• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 Review Thread

Chrisdk

I had fun with the first Halo Wars campaign and it seems like i would like this one too then. Gonna pick it up when it's on sale, cause i'm not that into competitive multiplayer.

Maybe some coop fun though...

Nice scores, pretty much what I expected. Roll on midnight, gonna be one of those nights where I stay up way too late and will slack at work tomorrow :)

Tecnniqe

Banned
How busy is Blitz mode compared to campaign (AI, Units...)? Is it more demanding graphically? If Blitz mode is more demanding overall and it's stable on PC, that should mean campaign mode should also be be stable on PC.
Really depends. Some rounds there wasn't all that much others you had 6 people throwing scarabs and gunships all in the same spot + regular units.

Pretty stable on PC regardless.

Theorry

4/5

So has Microsoft pulled off the double whammy of pleasing both Halo and RTS fans? Apparently so. This is a game that can sit proudly in the Halo canon and also call itself a true, albeit hybrid, RTS. It’s instinctive to play, exciting to watch and packs in some genuinely new ideas that deserve exploring. And if you still can’t get past the inevitable compromises and unfamiliar UI, there’s always the PC version.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/16/halo-wars-2-review-real-time-strategy-game

To put the Metacritic score in perspective, Company of Heroes 2 has 80.

They dont relate. Halo Wars is being reviewed in the sense of a strategy game on consoles, where this genre almost doesnt exist, never had good controls, has no history and no competition and no benchmark. By a gaming press that loves to play on consoles and controllers.

Company of Heroes 2 was being reviewed against the full might of the entire strategy genre in all its incarnations and decades of presence and evolution and against its ilustrous predecesor which is the highest rated RTS of all time.

They're different beasts.

weekev

Banned
Man I predicted 80 on 12 games 12 scores prediction thread. Just need it to drop by 1. Game seems pretty solid. Pleased for fans of the series.

Soph

Few 6s 7s and someone even going for Game of the Generation score 9.5. I don't get it, is it mediocre or really damn good? Guess I'll have to read the reviews instead of just going for scores.

Soph

That's generally a good idea...

If it's all the same score, theres no need to read the reviews. I read a few now and the negative ones seem like PC RTS gamers shitting on it due to it not being as deep as their PC counterparts.

I'll go ahead and pick this up later.

Tecnniqe

Banned
They dont relate. Halo Wars is being reviewed in the sense of a strategy game on consoles, where this genre almost doesnt exist, never had good controls, has no history and no competition and no benchmark. By a gaming press that loves to play on consoles and controllers.

Company of Heroes 2 was being reviewed against the full might of the entire strategy genre in all its incarnations and decades of presence and evolution and against its ilustrous predecesor which is the highest rated RTS of all time.

They're different beasts.
Clearly not the case for every review as it's been compared to command and conquer.

Those games were on PlayStation back in the day.
There are tons of console RTS games but none have been done as well as Halo Wars.

I think the reviews will depends on the person and also the platform it's played on as PC is snappier.

Most reviews seem to favor that version too.

Seems to be doing pretty well with an 81 meta. Ive yet to order it because im not huge into RTS games, and frankly ive been busy lately. I havent even finished Resident Evil 7 yet. Ill probably get Halo Wars 2 and Nioh at some point though.

are the cinematic leaked online yet? i just want to know the story, ending and after credit scenes to see if they may play into the next halo mainline installment.

Absolutely fantastic that reviews seem to be exactly where I anticipated they would fall. Can't wait to try this out tomorrow. It should be an enjoyable time while I wait for the Switch and Zelda.

shandy706

Excellent scores for an RTS game in a world where they don't exist (on console).

I love RTS(s) and couldn't resist the deal for the game the other day. I've been putting time into 8-Bit Armies, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, and Grey Goo the last few months (among a million other games). I'm really looking forward to this game.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Sounds good, I'll get it when it's cheaper.

Also "Mediocre"? Wtf, how is 8/10 mediocre ffs

Quonny

Nice to see it scoring fairly well. Inventing ways to put typically PC only genres on consoles is kinda a thing for the Halo franchise, and when done well, is a good thing for everyone.

Tecnniqe

Banned
My colleagues review: http://twoleftsticks.com/halo-wars-2-review-step-forward-console-rts/

He enjoyed it save for a few minor issues.

Though Halo Wars 2 possesses more complexity than the original, 343 Industries and Creative Assembly have given us a very accessible game for those who have little experience in the RTS genre. Although more experienced RTS players viewed the simplicity needed for this accessibility as a weakness in the first game, that shouldn’t stop them from giving the sequel another look. The deepening of the RTS elements in Halo Wars 2 strikes a much better balance between freedom and playability. Add in a solid story, a wide variety of ways to play, and a fun, new game type, and the game is sure to provide hours of fun.

sounds good

Looking at metacritic the first scored 82 so this is pretty close. Good score and far from the medicore comments in this thread.

m23

Just have to wait for my copy to ship.... which will probably be tomorrow

Yeah I'll probably get my copy tomorrow too, was hoping to get lucky with an early delivery but not happening.

I'll be on tomorrow though, have a day off. Message if I'm online and you want to play.

Hari Seldon

Will Xbox one players be enough to keep this franchise alive? Sending an RTS to the Win10 store seems like sending it out to die.

Nice scores. I'm a bit miffed my PC falls just short of the minimum spec but at least there is the trade-off of loosing m/kb support and gaining the television for those Blur cutscenes rather than watching them on my older LCD monitor.

CrayToes

Pretty good reviews. I'm getting the ultimate edition for free so I'll give it a go but I can't really say it's my kind of game.

Top Bottom