• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mikasangelos said:
dslgunstar sounds like your just not adjusted properly to the Bloom.

If i lose a 1v1 firefight with an opponent 90% of the time its because i missed timed the bloom. Stop spamming the trigger is most peoples problems.

I remember Sage saying in a Vidoc he wanted Halo to have a more 'messy' feel, and I think peoples frustrations from bloom come down to this.

Fair enough its easy to 4 shot someone to no shields, and its actually easy to wait for the bloom to go down enough for the headshot, but when you factor in armour abilities/ teamates/ enemies theres a whole host of reasons why bloom can screw you over, even if you can control it.

Then theres lag, I get a lot of 'bloodshots' in some games, and if it was Halo 3 I would presume those games just had a bad host, but in Reach im not sure whether or not its lag or I hit them in the shoulder or something.

So yeah I dont think its fair to jump on the whole dslgunstar must suck bandwagon, bloom leads to messy encounters at times, leaving games because of this though is whats wrong.

Definity

Shoogoo said:
Are there still people looking for a Recon helmet code? I've got some lying around. I'd be happy to exchange them for a 48h xbox live trial code so that my gf can keep playing here and there without paying a full month.

Check your PM's please.

Finally had a chance to play Arena over the weekend. I really enjoy the game types and the competition. I'm an average player at best so if anyone wants to hook up and play some arena games let me know.

Shoogoo

Dyno said:
The scoring and levelling, while a nice addition, isn't implemented the best, I think.

There doesn't seem to be much difference in points between winning and running with the pack. The Slot Machine is a bizzare idea as well. If I win a game, the slot seems stable but I've done poorly and the slot as given out 777 points. What's the reasoning?

It just seems like Bungie wanted everyone to get certain amount of points per match so that people level the same. As well, the levels are looooooonggggg once you get to Warrant Officer.

777-full.jpg

It's just random. Congrats on the jackpot, didn't happen to me yet

Dyno said:
The scoring and levelling, while a nice addition, isn't implemented the best, I think.

There doesn't seem to be much difference in points between winning and running with the pack. The Slot Machine is a bizzare idea as well. If I win a game, the slot seems stable but I've done poorly and the slot as given out 777 points. What's the reasoning?

It just seems like Bungie wanted everyone to get certain amount of points per match so that people level the same. As well, the levels are looooooonggggg once you get to Warrant Officer.

Yet, the apparently get shorter once you get to Captain. I don't quite get it. Not that I'm complaining. I should finally hit Captain by the end of the week.

Chorazin

Shoogoo said:
Are there still people looking for a Recon helmet code? I've got some lying around. I'd be happy to exchange them for a 48h xbox live trial code so that my gf can keep playing here and there without paying a full month.

I need that Gamestop pre-order chest peice. :(

Jrmint

dslgunstar said:
Team Arena is the best place to find actual, honest-to-god, slayer matches.
Rumble Pit

I stopped playing Team Slayer playlist due to the problems you mentioned. Rumble Pit is a lot better, it is mostly slayer matches, with a lot of DMR. I love the DMR though so that doesn't bother me.

Only problem with Rumble Pit is when Infection comes up, but it doesn't happen very often anyway.

Shoogoo

DoctorWho said:
Yet, the apparently get shorter once you get to Captain. I don't quite get it. Not that I'm complaining. I should finally hit Captain by the end of the week.

Where did you read that?

bobs99 ... said:
I remember Sage saying in a Vidoc he wanted Halo to have a more 'messy' feel, and I think peoples frustrations from bloom come down to this.

Fair enough its easy to 4 shot someone to no shields, and its actually easy to wait for the bloom to go down enough for the headshot, but when you factor in armour abilities/ teamates/ enemies theres a whole host of reasons why bloom can screw you over, even if you can control it.

Then theres lag, I get a lot of 'bloodshots' in some games, and if it was Halo 3 I would presume those games just had a bad host, but in Reach im not sure whether or not its lag or I hit them in the shoulder or something.

So yeah I dont think its fair to jump on the whole dslgunstar must suck bandwagon, bloom leads to messy encounters at times, leaving games because of this though is whats wrong.

Gritty and messy do not have the same meaning.

