• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

PsychoRaven said:
So they're combining slayer and objective. There goes any interest in the classic playlists for me.

Complete opposite for me. My hype goes through the roof for that playlist.

He did say it was going to be very heavy on slayer, and I think the only objective games in the playlist will be Flag and Assault.

Ramirez said:
Starting with both a DMR and a Pistol is overkill...

Yeah I thought that was a little odd.

Havok

I'm not surprised, and I'm reserving judgement for now, but adding objective gametypes to a 'very Slayer-heavy' playlist when nobody votes for objective in combined playlists even now is a huge bummer. Getting flashbacks of nothing but Slayer in launch Halo 2 Team Skirmish.

I guess it's that or have none at all, given the state of Reach Objective.

Sai-kun

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Consensus was that it looked better than perfect. Halo gaf also remarked that Frankie looked especially brave and clever and could slam his junk in the fridge door without so much as wincing.

I winced just reading this. :( You are truly a man's man, Frank.

Havok said:
I'm not surprised, and I'm reserving judgement for now, but adding objective gametypes to a 'very Slayer-heavy' playlist when nobody votes for objective in combined playlists even now is a huge bummer. Getting flashbacks of nothing but Slayer in launch Halo 2 Team Skirmish.

Yeah I mean, Reach can't even support a 4v4 objective playlist. A classic, CEA required objective only 4v4 playlist. It would die in a matter of days, which is very sad.

ElRenoRaven

Steelyuhas said:
Complete opposite for me. My hype goes through the roof for that playlist.

He did say it was going to be very heavy on slayer, and I think the only objective games in the playlist will be Flag and Assault.

Yeah I thought that was a little odd.

Well good for those who like a mix like that. I mean that too. For me though I don't much care for objective gametypes. If I want to play them I go into objective playlists. And any time there is a combined playlist my luck is so awful that I get the objective gametypes 90 percent of the time. So it's not worth the waste of time to me.

I think the Anniversary pistol is kind of superficial, the ZBR DMR is far closer to the CE pistol in its design. Wish they had made the Anniversary gametype based around the DMR instead.

FyreWulff

Havok said:

We no longer have ANY objective only playlist in Reach, even Team "Objective" has a freaking Slayer gametype in it that people seem to habitually vote for.

Not surprised that the Anniversary one will be a mix.

If the Nov 15th update doesn't delete any more playlists, this is the current outlay of playlists upon CEA's release:

Competitive
Team Slayer
Squad Slayer
The Arena
Rumble Pit
Living Dead
Team SWAT
Team Snipers
Team Objective
Double Team
Multi Team
Invasion
Big Team Battle
Premium Battle

Cooperative
Co-Op Campaign
Score Attack
Firefight Doubles
Firefight Arcade

Community
MLG
Action Sack
Grifball

Beta
TU Beta

Anniversary
Anniversary Team Training
Anniversary Big Team
Installation 04
Anniversary Rumble Pit
?????

Ramirez

Has it ever occurred to anyone that TO is failing in Reach because of the AWFUL gametypes? Seriously, finding a game of Multi Flag on Asylum was like winning the lottery back when I played.

Something that absolutely has to be fixed for Halo 4 is that a game ends in 1 Flag/Bomb after the other team can't win anymore.

Havok

FyreWulff said:
We no longer have ANY objective only playlist in Reach, even Team "Objective" has a freaking Slayer gametype in it that people seem to habitually vote for.

Not surprised that the Anniversary one will be a mix.
Yeah, I mentioned this a few days ago, but the weightings in the Objective playlist are totally screwed up. Stockpile and Flag Slayer are showing up all the time (when one of them is an abomination that should not exist), and the rest is a relatively small amount of Pro and Ball gametypes. It's been that way (for me, at least) since the last update, and I'm not sure why.

The playlist desperately needs some love, but the population apparently doesn't warrant it at this point.
Ramirez said:
Has it ever occurred to anyone that TO is failing in Reach because of the AWFUL gametypes? Seriously, finding a game of Multi Flag on Asylum was like winning the lottery back when I played.
It's gotten worse since then, to the point where our group never plays it because we always end up with some awful combination.

FyreWulff

Ramirez said:

Something that absolutely has to be fixed for Halo 4 is that a game ends in 1 Flag/Bomb after the other team can't win anymore.

Team Objective has gasped for population since the Halo 2 days. It's just too much management for most people.

Don't know why they don't detect lame duck rounds, that only happens for Grifball for some weird reason. The primary fix to all that at this point would be global reduction of all 1 sided gametypes to two rounds, if they're not going to implement the lame duck detection in them.

Ramirez

FyreWulff said:
Team Objective has gasped for population since the Halo 2 days. It's just too much management for most people.

Don't know why they don't detect lame duck rounds, that only happens for Grifball for some weird reason. The primary fix to all that at this point would be global reduction of all 1 sided gametypes to two rounds, if they're not going to implement the lame duck detection in them.

Halo 3's objective settings were a 1000x worse than Reach. The only reason it's gasping for air is because it's been mishandled for 2 games in a row.

People don't hate objective that much, BF is centered around 2 Obj. gametypes, KOTH is healthy in Gears, Domination always has plenty of people in CoD, etc.

I really think Objective can become more popular, but I think in order to do so it needs significant changes to the UI to make it clearer and easier, so that anybody can play it.

CTF was fun in CE, but that's because I wasn't slow as shit with the flag and could drive while holding it. I feel like the way it's been set up in 2 and onward requires way too much coordination with your team that isn't well suited for a lot of people including myself who jump into matchmaking solo.

BTB anniversary playlist.

my_body_is_ready.png

FyreWulff

Ramirez said:
Halo 3's objective settings were a 1000x worse than Reach. The only reason it's gasping for air is because it's been mishandled for 2 games in a row.

People don't hate objective that much, BF is centered around 2 Obj. gametypes, KOTH is healthy in Gears, Domination always has plenty of people in CoD, etc.

At one point Bungie deleted 1 Flag and 1 Bomb from Relic 4v4 objective in Halo 2.

A map that was entirely designed around that gametype.

I'm not really sure why I even bothered with Halo objective playlists after that. BF is centered entirely around Objective so everyone playing the game is going to like that style.

FyreWulff said:
At one point Bungie deleted 1 Flag and 1 Bomb from Relic 4v4 objective in Halo 2.

A map that was entirely designed around that gametype.

I'm not really sure why I even bothered with Halo objective playlists after that. BF is centered entirely around Objective so everyone playing the game is going to like that style.

Just played under 24 hours of BF3, I can tell you right now fyrewulf, the majority of the games iv been have been played like slayer, unhelpful and down right stupid teammates.

Just because objective is the main focus of battlefield does not mean it always played as such.

The thing about objective gameplay is that it often requires a lot of teamwork and strategy, some people just aren't willing to put that kind of effort in or are dissuaded to do so.

Havok

Rickenslacker said:
I feel like the way it's been set up in 2 and onward requires way too much coordination with your team
But that's the best part! I love that a coordinated team of less dexterity and "skill" can stomp on an uncoordinated team of otherwise excellent players.

Havok said:
But that's the best part! I love that a coordinated team of less dexterity and "skill" can stomp on an uncoordinated team of otherwise excellent players.
And that's all fine and well in more organized environments, but as a matchmaking setup I think it's dumb and only servers to amplify matchmaking frustrations.

FyreWulff

Rickenslacker said:
And that's all fine and well in more organized environments, but as a matchmaking setup I think it's dumb and only servers to amplify matchmaking frustrations.

I can tell you right now that I've gotten people to play Objective, then they get lameduck round'd a couple times and would rather go back to Slayer since at least their actions mean something for the entire game.

The strange thing is they did it for BTB in some gametypes (Territories in Halo 3 with two rounds only was great), then other gametypes it was apparently "nope"

Objective holding for them is annoying enough, but when there's basically "here's another round of it", I see why people quit out as soon as their team fails to score in the second round.

Add in 99% DMR start in Team Objective, and now is it not only full of lame duck rounds, it's been made even more slayer-centric and hardcore, and I could not give less of a fuck even if the playlist was handing out 60,000cR jackpots.

Havok

FyreWulff said:
I can tell you right now that I've gotten people to play Objective, then they get lameduck round'd a couple times and would rather go back to Slayer since at least their actions mean something for the entire game.

The strange thing is they did it for BTB in some gametypes (Territories in Halo 3 with two rounds only was great), then other gametypes it was apparently "nope"
Reach BTB Territories is the same way. I don't know if I want all asymmetric stuff to be two rounds only, but that impossible-to-win detection is something that should have happened seven years ago, which is ridiculous.

FyreWulff

Havok said:
Reach BTB Territories is the same way. I don't know if I want all asymmetric stuff to be two rounds only, but that impossible-to-win detection is something that should have happened seven years ago, which is ridiculous.

Yes. I remember Halo 3 was coming, all "they're going to detect it now right? It's simple math, it just didn't get into Halo 2 in time for shipping", then nope.

Then Reach comes out and -still- doesn't do it... then they release Grifball, which DOES do lame duck round detection, but apparently beyond anyone to backport that to normal 1 Bomb and 1 Flag.

So we know now that Megalo can do it, we just need someone to sit down and write it.

Havok

HiredN00bs said:
For CTF, distance to cap point should be the deciding factor in a stalement. No more ties.
That would require any sort of distance-detection which appears to have been completely abandoned.
Also, it would take any of the victorious jubilation out of the team that just barely manages to hold off the attackers. Do not want.

I am hijacking this quote to get on my soapbox about reinstating a proper objective contesting system.

FyreWulff

Havok said:
That would require any sort of distance-detection which appears to have been completely abandoned.

I am hijacking this quote to get on my soapbox about reinstating a proper objective contesting system.

Get me a key to Megalo, and I will make it happen

FyreWulff said:

That so so much. Unlimited scoring, and just 2 rounds. So much better than the current setup.

And Ram, you are right.

Havok said:

Yeah, the couple of times I've played the Reach BTB territories is was two rounds, and quite fun.

Hey You

So when we get Halo CEA, we can install the maps to our HDD so we can use our Reach disk?

What if people just rent the disk, install maps and return? Would that work? Would it work for the person after that?

FyreWulff

Hey You said:
So when we get Halo CEA, we can install the maps to our HDD so we can use our Reach disk?

What if people just rent the disk, install maps and return? Would that work? Would it work for the person after that?

Export marketplace code I imagine.

Also, have we heard yay/nay on if Anniversary has matchmaking for campaign co-op, or if it's just ODST style invite-your-friends?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Just finished the podcast, pretty sweet. I'm happy there's a BTB Anniversary playlist so we don't have to go through any hoops to play Headlong all day. :p

I really wish 343 would've had at least one employee at each launch location for CEA. I mean, the launch locatons total 13 so it shouldn't be that hard. Oh well, still looking forward to it.

Can we play CEA at the midnight launch event or is it just MP maps?

What a brilliant podcast! Seriously, I could listen to that banter all day.

Had some really good games with Zalin, Xand and HiredNoobs earlier. Anyone take screenshots/clips of our BlainTrain around Zealout? I can render if need be.

Hydranockz said:
What a brilliant podcast! Seriously, I could listen to that banter all day.

Had some really good games with Zalin, Xand and HiredNoobs earlier. Anyone take screenshots/clips of our BlainTrain around Zealout? I can render if need be.
So. You played without me...

Going to give the podcast a listen when I'm shopping with friends tomorrow.

Karl2177

I'm playing through ODST right now. They need to release a screensaver of the ODST loading screen as well as the Halo 3 loading screen. Heck even Auntie Dot would be pretty sweet.

Karl2177 said:
I'm playing through ODST right now. They need to release a screensaver of the ODST loading screen as well as the Halo 3 loading screen. Heck even Auntie Dot would be pretty sweet.
I talked previously about capturing these and converting them to a screensaver format.

Im lazy but the setup is done now if juices or tashi can provide some decent rendering settings ill do it.

feel

hey 343i, leak early Halo 4 to people with the xbox preview app will ya??? (mass effect 3 early version leak wut)

And will listen to the podcast later, but SMH at lack of dedicated Slayer or Objective Classic playlists on top of 3sk pistol with bloom... sigh X a million

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Who do I have to pay to peak into 343's internal Halo bible's footnotes?

Halo 5? How the universe concludes? The final story? My poor brain is melting at the thought of it.

Ramirez

Letters said:
hey 343i, leak early Halo 4 to people with the xbox preview app will ya??? (mass effect 3 early version leak wut)

And will listen to the podcast later, but SMH at lack of dedicated Slayer or Objective Classic playlists on top of 3sk pistol with bloom... sigh X a million

The 3SK Pistol had bloom at PAX too, it's not that noticeable, on LAN at least...

Hypertrooper said:
So. You played without me...

Going to give the podcast a listen when I'm shopping with friends tomorrow.
I asked on here for players. If you were on your Xbox, you'd have seen a bunch of us on. There's only so much we can try to do Hyper :p

Slightly Live said:
Who do I have to pay to peak into 343's internal Halo bible's footnotes?

Halo 5? How the universe concludes? The final story? My poor brain is melting at the thought of it.
343 says this in the podcast...?

TOM T 117

Neo Member
In regards to the pistol... I can tolerate the minor bloom when firing semi-auto, and I can tolerate the incorrect ammo capacity and clip size. What concerns me most is the weapon's spread. For my own interest I made a video to illustrate the spread of each precision weapon. As is evident from the video, the TU Beta pistol is completely inconsistent, even without bloom.

In the TU Beta having a very fast fire rate and killtime, coupled with weapon spread, factors in far too much luck for the weapon to be reasonably available as a spawn weapon. There is no enjoyment to be gained from spamming in the general direction of a player's head to sometimes kill them in 4 shots and othertimes kill them in 6, or 7, or 8, or 5, with no means of distinguishing between luck and skill. Simply, pistol duels are not fun. A capped fire rate will go some way towards correcting this, but spread must also be narrowed significantly. In the video linked I will concede that the weapon was outside of its effective range; in Anniversary it should still maintain effectiveness at that distance.

The CE pistol was difficult to use, but it was not inconsistent. I am concerned 343 will have maintained inconsistency to compensate for Reach's high bullet magnetism & auto-aim and create the illusion of Halo CE, in which even pros struggled to pull off a 3sk on a regular basis.

Edit: Trying to satisfy players is already an uphill battle when considering the latency of online gaming; developers should work to ensure further frustrations are minimised - and yet they seem to consistently do the opposite. To gain satisfaction from competitive gaming the player needs to psychologically know they outplayed or were outplayed by a player, and must feel able to strive to get better.

Top Bottom