• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halt and Catch Fire |OT| Starring Lee Pace - Sundays 10/9c - S1 now on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is, I think, the lowest rated original episode of an AMC series ever - or at least since Mad Men premiered. Even if this show were receiving universal acclaim, it'd be a tough renewal with those numbers.
I can't believe this is lower than Rubicon or Hell on Wheels or Turn or whatever other AMC shows people don't pay attention to. Low Winter Sun I can understand getting better ratings because of AMC trying its hardest to get Breaking Bad fans to watch it.

Why are you people bailing—are we watching the same show? I'm loving what I've seen so far.
It's super, super bad. I loved the pilot, but the last two have been horrible. Below Scandal quality.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I can't believe this is lower than Rubicon or Hell on Wheels or Turn or whatever other AMC shows people don't pay attention to. Low Winter Sun I can understand getting better ratings because of AMC trying its hardest to get Breaking Bad fans to watch it.

It is though.

Hell on Wheels actually pulls in decent ratings - 2+ million per episode (L+SD).

Turn averaged around 1-1.5 million.

Low Winter Sun, around 1.2 million. (especially bad because it had the fucking massive final season of Breaking Bad as its lead in)

Rubicon was at 1.1 million.

Halt and Catch Fire, on the other hand, is currently averaging 980K viewers per episode.

JaseMath

It's super, super bad. I loved the pilot, but the last two have been horrible. Below Scandal quality.
I don't think it's that bad. It's predictable, sure, the characters don't seem super captivating yet, and there needs to be some light-heartedness inserted somewhere (anywhere), but I'll give it at least two more episodes to start to make good on the promise of the pilot. The one thing that does really bother me is Joe, who has gone from supervillain swag to non-factor in two episodes.

I guess the saving grace for me is that, as a child of the 80s, I really, really like the source material.

This show really needs to stop trying to be this great drama and just be a goddamn show about hacking together a computer.

That title sequence tho.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This show really needs to stop trying to be this great drama and just be a goddamn show about hacking together a computer.

That title sequence tho.

Yeah. And this is going to sound like a terrible complaint. I understand that social media is a huge part of promoting shows these days, but liking this show on Facebook ended up being a huge mistake. Like they'll post something about taking The Ultimate Halt & Catch Fire Fan Quiz and I'm thinking "Really...the show only has three episodes, what is there even to quiz about?!" It just feels unearned. Like AMC is trying to make you think its more popular than it is. Yeah a stupid complaint on my end.

They really need to not be so serious 100% of the time. There is almost no comedic relief and the show suffers for it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Like they'll post something about taking The Ultimate Halt & Catch Fire Fan Quiz and I'm thinking "Really...the show only has three episodes, what is there even to quiz about?!" It just feels unearned. Like AMC is trying to make you think its more popular than it is. Yeah a stupid complaint on my end.

A lot of channels do this with their shows though.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 1: episode 4 "Close to the Metal""

As Cameron nears completion of the BIOS, a crisis threatens the project's future and requires all hands on deck to save the machine.

Ill probably watch the 4th episode on Demand. The thing that super fucking bugs me in this show is Cameron, She's supposed to be smart but all shes been doing is fucking around in her office and Banging Lee Pace's Character.. It feels like they are painting her character like a Female Jessie Pinkman, But it doesn't work.

I'm out. Donna and Gordon are the most interesting characters, but even an episode focused on them falls flat. It felt like manufactured drama, and then it turns out it actually is manufactured drama, blah. More wold schemes by Joe, still nothing interesting about him or Cameron.

RangersFan

I want to bail out but my extreme OCD to finish seasons of shows I starts will make me finish out the season. I finished Turn as well, I hope both get cancelled so I won't feel compelled to continue to watch both shows. Cameron is the worst, I hate every scene with her in it.

It takes a lot for me to quit on a show. Only shows in recent memory that I was able to quit on was Heroes and Revolution.

xbhaskarx

I mostly like the show, but it has one MAJOR problem:

The "sexy but troubled hacker chick" character is fucking awful and pointless, and there's almost nothing they can have her do that's interesting, because how do you show someone alone in a room writing code in a way that doesn't bore your casual audience without going into 90's movie "3D Internet world" mode (and this is too early for that in any case)....

Squalor

Well, I'm done.

Halt and Catch Fire, welcome to the nadir that is post-Breaking Bad AMC shows.

The writing is so sub-par. I just can't handle it anymore.

No, this isn't Low Winter Sun bad or The Killing bad, but it's not good or even decent.

Meier

Well, I'm done.

No, this isn't Low Winter Sun bad or The Killing bad, but it's not good or even decent.

Glad to hear I'm not missing anything by skipping this one.

The potential is there, moments are there, and the style and ambiance is there.

I'm not quitting because it's bad so much as I'm constantly frustrated that it's squandering it's promise, and it's not entertaining enough to watch as "bad TV" like Arrow or Doctor Who or a sitcom.

Denton

So sad this gets bad impressions, because the theme is wonderful and the intro is straight up amazing. Really wish quality would pick up and show took off.

Squalor

You aren't.

It's a damn shame. There is so much promise in the show's premise, and the actors are talented, but the showrunners, writers, and directors don't know what the hell they're doing.

Sober

Pretty much agree with that A|V club review too.

Yet, I still enjoyed the episode.

I'm getting close to done. Cameron spiraling after every little hiccup is getting annoying
Yeah, definitely agree with both of you. Hopefully this is the episode where every character turns around and stops being their stupid selves. It looks like we got some of that at the end.

This was definitely the best episode since the pilot, not saying much, but episodes 2 and 3 were really just out there and not really useful in any way in comparison.

Schlep

Haven't watched last night's episode yet, but I guess I'm easy to please as I like the show for the most part. I'd like to see it make a season two, but it doesn't sound too promising right now.

Haven't watched last night's episode yet, but I guess I'm easy to please as I like the show for the most part. I'd like to see it make a season two, but it doesn't sound too promising right now.
It's more of the same, so if you're into it, it's a consistent show.

I can't handle the Joe McMillan con ride anymore. It's so unearned and melodramatic. Every single episode he's doing the sort of shit that other shows would have similar characters only pulling once a season when they got finally desperate enough. I guess it's the show's gimmick, and we were all conned into thinking there was more to this.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Well, I'm done.

The Killing isn't bad though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Everything after the 3rd or 4th episode of season 1 was horrible.

Horrible is a very strong word, and one that I wouldn't use to describe The Killing. Even the latter parts of the first season, with the endless red herrings and whatnot, weren't horrible. The acting, atmosphere, and individual character moments were always very well done even if the plot got away from them for a time.

Ratings in for episode 3. Same 0.2 demo but only 765,000 viewers.

Episode 4 - 844K viewers 0.3 A18-49

Up a bit from last week but still horrible.

Horrible is a very strong word, and one that I wouldn't use to describe The Killing. Even the latter parts of the first season, with the endless red herrings and whatnot, weren't horrible. The acting, atmosphere, and individual character moments were always very well done even if the plot got away from them for a time.

Episode 4 - 844K viewers 0.3 A18-49

Up a bit from last week but still horrible.

I guess I don't watch enough bad television. Agreed that the acting and atmosphere were excellent. The plot was just so, so, so bad it really left a bad taste. You're right, if it were outright horrible I wouldn't have finished the season.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I actually enjoyed the latest episode. Strongest one we've seen since the pilot. I'm still willing to stick with this show now.

I wasn't planning on watching this show until I saw if Season 1 survived or not, but AMC was on at the gym, so I wound up watching most of the most recent episode (I think). It's the one where the BIOS gets fried and Glasses Guy's Sexy Wife comes and fixes it.

Thoughts:

Sexy Wife was the best character on this episode
Hacker Chick (Cameron?) seemed like a stereotype of underground hacker chicks with maladjusted social problems. Boring.
Lee Pace was pretty good as Joe. But why'd he get his ass kicked by cops at the end?
Who the fuck was that dude hanging around in Glasses Guy's house with a shotgun?
Why is Joe such a dick?

It was certainly watchable. I may check the rest of the season out when it wraps up if it survives for a Season 2. But watching this, I felt like it'd be more interesting if it was about Glasses Guy's Sexy Wife. She seemed to be the most compelling character.

I wasn't planning on watching this show until I saw if Season 1 survived or not, but AMC was on at the gym, so I wound up watching most of the most recent episode (I think). It's the one where the BIOS gets fried and Glasses Guy's Sexy Wife comes and fixes it.

Thoughts:

Sexy Wife was the best character on this episode
Hacker Chick (Cameron?) seemed like a stereotype of underground hacker chicks with maladjusted social problems. Boring.
Lee Pace was pretty good as Joe. But why'd he get his ass kicked by cops at the end?
Who the fuck was that dude hanging around in Glasses Guy's house with a shotgun?
Why is Joe such a dick?

It was certainly watchable. I may check the rest of the season out when it wraps up if it survives for a Season 2. But watching this, I felt like it'd be more interesting if it was about Glasses Guy's Sexy Wife. She seemed to be the most compelling character.
Yep. Kerry Bishe's character is the most compelling.

The only way I'm able to watch this show is to tell myself that the showrunner is going full 80s period by making the plot points, twists and characterization as cheesy and hokey as a low budget 80s action movie.

Grizzlyjin

Yeah I would probably have to say that Donna is my favorite character at the moment. She seems the most sensible.

Yeah I don't know what the deal with the shotgun guy was. I thought they were implying he was waiting there to shoot Gordon or something...but then you'd think Cameron would maybe mention that, even if it meant admitting what she was up to.

Joe is just so ridiculous I don't even know what to say about him. Oddly enough, he has become the closest thing to an actual antagonist in the show. Everything that has gone wrong so far is a direct result of his actions.

Sober

Why is Joe such a dick?
You missed the first 3 episodes? The pilot is good, but next two are MEH, but kinda set up what goes down here.

Basically:

Joe is just a fucking sociopath and basically piggybacked onto Cardiff to get them to build an IBM clone PC. This is what happens in the pilot. This is why when there is that scene at the ranch, it's actually the founder (Cardiff) and the Sales VP talking, and Cardiff is making sure that Joe isn't the one in charge of the project, that John is. So basically the SVP kinda arranged for Joe to get the shit kicked out of him to remind him who's really in charge. Basically.

Glasses Guy actually worked with Gordon on the PC project until he fired him last episode (despite initially keeping him on). It's his neighbour, iirc he was super chipper and a brown-noser to Gordon, who is the lead engineer on the clone PC project.

Also Joe is a dick because ~~mysterious Don Draper like qualities they don't want to reveal to us just yet~~

Except he isn't as good as Draper because right now he's pretty much just straight up a philistine and has no real talent to back up his shit other than what he knows that can fool most people.

You missed the first 3 episodes? The pilot is good, but next two are MEH, but kinda set up what goes down here.

Basically:

Joe is just a fucking sociopath and basically piggybacked onto Cardiff to get them to build an IBM clone PC. This is what happens in the pilot. This is why when there is that scene at the ranch, it's actually the founder (Cardiff) and the Sales VP talking, and Cardiff is making sure that Joe isn't the one in charge of the project, that John is. So basically the SVP kinda arranged for Joe to get the shit kicked out of him to remind him who's really in charge. Basically.

Glasses Guy actually worked with Gordon on the PC project until he fired him last episode (despite initially keeping him on). It's his neighbour, iirc he was super chipper and a brown-noser to Gordon, who is the lead engineer on the clone PC project.

Also Joe is a dick because ~~mysterious Don Draper like qualities they don't want to reveal to us just yet~~

Except he isn't as good as Draper because right now he's pretty much just straight up a philistine and has no real talent to back up his shit other than what he knows that can fool most people.

Oh. I see. So basically, 1980s Mad Men, just not as good.

This show seems like it would be far more interesting with Sexy Wife as the protagonist.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yeah I don't know what the deal with the shotgun guy was. I thought they were implying he was waiting there to shoot Gordon or something...but then you'd think Cameron would maybe mention that, even if it meant admitting what she was up to.

He saw Cameron break into their house so he came after her with a shotgun, thinking she was an intruder.

I thought he was murderous and drunk and mistook Cameron for Gordon. Could be wrong.

Nah, we saw earlier that he wasn't doing much else but standing outside waiting for Gordon to leave/come home. So he probably saw Cameron enter thinking she was a burglar.

I liked the latest episode, seems we finally have some moving pieces, I felt the show was treading water until now. Cameron is the worst part of the show so I hope she either goes as soon as her job is done or she gets more to do than stand around looking like the clichéd stifled genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom