• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection should be recalled

Normally I avoid this kind of talk as it is typically over the top but I feel very let down by this game. I'm not even sure how they managed to release this game in such poor form. The fact that they have done nothing for people who preloaded and preordered the game is disgraceful. They made a callous business decision when they had to have known this game wasn't ready for November. This game should have been delayed. They even had a big launch event that was streamed live while they knew the game wasn't working. I don't get it. There is no way around it. They screwed Halo fans. This should have been a joyous return to beloved games but instead it has been a nightmare.

I feel like we're really starting to see what happens when you force your game out the door at some pre-determined release date and aren't willing to push it to polish it up some more. I'll be the first to say that games are probably even more complex than I realize, but that doesn't excuse asking people to purchase a game that isn't in better shape than this. And also, people keep on showing that they're willing to buy games day one when they are pretty broken, so until there starts to be a serious hit to sales (if Battlefield 5, whenever it comes out, has super-low preorders, for instance), there's little incentive to release games in a better state. Yeah, there's a lot of negative talk around this game, and people may think less of 343/Microsoft, but they still made their money on this game, and they'll probably make their money on Halo 5.

RowdyReverb

Im sitting on 296 matchmade games, 50 custom games, beat halo 1 and 2, almost done with 3. There were bad issues along the way but for the most part it is working great for me. It is really sad that some others are struggling so hard. I have heard reports all across the board on the patches' effectiveness. Such a wide variety of experiences and problems for many people, its far too varied to say this is actually a functioning product. It is functioning for me a large group of players, but for a lot of other people, it is non functional. I do think compensation should be given based on that.

I sometimes feel like you and I are the only users here that are having a positive experience with the game. It was rough for me in the first couple weeks, but it's been smooth enough for me lately for me to consider it release-ready.
I wonder why there is so much variability in player experiences. Maybe the issues all along have had something to do with variability in home network configurations

mdubs

Banned
What's the point? It isn't a problem with the disc so I don't see why they should bother recalling considering they'll patch it at some point. Maybe they could halt sales (they won't) but recalling is pointless.

Well, then it's like any other recall that you choose to ignore: you loose any and all rights to complain about a problem or of getting it fixed without paying.

What's the point though? Why recall? It might not work like perfectly or as intended but people can still play it.

Would recalling it fix it faster? It would just create all kinds of problems. If your really upset with it ask for a refund and buy it again later when it's cheaper.

Recalls generally only happen when a product is deemed unsafe. Is MCC causing bodily harm to people?

A recall is about the dumbest way to handle this.

Madness

Eh, I don't think it will be recalled. As it is, the damage has been done. Any game that isn't functioning well for launch month, especially a shooter will drop quickly and leave a sour note. Look at Gears 2, did a ton of damage to the franchise.

I agree the game should have been delayed. There were too many issues that were popping up that just needed time to fix, but the date was set in stone. While the initial launch day and launch week sales were great, MS cannot be happy that the game was #10 in NPD at a time when 1.2 million+ Xbox One were sold. Who buys an Xbox One and wouldn't pick up Halo? Only if they hear online or from their friends that MCC is broken and doesn't work. In the UK, on black Friday, it was #27 in sales. They probably only sold a fraction of what they really wanted to.

The last two patches have been good for the game. Finding matches pretty quickly, although sometimes it's uneven matchups, and I think because of the low player base, skill matching is really affected. You either have amazing people on your team, or guys who go 4-21.

Maxim726X

Sad that the game is still broken. I tried to just enjoy the campaigns on legendary while they fixed the MP, but the Campaign is just as buggy. Poor frame rates during split screen, and my save constantly kept getting fucking reset. I hope its fixed soon, so I can pick it up again...

Jesus even the single player is broken?

Wow. How does Microsoft let this happen to its biggest franchise? It's hard to fathom.

Yeah if you can fix a game via patches I don't think you can expect a recall. Throwing us some free downloads for a non-Halo movie/game wouldn't hurt :)

_Ph03n1x_

I am a huge Halo fan and bout an Xbone just to play MCC. I was hugely disappointed by this broken package. I couldn't get a refund because I bought a physical copy; I was hosed the second I tore open the shrink wrap. Now I'm keeping myself busy with CODAW and FH2 and even though I'm enjoying those games, but I still feel like I'm just trying to justify my purchase of the console. Halo was the only reason I bought an Xbone and now that's the only thing I can't do right now.

I agree with the OP that this should be recalled because that would stop more people from buying it and being disappointed with their purchase.

Green Yoshi

Imagine there would have been only a Halo 2 Anniversary edition. I guess this was exactly the plan until the beginning of the year. It could have been a polished game without any problems.

Wow. How does Microsoft let this happen to its biggest franchise? It's hard to fathom.

It's really not. Split screen seems to have some framerate issues and halo 2 seems to have an issue where it won't save your checkpoints but the levels are really short anyways.

Im sitting on 296 matchmade games, 50 custom games, beat halo 1 and 2, almost done with 3. There were bad issues along the way but for the most part it is working great for me. It is really sad that some others are struggling so hard. I have heard reports all across the board on the patches' effectiveness. Such a wide variety of experiences and problems for many people, its far too varied to say this is actually a functioning product. It is functioning for me a large group of players, but for a lot of other people, it is non functional. I do think compensation should be given based on that.

Genuinely curious, have you been entering matchmaking solo or with a party? I seem to have the best luck when I'm playing solo in the Halo 2 Anniversary playlist.

Jeff-DSA

It's really not. Split screen seems to have some framerate issues and halo 2 seems to have an issue where it won't save your checkpoints but the levels are really short anyways.

Uh, it has issues, dude. I've had 2 Legendary save files go poof on me, I had it skip entire cutscenes (which is incredibly jarring), and I even had multiple hard crashes to the dashboard. It was anything but a smooth experience.

npa189

The MP is frustrating to no end, but I've gone though 1-3 on heroic no problem. It is the most broken Halo title to date.

Jomjom

Banned

Nope not this. That is either 1) a complete misunderstanding of what a recall is or 2) an extremely selfish attitude.

A recall only benefits affected parties who feel like they did not get what they paid for. If you are happy with what you got, you can keep on feeling happy and the recall does not affect you one bit. Not wanting the game recalled is basically telling the other people who feel ripped off "I'm happy with it so F you!"

wow...wait, Polygon gets money from MS?

Yeah it's common knowledge they got 750k when the site was just getting started. How do you think Arthur Gies was able to get those tattoos in their self-promo (who the hell has promos for gaming websites anyway?!?!) and look so totally bad ass? As for ads, well every outlet gets ad money from pretty much every publisher/console holder.

HTupolev

The single player isn't broken to the same degree as the MP, but it's broken enough that if the MP was working great and thus not overshadowing everything, there'd be a fairly audible ruckus.

Ocassional crashes on resume from standby and occasional destruction of saved checkpoints isn't really "minor."

EatMyFace

Banned
But it's selling and people are stupid enough to buy a broken game. So why turn down money?

Anyway its a little late for a recall isn't it? A month since release.

Singleplayer works but performs horribly for certain titles and under certain situations, but ultimately I think the package is easily worth $60 for the singleplayer content alone. That said, I bought the package for multiplayer and it fails amazingly in that regard. So I returned it. Problem solved. If they ever fix it, they can have my money back, and if they never do, that's fine, too.

I don't think it needs to be recalled, however.

Campaigns work fine, if a little janky. All the issues lie with split screen and matchmaking and achievement issues. When you stack a few technical issues on top of those it feels really janky. Recalling wouldn't do shit at this point, considering they're pumping a ridiculous amount of resources into fixing it by Christmas.

vesvci

Banned
Yeah it's common knowledge they got 750k when the site was just getting started. How do you think Arthur Gies was able to get those tattoos in their self-promo (who the hell has promos for gaming websites anyway?!?!) and look so totally bad ass? As for ads, well every outlet gets ad money from pretty much every publisher/console holder.

No, it's a total coincidence that they rate PlayStation exclusives like The Last of Us lower than most other publications.

Good Morning ;)

Damn. So, MS not only does it actively do "astroturfing", but they also "sponsor" gaming media sites? Shit, I guess when you have that kind of money, life is but a game.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
As huge Halo fans, my partner and I bought Xbone's for MCC. I watched the vidocs and allowed myself to get really excited by them.

I've lost count of times we've both had to force-close the game in order to get the game to miraculously allow us to co-op together.

Other things like the lack of options to reduce or turn off the menu music, the lack of indicator or options that tell us our pings and whether we're in a system-link / LAN session, and the whole luck-of-the-draw experience when it comes to starting a co-op game. I haven't tried the other MP modes yet so I can't comment on those aspects but I tend to agree with everything in the OP.

The other thing is the input lag - I couldn't figure out why our melees didn't seem to be connecting or why it felt like it was going 'through' characters. And don't get me started on why we can't resume our game from a checkpoint or why selecting 'continue' will dump you at the start of the campaign again.

MCC was our first game on the X1 and it really dulled the excitement from firing up a remastered set of classics (and the Halo games look fantastic when they're working) and soured my experience with the Xbox One, perhaps unfairly, as a consequence.

343i and Microsoft better not fuck up Halo 5.

Campaigns work fine, if a little janky. All the issues lie with split screen and matchmaking and achievement issues. When you stack a few technical issues on top of those it feels really janky. Recalling wouldn't do shit at this point, considering they're pumping a ridiculous amount of resources into fixing it by Christmas.

They're pumping ridiculous amounts of resources into fixing this because trust us? Honestly, if you believe the PR spin by 343 you're a chump.

I think that everyone who bought and kept MCC should get free access to Halo 5's complete multiplayer suite when Halo 5 launches next year.

As huge Halo fans, my partner and I bought Xbone's for MCC. I watched the vidocs and allowed myself to get really excited by them.

I've lost count of times we've both had to force-close the game in order to get the game to miraculously allow us to co-op together.

Other things like the lack of options to reduce or turn off the menu music, the lack of indicator or options that tell us our pings and whether we're in a system-link / LAN session, and the whole luck-of-the-draw experience when it comes to starting a co-op game. I haven't tried the other MP modes yet so I can't comment on those aspects but I tend to agree with everything in the OP.

The other thing is the input lag - I couldn't figure out why our melees didn't seem to be connecting or why it felt like it was going 'through' characters. And don't get me started on why we can't resume our game from a checkpoint or why selecting 'continue' will dump you at the start of the campaign again.

MCC was our first game on the X1 and it really dulled the excitement from firing up a remastered set of classics (and the Halo games look fantastic when they're working) and soured my experience with the Xbox One, perhaps unfairly, as a consequence.

343i and Microsoft better not fuck up Halo 5.

Here's the thing. Regardless of whether or not 343 fucks up Halo 5, it still appears to be a drastic departure from what made Halo CE and 2 great. I wish this game wasn't currently on the market, because I'd rather have a full team of developers still working on this game and ensuring that it is the definitive Halo experience. If anything Halo: MCC should have been the Halo collection for those of us who don't like the changes that the franchise has undergone since 4.

Werhil

I don't know what the solution is, or if there is one at this point. We have a game which should be the pinnacle of a flagship franchise, and it hardly works over a month after its release. I can't honestly recall anything else this bad. This tops Diablo 3 easily, and its worse than any big MMO launch or expansion I have experienced.

For me, unless the Halo 5 beta is just amazing and works near-flawlessly, I feel pretty much done with this franchise. I can't help but expect to be disappointed though, and 343 has well earned that lack of confidence. I bought the Xbox One for this, and it sits largely unused. I can easily see myself trading in the console pretty soon.

Pavaloo

just got an xbox last week for this game, thought maybe some kinks had been worked out

while i did enjoy playing through halo 2 redone and the other campaigns seem to be really glorious in 1080p60fps, i really just wanted to start playing MP because i've played these campaigns a million times.. I have been able to get into 1 MP match so far and the other team outranked ours so hard the match sucked anyway. even then, in single player you run into the odd occurrence of enemy a.i. freezing and just standing still (playing heroic), or sentinel beams not appearing when fired. just weird jank

pretty bummed so far. i basically beat h2 and haven't been touching the xbox otherwise

kind of wish i got sunset overdrive or something

Farslain

I purchased a Xbox one mostly to play this game.

Amazon have already refunded me for my game purchase and the console was returned this morning.

So, I very much agree. We need to stop giving our money to publishers montha before a product is finished (pre ordering) and we need to stop accepting shit game releases. Alas all of the shit broken games this year have sold like shit off a shovel, so we'll be getting fed this crap for years to come I expect.

So far this year Amazon have refunded me for Destiny, Drive Club, Master Chief collection and Unity. Reason for refund: Poor quality.

This is the first time in my life i've returned a game because it was unfinished shit.

jelly

I think that everyone who bought and kept MCC should get free access to Halo 5's complete multiplayer suite when Halo 5 launches next year.

Microsoft will see how much hype Halo 5 gets and have a feel of the community temperment then adjust their balance if needed which could be nothing, cosmetic DLC, a map pack, Spartan Assault game. Gamers have short term memories and a great game seals the deal, Microsoft will take that instead of giving away free stuff.

Jomjom

Banned
I purchased a Xbox one mostly to play this game.

Amazon have already refunded me for my game purchase and the console was returned this morning.

So, I very much agree. We need to stop giving our money to publishers montha before a product is finished (pre ordering) and we need to stop accepting shit game releases. Alas all of the shit broken games this year have sold like shit off a shovel, so we'll be getting fed this crap for years to come I expect.

So far this year Amazon have refunded me for Destiny, Drive Club, Master Chief collection and Unity. Reason for refund: Poor quality.

This is the first time in my life i've returned a game because it was unfinished shit.

Not saying you didn't deserve those refunds, because you absolutely did. But you may want to be careful about too many returns in too short a period of time. Amazon is known to cancel people's accounts and whatnot for too many returns.

Do you know how a recall works?

They obviously do not. I'm imagining these people shouting "What if I'm enjoying my airbag on my Toyota!? I don't want Toyota to offer any kind of recall at all!"

or "What if my baby is enjoying the toy that may be a choking hazard?!? He hasn't choked yet, it's fine I don't want any recall on this! No one else should have access to a recall return either!"

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Here's the thing. Regardless of whether or not 343 fucks up Halo 5, it still appears to be a drastic departure from what made Halo CE and 2 great. I wish this game wasn't currently on the market, because I'd rather have a full team of developers still working on this game and ensuring that it is the definitive Halo experience. If anything Halo: MCC should have been the Halo collection for those of us who don't like the changes that the franchise has undergone since 4.

I definitely see where you, and many others no doubt, are coming from, but I'll reserve definitive judgement until Halo 5 comes out. I'm still concerned from what I'm seeing though ...

I'm sore about all of this, as well, but people need to be with their families for holidays. Back to work after, though.

Yep.

IKizzLE

The funniest thing about all of this is that it's halo.
Not some new ip, or annual sequel or a random fall blockbuster.

Fucking Halo. The disrespect Microsoft has shown it's literall Michael Jordan of a game franchise and the disrespect that they have shown the same fans that made it possible to even compete in the home console market is unbelievable.

Top Bottom