672_c78a24c873.jpg

Again this is why I play invasion, it uses ALL the weapons due to the progression system :D

2500k for a leg run with a friend? much better then yesterdays gimped no death run. *edit* ah wait it's the weekly... lol.

Weekly challenges should always be worth 5k I think, and something which takes time to earn.

Veelk

Banned
Neverender said:
But the story doesn't show that at all. If that was the angle they were going for it would have been much clearer. You can still show them being heartless battle machines without completely removing character development. As it is they go halfway there in fleshing Noble Team out, not making them tools of the UNSC but not entirely making them relatable characters either.

No one said they were heartless killing machines, because they are not. Just very simple minded people, singular in their purpose, machine like. What, you've never known someone and have them come across, not as stupid, but just a person with a very simple, straighforward mind set with maybe a personality quirk? I'd be surprised if you haven't, but if you have, they are relatable. Spartans are basically that. They have fleeting specks of personality, such as Chief's humor and easy of confidence, but otherwise have their entire lives dedicated to the UNSC. Simple minded.

dslgunstar said:
Well ideally you wouldn't write a story that necessitated poor characters. Hell, even James Cameron managed to write a story about a fucking robot sent back through time and managed to give him a hint of personality. There's no reason to say 'hey, let's make fiction where the primary protagonists are completely boring and interchangable!' unless you're covering for an inability to write a compelling character.

Well, gee, thank god you came along. Here, I thought Neal Stephenson's Anathem presented great and interesting idea's. But No! Characters are shit, so everything about it is shit. Neal Stephenson is a talentless hack who is just covering up his horrible stories with those intriguing thoughts of his, spread the word! Or what about Joyce Carol Oates? Her stories are practically Halo-like in the ways they can be interpreted, but if you take them on a literal level, god damn, are they horrible and boring and uninteresting. She is clearly a shitty writer and completely undeserving of any recognition. Put Beowulf on here too. It's basically a man who fights monsters, but his motivations are left ambiguous, meaning he's a shallow character! The reader must make NO effort on his part to give meaning to anything!

Oh, and you are really exaggerating the lack of characters of Noble Team. With the exception of maybe Jun and 6, they all have more personality than Ahnold had (if not as many memorable quotes), though he developed more than they did (and at the end, he still did not have more personality than them). They all fit into basic archtypes.

Seriously, you guys, all of you, are totally missing the point. You are like that guy whose review Eosos posted in the previous page. He criticized Halo for lacking realistic physics, when it's not about that. It's not because Bungie can't do realistic physics, it's because it would be detrimental to what they are trying to do(which is to make the game fun). Realistic physics can be impressive and fun as well, but one does not negate the other.

To be clear, I'm not insulting either of you by comparing you to that moron, but, like him, you are presuming that for a story to be good it MUST have good characters the same way a game's physics must be realistic, and it doesn't. There are several ways to tell a good story while having rather flat characters, and bungie did so by telling it through the setting. Making explicitly rounded characters on screen takes time, would contradict canon, and that would have taken away from carnage that's going on around reach, but you guys aren't even considering the detrimental effects it would have in Reach's presentation of a dying world if they spent all that time developing the characters of 6 people when, by all accounts, it's clear to me that Reach is the star of the show, not Noble Team. If you don't think it is, then I'd like to hear how you came to that conclusion after all the evidence I have given or if you simply prefer stories that are about characters as oppose to other story devices, like plot or setting, then that's something else altogether. However, the point that I must emphasise is this: Characters alone do not carry a story.

Jex

Diablohead said:
Again this is why I play invasion, it uses ALL the weapons due to the progression system :D

2500k for a leg run with a friend? much better then yesterdays gimped no death run. .
That was an awesome challenge.

Jexhius said:
That was an awesome challenge.
I'd agree if it was worth more then one grunt firefight run, the reason why I passed on it just because it wasn't really worth the time, plus i'm playing the game in legendary solo right now anyway.

Victrix

*beard*
Photolysis said:
The Pistol is a poor man's DMR. You can use it to get a shot off at range, but in a firefight, the DMR wins hands down due to the much faster rate of fire. Because of the accuracy limitations, it's also not that great for knocking a guy out of scope either.

This is backwards, the Magnum has the faster fire rate, not the DMR. At closer ranges, you can crack shields and finish a DMR user faster than he can kill you.

But yes, the shallow mag size and bloom limit its effectiveness at a distance (as it should really).

Incidentally, crouch firing has a very significant impact on the Magnum (and the AR for that matter). Something to keep in mind if you are going for precision shots at a distance.

If you crouch shoot with the DMR you can fire at max speed without much of a penalty, I love doing it on boneyard against the elies, they die in like 3 seconds :lol

I also favour a .45 more then the DMR, I am a pistol pro.

Victrix said:
This is backwards, the Magnum has the faster fire rate, not the DMR. At closer ranges, you can crack shields and finish a DMR user faster than he can kill you.

But yes, the shallow mag size and bloom limit its effectiveness at a distance (as it should really).

Incidentally, crouch firing has a very significant impact on the Magnum (and the AR for that matter). Something to keep in mind if you are going for precision shots at a distance.

I'm talking about long range here. You can fire the *Magnum faster than the DMR, but you won't hit anything but the sky. If you want to hit stuff, you need to use an extremely slow ROF, whilst the DMR guy can fire his weapon much faster whilst still hitting you. Up close, this is reversed.

*Actually B.net lists it as Magnum - M6G Pistol so if we're being pedantic both are correct

Anyone know how the image you set in your share folder as Trophy works? Halo 3 would display your image on your main stat page but it's not like that for Reach.

Photolysis said:
Heh, try the Pistol on Invasion Spire verses Needle Rifle Elites. You get utterly destroyed. Had that happen yesterday actually, the other team rushed down and annihilated the Spartans. Boneyard is far better for this due to the larger amounts of cover, and because there are far less places with high ground and good LOS.

WAIT A MINUTE. I'm speaking strictly about Spartan vs. Spartan matches. Invasion is a whole different beast, and starting weapons, and loadouts should (and do) reflect that.

Photolysis said:
The Pistol is a poor man's DMR. You can use it to get a shot off at range, but in a firefight, the DMR wins hands down due to the much faster rate of fire. Because of the accuracy limitations, it's also not that great for knocking a guy out of scope either.

Being a "poor man's DMR" is exactly WHY I prefer AR/Pistol spawns. I LIKE having to fight with my opponent to gain the weapon advantage. It puts a much bigger focus on movement around the map to get the upper hand rather than everyone being mid-long range beasts right off the bat, and most sticking to that zone instead of searching for something "better"....which unless you're beast with the Sniper, there isn't.

Photolysis said:
It's not inevitable because it dramatically raises the skill requirement to pull it off. You can fight out of them with DMRs.

And you SHOULD be able to fight out of it with the Pistol. Not being able to is a map issue.

Photolysis said:
The trouble is, this also significantly reduces the types of map you can make.

It really doesn't. As we can see with Hemorrhage, no map should consist of large plains without cover, or spawns that leave you completely exposed to immediate DMR fire. Every map should have cover to avoid things like spawn traps, especially being trapped because 2 guys got DMRs before your team did.

Photolysis said:
It doesn't really leave much of a hole. The other guys without DMRs can easily mop up the weakened enemies. And having 2 guys with DMRs gives you an uncontested advantage

Not everyone in matchmaking is a pro, so having 2 guys with DMRs is NOT a definite advantage. If the one guy without a long range weapon gets taken out, and 2 people manage to get to his team, you better believe that's a HOLE that wouldn't have happened had everyone been wielding DMRs.

STG said:
guess I need to crouch more often if that really impacts the shooting :I
Biggest improvement I find is with the DMR but it's a little pointless to crouch and shoot most of the time, best done on defensive plays like in ctf, invasion and so on.

Pistol while crouched helps but personally I don't see much of a difference, maybe 10% or something small? dunno.

AR will still spray everywhere but it takes longer, not really worth it.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Crouching is worth it when shooting long range in Hemorrhage or Boneyard, but I haven't found a good use in any other situation really.

Shafto

Loving Reach so far, all across the spectrum.

However, New Alexandria (on Legendary no less!) just gave me the middle finger. I got to the last Jammer locaiton, destroyed it, and went to leave. It was the building with the spiralling stair case, leading down to a long curved corridor underneath.

So, i'm on my way back up, having jet packed past a particularly problematic Elite. I get to the top, the door opens, and Kat does her dialogue. I have a slight change of heart, as i'd just checked today's challenges - "Kill the Elite!" I thought.

So I turn round and try taking him out with my newly acquired Needle Rifle. He had vanished though. And the door out, had sealed itself shut and won't open.

The very last jammer too. Anyone have any tips on how I can get out of here without restarting the entire mission?

Raide

NameGenerated said:
Crouching is worth it when shooting long range in Hemorrhage or Boneyard, but I haven't found a good use in any other situation really.

Medium range, if they don't know you're behind them. Handy to nail some fast, accurate shots in. By the time they figure it out, they are nearly dead. :D

Net_Wrecker said:
WAIT A MINUTE. I'm speaking strictly about Spartan vs. Spartan matches. Invasion is a whole different beast, and starting weapons, and loadouts should (and do) reflect that.

True, but I'm just using it to point out an (admittedly quite extreme) example.

It puts a much bigger focus on movement around the map to get the upper hand rather than everyone being mid-long range beasts right off the bat, and most sticking to that zone instead of searching for something "better"....which unless you're beast with the Sniper, there isn't.

If there's a good place to camp, and map movement and flow isn't encouraged, this is a real map design issue.

It really doesn't. As we can see with Hemorrhage, no map should consist of large plains without cover, or spawns that leave you completely exposed to immediate DMR fire. Every map should have cover to avoid things like spawn traps, especially being trapped because 2 guys got DMRs before your team did.

The spawns on Hemorrhage are particularly bad

Not everyone in matchmaking is a pro, so having 2 guys with DMRs is NOT a definite advantage. And if the one guy without a long range weapon gets taken out, and 2 people manage to get to the team, you better believe that's a HOLE that wouldn't have happened had everyone been wielding DMRs.

It is a large advantage. Whether the particular players have the skill and coordination to take advantage is another matter.

voltron

Shafto said:
Loving Reach so far, all across the spectrum.

However, New Alexandria (on Legendary no less!) just gave me the middle finger. I got to the last Jammer locaiton, destroyed it, and went to leave. It was the building with the spiralling stair case, leading down to a long curved corridor underneath.

So, i'm on my way back up, having jet packed past a particularly problematic Elite. I get to the top, the door opens, and Kat does her dialogue. I have a slight change of heart, as i'd just checked today's challenges - "Kill the Elite!" I thought.

So I turn round and try taking him out with my newly acquired Needle Rifle. He had vanished though. And the door out, had sealed itself shut and won't open.

The very last jammer too. Anyone have any tips on how I can get out of here without restarting the entire mission?

Just keep committing suicide... eventually the game will respawn you to the next previous checkpoint.

Shafto

It's probably too late for that sadly, I've been running around since trying to make the game load again etc. Too many checkpoints past. Plus, it was the first thing I thought of, but there were no immediately apparent ways of committing suicide - i'd ran out of grenades and a lot of the weapons have vanished.

:(

Photolysis said:
If there's a good place to camp, and map movement and flow isn't encouraged, this is a real map design issue.

Here's my thing. A map like PINNACLE is OK during AR/Pistol matches. The long pathways get use, the middle dish area is a little safer, and "bases" can be rushed. But play a DMR Starts match there, and watch how 90% of the map goes UNUSED. You can't run anywhere, especially if a team gets to the high ledges. Even on a map that encourages movement like Sword Base, or Powerhouse gets bogged down because people quite simply don't have to move. You can shoot across the map, and replenish your ammo from dead teammates.

Photolysis said:
The spawns on Hemorrhage are particularly bad

Everything on Hemorrhage is particularly bad. Valhalla slaps that map in the face...repeatedly.

Photolysis said:
It is a large advantage. Whether the particular players have the skill and coordination to take advantage is another matter.

It CAN be a large advantage, yes, but it's not 100% of the time, and AR/Pistol starts lets you take advantage of that by having breathing room to rush in there.

Anyway, I think I'm finished for now. I have avoided DMR spam by living in Team Objective ever since figuring out that the Team Slayer, and Big Team playlists suck. Every once in a while I have to deal with Headhunter Pro or the like, but it's not too bad.

Still, AR/Pistol starts >>>>> Any other kind:D

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Been meaning to mention this: The green team spawn on The Cage in Multi-Team is totally broken. Basically, every other color besides green gets multiple spawns all around the map and the game does a decent job of spawning you at a place with no enemies (although sometimes you get a shitty one), however, green team only has 2 or 3 spawn locations which are all to the left and right of where the rocket launcher/plasma launcher spawn. The game will spawn you there always, even if there are 5 people fighting there. This can either help or hurt the green team. On one hand, you can easily spawn and immediately clean up someone else's battle, but you can also easily be killed right when you spawn.

Also, if you get Oddball on The Cage and the ball ends up down in the green spawn, green will easily win unless someone is smart enough to jump off and reset it.

It's not gamebreaking, just pretty stupid and seems like an easy fix.

Victrix

*beard*
The Cage in general is ass. Really, I don't like any of the FW remakes aside from Asylum, which is okish (ignoring rooftop stupidity). Pinnacle winds up being a boring tower camp most of the time.

