• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halt and Catch Fire |OT| Starring Lee Pace - Sundays 10/9c - S1 now on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseMath

Nah, we saw earlier that he wasn't doing much else but standing outside waiting for Gordon to leave/come home. So he probably saw Cameron enter thinking she was a burglar.

I liked the latest episode, seems we finally have some moving pieces, I felt the show was treading water until now. Cameron is the worst part of the show so I hope she either goes as soon as her job is done or she gets more to do than stand around looking like the clichéd stifled genius.

Gordon fired him, so he had reason to be upset. Plus, earlier in the episode, he was shown waving goodbye to Gordon very sarcastically. Dude had bad intentions IMO.

Sober

I know this episode was another dumb ploy by Joe but hopefully this puts an end to Cameron thinking she's too good for everyone's shit.

Gordon fired him, so he had reason to be upset. Plus, earlier in the episode, he was shown waving goodbye to Gordon very sarcastically. Dude had bad intentions IMO.
Nah, I think he was just thinking someone broke into their house. Gordon fired him but i don't think dude is wanting to shoot him for that.

He was just being a concerned neighbor.

Nah, I think he was just thinking someone broke into their house. Gordon fired him but i don't think dude is wanting to shoot him for that.

He was just being a concerned neighbor.
Interesting, I saw it the other way with him wanting to kill him, but thinking back, your interpretation seems more accurate. I just went into wild dramatic thoughts because that's what this show does.

Trouble

Banned
I just discovered this show and mini-marathoned the first four episodes via on-demand, then watched tonight's.

So far I like it. Joe is a straight up sociopath and completely full of shit, which I enjoy.

NYR

Sooooo, they basically went from being closed down and laying everyone off to hiring a bunch of developers all in a span of time when one of the three major project members took a vacation (which is absurd to begin with considering their timeline)?

Joe is too smart for his own good. Gordon is too dumb for his own good. Cameron is too emotional for her own good. The most engaging person is the wife.

It pains me that this show is so medicore, such great material and subject matter only to be let down every Sunday night.

megamerican

Sooooo, they basically went from being closed down and laying everyone off to hiring a bunch of developers all in a span of time when one of the three major project members took a vacation (which is absurd to begin with considering their timeline)?

Yeah I didn't buy that at all either. I am also baffled at why they think firing a bunch of people is supposed to be an endearing character moment.

Axiology

I really felt like last week's and tonight's episode were both really solid. Like, my favorites in the show so far (with last week's being my absolute favorite.) It's still not god-tier television for me, but I'm starting to really like where it's all going, and the character interactions are developing in a really sound way, which I really didn't expect.

My favorite part of that is how people don't really let Cameron get away with her bullshit, even as the resident punk tech supergenius. Also, I like how the plot sometimes revealed in a very deliberate way, like when Joe thinks he saved the deal with the Japanese, or when it comes out that Joe sabotaged Cameron's project. Considering I felt the show had a slight slump following the pilot I'm a lot more engaged than I thought I would have been.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought that one was pretty decent. Cameron and Gordon were a lot better and the new nerd programmers seem like interesting/fun additions to the cast.

Watched this tonight before 24 and was shocked that it was actually semi-decent. I hope the rest of the episodes are more like this one and less like the first four.

Exis

I really liked 'Adventure' and am starting to like this show. Too bad it pretty much is on a deathwatch for a second season if they make more like this I would love it. I want to see this crew at Comdex.

TheOddOne

Enjoyable episode, mostly because of the tonal shift in the story. It’s less about evolving the bigger plot and more so about letting the characters be themselves and/or grow. The interesting thing for me was that Cameron and Gordon finally get out of their comfort zone and start carrying around their weight. The secondary developments were less interesting, like Joe having daddy issues, Donna attraction to her boss and (nitpicky) John finally standing behind the product. Understandably on one hand, they are mostly setup plotlines that will come back in the subsequent episodes. More of these types of episodes please.

TheOddOne

- Play the text game "Colossal Cave Adventure'' as featured on the last episode.

BrpS59_IUAEF4mp.png

I did like that one more than the others. Less stupid twists, but still stupid characters. The wife flirting with her boss was the big groan moment they deliver each episode.

Effnine

The show's been pretty entertaining for me from the start ... I was surprised to see a lot of you hate on it ... though to be fair, I banked them in my DVR for the first few episodes and watched them back to back (which I think makes shows like this more enjoyable) ...

It's just cheap drama. None of the twists so far have been earned. It's trying some sort of high quality Mad Men thing while also having constant big twists for the sake of it like Scandal. It's trashy.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 1: episode 6 "Landfall"

A breakthrough by Cameron places her at odds with Gordon, leaving Joe to make a tough decision. Meanwhile, Hurricane Alicia spurs some personal revelations.

Tom_Cody

What is the general consensus on this so far? I have all of the episodes saved up on my DVR and I'm trying to decide if I should five into it.

The premise and cast are really appealing to me, but I see that the AV Club scores have been middling.

What is the general consensus on this so far? I have all of the episodes saved up on my DVR and I'm trying to decide if I should five into it.

The premise and cast are really appealing to me, but I see that the AV Club scores have been middling.

I think the AV Club scores have been a little harsh. The show definitely has some issues but I've largely been enjoying it and it seems to be finding its groove now.

NYR

Wow, only 500,000 people tuned in for the episode last week. This show is sooooo cancelled. :(

ezekial45

Banned
Wow, only 500,000 people tuned in for the episode last week. This show is sooooo cancelled. :(

Yeah, what shame. The show is actually getting much better now, but I feel it's too late now. I would've loved to have seen where this could've gone in further seasons.

The show has got a great selection of music too. But it's set in the 80's, so it's not that hard to find music that evokes the era.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIb1GLhoP-U

I don't know how you guys could say all of the melodrama and obvious analogies are this show getting better.

I laughed my ass off at the brick. I said out loud as soon as they got weird about the window "hahaha and he has a brick!"

Tom_Cody

I think the AV Club scores has been a little harsh. The show definitely has some issues but I've largely been enjoying it and it seems to be finding its groove now.
Thanks. I ended up reading last night instead of diving into this but I will at least leave it on my DVR based on what you said.

It's already lost me. I gave it a few episodes and it's just not as "grabbing" as past AMC shows have been.

Shame considering the subject matter is something that really interest me and I love Lee Pace's work.

I'm one of the lost numbers. I was tempted last night but I just imagined how angry I'd be at some dumb twist or inflated drama and the urge went right away.

If people tell me this ends on a high note, I'll go back and watch the season.

I'm one of the lost numbers. I was tempted last night but I just imagined how angry I'd be at some dumb twist or inflated drama and the urge went right away.

If people tell me this ends on a high note, I'll go back and watch the season.

I'm hoping that's mostly over and the show continues to settle into developing the characters further. This story really started out with a bang and the pilot left most of the characters a mystery, and it's frustrating that we're still peeling back the layers on Joe instead of seeing how the "real" Joe interacts with the other characters.

Cameron is probably still the worst character on the show and Donna continues to be treated like a plot device instead of the fascinating person she should be.

I liked last night's episode, but I'm worried that we're already halfway through the season and the arcs will start to stagnate again.

Cameron is probably still the worst character on the show and Donna continues to be treated like a plot device instead of the fascinating person she should be.
Cameron was horrible last night, though I liked her kissing Gordon in front of everyone to protest the sexism.

Donna's been such a boss so far, so of course they're hinting at an affair with a coworker. Of course.

I get especially upset about this show because the moments where it nails it and it makes building a computer seem fun are so amazing, but everything around it is so cheap and hokey.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I decided to give this show a try, and watched all the episodes recently.

I have to say that it is its own worst enemy. Pace's character is way too many things to be likable. I wish they would tone down his personality, or at least make it seem like he's not completely oblivious to the real world. The last episode where he hung out with the kids added that facet a little, but it wasn't enough. His confession of the real cause of his scars was still questionable.

The husband guy is actually the problem, too. He doesn't have a personality. We don't know what his goals entail. He has a family but he goes from saying that it is not enough, to not. It doesn't seem like he knows what he's doing at all. He's almost like a blank character that's supposed to be filled in by the viewer. However, I don't feel connected to him at all.

Donna (thanks reading a bit) is actually the complete opposite of her husband. She's capable when she's needed, able to do what she's asked and still cares about her kids in a way that is not completely removed from her life. I would love it if she divorced him.

I am over their love-not-hate-but-tolerate dance.

I actually don't mind Cameron. She seems like a decent person even if she has problems with dealing with others. She knows (or at least has the guts to try it) how to manage a team, and we know what she wants, what her goals are for the future of computers.

I was really irritated by whoever decided it would be a good idea for her to feel sorry for Pace's character in a manner that she bends over and hugs him. As if this were a teen drama. That was terrible.

"OMG the guy I kinda like just told me a deep dark secret, must hug him now!"

annnndddd........adventure guy got friend zoned and just realized it when he saw hot guy in Cam's bed. notice his attitude change when she is talking to him later.

Kadayi

Banned
Yeah, what shame. The show is actually getting much better now, but I feel it's too late now. I would've loved to have seen where this could've gone in further seasons.

They finally figured out how to write this show, just in time for nobody to be watching it.

Indeed. Despite not enjoying the first couple of episodes I thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt and have found it a lot more engaging in the more recent episodes (aside from the inevitable wife/her boss liaison). Pity it's heading to the dumpster.

Matush

So I pretty much watched last 3 episodes in the row and I have to say it got a lot better. Acting is superb, story is getting there and I'm starting to like some of the characters. Too bad it will probably get cancelled. I can't remember any TV series that was similar to this.

This show can be really good at times, but damn, all this relationship drama bullshit and the budding infidelity plot-line make me want to shoot myself in the face.

I just want all computer stuff, though I understand that probably wouldn't make for a very popular and successful show. I'm fast-forwarding more in this show than I do with Game Of Thrones and Daenerys scenes.

I'm really only watching now for the opening credit sequence and to see how far down the sociopath ladder Joe will go.

And if the president or whoever he is makes a pass at Cameron like they may hinted I'm out

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

Joe is too smart for his own good. Gordon is too dumb for his own good. Cameron is too emotional for her own good. The most engaging person is the wife.

It pains me that this show is so medicore, such great material and subject matter only to be let down every Sunday night.

Yeah Gordons wife and the VP are my favs so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom