• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

CyReN

lol maybe if this was Halo 3. I'm balls at Reach compared to 3. I was just surprised because there have been no pros from southern california before

Naded from San Diego, he's starting a gaming house with 3 AM players with Boss Nasti. T2 and Neighbor recently moved to CA also.

/mlgstalkerness

----

Speaking of which are there any Michiganders here?

TheOddOne

Mechanically?

The ridiculously inconsistent pistol, map design that feels as old as it is, shotgun-to-shotgun encounters that end with both players dead EVERY time (green bar connection, never happens outside this playlist).

Conceptually?

Finishing off a gun battle and getting cherry picked from across the map by somebody who just spawned with a pocket-sniper rifle (and happened to have it work).

"Situational awareness" my ass, there's nothing you can do about that on old maps with dumb-fuck sight-lines everywhere and minimal cover. In every Halo since, the ranged weapons have at least been balanced enough to give you a shot at getting to cover.

3-shot, 2x zoom pistol is still stupid 10 years later.

The complete lack of variety in gun-to-gun encounters and moment-to-moment gameplay (hey, lets circle-strafe and pistol snipe on our way to the power weapons, YAY!).

I got into the playlist for the non-Anniversary gametypes on the updated versions of the maps (85% bloom, bleed-through damage, revised armor lock, etc). They're getting fewer and farther between in the voting screens though, and rubes keep voting for Anniversary gametypes.
Seems someone had a bad couple of matches. I know that feel bro.

Take a step back, drink some tea and come back fresh.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Lan with us in Westland!

They are announcing it Friday.

Personally I think they will get a Top 24 placing, just like the golden ticket thing he did in 09' it will probably fail.

We'll see who's on the team but I don't know about a top 24 placing. I feel like this season, if Halo indeed stays on the circuit will be a tough one. I'm expecting well over 100 teams. This no bloom switch had a larger impact than I expected.

Tawpgun

More like if they are going to show some luvin to the Beast coast and visit PAX East. Boston's a pretty cool city guuuuuys. Cmoooooooon.

Tawpgun

Is PAX East anything like PAX Prime?

I feel like Pax Prime is the bigger convention in terms of announcments/developers there. Mostly due to most game devs being on the west coast.

But PAX East actually had a bigger attendance than Prime. By alot. It was the first time they did it too, so hopefully the west coast devs caught on to that.

Irrational Games is in the Boston area though, so its an almost guarantee Bioshock Infinite will be here. But I'm really hoping the west coast devs come.

And by west coast devs, I mean Bungie and/or 343.

and Valve, only if they bring Half Life 3/Episode 3. Otherwise they can fuck off. :)

I feel like Pax Prime is the bigger convention in terms of announcments/developers there. Mostly due to most game devs being on the west coast.

But PAX East actually had a bigger attendance than Prime. By alot. It was the first time they did it too, so hopefully the west coast devs caught on to that.

Irrational Games is in the Boston area though, so its an almost guarantee Bioshock Infinite will be here. But I'm really hoping the west coast devs come.

and Valve, only if they bring Half Life 3/Episode 3. Otherwise they can fuck off. :)
Don't fear too much. They will be there. Like you said PAX East had a bigger attendance.

If the HBO Lan doesn't start planning:)P, I'd love to attend both, but it looks like they will be at the same time), I'm going to check out if I can manage to fly to PAX East. Let me see how much money I'll get at Christmas.

If I get my money right, I'll be there.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I really hope 343 has got everyone together to try to come up with smart, creative ways of solving the quitting problem, unlike Bungies solutions which was piss poor, punished unfairly and generally useless.

The issue becomes differentiating between those quitting for actual legit reasons and those quitting because they are losing. You'll see that people that quit for losing quit a ton more, but doesn't it still piss you off when anyone quits in general? Dude's house could be on fire and I'm mad because now it's 3 on 4.

Any new quit punishment would have to base it on number of quits alone, but then again, what about the dude that quits because he's losing, but only does it once a day?

Tashi

What if you force people to turn off your Xbox to quit out? I'm sure the lazy people will just suck it up and finish the match. Also, ranks will help.

TheOddOne

While looking up info on Alan Wake's American Nightmare, I noticed this:

screenshot_274283_thumb_wide940.jpg

We're #1 For Halo 4? Secret New Games?

What if you just make the social playlists drop-in drop-out so that people can play what they want and avoid the frustrating downfalls of the current matchmaking model.

What was that method? I never quit out of an MVC3 game lol

So how do you stop normal players from having to deal with rage quitters? Simple! Just match people who quit early regularly with other people who quit early regularly. Suddenly you have an entire community of annoying, selfish players locked in a bubble, just playing with other annoying, selfish players.

Of course there are many factors to consider when trying to apply Capcoms method to Halo matchmaking, such as ranks, true skill etc.

Tashi

So how do you stop normal players from having to deal with rage quitters? Simple! Just match people who quit early regularly with other people who quit early regularly. Suddenly you have an entire community of annoying, selfish players locked in a bubble, just playing with other annoying, selfish players.

Of course there are many factors to consider when trying to apply Capcoms method to Halo matchmaking, such as ranks, true skill etc.

Hahaha that's pretty funny.

The only thing that I can think of for quitters is to put them in a holding pattern for gaining EXP/rank/Cr/whatever 343 has in store for leveling up in H4 until they start finishing matches consistently (for instance, a 2 game holding pattern for every game quit). The more they quit, the longer the holding pattern lasts. Conversely, you can do what Gears 3 does and add bonus EXP/whatever to those that consistently finish their games (although I don't know how that would really work with rank). The quit ban in Reach is just pointless.

Tashi

I quit when people are objective holding against me. Sometimes you're just getting absolutely shit on and there's not much you can do and then they objective hold on top of that. Nah, I'm not gonna stay for that. I have too much pride to stay for that. I do it sometimes to the other team though. I'm weird aren't I? lol

Falagard

Said this in the Anniversary thread, but...

Join in progress would not work in a Halo game. It is a game primarily of weapon and map control, it would be a case of joining games with no way of winning.

It works for Call of Duty and others because you can join at any time and still be on a level playing field. It's a bad solution to an even bigger problem, it would only make matters worse.

Not true at all, CoD and Battlefield etc. you can easily join a game that cannot be won or is nearly over, and in Battlefield there is certainly map control. It's mildly annoying to join a losing game, but at least you're playing - not waiting to join a game forever. In Battlefield 3 when you do a Quick Match it takes under 5 seconds to start joining a game.

It also works fine in Gears of War 3, which is totally about map and weapon control.

Said this in the Anniversary thread, but...

Join in progress would not work in a Halo game. It is a game primarily of weapon and map control, it would be a case of joining games with no way of winning.

It works for Call of Duty and others because you can join at any time and still be on a level playing field. It's a bad solution to an even bigger problem, it would only make matters worse.
It worked in Halo PC, but you know what doesn't work in Halo? Constantly being forced into matches with idling randoms or quitters or people trying to use the controller with the back of their knee.

People keep countering this with "but you join matches in progress and that sucks", well it's loads better than the aforementioned alternative I've been dealing with for nearly a decade. Once you enter that first match in-game, you can use then stay in afterwards and when the map switches you can have your fresh match.

I think the bigger issue with this is that with this advent of public player stats that Bungie incorporated with their websites people don't want to join a losing game for a couple minutes and then start fresh onto a new one. Hell, people should even be able to switch teams if they want, mid-match, to cancel out any mass quitting or general team incompetence. It works for every Valve game, and it worked in Halo PC as well. 'Cause for the social playlist, I really don't care about the competition of it all, it's way too random.

Keep in mind I'm suggesting none of this for ranked. Keep that with the exact same matchmaking concept since it makes the most sense for that.

Not true at all, CoD and Battlefield etc. you can easily join a game that cannot be won or is nearly over, and in Battlefield there is certainly map control. It's mildly annoying to join a losing game, but at least you're playing - not waiting to join a game forever. In Battlefield 3 when you do a Quick Match it takes under 5 seconds to start joining a game.

It also works fine in Gears of War 3, which is totally about map and weapon control.
But GoW's matchmaking and Halo's are two completely different things. In Halo, you return to the matchmaking lobby after each game while you actually have to quit to join another lobby in gears.

kylej

Banned
Top Bottom