USF

Shoogoo said:

i can trade you with a 48hr PM me

Safe Bet said:
I thought I was an "average" Halo player but I guess not...

Iron

I can't help but feel the game is telling me, "You need to move on and find something else you're good at because obviously Halo aint it."

:(
If it's any consolation, you are Iron in a playlist where only people who care enough about competitive Halo to play at least 21 games over the course of two weeks have placed. We also don't know the percentiles for the Divisions, so Iron could be the bottom 20% of those players, or it could be more. You may also be near the top of Iron, not the bottom.

But you probably aren't a below average player.

Chorazin

Skel said:
Play Rumble Pit

I started doing much better once I stopped playing Team Slayer.

Yeah, I did pretty good when I played Rumble Pit, maybe I'll just move to that until they change the Team Slayer Playlist.

I noticed that my identification card will expire on 07.07.2014. Its this a good omen or a bad one? :lol

The daily and weekly challenge are really easy.

JB1981

I fired up Halo 3 multi last night. Will never go back. Halo 3 had better map selection and that is it. I was also surprised by how dated the graphics look compared to Reach. Hadn't realized how significant the upgrade was til I went back.

electricpirate said:
Gritty and messy do not have the same meaning.

I know, he said 'messy'.

Ill look up the vidoc when I can be arsed - im sure it was in the first one Sage starred in, but im not sure.

And I agree with the dude above me, visually Halo 3 looks so bad compared to Reach its shocking.

I also fired up the beta just to look at the CQC helmet, the spartan models in that seem REALLY low res, I cant believe the jump. But im annoyed that the CQC helmet upgrade has been slightly changed since the beta - it looked better without the box coming out of the side of the head. :lol

Wizpig

Genesis Knight said:
Halopedia has all the rank requirements up to Lt. Colonel. WO Grade 3 -> Captain is like 66,000 credits, but then the Captain levels are like 23,000 a piece.
Yes, getting to Captain is the longest rank in the game.
And you can feel that.

Genesis Knight said:
So guys to get the Legendary Solo achievement do I need to play the missions in order or can I play them however I want with scoring on?
When you go to select a chapter look down the bottom right, long as each chapter has the legendary broach you are good, can do any order.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
dslgunstar said:
Whenever I get pissed off in the Arena (which is the only playlist I get pissed off in)
dslgunstar said:
, I hop into Team Objective or Invasion and have a blast. I'm actually a very good team player, particularly in objective-based games. The only reason I'm playing Team Arena is because the Team Slayer playlist is broken and bogged down in SWAT and Snipers the whole time. Team Arena is the best place to find actual, honest-to-god, slayer matches.

If it were a matter of sucking, I'd be fine with it. I would focus on improving the areas that need work. It's impossible to identify the areas that need work in Reach, because the exact same motor skills that land me easy 5-shot kills one match, lead to 8-shot getaways in the next match. There's no consistency, positive or negative.

So I'm basically stuck going into every encounter blind-folded, hoping the magic dice that control the reticule bloom roll in my favor, with little hope of ever actually improving. If the Arena actually valued wnning, I wouldn't care. If the team wins and I go negative, so be it. But it doesn't, so every kill that inexplicably doesn't happen feels like a nice big 'fuck you, thanks for playing SUCKER!'.

Stop playing it then asshole! fucking christ I run into your people every second match in there. WAAAH I CANT GET FIRST STRIKE QUIT.

I have a job and I'm not good enough to take a team to a win short handed. your bullshit fucks up my enjoyment of the game, stop being a little bitch, you little bitch.

Really wish there was a 'your team mate has requested team chat, turn team chat on?' I play team slayer sometimes and it's 90% silent due to party chat.

TommyT

So I was looking on Bungie.net and checking out my arena ratings to try to find the 'average' that put me in my divison, all I could see was the line graph without any numbers (except for 0 and 2000). Is there anyway to see past days rating numbers?

TommyT said:
So I was looking on Bungie.net and checking out my arena ratings to try to find the 'average' that put me in my divison, all I could see was the line graph without any numbers (except for 0 and 2000). Is there anyway to see past days rating numbers?
The daily rating numbers do not assign you to divisions.

Hugbot

TommyT said:
The rating numbers themselves don't matter. If you want to get a feel for why you are where you are, load up your old games and take a look at your rank in each individual game. Basically top four good, bottom four bad. It's quite a bit more complicated than that, I imagine, but the maths are mostly hidden and that's the basic idea.

TommyT

Shake Appeal said:
The daily rating numbers do not assign you to divisions.

Ah thx. Well, is there still any way to see those numbers? :D

I went to the OP and checked out the division stuff and the rating formula was in there, can someone point me to an explanation, pref in-depth, or the breakdown? All I know if top 5% go into onyx.

bobs99 ... said:
I know, he said 'messy'.

Ill look up the vidoc when I can be arsed - im sure it was in the first one Sage starred in, but im not sure.

If it's Vidoc 1, it's definately "Gritty" not messy. If it's another Vidoc, then I'm not so sure, that's the Vidoc I had on my PC.

Hugbot

TommyT said:
Ah thx. Well, is there still any way to see those numbers? :D
Your game history on Bnet has the rankings for individual games, but not for daily rankings. You just click on Game History -> Arena and then whichever game you want.

TommyT

Hugbot said:
Your game history on Bnet has the rankings for individual games, but not for daily rankings. You just click on Game History -> Arena and then whichever game you want.

lol that's a lot of averaging:( . Thanks for the info though, I'll have to start adjusting some gameplay (see: spend less time wtih the GF to play some more! :lol )

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Finally played a few games on Asylum where players got on the roofs. I don't see why GAF is bitching about it. It's not like you need a jet pack to get up there. It wasn't too bad to deal with snipers up there. I can see why people wouldn't like it if they wanted a true re-make though.

REV 09

DoctorWho said:
it's true, but i'm also not getting loads of commendations anymore since i've mostly wrapped up the lower tier commendations. Currently Captain Grade 1. I'm getting like 5-600 pts per game instead of 1,500-2,000 per game.

TommyT

darthbob said:
Love these.

The jetpack one was especially good. :lol

Yeah, the mythbuster videos good enough to risk watching at work :lol . Random questions: Was thinking of changing my gamertag, will changing it open up the current one again for someone else to use? :O

darthbob

TommyT said:
Was thinking of changing my gamertag, will changing it open up the current one again for someone else to use? :O

It shouldn't. My 'old' GT was 'darthbob100', managed to change it to 'darthbob' about a month ago after years of waiting. I guess sometimes they do purge some database of used GTs that haven't seen the light of day in a while, but I had to wait since 2003.

Wizpig

Party Chat is cool and all but at the same time it's, well, the cancer that killed team play.

When I play 2 vs. 2 - and i actually talk to my teammate - it's like it's a whole new game.

Even a simple
"They are here"
"Come back here i have my shields up, i'll take them"

etc. can make the game more enjoyable.

I miss Halo 2 sometimes - for the chat.

Magni

darthbob said:
It shouldn't. My 'old' GT was 'darthbob100', managed to change it to 'darthbob' about a month ago after years of waiting. I guess sometimes they do purge some database of used GTs that haven't seen the light of day in a while, but I had to wait since 2003.

I wanted Magni but it was taken by an old account, and someone else got it after they purged it =(

Raide

Is Bungie.net borked? Cannot seem to check stats on previous games. Also, something still wrong with the servers? 151 online sounds a little low.

Thanks for the customs last night. Was a great laugh. :D Armour Locking Sai-Kun as he tried to splatter me will be my dying memory. :lol Did not last long haha.

Can't wait for the playlist update. I hope they include Grifball and Rocket Race playlists, but I'm guessing those will come much further down the line.

The Lamonster said:
Can't wait for the playlist update. I hope they include Grifball and Rocket Race playlists, but I'm guessing those will come much further down the line.

I just want Firefight VS - ive been itching to try that out.

Raide

The Lamonster said:

I was wondering about Rocket Race. I was hoping they do a Concussions Rifle Race too. :lol

Hugbot

The Lamonster said:
Oh wow, is that going into matchmaking? Man, this game is just going to get better and better!
God, I hope so. It sounds like a pretty exciting mode and if they throw that in with as many variants as normal Firefight has right now it could be a damn fun hopper. I agree with Rocket Race / Grifball hoppers too, maybe we'll get a "wacky" playlist that changes every week/month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom