• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Why not just fast, mechanized-supersoldier movement speed all the time?

Why do we need sprint at all? A spartan should be able to move at a pretty fast clip ALL the time, and still fire weapons perfectly.

I'm down with this too. Always hated reading the books about how ninja-like and fast Spartans were and then you play the game and move slower than marines.

daedalius

I don't think that's a very accurate comparison. In Halo and Street Fighter, you both control one person, whereas in SC you control many units

I was basically saying, roundaboutly, that they are nothing alike.

In my opinion, an arena shooter and a 2d fighter are nothing alike.

Now do you have to play both of them a significant amount to be an excellent player? yes; but that can be said about anything that takes any skill.

I'm down with this too. Always hated reading the books about how ninja-like and fast Spartans were and then you play the game and move slower than marines.

I find the movement speed in anniversary to be pretty good, any faster, especially with sprint, and people are just zooming around the map. Being quick and nimble is one thing, being extraordinarily fast is another. Nimble also includes LESS INERTIA. Spartans are apparently excellent at juking, considering how much plasma they tend to dodge in the books.

Karl2177

I'm sure most of you are aware of it (and will roll your eyes at this shameless plug), but there are always new faces in the thread to preach to.

Armor Equipment by ncsuDuncan

TLDR: Armor Abilities are the devil. There might be a middle ground between AAs and Equipment that everyone can enjoy.

That was a good read, and I agree with almost everything you posted. My only idea would be to maybe replace Jetpack with a sort of super-jump, if you will. The hover is part of the ability that kills me.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Have you ever played Street Fighter 4 against a top level player? You don't want rote button combos. And it would be a surefire recipe for unintended consequences.

When is Santa bringing the Primordium preview?
3AQmK.gif

I don't think that's a very accurate comparison. In Halo and Street Fighter, you both control one person, whereas in SC you control many units

The only way they would be slightly similar is if it's CQC. Part of what makes combos balanced in fighters is that they're only activated when you hit them (simple and obvious). You need to have great reaction on hit confirmations. Part of the reason you're able to do that in the first place is because of great spacing. Halo is nothing like that. People trade beatdowns, and 1 melee takes out so much of your life/shields.

And just because they're not similar doesn't mean they can't work. There just has to be a clear risk when attempting them. The risk would have to involve accuracy both in aiming and button execution.

Armor abilities are cool, Bungie just fucked it up by spreading them over all playlists. It should've stayed this way:

-Invasion and BTB should stay as they are, camo and al fixes should be applied to BTB though.

-Team Slayer, Squad Slayer...should be Sprint, TU Camo and Hologram.

-Arena would play fine with Sprint and Hologram.

-Objective should be Sprint, TU Camo, Hologram and Jetpack.

Much better that way, add 85% bloom with no bleedthrough and it would be awesome.

Falagard

Dual wielding in Halo 2 was completely fine, awesome even. I fail to see where the problems are. Starting with the SMG gave you instant access to doing it, which would give you a fighting chance majority of the time, the same can't be said for the terrible TERRIBLE assault rifle. It was also really useful in certain situations and gave the game the gunplay more variety. BR/SMG starts still win.

The problem was that Bungie had to tune the weapons so that dual wielding any combination of dual wieldable weapons wasn't extremely overpowered, which made single wielding those same weapons underpowered. So if you had a dual wieldable weapon, you had to have two to be competitive.

Some weapons just didn't work well at all such as the H2/H3 pistol and the Needler. Others were redundant like the Spiker and the SMG.

Personally I agree that dual wielding wasn't a game breaking mechanic, but I can see the reasons why it might not be that great of an innovation.

You're probably better off with better tuned and balanced weapons instead of dual wielding at all.

And it basically complicates the control mechanics (bad for new / casual players) and ties up another primary button that might have better uses.

Striker

Halo 2 had vehicle boarding which of all the mechanics they've injected, I can honestly say only made the game better. Those three listed are bad though, I agree.

However, Halo 3 had a great innovation for the series. Bumper Jumper! Too bad Reach fucked that one up too.
'Cept Halo 3's vehicle boarding brought the stun, which is awful. And Reach's lock-in is poopy.

CyReN

Dual wielding in Halo 2 was completely fine, awesome even. I fail to see where the problems are. Starting with the SMG gave you instant access to doing it, which gave you a fighting chance majority of the time (the same can't be said for the terrible TERRIBLE AR). It was really useful in certain situations, and also useless in others, it was balanced and gave the gunplay more variety. BR/SMG starts still win to this day.

It could be fun, I think my view is tainted by having SMG starts on Coagulation, Containment, etc.

daedalius

Does Reach really shit all over First Strike as well?

Halsey doesn't know what Ackerson is up to after she has met the Spartan 3s, and of course there are no mentions of any of the events in Reach as well. You'd think Bungie would at least TRY to tie back into this stuff a little.

/pretending Halo:Reach's story never happened

Does Reach really shit all over First Strike as well?

Halsey doesn't know what Ackerson is up to after she has met the Spartan 3s, and of course there are no mentions of any of the events in Reach as well. You'd think Bungie would at least TRY to tie back into this stuff a little.

/pretending Halo:Reach's story never happened
She knows Noble team's spartans arent hers but she doesn't know whether they are II's or III's.
Nothing was changed that I'm aware of in the books to make Reach more fitting wothin the previous canon.

Blinding

I never had an issue with the BXR in Halo 2, I however had an issue with double/quad shot. To me the BXR was very hit or miss and actually took some skill to use properly a majority of the time (thus adding a bit to the skill gap,) where as with double/quad shot it was ridiculously easy to use once you got the button combo down and allowed people to very easily win battles they otherwise would've lost. Maybe that's just me though. :\

Does First Strike really shit all over Reach as well?

Halsey does know what Ackerson is up to after she has met the Spartan 3s, and of course there are no mentions of any of the events in First Strike as well. You'd think Bungie would at least TRY to tie back into this stuff a little.

/pretending First Strike's story never happened
Fixed it for ya again. *trollface* :)

Frankie doesn't want to play with Europeans. =( You saw that Overdoziz had joined our game and didn't want to join us.

Booshka

I never had an issue with the BXR in Halo 2, I however had an issue with double/quad shot. To me the BXR was very hit or miss and actually took some skill to use properly a majority of the time (thus adding a bit to the skill gap,) where as with double/quad shot it was ridiculously easy to use once you got the button combo down and allowed people to very easily win battles they otherwise would've lost. Maybe that's just me though. :\

Felt like the exact opposite for me, Dub shot and quad shotting was much harder for me than BXR or BXB, or the nade reload glitch off-host. I felt that the double shot combo took more dexterity than any other glitches, and the punishment was just as severe as others if you missed it.

kylej

Banned
Have you ever played Street Fighter 4 against a top level player? You don't want rote button combos. And it would be a surefire recipe for unintended consequences.

translation: AR equivalent as starting weapon in Halo 4, grunts, same shit different number.

The fact that you think BXR is equivalent to professional fighting game play, and worry about "unintended consequences" from it makes me scared. Should YY be removed? Should Gandhi hopping be removed?

Dumbing down the game has failed over and over and over again (SMGs, equipment, AAs, etc). Stop developing Halo with this mythical golden trifecta sandbox man-child in mind. The casuals are gone despite blindly following that path for years. If anything, the success of COD and Battlefield proves that players want choice. Instead of hamfistedly forcing ARs down everyone's throat, actually give people some damn options. COD lets you pick whatever weapon you want to use when you want to use it - it's the biggest franchise in the world. Battlefield does the same, and adds vehicles to the mix - demolished Reach in sales. I'm not saying run rampant with 500 guns and 40 perks and all that shit, just let people choose specific matchmaking gametypes they want to play in and let them pick a starting weapon other than ARs.

Following this weird golden pyramid 30 seconds of fun nonsense has brought the franchise to its knees, do something bold for once.

Trey

The fact that you think BXR is equivalent to professional fighting game play, and worry about "unintended consequences" from it makes me scared. Should YY be removed? Should Gandhi hopping be removed?

Following this weird golden pyramid 30 seconds of fun nonsense has brought the franchise to its knees, do something bold for once.

CoD and Battlefield aped that thirty seconds of fun model and improved upon it. It's not a broken concept. And you claim that Halo lost players because it was dumbing things down, whereas you cannot dumb things down further in CoD and still call what's left a game. Which is it? Halo gives choice in plenty of playlists, Invasion especially.

Also, OWV probably took the proposal too seriously. His response was a little hyperbolic, but gave across the sentiment that FG-esque systems wouldn't translate well in Halo. I happen to disagree to a point.

feel

He also cannot live without sprint, keeps pressing the sprint button on no-sprint modes.. Halo is fucked :(

but at least dat water

You wouldn't say that if you knew what Hydra said about you
:lol now that we are getting OT I'll share with HaloGAF what happened to me 3 days ago, pretty intense.

So I was gonna cross the street while playing loud music on my earphones, suddenly a truck full of Coca Cola empty bottles (hundreds of them) do a quick
manuever in order to avoid me while dropping all the bottles into the ground, loudest sound I have ever heard! There's broken glass all over the road and a bunch of cars behind me.

I proceed to run as fast as I can from there.

I feel bad for the driver as it was probably discounted from his salary :(

Context at least. I was talking shit about Xand :p

Whats a Xand?

Button Combo's kinda suck in my opinion, in a shooter game the better player should be the guy with the better situational awareness/ aim/ ability to stalk enemies, not knowing how and when to use a specific button combo.

As for the whole MLG situation, as much as I dont really watch MLG I think its decline is a sign of the fact that people dont really enjoy playing Reach seriously. Of course MLG is the extreme of competitive Reach, but the fact is even the more casual yet competitive players (the guys who dont exactly fit into the niche MLG market) might have watched a MLG top ten video back in the day.

As an example on a personal level, im no MLG player but I can feel the ripple effects of the competitive gameplay being less fun. With Reach I genuinely cant play that game seriously. I would rather jetpack around and just generally being a lunatic than actually try and get in the zone and 'play' the game on a more competitive level. I tend to enjoy myself more when concentrating and playing games to win and so im going to pick a game where being trying to be good is fun, rather than a game like Reach where I just muck about.

Button Combo's kinda suck in my opinion, in a shooter game the better player should be the guy with the better situational awareness/ aim/ ability to stalk enemies, not knowing how and when to use a specific button combo.
My stance on it is that if you're able to turn on someone and BXR them before they can finish you off, you have the better situational awareness/skill in that encounter, and deserve to win it

kylej

Banned
you cannot dumb things down further in CoD and still call what's left a game.

You do realize Halo is the game where you don't even have to be aiming at an enemy to kill him with your AR - a full automatic spray weapon that is proclaimed 'iconic' and that you are forced to start with in the majority of gametypes? COD isn't dumbed down it's just different. I've already had this conversation with HaloGAF. If you really think it's dumbed down, play COD against my friends and I and after we make your butthole disintegrate, tell me again how it takes no skill and has no strategy and is for babies.

Halo gives choice in plenty of playlists, Invasion especially.

lol

My stance on it is that if you're able to turn on someone and BXR them before they can finish you off, you have the better situational awareness/skill in that encounter, and deserve to win it

actual BXR gameplay recorded a few years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5peqApgUA&t=2m45s

Dunno bro, tried serching for Google Images... I have seen some disturbing shit.

Dat xand_Fairy.jpg

I just want to warn everyone not to do this. Never Google image Xand, just dont do it.

Xand I think your a dick for having that picture associated with your name. I know your reading this, you weird stalker.

That is all.

If the melee range is tiny, then yeah, otherwise I think its just a cheap kill that you could get in chance situations such as by meeting someone around a corner. Sure maybe it requires quicker reflexes to be the one that pulls it off first but I honestly would prefer to see a legit BR battle happen at that point rather than a quick CQC kill.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
translation: AR equivalent as starting weapon in Halo 4, grunts, same shit different number.

Dumbing down the game has failed over and over and over again (SMGs, equipment, AAs, etc). Stop developing Halo with this mythical golden trifecta sandbox man-child in mind. The casuals are gone despite blindly following that path for years. If anything, the success of COD and Battlefield proves that players want choice. Instead of hamfistedly forcing ARs down everyone's throat, actually give people some damn options. COD lets you pick whatever weapon you want to use when you want to use it - it's the biggest franchise in the world. Battlefield does the same, and adds vehicles to the mix - demolished Reach in sales. I'm not saying run rampant with 500 guns and 40 perks and all that shit, just let people choose specific matchmaking gametypes they want to play in and let them pick a starting weapon other than ARs.

Oh god I miss YY so much. It's the only thing I still do in Halo games. It's just not as fast as it used to be though :/

kylej

Banned
Yo Tashi, Im really happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but Neighbor on Guardian had some of the best YYs of all time.

Top Bottom