• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Han Solo is pretty much the main character of EPISODE VII; Delay Likely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Experien

I'll bet you cash money he dies at the end of VII.

Also, something just occurred to me... how did Darth Vader not figure out Leia was his daughter, like, way way sooner. She was an adopted princess. Her mother, a queen, died giving birth to her. Right around the time Anakin's wife died. And by ANH, it was clear they had at least a familiarity with each other.
I know the prequels made Anakin out to be a moron, but was he really that stupid?

Obiwan spent most of his life hiding Luke and Leia from Darth Vader. Mediation and that garbage.

Tookay

I think we're getting down to it with this right here. While I'm not going to call out the masses or question anyone or say that complaints aren't valid, well, I've seen countless films that are horrible, and I wouldn't put the prequels on that level. I do think they were okay; Episode II was the worst, but I still thought they had good stories and there was a lot of fun to be had. I don't see them as bad movies. I see them as problematic adventure movies just as I see the originals with points of frustration but also points of quality entertainment.

So, I personally do think they were at least okay movies but people acted like Lucas splashed battery acid on their faces. I'm sure many are going to quote this and say that he in fact did, but I think there's a huge difference between the prequels and legitimately awful movies. I think Transformers 2, Van Helsing, G.I. Joe Retaliation just to name a few are legitimately terrible movies. The prequels run circles around shit like that. That's why I'm saying that the prequels were going to take at least some level of heat regardless. There's going to be tons of hype for the new ones just as there was tons of hype for the prequels, but that doesn't mean that people are going to be level-headed about it.

It's Star Wars, and despite the hype, the pedestal that people put the originals on and the sheer expectation combined means that any film going forward is going to be put under a fanboy microscope and scrutinized to hell and back.

I mostly agree with this.

Guy.brush

Now that I think about it, a buddy team up suicide mission by Han and Luke could be really cool. Both know its time, both know it is the only way to safe the kids.

Let them both die at the end of VII with a giant OMFG moment and then let Luke return as a force ghost cameo for VIII.

shuri

Banned
Also, something just occurred to me... how did Darth Vader not figure out Leia was his daughter, like, way way sooner. She was an adopted princess. Her mother, a queen, died giving birth to her. Right around the time Anakin's wife died. And by ANH, it was clear they had at least a familiarity with each other.
I know the prequels made Anakin out to be a moron, but was he really that stupid?
Leia herself had no idea she was adopted. It was a secret between Yoda, Ben, and her adoptive parents. She was never ever told she was adopted. She lived a safe life of luxury as a space Kim Kardashian while Luke grew up on a moisture farm.

Ben went to live not to far away from him, in case something happened. Uncle Owen always tried to discourage Luke from becoming a pilot to prevent him from turning into a pilot and eventually ending up involved in the rebellion.

Luke became 'force-aware' with the training he got from Ben and Yoda, and that's how Vader figured everything out. He never knew about Leia because she never became 'force-aware' like her brother did, even if she could. She never got the training in the OT.

Yoda

None of the old farts should be the focus on the movie. I always assumed they'd be support characters to help bridge the story to the new generation. I really really don't think casting Harrison Ford as a main role is a good idea (if true).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
IMO, delay away.

It would bother me if they settled on a Solo-focused film as the best course going forward, and it was massively changed just because of an accident. I'd rather wait.

Abounder

Banned
Should be delayed, and the big 3 should be the big stars. It'd be like replacing R2D2 or C3P0 and that just isn't Star Wars like the prequels and cartoons have shown. The newer SW characters and their chemistry have sucked compared to the OT, or died too fast. Storywise it makes even more sense that the big 3 would be huge (not a fat joke) after blowing up 2x death stars and killing jabba

Keep the movie going on time.

Challenges like this can be made to work for a movie and make it potentially better than it originally was going to be.

Jaws had very little of the shark because it was always busted and it made for a better more suspenseful movie because of it.

People seem to think this is going to be another Kingdom of the crystal skull like vehicle for Harrison Ford. I Think this is true. Han will be front and center in episode VII, then he will die at the end a la Qui Gon Jinn. Just my prediction.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I bet they're going to start with him as the protagonist then switch to the new characters. Would be great for the posterior episodes.

LastNac

I called this shit as soon as they announced the original crew was gonna be in it. I fucking knew Abrams would fanboy out and give them major roles. Should have been a completely new cast of characters with NO relation to anyone from the original
That's what I wanted.

Disjointed, episodic, and as far removed from the movies as possible.

It's funny/ironic in a way, the series is called Star Wars but the movies have only really depicted one long pass war. Rumor has it that it is still going on in this new trilogy.

LastNac

EXACTLY

Star Wars is these actors. Star Wars is John Williams scoring.

I'm okay with a new leading cast. I just don't want these classics getting fucked with.

Also, [while I'm against it in general] I would be most fine with Luke getting killed during a dogfight in space. That would just be out of nowhere.
I don't think you get Star Wars bro, it's not five or six specific characters.

That's what I wanted.

Disjointed, episodic, and as far removed from the movies as possible.

It's funny/ironic in a way, the series is called Star Wars but the movies have only really depicted one long pass war. Rumor has it that it is still going on in this new trilogy.

No numbered movie is going to be about some random dude no one has any connection with. That's bad storytelling. You're watching a saga about the family that restored the balance to the force. The Skywalker's.

If you want to get asinine about the name. The clone war was a separate war than the rebellion in episode 4-6. That's two wars.

I don't think you get Star Wars bro, it's not five or six specific characters.

Oh you're an EU fanboy. Here is a way to explain simple storytelling to you. You can't go straight into a universe like Star Wars and start fresh. You need the original characters to open the door to it. Exactly what the Thrawn Trilogy did. More than likely what this movie will do since we know there is going to be spin-offs.

Oh you're an EU fanboy. Here is a way to explain simple storytelling to you. You can't go straight into a universe like Star Wars and start fresh. You need the original characters to open the door to it.

Bingo. Someone gets it.

VII isn't going to be about Han Solo.

This was taken a few days ago
harrison-ford-crutch1-e1404338500635.jpg

Palpatine is back, according to Ian McDiarmid.

Palpatine comes back as a Force Ghost..like Obi Wan. (Sith Lords learned similar techniques, which in some cases allowed them to physically interact with their environment.) Palpatine will not be a clone, not in human form

Naga Sadow style I guess, and Marka Ragnos before him.

Ford will be back on set, and Daisy Ridley's character may be named "Kira" or "Jaina"

Jacen and Jaina solo are so ingrained in the EU that regardless of whether or not they do any of those stories (they won't), using the names seems totally reasonable. I'm not some EU nut or anything like that, and I'm kind of glad they're wholesale ignoring it, but I admit that hearing different names for the Solo children (twins or not, however it works out) would take some getting used to.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Sounds awful. Grumpy ass Harrison Ford is the last guy I want to see in a starring role these days.

Seriously, Dude may have been a good actor at one point but he is in
Full
who_gives_a_shit.gif

Mode

I do not have high hopes if he is the main character. These days he only acts "Part Time"

Eggbok

I'll bet you cash money he dies at the end of VII.

I thought Anakin only knew she was pregnant with one child? So it makes sense why he would only know of one at first...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom