• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Han Solo is pretty much the main character of EPISODE VII; Delay Likely

Status
Not open for further replies.

MormaPope

Banned
Han Solo being the main character makes zero sense.

Star Wars is about that, wars and conflicts. The Jedi vs. the Sith. Now that doesn't mean there needs to be giant lightsaber battles that really stupid, but the conflicts should be oriented towards people that use the force for different reasons.

jtb

Banned
I have yet to hear a single remotely promising thing about this fucking movie. what a terrible idea. fuck you JJ abrams you and your shitty hack friends

jonnyp

So we have to suffer through that tired Grandpa mutter his lines for two hours?

Looks like it. My interest in this movie is gone. Young Harrison was awesome, but old Harrison is such a grumpy, charmless bore. Thought it was bad enough they were bringing those characters with the original actors back in the first place.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have yet to hear a single remotely promising thing about this fucking movie. what a terrible idea. fuck you JJ abrams you and your shitty hack friends

I called this shit as soon as they announced the original crew was gonna be in it. I fucking knew Abrams would fanboy out and give them major roles. Should have been a completely new cast of characters with NO relation to anyone from the original

Just CG him in

dftGrvq.gif

I called this shit as soon as they announced the original crew was gonna be in it. I fucking knew Abrams would fanboy out and give them major roles. Should have been a completely new cast of characters with NO relation to anyone from the original

I feel like this will be a mix of old and new, with this movie ushering the new characters into the spotlight. This isn't just those three characters. It's a new story with new characters, but the older characters are obviously still going to be part of the story. This episode may feature Han a lot, but it's not going to be about him and I seriously doubt he's the "main character." Again Star Wars is an ensemble effort. It would be weird to me if this came out and none of the older characters were in it.

Just kneejerk negativity as usual. At least wait for a plot synopsis before pretending like you know exactly what this is going to be like. It's not going to be 2 hours of bored Ford.

kirby_fox

Banned
Luke dying would be awesome.

That's interesting because right now we know fuck all about the story.

Luke gets brainwashed, goes to dark side. Han and Leia have kids who don't meet Luke because of this, and are sent off to Jedi school. Somehow Luke has to fight his nephew, only to realize all these years he's been brainwashed and dies so he can lift the curse and teach his nephew the ways of the Force in a very different way in order to stop the true villain
played by Tom Cruise.

...I'd be OK with that.

I hope to God they don't kill him.

This new trilogy will be dead to me if any of the Big 3 die.

Dead, non-canonical, but I'll watch them.

Han or Luke will probably die, Id bet on Luke (to become a force ghost quest giver for the new gen).

edit: and I so so so want Tom Cruise in this...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I feel like this will be a mix of old and new, with this movie ushering the new characters into the spotlight. This isn't just those three characters. It's a new story with new characters, but the older characters are obviously still going to be part of the story. This episode may feature Han a lot, but it's not going to be about him and I seriously doubt he's the "main character." Again Star Wars is an ensemble effort. It would be weird to me if this came out and none of the older characters were in it.

Just kneejerk negativity as usual. At least wait for a plot synopsis before pretending like you know exactly what this is going to be like. It's not going to be 2 hours of bored Ford.

Sorry, but this movie has a LOT to prove. It's going to be looked at extremely critically, and people have every right to be negative when they're casting an actor who hasn't had a good role since the 90s and including him in any sort of major role, making it really obvious that it's going purely off nostalgia instead of using a familiar world to build something new. It's a cheap springboard.

So we have to suffer through that tired Grandpa mutter his lines for two hours?

Yeah, I've really been hoping these rumors of him being the lead aren't true. Even if he were still the actor he was back in the day, a Han Solo focused Episode 7 still isn't something I really want. Old cast should be there as supporting characters with the new cast taking the leads.

Mxrz

This movie is going to be about as shitty as the last ones.

Star Wars has a huge history to explore, but nope. Gotta focus on the same old conflict. Future? Fine. But the Empire still honky-dory? Bleh. Let it go. Dream is dead.

Sorry, but this movie has a LOT to prove. It's going to be looked at extremely critically, and people have every right to be negative when they're casting an actor who hasn't had a good role since the 90s and including him in any sort of major role, making it really obvious that it's going purely off nostalgia instead of using a familiar world to build something new. It's a cheap springboard.

Yet a springboard we know little to nothing about, not to mention that execution is the most important part. I also disagree about the nostalgia pandering or whatever. I think it makes sense to have them be part of the new story, at least at first as the story nurtures the new characters. I think of it as a transitional film, and to me, one that needs those characters back at least one more time to feel more organic with the past episodes. They're simply returning characters. I don't see how that's nostalgic pandering. They're a huge part of the story.

But whatever, I don't think they could have won either way with some people. If they didn't have those characters back and have them be actively involved at least in VII some would complain about it and vice-versa. "Oh this was the perfect opportunity to have them come back! J.J. is a fucktard!"

sappyday

Eh I don't like the sound of this. I don't mind having him there most of the movie but the focus should really be on the new people. Luke should also be one of the main focus. Have him to teach the new generation and Luke seems like the person to get involved in a plot instead of Han.

I remember being hyped for the Matrix sequels. The first one was so awesome, I thought to myself "There's no possible way they could fuck this up." They fucked it up.

Is it really that hard to make a sci-fi action adventure without fucking it up with nostalgia and fan service? The new Star Trek films get a lot of shit here but they are very entertaining and generally well regarded by critics. They don't get bogged down with reverence for the Star Treks before it and are very accessible to casual cinemagoers. With Abrams at the helm I was thinking that they'd finally capture the fun and mass appeal of the original films but with 21st century production values.

But nope, they're probably fucking it up right now.

A-V-B

Eh I don't like the sound of this. I don't mind having him there most of the movie but the focus should really be on the new people. Luke should also be one of the main focus. Have him to teach the new generation and Luke seems like the person to get involved in a plot instead of Han.

Seems obvious to me Han's daughter's gonna be a bit unpredictable like her dad, and cause some trouble, and if anything he'd be chasing after her because he's a wise old fogey who's like, "look, this is more trouble than it's worth - trust me."

Then she's like, "naw, it's awesome!"

then he'd be like, "yeah, it is."

then he dies.

Boom, Han's character arc for Episode VII.

Eh I don't like the sound of this. I don't mind having him there most of the movie but the focus should really be on the new people.

...it will be though. For one this is a rumor on AICN. For two you can have Han have a huge role but have the new cast also have huge roles parallel with it. Han was a main character in the originals but he wasn't the main character. This new story will likely, and this is my speculation, but the older cast will be involved as the new story/threat is introduced along with the new leads, and then it will be the new leads primarily from that point. All the rumor states is that Han is "pretty much" the main character as he's leading a search party for Luke. It sounds like he has a really big role, but this isn't about Han Solo.

There's no way in hell they're putting a 70~ old man as the frontrunner for the revival of a multibillion franchise aimed at children. They can't be that stupid.

He is dude. Him and his daughter are looking for Luke. He dies in the movie though.

This movie is going to be about as shitty as the last ones.

Star Wars has a huge history to explore, but nope. Gotta focus on the same old conflict. Future? Fine. But the Empire still honky-dory? Bleh. Let it go. Dream is dead.

The numbered movies will always be about the Skywalkers and the people they come into contact with. Storytelling 101. The spin-offs will be the movies that explore more.

MisterHero

I remember being hyped for the Matrix sequels. The first one was so awesome, I thought to myself "There's no possible way they could fuck this up." They fucked it up.

Is it really that hard to make a sci-fi action adventure without fucking it up with nostalgia and fan service? The new Star Trek films get a lot of shit here but they are very entertaining and generally well regarded by critics. They don't get bogged down with reverence for the Star Treks before it and are very accessible to casual cinemagoers. With Abrams at the helm I was thinking that they'd finally capture the fun and mass appeal of the original films but with 21st century production values.

ST XI was awesome. The main fanservice (Kirk cheating the Kobiyashi Maru) was a fun little Wrath of Khan reference. Then the movie -umm- moved on.

ST XII tried to recreate Wrath of Khan.

y?? make the young'ins the star. Harrison is way to fucking old to have the most screen time wtf.

They will have screen time and development parallel with Han. In the rumor from Faraci just posted it states that Han takes the new characters on a journey to find a missing friend, presumably Luke. This isn't a movie that just has one "star" in it.

sappyday

...it will be though. For one this is a rumor on AICN. For two you can have Han have a huge role but have the new cast also have huge roles parallel with it. Han was a main character in the originals but he wasn't the main character. This new story will likely, and this is my speculation, but the older cast will be involved as the new story/threat is introduced along with the new leads, and then it will be the new leads primarily from that point. All the rumor states is that Han is "pretty much" the main character as he's leading a search party for Luke. It sounds like he has a really big role, but this isn't about Han Solo.

Yea you're right. Han was never a great on his own which is why being focused on him scares me but I there would be no point of starting this new trilogy just to give the spotlight to a 70 year old man.

We need new official info soon.

y?? make the young'ins the star. Harrison is way to fucking old to have the most screen time wtf.

Because you need to transition between generations. You can't just start with new faces. By the end of the third movie Luke's role will be more of a mentor and Han's daughter and John Boyega's character will be the stars.

Blader

This post doesn't make any sense. You enjoyed JJ's Star Trek films and his approach, yet -- based on absolutely nothing -- you've already decided that the very same director with undoubtedly the same approach has already completely fucked up Star Wars?

I mean, there's skeptical and then there's this.

Because you need to transition between generations. You can't just start with new faces. By the end of the third movie Luke's role will be more of a mentor and Han's daughter and John Boyega's character will be the stars.

I feel that will be the case before the end of this movie. The actual episodes are about the Skywalkers. It's just the way it is, and after this much time has passed and considering the role that the older characters had in contribution to taking down the Empire, they're likely prolific figures that would be involved in whatever new threat looms. If the rumors are true it sounds like this one involves no one knowing where Luke is, and that very likely has something to do with whatever the new threat is. Therefore Han leads an expedition to find him, and along come the new main characters. Han is the leader of the group which is where the lead character comment probably originated from, but it doesn't mean that this story is solely about him.

Perhaps Boyega is an apprentice of Luke's and that's why he wishes to join the search, maybe Daisy Ridley is Han and Leia's daughter so she ends up going... I mean there's a bunch of different possible scenarios. But if you think Han Solo is the main focus or the main actual character and that the movie won't feel new/fresh and that he's just going to mumble dialogue for a few hours... errr, no.

Luke can't die until at least the end of the second movie. He needs to be the Yoda role to the new Jedi. Han is as good as dead though. Chewie too.

This movie happens 30 years after the last one. That's plenty of time for Luke to have been a Yoda-like role to the new Jedi. I'm sure we'll get that kind of stuff in it. But if they're going to kill Luke it will be in this one, especially as, at least the rumor is that he's missing. Doesn't sound too positive.

Also having the new main villain killing Luke would make him a great villain right away.

This post doesn't make any sense. You enjoyed JJ's Star Trek films and his approach, yet -- based on absolutely nothing -- you've already decided that the very same director with undoubtedly the same approach has already completely fucked up Star Wars?

I mean, there's skeptical and then there's this.

iQVHEaLM7Kkrc.gif

Well they could be good. But when everything you hear about this movie, even in leaks and rumours, is doubtful to negative, and we have nothing else to go on, we can only anticipate the worst.

For what it's worth, the website in the OP posts a lot of bogus rumors, and their lead up to the prequels was especially wrong with "confirmed" "facts" and other nonsense, but people love and take that site as gospel anyway so who cares, I guess.

For what it's worth, the website in the OP posts a lot of bogus rumors, and their lead up to the prequels was especially wrong with "confirmed" "facts" and other nonsense, but people love and take that site as gospel anyway so who cares, I guess.

Yeah. I mean maybe there's nuggets of fact buried in the various rumors, but it's not quite enough to form a valid opinion about the damn film.

why Han Solo?

tumblr_n06su2DuTh1r7sku3o2_500.gif

he is hardly that interesting, him and Boba Fett are so fucking overrated in the SW universe. can't believe the plot revolves around a seventy-two year old man leading a search party for Luke.. really wanted the old cast to be minimal in this new film/trilogy.

Honestly thought these movies were going to be about Luke and restoring the Jedi.

Perhaps if it took place soon after VI, but in 30 years I would expect the new Jedi order to be in full swing. Also this way it can get the new plot going right away instead of spending a lot of time on "rebuilding" or whatever. I like the idea of jumping right in and seeing a fully nourished Jedi order after the events of the last film.

This movie happens 30 years after the last one. That's plenty of time for Luke to have been a Yoda-like role to the new Jedi. I'm sure we'll get that kind of stuff in it. But if they're going to kill Luke it will be in this one, especially as, at least the rumor is that he's missing. Doesn't sound too positive.

He is more than likely missing in the sense that he left a long time ago to be a monk. You can't kill a character like Luke after searching for him. Han has to be the one to die since his death will be the emotional anchor that makes his smart-ass daughter straighten up and train to be a Jedi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom