• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chorazin

darthbob said:
It shouldn't. My 'old' GT was 'darthbob100', managed to change it to 'darthbob' about a month ago after years of waiting. I guess sometimes they do purge some database of used GTs that haven't seen the light of day in a while, but I had to wait since 2003.

How did you find out the old name was free? I have a smiliary problem and I'd love to get an old GT back!

theultimo

You can play firefight vs on custom games, it's different. Spartan side is the same, but you kill an elite poayer that on the other side, you get a life. They have unlimited lives on that side.

darthbob

Chorazin said:
How did you find out the old name was free? I have a smiliary problem and I'd love to get an old GT back!

I tried to change my tag about once a month for years.

Eventually, it said it was free.

Hugbot

TommyT said:
Yeah, the mythbuster videos good enough to risk watching at work :lol . Random questions: Was thinking of changing my gamertag, will changing it open up the current one again for someone else to use? :O
If you're worried about this, once you change your name try to create a Silver account with your old name. If it does in fact open it up for anyone to use, no one else can take your old GT if you take it first!

probune

The Lamonster said:
Can't wait for the playlist update. I hope they include Grifball and Rocket Race playlists, but I'm guessing those will come much further down the line.

A friend and I tried to make Rocket Race but we didn't know how without VIP, is there a way to do it?

Chorazin

darthbob said:
I tried to change my tag about once a month for years.

Eventually, it said it was free.

I see, maybe I'll try that. I've been checking it on Xbox.com for about the same amount of time but it always shows a old oXbox account. Maybe actually checking triggers a check on their system?

theultimo

The Lamonster said:
What are the Daily Challenges today? I wish the OP was updated every morning with them :lol
Kill 20 people in any game type.

10 Assists in Firefight

Kill 50 elites on normal or higher in campaign

Kill 9 with headshots in matchmaking

complete coop campaign on legendary.

theultimo said:
Kill 20 people in any game type.

10 Assists in Firefight

Kill 50 elites on normal or higher in campaign

Kill 9 with headshots in matchmaking

complete coop campaign on legendary.
Thanks, I'm guessing that's the weekly. How many credits is that worth? I'm going for it :D

The Lamonster said:
Is that the weekly? If not, what is?

Yea it's a weekly.

More of a weakly, am i rite?

At this point it's more of a "Hey you should go check out co-op campaign, I hear it's pretty cool." I'm lookin forward to some wackier shit in the future.

TommyT

MagniHarvald said:
I wanted Magni but it was taken by an old account, and someone else got it after they purged it =(

I'm thinking of changing it from TommyTSquared (been my AIM name for ~10 years now) and keep getting grief because it has TSquared in it *head in hands.jpg*. I was checking to see if a gamertag I wanted was available on a different live ID when I typed in one I was leaning to and hit enter, thinking it would go to check availability, it went to create and basically ate it meaning I'd have to wait for it. :(

Anyone up for playing some tonight after 5 cst? :D

Miggytronz

CxOoY.jpg

Ballistik

The Lamonster said:
Friday is October 1st. Anyone know when exactly in October the playlists will be updated?
Well I said yesterday but it got buried back there. If you look at the stats page for Reach where it shows the playlists, it shows Team SWAT for the 7th, and Campaign Co-op for the 15th. if you're talking about the gametype changes, well I dont know about that.

ultron87

I'm surprised the weekly wasn't a Firefight related one. Since the other game modes were covered the last two weeks I'd think they'd try and push people into FF.

Sanguine

Many called this curious gorge their grave, but later inhabitants were more optimistic about their chances.

Link to File Share.

This is my attempt to make Hemorrhage more interesting and fun, and to make life more tolerable on foot. It started out as simple tinkering with spawn times, but then I decided to add some natural geometry, inspired by my two favourite BTB maps in Halo 3: Valhalla and Standoff. Ultimately I'd like to redo the bases more in the Valhalla style, but for the time being I focused largely on sight lines and cover, and creating a 'staggered' pair of rocky ridges that reflect and interact with one another.

Full list of changes:

Scorpions set to "Game-Specific: True", and so will not spawn unless set in Game Options.
Revenants likewise set to "Game-Specific: True".
One Warthog deleted from both bases.
Other Warthogs' Spawn Time set to 90.
Falcons' Spawn Time increased to 180.
Ghosts' Spawn Time increased to 90.
Red Base Mongoose's Spawn Time fixed to be 45, in line with others.
Banshee added at either base (Spawn Time: 180).
Vehicle placements rejigged slightly.

Grenade Launchers replace Shotguns at either end of the map (Spawn Time: 120; Spare Clips: 5).
Rocket Launcher replaces Plasma Launcher at the map's middle (Spawn Time: 180, Spare Clips: 2).
DMRs added at 'right rock' for both sides.

Mancannons added at either base, firing smoothly to the ridge and cave respectively.
Much more 'natural' geometry added to divide map and create more interesting sight lines.
'Rocks' side adjusted for better cover and sight lines.
Some spawns adjusted to be in better cover or to give better sense of position.

Obligatory screenshots:
sanguine1.jpg

sanguine2.jpg

sanguine3.jpg

sanguine4.jpg

There's more to be done, but I thought I'd throw this up here so people could give it a shot and see if it plays any better.

Kinda makes sense:

Week 1: Hey go play the campaign on Heroic like it should be played
Week 2: Hey, try some matchmaking and try not to quit
Week 3: Hey, the campaign is awesome on Legendary with friends

Week 4: Probably - Hey why don't you and some friends play Firefight

Ramirez

LunaticPuma said:
Finally played a few games on Asylum where players got on the roofs. I don't see why GAF is bitching about it. It's not like you need a jet pack to get up there. It wasn't too bad to deal with snipers up there. I can see why people wouldn't like it if they wanted a true re-make though.

Play it against good people, it will make you want to break your controller. The person up top doesn't even have to do anything really, I stayed up there an entire game once and only got like 8 kills, but their focus was on me the entire match and my teammates just destroyed them in the mean time. If they hadn't of focused on me then I could have just picked them off like fish in a barrel while they tried to fight my teammates. It's stupid and cheesy, the map flat out sucks as it is right now. Throw in the sniper rifles that seem to appear every minute and you have a disaster of a map.

Darkflight said:
Kinda makes sense:

Week 1: Hey go play the campaign on Heroic like it should be played BUT FINISH IN SIX DAYS OR ELSE YOU MISS OUT ON 5,000 CREDITS!!!!
Week 2: Hey, try some matchmaking and try not to quit
Week 3: Hey, the campaign is awesome on Legendary with friends

Week 4: Probably - Hey why don't you and some friends play Firefight
fixed.

Way to rush us through your campaign, Bungie!

Victrix

*beard*
Wizpig said:
Party Chat is cool and all but at the same time it's, well, the cancer that killed team play.

Incorrect, the horribly shit XBL community killed public voice chat.

I have no desire to talk to the seething filth that infest the brackish waters of XBL, especially in a game like Reach, a game populated by the Broest of the Bro.

However, I'm actually considering finally turning off friends-only voice in settings (it's been on since uh, whenever they introduced it and after I started playing CoD4), because Bungie appears to have put some effort into making auto-mute trigger on people who get muted constantly.

I'm curious to see if that actually works well, because if it removes the need for me to mute half the lobby every match, I'm game - I'm a huge teamplayer, constantly calling out positions and responding to requests, so not being able to talk to my non-party/friend teammates is occasionally frustrating*.

*(I'm lying, my real motivation is hearing the sweet sweet screams of my assassination victims through prox audio)

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Reach is the first Halo i play online for more than 2-3hours. So far, in about 40 hours of multiplayer in Reach, i havent heard a single insult, racial slur, etc. The only idiots i met were people singing the whole time, or just yelling at people to vote for sniper/swat and i muted them.

I was expecting the worst from what i have heard/read about the Halo community. Maybe i was lucky :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That reminds me, how exactly does the proximity chat work? I can hear people from it while I'm in a party, but can they hear me?

th3dude

Ballistik said:
Well I said yesterday but it got buried back there. If you look at the stats page for Reach where it shows the playlists, it shows Team SWAT for the 7th, and Campaign Co-op for the 15th. if you're talking about the gametype changes, well I dont know about that.

Does that make SWAT a permanent playlist? Or just a weeklong thing or what?

theultimo

Papercuts said:
That reminds me, how exactly does the proximity chat work? I can hear people from it while I'm in a party, but can they hear me?
If they are close enough on the other team, they can hear you.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Kandrick said:
or just yelling at people to vote for sniper/swat and i muted them.

Maybe Its just the fact that Im pretty much only playing from 7:30 PM - 12:30 AM ish times, but I really don't see this often at all. Thank god, but they're rarely picked, and if so its usually not by a landslide.

Red

Victrix said:
Incorrect, the horribly shit XBL community killed public voice chat.

I have no desire to talk to the seething filth that infest the brackish waters of XBL, especially in a game like Reach, a game populated by the Broest of the Bro.

However, I'm actually considering finally turning off friends-only voice in settings (it's been on since uh, whenever they introduced it and after I started playing CoD4), because Bungie appears to have put some effort into making auto-mute trigger on people who get muted constantly.

I'm curious to see if that actually works well, because if it removes the need for me to mute half the lobby every match, I'm game - I'm a huge teamplayer, constantly calling out positions and responding to requests, so not being able to talk to my non-party/friend teammates is occasionally frustrating*.

*(I'm lying, my real motivation is hearing the sweet sweet screams of my assassination victims through prox audio)
Typically I will only play matchmaking when I have a friend or two with me. I'm constantly in party chat, but I do allow "all players" through my TV speakers.

I would love if people consistently played cooperatively, but four out of five times it's a free for all. I usually mute a player at the very first sign they'll be abusing voice communication (yelling, singing, constant garbled nonsense, pre-teen voices, etc).

Matchmaking is real slow today, I double checked my NAT to make sure it was open (and it is) but it's taking ages to find games.

Kandrick said:
Reach is the first Halo i play online for more than 2-3hours. So far, in about 40 hours of multiplayer in Reach, i havent heard a single insult, racial slur, etc. The only idiots i met were people singing the whole time, or just yelling at people to vote for sniper/swat and i muted them.

I was expecting the worst from what i have heard/read about the Halo community. Maybe i was lucky :lol
Since the 360 was given party chat most games are quiet :/ but this is both a good and bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom