• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
SMG starts wasn't a problem when Bungie started including BR/SMG combo. It didn't take long for them to fix this.

The swords problem was mainly lag, which comes back to netcode.

Standying, superbouncing, other glitches. Yes, these were problems, but at the end of the day meant nothing because the core gameplay was so good.

Lock-on rockets has been the best implementation of anti-vehicle weaponry yet. You cannot honestly sit here and tell me what Halo 3 or Reach did were in ANY way better.

Poor playlists? Did you even play Halo 2? You're not even close. The pickings were small, but that's exactly what you need. Clear and concise, the basics. Not these crazy, super unique playlists that split the player base because everyone is spread too thin. Team Training kept all guests in to a single playlist, while everything else was ranked. This made sense and it worked.

Poor map settings? Yep, you didn't play Halo 2.

Those glitches effected core gameplay. BXB, BXR, Double shot, grenade reload and I'm sure there are more. That's what the core gameplay of Halo 2 became.

Playing Halo 2 at the time was like being addicted to crack. The highs were high, the lows were insanely low but you just kept coming back no matter what. And you know what, I wouldn't accept that these days. Not since Halo 3 and Reach have been virtually cheater and glitch free. Boosting is only cheating if you weren't a 50 already :p

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting online. For approximately an hour. Let's make magic happen.

daedalius

Wow that was a lot of overnight posts.

If you guys are worried that your criticism is too harsh for the game you love, just go take a stroll over to the WoW forums sometime. Your criticisms are pretty... tame, comparatively. The devs there know that all the criticism comes from players that love the game, and they criticize it because they want it to be perfect.

I'm sure Bungie/343 probably see most of it the same way. Gamers that love a game and want it to be perfect are just going to raise hell until they see it that way, or as close to that way as they can get it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
This made me laugh out loud. :)

(I'd guess the percentage of boosters that were legitimate 50s was well under 20% - maybe under 10.)

:)

% that were boosted to a 50? Yea, maybe even lower. If you could get a 50, why hire a booster right?

Mmmmmhmmmm delicious debate. Let's do this.

Now, I don't know which Halo 2 you played, but many of games I played, (Team Slayer, Team Hardcore and MLG) feature the Battle Rifle and after that patch that came that increased melee damage, the BXR and BXB took off. For me, I didn't want to adopt those glitches. I didn't like them, I considered them to be cheating. But, the more I played against good players, the harder it became for me to keep up. I used them in silly custom games that I didn't really care for but in MM and serious matches, I didn't. However, it got the point to where I just couldn't keep up any more because it was everywhere! So, I adopted them.

ya know what I really love about Halo: Reach?

Assinations. I don't get them as often as I like, but I love the animations. I really hope to see Master Chief pulling some off in the Halo 4 campaign.

feel

ya know what I really love about Halo: Reach?

Assinations. I don't get them as often as I like, but I love the animations. I really hope to see Master Chief pulling some off in the Halo 4 campaign.

I dislike them. I can't get past the awful "freeze on the spot and just stand there stunned in wait of death" reaction of the character being assassinated.

And the feedback is awkward, a simple punch in the back and seeing the enemy faceplant in first person is way more satisfying for me.

Wish I could opt-out so I don't do them by mistake.

I dislike them. I can't get past the awful "freeze on the spot and just stand there stunned in wait of death" reaction of the character being assassinated.

And the feedback is awkward, a simple punch in the back and seeing the enemy faceplant in first person is way more satisfying for me.

Wish I could opt-out so I don't do them by mistake.
Yep. I think they are okay for the campaign but not in mp. I hate it when I accidentally do a assination and then I am easy targets for other players.

Yep. I think they are okay for the campaign but not in mp. I hate it when I accidentally do a assination and then I am easy targets for other players.

I find trying to save someone from getting assassinated to be a very weird beast in Reach. It seems to take a few extra melees and stuff.

To me, assassinations are just another thing that makes the game slower. It's already embarrassing enough to get hit in the back, and if you need to make it more embarrassing, just give them the bag and move on. I'd be fine with their removal in 4

Nutter

Why keep talking about how much reach sucks after a year+, just stop playing it. Honestly I would love to keep bashing this game over what I think is wrong with it, however at this point I am simply "dont care for Halo" mode. And yes many of you including Tashi (crazy as that is) love Reach which is great for you guys, but it is quite telling to me that myself included, none of my Halo friends play it anymore. Im no PRO, but I rather enjoy the competitive nature of Halo in the previous games, I loved the fact that I could do things in a match to single handedly change the course of a game and my rank would show it. So whats the point of this... Well go play some other fun games and take a break from Halo :O.

And with that, go back to your regular programing "Halo through the years: how the apologists took over" :p

RotBot

I just got a 360 and Reach on Black Friday, so I'm a little late to the party. My friends list is pretty empty right now, so add "Roth IRA" if you want to party up.

Why keep talking about how much reach sucks after a year+, just stop playing it. Honestly I would love to keep bashing this game over what I think is wrong with it, however at this point I am simply "dont care for Halo" mode. And yes many of you including Tashi (crazy as that is) love Reach which is great for you guys, but it is quite telling to me that myself included, none of my Halo friends play it anymore. Im no PRO, but I rather enjoy the competitive nature of Halo in the previous games, I loved the fact that I could do things in a match to single handedly change the course of a game and my rank would show it. So whats the point of this... Well go play some other fun games and take a break from Halo :O.

Totally agree. I can understand why people who enjoy the game want to identify some shortfallings that can be addressed. For others, though, it just seems like the game simply isn't any fun for them and what they would need to happen beofre that changes is simply too much.

Karl2177

Awwww. I love assassinations. At first I was really skeptical about them, but now I love them. The only thing I wish was that there was a different button that you press for it. There are times I want to do the backsmack but it does a flourish, and vice versa.

Looks like I missed about on some halogaf fun last night. Ghaleon actually played Reach, my peach fuzz faced friend Hitmonchan almost played Xbox, and Devo got super drunk, but surely failed to get as drunk as I did.

Speaking of being that drunk, as a result I'm going to need to play some significant Xbox today, so if anyone is trying to play them haloz or bf3 let me know.

Dude. I suck at fighters, played Timedog while hammered. I managed to win one match though. ONE. He got delicious vengeance on me just being a douche in Reach though, that's for sure.

GOD THIS! How didn't they came up with this?

They are still pretty awesome, hope they're on H4.

Would require programmers who know how to program.

Hire more of them.

I want an option to lock scoping so we can get noscope weekend playlists!. Fuck that was fun in H2 Lockout FFA.

Watched until he got stupid saying how "stylish" Halo Pros are.
Twat.

That comment didn't really bother me. He's just saying that Halo players have personalities that need to be shown through their gameplay and that thinking outside the box on what makes competitive Halo needs to be encouraged. And he's right. Halo needs to be better for the spectators and right now, MLG Reach doesn't do a great job of telling a story.

GOD THIS! How didn't they came up with this?

They are still pretty awesome, hope they're on H4.

Probably because of the implementation of them. It's not like crouching. I guess Bungie never considered a large pool of the playerbase would hold a button to perform a melee essentially.

That comment didn't really bother me. He's just saying that Halo players have personalities that need to be shown through their gameplay and that thinking outside the box on what makes competitive Halo needs to be encouraged. And he's right. Halo needs to be better for the spectators and right now, MLG Reach doesn't do a great job of telling a story.
All of that has nothing to do with him insulting the Starcraft community.

Awwww. I love assassinations. At first I was really skeptical about them, but now I love them. The only thing I wish was that there was a different button that you press for it. There are times I want to do the backsmack but it does a flourish, and vice versa.

I don't even know if another button is necessary, the mechanism is just too sensitive right now.

And with that, go back to your regular programing "Halo through the years: how the apologists took over" :p

I can't quit now, I gotta 1v1 timedog in January. Yes I pushed back the time he gets.

Blinding

And it never will (nor will most other shooters) compared to a 1v1 Starcraft match. The rant is bizarre.

Not necessarily. I dunno if any of you have watched any Counter Strike events, but typically they're able to tell a story while casting, albeit not on the same level as Starcraft. I think the major factor in doing that depends on how complex the game itself is, with Starcraft you have a wealth of options to build your strategy with, with Halo it's more about positioning and communication which leaves little room for progression commentating wise.

Starcraft is 1v1 no? So of course it's easier. A real backed out spectator view of a map would be better since you could watch several players simultaneously and comment on their position on the map and team strats without losing the audience who doesn't know as much unless they routinely play that shit.

All of that has nothing to do with him insulting the Starcraft community.

Hey if it makes you feel any better, he lumped himself in with them.

Shadowrun did a great job of telling a story through it's gameplay. But you guys are right. It's a little different in Halo where you have recharging shields, and you die a lot in each game. That was the point of his rant though. We have to think outside the box and find a gametype that can express that.

daedalius

Man I love assassinations, as long as I'm somewhere I can't get shot while doing it.

Should probably make you hold the button a little longer to trigger it, and make it so you can cancel it as well.

Havent been in this thread in a while but is there a thread for this already? I understand the implications of
AI rampancy
and all that but to be perfectly honest how does HaloGAF feel about Frankie being at the helm of "keeping everything Halo" for this new trilogy?

Goddamnit, I still can't believe it's uncomfortable, almost surreal for me to say there is "another trilogy". ugh, what the fuck.

Man I love assassinations, as long as I'm somewhere I can't get shot while doing it.

Should probably make you hold the button a little longer to trigger it, and make it so you can cancel it as well.

First suggestion is fine, second isn't. If you go for it, you need to be prepared for the consequences.

Top Bottom