• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Honestly I just hope in future games they remember that some of us like Halo for the straight up firefights, stop trying to fluff it up with dumb shit.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Self-righteous idiot.

Oh ok thanks.

Nexy's rant was ok. I'm not sure where he was going with the whole stylish thing. What's funny is that when I was MLG Orlando you could really tell the difference between the SC2 crowd and the Halo crowd. I feel like the Halo crowd is filled people who think they're too cool to just go ape shit on the main stage and cheer and shit. The people on the SC2 side were major "nerds". What you would classify as your textbook nerd I guess. Anyway, these guys were cheering like crazy. They made signs, they had facepaint, and they were just being themselves. Letting their freak fly. As a Halo fan and player, it was refreshing to watch. Because ultimately, I'm a fan of gaming and competitive gaming. That shit is going to be tough to match from the Halo side unless we get a sort of spectator mode for Halo 4 or 1v1's and 2v2's are brought back to the MLG Pro Circuit.

CyReN

Oh ok thanks.

Nexy's rant was ok. I'm not sure where he was going with the whole stylish thing. What's funny is that when I was MLG Orlando you could really tell the difference between the SC2 crowd and the Halo crowd. I feel like the Halo crowd is filled people who think they're too cool to just go ape shit on the main stage and cheer and shit. The people on the SC2 side were major "nerds". What you would classify as your textbook nerd I guess. Anyway, these guys were cheering like crazy. They made signs, they had facepaint, and they were just being themselves. Letting their freak fly. As a Halo fan and player, it was refreshing to watch. Because ultimately, I'm a fan of gaming and competitive gaming. That shit is going to be tough to match from the Halo side unless we get a sort of spectator mode for Halo 4 or 1v1's and 2v2's are brought back to the MLG Pro Circuit.

I really don't think it's the "too cool" thing, it's the main stage imo. When I played and attended events everybody was hyped. The new main stage works well for getting more people in the crowd but you get the "distant feeling" when you are there, along with the lack of hearing commentating. This mixed with a less exciting game is the result. Don't get me wrong I still like watching Reach but live Halo 2/3 was a lot more exciting.

The reason I care so much about Halo 2 was not just because of what it was, but what it represented for future Halo games. Remember when Bungie showed off Halo 2's multiplayer for the first time? They showed Zanzibar, an asymmetrical map. This speaks for itself. You could tell objective, strategic gametypes were the main focus here. Remember how there were almost other objectives to stages, like Zanzibars gate? It added a whole layer on top of an already deep game. You were rewarded for being intelligent, for being strategic. Not just simple skill, running and gunning.

And then they released Halo 3. It was like objective games were an after thought. Gametype rules were changed for the worst, for seemingly no reason but for the sake of change. Maps that weren't even designed for objective in mind. Just mindless Slayer. And it showed. All anyone did (well, the majority) was play Slayer over and over again. To find people with good connections with a similar skill level in an objective playlist... you would have had better luck winning the lottery.

I'm sorry, but Slayer is not Halo to me. Slayer is good every now and then to break up the monotony of other gametypes, but it should not be the crux. Those moments when time is running out and you have the flag while entire enemy team is on your ass... nothing makes the adrenaline pump harder. You never get this in Slayer.

343 needs to focus heavily on objective gametypes for Halo 4. Force people in to objectives. Or coax. People are scared to try anything new, they just want to be put in to a game and start shooting.

This post is awesome.

I remember when Team Skirmish was DA SHIT in Halo 2. 1 Flag CTF/Assault on Zanizbar, Multiflag on Beaver Creak, 3 Plots on Ascension and Midship. I say the degeneration of the quality playlists and slapping them together with Slayer(which is all anyone votes for) is my biggest problem with post-H2 Halo games as well.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I really don't think it's the "too cool" thing, it's the main stage imo. When I played and attended events everybody was hyped. The new main stage works well for getting more people in the crowd but you get the "distant feeling" when you are there, along with the lack of hearing commentating. This mixed with a less exciting game is the result. Don't get me wrong I still like watching Reach but live Halo 2/3 was a lot more exciting.

No it's definitely different. I went to the Playoffs in 06 and that was the first event I went to(spectated) It was so different. It was like magical. The semi circle of bleachers was awesome. I remember how close I was sitting to Final Boss and Str8 Rippin. It was amazing. Now, the first 2 rows are like reserved seats. I understand that it's there for family members, which I did see some of but it was just filled with Pros and coaches when I was there.

This post is awesome.

Agreed, I actually enjoy BTB because it is pretty much objective all the time, it's sad because the maps suck.

343 needs to have some uber map editor so good map designers can actually make the map they wanted and make it look unique and beautiful at the same time.

What I most hate about forge in 3 and Reach is how lighting works, why two blocks put together should look different (darker or brighter), it's sad because if this doesn't change it might mean we won't be able to change daytime for our maps.

Remember that Halo 4 VGA fan trailer? Yeah, a German videogame magazine thought it was real and published a news about. So Halo 4 confirmed for the VGAs! OMG OMG! OMG OMG! It has to be true, because a video game magazine posted about it. lol.

And kind of amazed how many German guys are quoting David's and Fronkie's post here at GAF as source.

Homeboyd

Finally beat CEA on Heroic and found all skulls/terminals.. nabbed a few achievements on the way.

Don't think I'm running that Legendary unless it's co-op. Can you get the Legendary achievements while in co-op even if they don't list co-op as a requirement?

ElRenoRaven

Finally beat CEA on Heroic and found all skulls/terminals.. nabbed a few achievements on the way.

Don't think I'm running that Legendary unless it's co-op. Can you get the Legendary achievements while in co-op even if they don't list co-op as a requirement?

Yes you can. Course you'll lose your Halo Honor.

On a totally unrelated note Greatest Game Soundtrack that isn't Marty made ever goes to Stubbs the Zombie's lol. Been awhile since I listened to it and it's such an awesome soundtrack.

CyReN

To clear up what Urk said about Hysteria/Elamite earlier.

5YMBX.jpg

I'm guessing jurkstore was Urk and responded to some of it also.

This post is kind of getting long at this point, but what I really want to see from all this is for Microsoft to actually start backing their own franchise over IPs they don't own, regardless of with inhouse or second party made them. Halo is their Mario, but they keep treating it like their Metroid. I didn't see a single damn ad for Anniverary on TV. I've seen CoD hundreds of times and Skyward Sword about as many.

Hear hear

Did the guys get to play the game often? I and several others here liked Reach initially. It had that new game feeling. Hell, I liked Halo 3 at first too. It takes a while before the novelty of it being a new Halo game wears out and you notice all the flaws glaring at you. If those MLG didn't get to play for a long time I wouldn't be too critical at them for how it turned out. Btw, there are several problems with Reach not limited to bloom that I don't think MLG likely had any input on.

The maps has got to be the biggest one of the lot. Each Halo has had at least one classic map that the vast majority of the playerbase would welcome again in the successive game; Reach has not a single brilliant 4v4 map. The overreliance on Forge World has also been so damaging to this game.

feel

To clear up what Urk said about Hysteria/Elamite earlier.

5YMBX.jpg
So Bungie lied and didn't properly bring MLG pros in to test and give feedback on the game? Or just not this particular dude who urk mistakenly name-dropped instead of some other mlg dude?

Blinding

So Bungie didn't bring MLG pros in to test and give feedback on the game? Or just not this particular dude who urk mistakenly name-dropped instead of some other mlg dude?

I believe Walshy was the one that actually flew out to Seattle and did some play testing, but Urk even clarified that he was talking about Hysteria and Elamite at PAX, so not quite sure why he would reference them to make a point about pro involvement during testing when I'm not sure that's really considered testing. Oh well.

CyReN

So Bungie lied and didn't properly bring MLG pros in to test and give feedback on the game? Or just not this particular dude who urk mistakenly name-dropped instead of some other mlg dude?

No one to my knowledge has tested any Halo Reach besides this 1 game and the beta.

I'd imagine the latter. I think Urk could only remember two of the names but what I got from his wording were they were only two of numerous MLG people they had brought in.

Edit: And my thinking might very well be off :p

kylej

Banned
MLG community - grassroots effort to revive Halo, community coming together and producing great content

Bungie employees - blaming others for halfassed game

Thank god this franchise is in the hands of 343.

I immediately disliked the new stage and production setups for mlg this season, particularly the decision to have Puckett, Scott and Shockwave in a seperate section. It felt extremely sterile, almost like an aftershow highlights analysis centre instead of commentators in the booth in the thick of the crowd. That and the interminable slew of grey forge maps every event harmed mlg this season. I wouldn't say the gameplay in itself was boring. First event, Enable was incredible to watch, neighbor with the 50-49 camo snipe on sanctuary, Blaze going huge all Sunday when Infamous won...

CyReN

To be fair Urk has apologized for his statements. Here they are:

JLxYI.jpg

Also Ninja/Mikwen montage will be coming out tonight for those who enjoyed those.

That's pretty funny. We get a LOT of questions - many of them are stupid. I've NEVER been asked that - EVER. Not even once.

You must talk to a userbase that has zero overlap with HBO.

You're totally missing what Fyre's saying - and what Bungie has said a number of times.

The COUNTING methods for the two games are different. Even today. It's just the way they were set up.

The population counts, as reported by Bungie.net, are NOT directly comparable. Bungie has said this many, many times.

Ah fair enough, I assumed Fyre was explaining why the in game counter was broken, in my defence Fyre did say something along the lines of "it depends if hes getting his numbers from Bnet or counting the playlists up".

Im not missing what Fyre's saying, if I did I wouldnt have responded asking if the bnet stats are accurate.

I also have been asked in the past if Reach is a full game or another side story. But generally by guys who dont really game a whole lot.

Top Bottom