Hemo in particular highlights why you shouldn't remake a map out of nostalgia though, ugh.

Paradiso, as a 'new' map isn't bad. Not fantastic, but ok. Once more people key in on the twin Sniper spawns and learn to shoot down Banshees/mountain campers with it, it should get a bit more interesting.

What really sticks out is how badly they compare to the other maps. I realize they wanted to show the community what could be done with Forge, but meh.

I'll be a very happy camper when they introduce community made Forge maps into the playlists in place of the ones the game shipped with. In six months there will be some stellar player maps, built to take Armor Abilities and the new weapon and vehicle balance into account.

voltron

Shafto said:
It's probably too late for that sadly, I've been running around since trying to make the game load again etc. Too many checkpoints past. Plus, it was the first thing I thought of, but there were no immediately apparent ways of committing suicide - i'd ran out of grenades and a lot of the weapons have vanished.

Just save and quit and reload from one of the rally points. Not that big a deal really.

I had all the challenges up to yesterday I was bitching about firefight lag and boom, internet dies.

O well the day had to come I just thought I could go longer then this.

dslgunstar said:
I'm not, cause I'm obviously fucking exaggerating. :lol
You: I've quit like ten games today!!!

urK: No you haven't you've quit five

----

You: I shot him live FIVE TIMES and he didn't even die :'(

Forum: Prove it with video

You: Well obviously I was exaggerating.

----

You come on here and whine and complain about Halo and when someone calls you out it always comes back to being your fault. It sounds to me like you're just simply bad at Halo and you have a poor attitude with any TEAM games.

My suggestion to you is to just go play Rumble Pit... Likely you'll be paired up with people who are closer to your skill level, and then if you do choose to quit you will not be ruining anyone elses experience. What you're doing right now is pathetic, you're quitting out of games after ONE death. Can you honestly tell me that after that one death you can predict how the rest of the match will play out?

It sucks that there are people like you around, you ruin a perfectly good match for everyone. Just suck it up and play through to the end, if you cannot manage to do that stay out of team games.

/rant

edit:
dslgunstar said:
In any case, I've barely quit out of a game before playing Reach. I've never felt less in control of my destiny than when playing this game.
Yeah that's usually what happens when you quit out of the fucking game.

Shafto

voltron said:
Just save and quit and reload from one of the rally points. Not that big a deal really.

New Alexandria has no Rally Points due to the random nature of the level. Also, it's on my Legendary Solo run, so not sure it would count if I started from a Rally Point.

Ended up doing it again - not too hard!

Oh yea I forgot anyone who wants that crap that came with the Legendary edition lemme know. I'm giving away my stuff, I don't really want it.

It doesn't include the dlc codes and the actual game, but the packaging, statue and novel and misc thingies...you can have that.

Anyways PM me and I'll enter you in the random drawing if you're interested! I'll draw at the end of this week sometime and let you all know.

xxjuicesxx said:
Oh yea I forgot anyone who wants that crap that came with the Legendary edition lemme know. I'm giving away my stuff, I don't really want it.

It doesn't include the dlc codes and the actual game, but the packaging, statue and novel and misc thingies...you can have that.

Anyways PM me and I'll enter you in the random drawing if you're interested! I'll draw at the end of this week sometime and let you all know.
So why did you buy the legendary, just for the elite gear and flaming helm?

Chorazin

xxjuicesxx said:

EDIT: Beaten

dslgunstar said:
Meh, mostly out of protest.

The Arena is supposed to be this super-competitive area for people that know what they're doing. I don't want to be there. The PROBLEM is that SWAT and Snipers have rendered the Team Slayer list basically unplayable. So I go to the Arena for my fix. If I'm going to be matched up against skilled, ultra competitive people, I'd like a few decent players on my side too.

Once SWAT gets its own playlist, I'll be happy as a pig in shit in a real Team Slayer playlist.

And yes Urk, I quit pretty early in games. Hopeless situations don't get better as the match progresses. In CoD, sure, you can come back from a deficit. In Halo, particularly in the Arena, the skill gap is often obvious enough to see the outcome coming ahead of time.
I dont know about Reach, but ive seen some amazing comebacks in pretty much all Halo games. Im sure the same is true about Reach.

Sorry man, I generally like your posts, but leaving so early on is a dick move. There are people out there that love the gametypes you hate and hate the gametypes you love, but the way matchmaking works everyone has to suffer something they dont like once in a while so others can have fun. Your just being a bit selfish by quitting every time the gametype doesnt go your way.

Quitting out early in the Arena is probably the worst thing you can do to people who want to take it competativly on your team. So what if they get a early lead, out play them. And dude, if you were on my team shouting commands I would ignore you, as far as im concerned im probably better than the random dude shouting commands on my team and know how to do well without following his instructions, just because they didnt listen to you doesnt mean they arent good.

As for the times your weak and need help, maybe your teammates are going after powerweapons? You dieing means nothing as long as I get Sniper and can get a few kills with it.

EDIT: Im not gonna lie, I agree with your points about getting unlocky with the mechanics, I remember totally out DMRing Someone to no shields twice in a row without even going past half shields but messing up the headshot each time because whenever I would wait for the bloom he would sprint off. :lol And I sort of agree that the CoD contingent will probably move on, and thats the thing that annoys me most, Bungie probably made some design decisions to entice that crowd, but will it just end up in some of us Halo fans feeling peeved while the CoD fans move on?

Devin Olsen said:

I'm fine at Halo. Never claimed to be amazing, but I win more than I lose, I go positive more than negative. I'd give myself a B, on a good day a B+.

I know how to play the damn game, and I hold my own at it. The problem isn't 'have you tried sucking less', the problem is that I'm finding a combination of the matchmaking and the gameplay mechanics infuriating.

Whenever I get pissed off in the Arena (which is the only playlist I get pissed off in), I hop into Team Objective or Invasion and have a blast. I'm actually a very good team player, particularly in objective-based games. The only reason I'm playing Team Arena is because the Team Slayer playlist is broken and bogged down in SWAT and Snipers the whole time. Team Arena is the best place to find actual, honest-to-god, slayer matches.

If it were a matter of sucking, I'd be fine with it. I would focus on improving the areas that need work. It's impossible to identify the areas that need work in Reach, because the exact same motor skills that land me easy 5-shot kills one match, lead to 8-shot getaways in the next match. There's no consistency, positive or negative.

So I'm basically stuck going into every encounter blind-folded, hoping the magic dice that control the reticule bloom roll in my favor, with little hope of ever actually improving. If the Arena actually valued wnning, I wouldn't care. If the team wins and I go negative, so be it. But it doesn't, so every kill that inexplicably doesn't happen feels like a nice big 'fuck you, thanks for playing SUCKER!'.

Whatever. The sooner Bungie unfucks the Team Slayer and BTB playlists, the better.

Shake Appeal said:
dslgunstar is off the reservation now.

:lol Yeah, I was pretty fucking enraged with the game today.

Numpt3

bobs99 ... said:
as far as im concerned im probably better than the random dude shouting commands on my team and know how to do well without following his instructions, just because they didnt listen to you doesnt mean they arent good.

Safe Bet

Banned
I thought I was an "average" Halo player but I guess not...

Iron

I can't help but feel the game is telling me, "You need to move on and find something else you're good at because obviously Halo aint it."

dslgunstar said:
So I'm basically stuck going into every encounter blind-folded, hoping the magic dice that control the reticule bloom roll in my favor, with little hope of ever actually improving.
I say this only from common sense, not actual behind the scenes knowledge.

Retical bloom is anything but a dice roll, it is a constant and always remains the same. The only variables would be crouching or standing (I think). Besides that your bloom is the same for every game you play and every shot you make, if you can't get a hang of the timing then that is your fault, not the games.

I really do not like bickering back and forth, so this will be my last response to your posts regarding this.

Simply put, if you hate the game so much and think it is such garbage then do not play. Wait for the October update.

Quitting ruins a match for seven other people, is it fair to do that because you cannot figure out the DMR bloom?

Shoogoo

Are there still people looking for a Recon helmet code? I've got some lying around. I'd be happy to exchange them for a 48h xbox live trial code so that my gf can keep playing here and there without paying a full month.

Jrmint

So with the new weekly challenge (complete a mission on Legendary co-op), has the campaign matchmaking been implemented yet?

Miggytronz

dslgunstar sounds like your just not adjusted properly to the Bloom.

If i lose a 1v1 firefight with an opponent 90% of the time its because i missed timed the bloom. Stop spamming the trigger is most peoples problems.

Dyno

The scoring and levelling, while a nice addition, isn't implemented the best, I think.

There doesn't seem to be much difference in points between winning and running with the pack. The Slot Machine is a bizzare idea as well. If I win a game, the slot seems stable but I've done poorly and the slot as given out 777 points. What's the reasoning?

It just seems like Bungie wanted everyone to get certain amount of points per match so that people level the same. As well, the levels are looooooonggggg once you get to Warrant Officer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom