• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Trey

You do realize Halo is the game where you don't even have to be aiming at an enemy to kill him with your AR - a full automatic spray weapon that is proclaimed 'iconic' and that you are forced to start with in the majority of gametypes? COD isn't dumbed down it's just different. I've already had this conversation with HaloGAF. If you really think it's dumbed down, play COD against my friends and I and after we make your butthole disintegrate, tell me again how it takes no skill and has no strategy and is for babies.

I said none of the last sentence other than that it's dumbed down. One to one encounters boil down to who saw whom first, which means the actual killing has little depth. There is strategy in CoD, and it can be intense, although the interaction is purely positional. The meta changes very little, and the design is such that individual skill is truncated in favor of more fast paced action. There is a very small execution barrier involved in the game. You can excel at the game up to a certain point, especially as a team, but because you could beat me (someone who doesn't play it as often as yourself) does not mean it isn't dumbed down. Especially when rewards are divied out for a variety of reasons, sometimes not even relative to what's happening in game.

You cite the example of Halo's automatic weapon; CoD aims for you at the press of a button. Let's not throw stones here.

kylej

Banned
I said none of the last sentence other than that it's dumbed down. One to one encounters boil down to who saw whom first, which means the actual killing has little depth. There is strategy in CoD, and it can be intense, although the interaction is purely positional. The meta changes very little, and the design is such that individual skill is truncated in favor of more fast paced action. There is a very small execution barrier involved in the game. You can excel at the game up to a certain point, especially as a team, but because you could beat me (someone who doesn't play it as often as yourself) does not mean it isn't dumbed down. Especially when rewards are divied out for a variety of reasons, sometimes not even relative to what's happening in game.

You cite the example of Halo's automatic weapon; CoD aims for you at the press of a button. Let's not throw stones here.

Don't care. hope this helps!!!

man this rules http://kimjongildroppingthebass.tumblr.com/

Gui_PT

:lol now that we are getting OT I'll share with HaloGAF what happened to me 3 days ago, pretty intense.

So I was gonna cross the street while playing loud music on my earphones, suddenly a truck full of Coca Cola empty bottles (hundreds of them) do a quick
manuever in order to avoid me while dropping all the bottles into the ground, loudest sound I have ever heard! There's broken glass all over the road and a bunch of cars behind me.

I proceed to run as fast as I can from there.

I feel bad for the driver as it was probably discounted from his salary :(

I think I heard that from over here.

Good games guys. Xand started talking shit about everyone after you all left.

What don't you like about them?

Mechanically?

The ridiculously inconsistent pistol, map design that feels as old as it is, shotgun-to-shotgun encounters that end with both players dead EVERY time (green bar connection, never happens outside this playlist).

Conceptually?

Finishing off a gun battle and getting cherry picked from across the map by somebody who just spawned with a pocket-sniper rifle (and happened to have it work).

"Situational awareness" my ass, there's nothing you can do about that on old maps with dumb-fuck sight-lines everywhere and minimal cover. In every Halo since, the ranged weapons have at least been balanced enough to give you a shot at getting to cover.

3-shot, 2x zoom pistol is still stupid 10 years later.

The complete lack of variety in gun-to-gun encounters and moment-to-moment gameplay (hey, lets circle-strafe and pistol snipe on our way to the power weapons, YAY!).

I got into the playlist for the non-Anniversary gametypes on the updated versions of the maps (85% bloom, bleed-through damage, revised armor lock, etc). They're getting fewer and farther between in the voting screens though, and rubes keep voting for Anniversary gametypes.

Just finished re-playing Halo 2.

You know, for all the shit the campaign gets, Halo 2 does interior combat a lot better than Halo 1. Regret, the last few moments of High Charity, Sacred Icon and The Great Journey.

Booshka

Mechanically?

The ridiculously inconsistent pistol, map design that feels as old as it is, shotgun-to-shotgun encounters that end with both players dead EVERY time (green bar connection, never happens outside this playlist).

Conceptually?

Finishing off a gun battle and getting cherry picked from across the map by somebody who just spawned with a pocket-sniper rifle (and happened to have it work).

"Situational awareness" my ass, there's nothing you can do about that on old maps with dumb-fuck sight-lines everywhere and minimal cover. In every Halo since, the ranged weapons have at least been balanced enough to give you a shot at getting to cover.

The complete lack of variety in gun-to-gun encounters and moment-to-moment gameplay (hey, lets circle-strafe and pistol snipe on our way to the power weapons, YAY!).

I got into the playlist for the non-Anniversary gametypes on the updated versions of the maps (85% bloom, bleed-through damage, revised armor lock, etc). They're getting fewer and farther between in the voting screens though, and rubes keep voting for Anniversary gametypes.

hurts my brain

MIMIC

Banned
No thanks on button combos, I thought we were playing a shooter, not street fighter.

Typical response. They both employ the same type of skill.

I don't think I'd agree.

This is like saying Halo and Starcraft employ the same type of skill.

Reminds me of a thread I was going to make a long time ago

Scenario: (for all intents and purposes) Best player A in Street Fighter has never played Halo; best player B in Halo has never played Street Fighter. If each were given 24 hours to practice and become familiar with the other game, which player would have the most success against the other guy in his respective game?

I know that there are a LOT of variables to account for (even with the respective scoring system, which make it even that much harder to compare their efforts) but I've always wondered which game (if any) would allow for more success at the highest competitive level. Or maybe it's just apples and oranges and any comparisons would be inappropriate.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Scenario: (for all intents and purposes) Best player A in Street Fighter has never played Halo; best player B in Halo has never played Street Fighter. If each were given 24 hours to practice and become familiar with the other game, which player would have the most success against the other guy in his respective game?

I know that there are a LOT of variables to account for (even with the respective scoring system, which make it even that much harder to compare their efforts) but I've always wondered which game (if any) would allow for more success at the highest competitive level. Or maybe it's just apples and oranges and any comparisons would be inappropriate.

I would say the Street Fighter player who is unfamiliar with Halo, would lose worse in Halo than the Halo player in Street Fighter. There are no maps to learn in Street Fighter. You could learn multiple combos with a character in one day as a complete noob.

It might just be an apples and oranges thing.

Tawpgun

Mechanically?

Conceptually?

I knew I shouldn't have asked.

Bolded made me question your perception of reality.

Ken

Personally, I find fighters harder to get good at than shooters so given enough time, Player A will probably perform decently against Player B while Player B will probably be free to Player A.

I would say the Street Fighter player who is unfamiliar with Halo, would lose worse in Halo than the Halo player in Street Fighter. There are no maps to learn in Street Fighter. You could learn multiple combos with a character in one day as a complete noob.

You can have someone learn every combo a character has in one day in training mode, but if they can't pull it off in an actual game it means nothing. Same is true of Halo: the player can learn that it takes x amount of shots to kill with y and the best placement of shots on the opponent, but it means nothing if he can't aim in a real game. Still, if one player had to come out on top, it would probably be the SF player; all he really needs to know is that if he puts enough bullets into the other guy (while not getting shot as much) he can put up a decent score.

Regardless, it's probably just apples and oranges as you said.

It might just be an apples and oranges thing.

I think the results would be very similar. The guy that cant play street fighter will most likely get double perfected(or come very close) and the guy that cant play halo wont get a kill on the other guy.

CyReN

Mechanically?

edward-norton-closing-laptop.gif

orznge

Banned
Mechanically?

Conceptually?

hahahahahahahahahaha

feel

Twitch app on the iphone is fucking awesome. It never stops amazing me that I can just watch some kid play Halo from wherever. (and I'm growing a bit addicted to it with the new NS ZB mlg rules and you guys constantly linking to the streams)

It only seems like it was a few weeks ago when I was playing Snake on my pre-smartphone era nokia.

The noob Halo player will do worse because 24 hour aim practice won't do anything. 24 hours will not do anything for a street fighter player either, but the noob can still mash and get the player to half life (which I would equate to like a kill in a ft15 1v1). I would say Halo noobs get punished more but Street Fighter has the higher skill gap, if that makes sense. The reason for that is you can get better at Halo through hours of playing. Your aiming gets better and you start to see which parts of the map are important to control and how the spawn system works. In Street Fighter, playing a game won't do anything for you until you look up information and building your footsie game is really really difficult. Just my opinion.

Top Bottom