• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halt And Catch Fire S3 |OT| Great Minds Don't Always Think Alike - Tuesdays 9/8c

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

halt-s3-01bksdf.png

TVexperto

Season 2 was like a brand new show and improved so much, its fantastic how much they turned around this show Just like parks and recreations from season 1 to 2. hopefully they can keep up the quality. wish they would promote it more though. its my fav show on tv. even better than mr robot

The only reason this wasn't my best show of 2015 is because of how great season 2 of The Leftovers was. I can't wait.

Season 2 was like a brand new show and improved so much, its fantastic how much they turned around this show Just like parks and recreations from season 1 to 2. hopefully they can keep up the quality. wish they would promote it more though. its my fav show on tv. even better than mr robot

I am one of the few that thinks season 1 was just as good as season 2, but I did binge watching season 1 a week before season 2 started. That said I agree with you it is better than Mr. Robot (which I also love).

Natiko

Banned
Dropped it part way into season one when it looked like there was no chance of it being renewed only to pick it back up once season two premiered. Really glad I did, it's a great show. Excited to see where this season goes.

Redd

Love every character besides Gordon. Shame he got bogged down with that brain condition. Really glad Boz is getting more love he is very underrated imo.

Ok maybe I'll go and continue watching past the first episode of season one, I kinda liked the first episode but it sounds like it gets even better in season two.

tbh though I just want to watch Lee Pace do Lee Pace, I still miss pushing daisies.

Arkanius

Wait what, there is a Season 3?
I watched Season 1 and loved it, but never picked up Season 2.

Was it good enough to warrant a third season? The idea of the show was great, but it always seemed destined to fail. Glad to see it alive.

kevin1025

Banned
One of my current favorites. It felt like season one would be the last, and it felt like season two would be the last. The fact that we're getting a third is like Christmas! Very excited to see where the show goes next.

ido

Honestly this is my favorite show, and I am so glad they renewed it for a third season. I like it a lot better than Mr. Robot.

I stopped watching around 2x05 but what the hell happened to Joe? The 80s, obviously, but still

Mutiny needed a better network to keep growing as they branched into community services. Not being able to let go, Joe tried to get them to join a program he created at Westgroup. Working at Westgroup and being around his old friends brought out Joe's bad side and made Joe's fiancee, Sara, feel like he couldn't move on. She forced him to quit his job at Westgroup and they got married. They made plans to move to Silicon Valley, but Joe was scheduled to make one last speech at Westgroup, unveiling their new community services (chat, email, news, weather, etc.) at a shareholders' meeting.

Meanwhile, Joe's replacement, a failed entrepreneurial type from Silicon Valley, had his new team copy Mutiny's community services wholesale and Westgroup terminated Mutiny's service on the eve of its unveiling. When a Mutiny subscriber would log on, they would think they were using the same service except the name had changed.

Cameron and Donna got revenge by having Cameron show up to the shareholder meeting, seducing Joe, and tricking him into putting a virus (Gordon's Sonaris program) onto the network, crippling not only WestNet, but the entire company. Westgroup's stock took a massive hit, the business world was shaken, and Joe's father-in-law, Jacob Wheeler, was fired as CEO. Sara quickly divorced Joe and he was left alone in his Dallas apartment.

Donna decided to save her marriage -- and Mutiny -- by moving her family and the company to California, using the entirety of their savings. The business reason for moving the company was to have access to venture capital, larger talent pools, and to begin building their own network with a refurbished server. Before they moved, Gordon gave Joe a "fix" for Sonaris. Joe had an idea for a new kind of company, a secuity company, and managed to get $10 million in capital. He tried to get Gordon to work with him, but Gordon said he was done working with Joe.

Joe moved out to Silicon Valley also, now the successful tech entrepreneur he always wanted to be, but also completely alone and isolated.

I can barely remember what happened at the end of last season, but I remember it being far stronger than the first. Looking forward to this.

jerry113

Banned
Feels like the hiatus has been extra long don't it?

Wait what, there is a Season 3?
I watched Season 1 and loved it, but never picked up Season 2.

Was it good enough to warrant a third season? The idea of the show was great, but it always seemed destined to fail. Glad to see it alive.

Season 2 felt like a soft reboot in many ways. If I recall, reviews for season 2 were >> season 1.

I would rate season 1 to be 6/10; season 2, on the other hand, is easily at least an 8/10.

Mutiny needed a better network to keep growing as they branched into community services. Not being able to let go, Joe tried to get them to join a program he created at Westgroup. Working at Westgroup and being around his old friends brought out Joe's bad side and made Joe's fiancee, Sara, feel like he couldn't move on. She forced him to quit his job at Westgroup and they got married. They made plans to move to Silicon Valley, but Joe was scheduled to make one last speech at Westgroup, unveiling their new community services (chat, email, news, weather, etc.) at a shareholders' meeting.

Meanwhile, Joe's replacement, a failed entrepreneurial type from Silicon Valley, had his new team copy Mutiny's community services wholesale and Westgroup terminated Mutiny's service on the eve of its unveiling. When a Mutiny subscriber would log on, they would think they were using the same service except the name had changed.

Cameron and Donna got revenge by having Cameron show up to the shareholder meeting, seducing Joe, and tricking him into putting a virus (Gordon's Sonaris program) onto the network, crippling not only WestNet, but the entire company. Westgroup's stock took a massive hit, the business world was shaken, and Joe's father-in-law, Jacob Wheeler, was fired as CEO. Sara quickly divorced Joe and he was left alone in his Dallas apartment.

Donna decided to save her marriage -- and Mutiny -- by moving her family and the company to California, using the entirety of their savings. The business reason for moving the company was to have access to venture capital, larger talent pools, and to begin building their own network with a refurbished server. Before they moved, Gordon gave Joe a "fix" for Sonaris. Joe had an idea for a new kind of company, a secuity company, and managed to get $10 million in capital. He tried to get Gordon to work with him, but Gordon said he was done working with Joe.

Joe moved out to Silicon Valley also, now the successful tech entrepreneur he always wanted to be, but also completely alone and isolated.

Thanks! I needed to quick recap too! So excited for season 3!

I hope they can keep up the momentum from season 2; the improvement to the characters and story elevated the show from the slog of season 1. Can't wait to see what happens in season 3.

Pau

Ok maybe I'll go and continue watching past the first episode of season one, I kinda liked the first episode but it sounds like it gets even better in season two.

tbh though I just want to watch Lee Pace do Lee Pace, I still miss pushing daisies.
My boyfriend has never seen Pushing Daises and has a hard time imagining how utterly adorable Ned is.

I love Halt and Catch Fire but Joe is infuriating to watch. I mean, that's part of what makes the show but I enjoyed my simple love for Ned. :p

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Good OT. Subscribed!

I hope they finally realized Donna is the best character on the show and give her some good storylines this year.

Arkanius

I'm at the middle of Season 2 to catch up for Season 3.

Holy hell, it has been great. I loved Season 1 but I loved the direction they took with 2.

Tagg9

What the fuck did they do to Lee Pace? He looks awful with facial hair. And on the flipside, Scoot looks terrible without his beard lol.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
We Got This Covered - Halt And Catch Fire Season 3 Review

With the show’s heartbeat pumping away thanks to a gangbusters central duo, and one or two character twists that only deepen its addictiveness, Halt and Catch Fire season 3 is, yet again, an all-around better installment in a series not enough people are watching. And that’s coming from someone who nearly gave season 2 a perfect score.

kevin1025

Banned
A heads up!

I don't know if it's true or not, but it's coming from Alan Sepinwall so I believe it. He wrote on Twitter that there's rumblings that the 2-hour Talking Dead tomorrow night is actually one hour, and the first hour of the Halt premiere will be on for the rest of the hour! Might be worth DVR'ing Talking Dead or watching live if you're interested.

Edit: Beaten

Who knows if true but Alan Sepinwall tweeted this

Haha, we were in sync!

kevin1025

Banned
It came true, by the way! The premiere aired tonight (well, at the time of typing this it's currently airing). It will air again Tuesday along with the second hour right after.

This show is so shit.

I consider this show a guilty pleasure. I caught up with Season 2 over the last week and its a huge improvement on season one, especially the writing of the characters (well, now we at least have a reason for Gordon acting like an idiot, but not everyone else), but the period details are way behind something like Stranger Things.

S2 spoiler anachronisms
Joe wearing suit with rolled up sleeves at an oil company in Texas in the 1980s. Mutiny and Gordon inventing EVERYTHING (viruses and anti-virus software, chatrooms, Habitat, first person online shooters, etc). The cheesy prescience of everyone knowing the NES was going to be a huge hit. But the best one was "ring up all of our dial-up subscribers and tell them to log-off." How?

despite my own pedantry, its a very watchable show.

Hopefully S3 hits Amazon Prime in the UK each week the same way Preacher did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom